Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
old hand
old hand
S
Correct me If I'm getting this wrong, but this is a... Wyll 2.0 situation?
- mixed vision creating an incoherent whole
-> that incoherent whole consequently looks more fake than conflicted
- one or more aspects turn players off
-> Wyll was, at times, sleazy, while Karlach seems immature (?). People have been calling it a "teenage girl" effect

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Edvin Black
Here is the complete evolution of her face.
The best face was probably the penultimate one.
Dirt, scars, but she was still pretty.

But she definitely needs shorter hair.
Anything below the shoulders is too long.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Seeing as Larian wants to sell her as a romance option, I will accept that face. Could use some more understandable distribution of scars.

As someone with long hair, when is she styling this? With what? I dig the look, but this is flowy fantasy hair, accusation completely accurate.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Arkhan
Her voice-over on the other hand is a whiney London accent, which means she will never be in my party.

I'm with you on the accent. The Essex girl from hell, innit babe?

A mod that restores face scars and rougher features is quickly gaining popularity...
It's actually funny because normally players use mods to make their characters more beautiful not uglier.
The fact that most players prefer the "uglier" version shows how big of a mistake Larian made by giving Karlach a beauty queen face, which is absolutely unsuited to a barbaric demon slayer.
silly silly silly

veteran
veteran
Karlach was gorgeous before they gave her the beauty treatment. Even without hair. She looked much more the part. And as such she was much more attractive than the latest iteration. And the cast had more diversity.

But her voice never matched that awesome look and perhaps they didn't want to redo all her VA.

Originally Posted by 1varangian
Karlach was gorgeous before they gave her the beauty treatment. Even without hair. She looked much more the part. And as such she was much more attractive than the latest iteration. And the cast had more diversity.

But her voice never matched that awesome look and perhaps they didn't want to redo all her VA.

While I agree with pretty much everything you said, I think it's better to have just a voice that doesn't fit personal backstory than a voice AND face that doesn't fit personal backstory.

In addition, there are voice modulators.
If I can easily make myself sound like Darth Vader, I bet Larian wouldn't have too much of a problem with making her voice sound a little more "rough".

Last edited by Edvin Black; 15/07/23 07:17 PM.
veteran
veteran
Rougher ... yes ...
Uglier ... not even a bit!

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Rougher ... yes ...

Beauty is a very subjective concept.
But you can find it in the belhorder's eye.
laugh

Anyway, have you ever heard of rough beauty?
Women like Gina Carano.

Damn, it would be awesome if she did voice acting for Karlach.

veteran
veteran
Rougher ... yes ...

laugh

Women like Gina Carano.

Ha, wow, you are trying to get Larian in trouble.

Gina got cancelled for making transphobic/homophobic comments and comparing being a conservative to Jews murdered during the holocaust.

It's too bad, I really enjoyed her work up to that point and she had a promising career ahead of her.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Certainly not my cup of beer ...
But hey, to each their own. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Rougher ... yes ...

laugh

Women like Gina Carano.

Ha, wow, you are trying to get Larian in trouble.

Gina got cancelled for making transphobic/homophobic comments and comparing being a conservative to Jews murdered during the holocaust.

It's too bad, I really enjoyed her work up to that point and she had a promising career ahead of her.

Who cares?
She is an actress, not a politician...

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
Okay guys, I'm not all that keen on getting into this. I'd prefer that we leave discussion of whether and how far an actor's conduct outside their profession should influence decisions to employ them in video games to such a time as Larian employs Gina Carano or someone like her.

I'm not going to rule it out as long as any discussion is not heated and is conducted with mutual respect for other points of view. And as long as it doesn't derail this thread. But I'm logging off for the night now and if I wake up to find there's been a row on this topic, or anything written that will make these forums feel unwelcoming to people of various sexualities, gender identities or ethnicities, I will not be happy!

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Qoray
[quote=Blackheifer]
Who cares?

Hey, it was Disney that cancelled her not me. Personally I don't think we should pay any attention to what actors say.

But, she is pretty canceled though.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt, you guys were being excessively critical how a female character looks, please get back to that.

Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Qoray
Who cares?

Exactly.

We are not electing the next leader here, but we are trying to find the person who can do the job best.
It doesn't matter what the person's race, gender or political affiliation is.

Gina has good voice, rough face features and a very muscular body (she used to be a professional wrestler).
Unlike 99% of Hollywood actresses, I would really believe that she is a warrior who can knock down most men with one or two blows.
Honestly, I can't name any other famous, tough and muscular actress, she is the only one who came to my mind.

The faces of the characters should at least somewhat correspond to her physical reality.
In Karlach's case, I just don't believe she's a warrior. Her body and head just don't match.
And her teenage girl voice and speaking style underline it even more.
It just looks and sounds wrong and out of place.

I'd be willing to believe she's a rogue.
Hell, she actually has a great face, voice, and speaking style to be a great rogue.
But definitely not a warrior, or even worse, a barbarian.

veteran
veteran
How about Michelle Rodriguez?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 16/07/23 06:42 AM.

addict
addict
Everyone has a beauty queen face in this game. Are the designers non beauty queens?
OR evil WOTC came in Larian's offices with a "Faces that sell games " " Faces that don't sell games" promotion.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 16/07/23 07:19 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..

She has a good voice and can act like a badass, but her body doesn't quite match it either.
If you look at some of her photos in a swimsuit, you will see that she has a completely normal female figure.
No big muscles.

The problem with muscular women is that they only fit certain types of roles.
That's why they are VERY rare.

Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
Everyone has a beauty queen face in this game. Are the designers non beauty queens?
OR evil WOTC came in Larian's offices with a "Faces that sell games " " Faces that don't sell games" promotion.

I just can't bring myself to think of Lae'zel as attractive woman. All I can think of is "Shriveled frog woman" biggrin
Jaheira is also long past her physical prime and Wyll doesn't look like a face from an underwear catalog either.

On the other hand, Shadowheart is VERY well done.
She is no supermodel but she looks good and her face is realistic.

Last edited by Edvin Black; 16/07/23 08:55 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator

She has a good voice and can act like a badass, but her body doesn't quite match it either.

I really don't see what an actor's real appearance has to do with them providing a voiceover. Why do you think that's important?

(I'm not touching the rest of your post, which I think makes an unnecessarily controversial and broad statements about what roles specifically muscular women are suited for. But I'd suggest that when commenting on things that are likely to be personal and sensitive to some people, you aim for tact and try not to go further than you need to with the generalisations.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran

If you look at some of her photos in a swimsuit, you will see that she has a completely normal female figure.
No big muscles.

The problem with muscular women is that they only fit certain types of roles.
That's why they are VERY rare.

That is just our screwed beauty standards, there is nothing wrong wth muscular women. And I don't see, how voice acting has anything to do with how the actress looks. I'm pretty sure the VA of Halsin isn't that buff either. It's the voice, that counts.

I happen to be ok with Karlachs new voice, I had to get used to it, having played through EA so often and hearing her old voice. I still would have preferred her old face (the one with the scars).

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard