Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Niara Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Hi folks,

Guess this is the last time we'll be doing this, huh?

Time for another Panel From Hell – the final release panel!

As always, this post is a synopsis aimed at conveying the contents and progression of the panel show for those unable or unwilling to dedicate three hours of their life to watching it... for which this viewer does not blame anyone. It will be as spoiler free as possible, though in covering some elements there will inevitably be some spoils here and there as we cover updated or now-announced details. This will also contain elements of my own commentary and observations, but as usual I will attempt to be very clear which parts are my personal opinions and which are information as presented or shown.

As a note, I attempted to watch back the panel show on Larian's own website, but their site UI actively prevented me from scanning through the midsection of the video, since their immovable overlay blocked the scan bar no matter what I did... so I ended up watching it on YT instead like usual. I tried.

We start this panel as we often do with one minute or so of very nice fan art, before jumping straight into Larian's opening skit for another few minutes; Swen and Nick discuss missing spells, before signs of a sudden murder in Larian HQ cause panic and alarm. One murder quickly becomes a second after the lights dim, and in the ensuing panic, the remaining crew decide that it's time to go and do a panel from hell. … Biiiit of a non-sequitur, but sure, I guess.

The formal opening video for the panel focuses on alluding to romance and eroticism, and portentous dreams – we get some hints the confirm the presence of complete models for intimate sequences – something I've written about extensively in other threads; it's an interesting choice that they've gone this direction, and we'll have to see how far they take it (Hint: seemingly, it's pretty far).

After the video, we open onto a modest theatre scene, with a cosy audience count and Swen, dressed now in his lighter, breezier 'summer armour' greets the audience before talking briefly about the moved up release date, and confirming that EA supporters will receive the full digital deluxe edition of the game with numerous in-game and otherwise digital goodies. After a couple of minutes covering this, he segues into a cut in video talking so several of the other (unnamed) designers and developers of the game about Character Creation.

The video runs for about three minutes, and while the various crew talk about the changes they've made to the system and the journey that designing it has been, we get clips that show us a very much revamped character creation screen.

In this viewer's opinion, it looks much more polished and presents its information more clearly. We can see that the order of character creation is presented in order on the left – in the correct handbook order, which suggests that they may also have addressed the persistent bug regarding skill proficiency double-ups; there's no confirmation of this, sadly – this is just this viewer crossing her fingers. We see also that changing your appearance is a completely separate and independent section to picking your mechanical choices, and we get a glimpse that multiple body types are available. It also seems to have been vastly improved by a thumbnail system for most relevant visual choices – no more clicking through one at a time, thank goodness. Welcome to the modern era, Larian. There is also a sign that we might have a custom origin character – though sadly, this later turns out to be disappointing, in this viewer's opinion.

While we watch this, the developers and artists talk about the impacts your character choices can have on the way things unfold and how you're treated – but unfortunately they seem to heavily confirm that Larian's writing habit of tying your personality to your class, and really ramming one defining the other down your throat to be still very much in effect; if you want to reference being a sorcerer, you Will do it by being a smug, self-adulating arsehole, because being a sorcerer apparently means that, by definition. Very disappointing.

We come back from the video to Swen introducing lead character artist Alina, lead writer Adam, associate lead writer Crystal and resident druid Nick, the team's lead system designer, so they can all talk more in depth about the Character Creation Revamp.

We get a lot more detail here, and they dig into some of the specifics of it quite nicely. There seems to be a lot more detail and many more options that present currently in EA, with abetter UI and a better lay out. They take time out to mention that you can define your body type and how you wish to be referred to independently and they tacitly Don't mention the other button related to these, which is that you can also select your intimate equipment set-up independently of the body type you choose. This will no doubt be welcome news for some and will be relevant for the intimate sequences in the game – though this viewer is still a little worried about those, inasmuch as the current system is that non-player origin characters are Always Top... that's not a good thing to do... players should have a conversation with their partner about that (This viewer is also quite concerned that they don't really have a good grasp of the dynamics of D/s play in intimacy at all, judging from what we've seen so far, but that's a slight tangent).

We see more hairs, beards, tattoos, scars, piercings (available for all now) and freckles – though still no ability to customise ourselves below the neck in any way, with the exception of the aforementioned body type and genital buttons. On body types: They demonstrate that the body type section is more than just a masculine/feminine switch; several races have up to four body types available, giving us a bulkier or more lithe option for each... unfortunately, this only seems to be the case for Some races... which is just upsetting and annoying, more than anything else. Only some of the races on screen had four body type buttons – Halflings, for example, still only had two (presumably one masculine and one feminine). I was excited, and then crushingly disappointed again. I was also pretty sad that they took time to showcase each race as the focal point for talking about one element of their revamp... but then laughed at halflings and treated them as a joke, before skipping over them and going to the next race. Not classy, guys.

That said, one of those other races was indeed the Dragonborn, who seem to have quite a lot of customisation, and even some unique interplay between the base race and draconic sorcerers, which is nice attention to detail. Half-orcs also got a look in, which was good to confirm.

After this examination, Nick talks a little bit more about some of the crunchier mechanical aspects of character creation, and also confirms that the traditional Larian feature of a Respec NPC will be present, allowing characters to redo their class choices and other features. Crystal takes over, moving on to talk about the reactivity and dialogue repercussions of your class, race and other character choices. We're told of a quite extreme amount of material tied to these things threaded through the game, with the promise that there's a whole lot more even in Act I, than has actually been made available for us to see in EA. The conversation does really seem to confirm, unfortunately, that if you want to pick any of the class or race specific dialogues, you have to map yourself hard into the personality that they've decided intrinsically comes with this (all sorcerers are arrogant, self-fellating pricks, etc.), which I continue to find very distasteful.

Adam takes over next to talk about playing as the origin characters and confirms that they will definitely be locking major cutscenes, interactions and information behind playing as these specific characters, that you won't be able to access or learn elsewise. This viewer does not consider this a positive trait – at least not as long as the same is not also true for a custom player character. They show us a brief video teasing some of these exclusive scenes, before coming back to talk about the new 'Custom' origin character.

Along with another teaser video, this actually turns out to be, more or less, just another new origin character; you can customise their appearance and class and so on, but they have at their core a very heavily pre-characterised personality, and a name: They are called The Dark Urge, and they honestly read as an edgelord murder-hobo at first blush – which we are informed we will be able to resist... but it comes back to a choice that looks like 'be a violent murder-hobo, or don't engage with the custom content', which is not much of a choice. It honestly just seems like another origin character, the same as the rest, with the exception that you can change its appearance and class, and that it doesn't show up unless you play as it (so no Dark Urge NPC companion).

Nick then sets about making one for demonstration, while Crystal talks about Karlach, who is also confirmed to be an Origin character. As with Larian's other origin characters, she has her own flavour of super-special-awesome-so-much-more-amazing-than-you edginess, though she's a good-aligned character and seems reasonable about it, from what we had a chance to see. Your barbarian will never be as cool as her, or have the cool superpowers and special abilities she has; you will always be second rate to the Larian Origin character. Standard Larian fare, and not surprising here, sadly.

While Nick is still working, they list a few recruitable NPC companions; Halsin, Minsc and Jaheira, as well as recruitable Minthara... though amidst this there is no mention of a certain other earlier data-mined characters here... so either she's a surprise, or she did get scrapped and rolled into other characters... I'll be a little sad if that's the case, I was looking forward to meeting her. They also discuss a heavy re-write on Wyll's character and story, which they felt wasn't being communicated well enough.

As Nick finishes up making his new Dark Urge character, we get a couple of comments that I feel the need to call out directly... of the Dark Urge, they say:
“It's clear when you start it's a very different character, you have the narrator telling you what's going on in your head” followed by:
“ You feel like the custom character you created”

This is just this viewers personal opinion but, sorry Larian, No. That's a contradiction. I'll feel like the custom character You created. By all means, tell me what my character experiences, and what comes to them through their senses, but if you start telling me what I'm thinking or what I'm feeling, or how I feel about various different things, then I'm no longer playing my character – I'm playing yours, and I'm not interested. There is a distinct line here which I do not feel that Larian's writing has ever really understood, and sadly, what they revel and discuss here does nothing to dissuade that concern.

Nick finishes up making his Dark Urge Origin: The chat apparently decided to make a white dragonborn monk – which conveniently was the same combination that their pre-recorded teaser video had used. I'm side-eyeing that a little. We see a little bit of gameplay, where the narrator tells us about how our mind has been cold and empty until now, and then tells us how we feel about a few other things. It didn't really feel like playing my own character, to be honest, choice point or no choice point – just playing the role of someone else's character, like all the other origins.

As we continue to play the murder-hobo, this brings up the point of companion death, and potential total companion death, where Nick can confirm for us a hireling system will also be in place – though he mentions specifically '12 more', rather than it being an unlimited pool. A comment a few minutes on suggests that maybe he only said that number to represent making one of each class, but we didn't get a clear confirmation.

One more little titbit they give us is a brief glance at casual camp attire; more comfortable wardrobe to relax in when you're camping for the night. This is another much requested feature by some; we'll be able to customise it, dye it, and buy or find various different pieces, they tell us, so this sounds pretty positive!

After dealing with brutality, we move to romance. We get a cut in video from some other (also/still unnamed with no title cards) developers talking about the many permutations romances and relationships can take, and they try to stress that they wanted to make something more reactive than just 'do quest, get laid'. Here's hoping!

During some mild technical difficulties, we talk a bit more about what's on the table and how things can develop in romance; they mention that the spectrum is broad and varied, even by individual character; there is the suggestion that honestly and openly communicated and consensual poly relationships are on the table, which I'm happy to hear, personally.

Further technical difficulties plague the team's ability to give us naughty romance scenes in acceptable FPS, and we take a ten minute break.

When we come back, the issues are still not quite resolved, so the crew have a brief AMA with the small theatre audience while they continue to struggle with tech, but we learn some interesting things: we'll have potentially up to 8 character voices to pick from. Currently we have 4 (two masculine, two feminine, but all pretty same-ish at the moment). They also confirm that there won't be an arbitrary party lock-out, as was originally planned.

They switch to audience live questions... which, to me felt incredible scripted and not like spur-of-moment audience-sourced randomness at all. At one point they ask Swen what the game is doing to really tempt people to play dark and evil, since the majority of players generally do prefer to play good; Swen's answer is that they tempt you. Informative.

With the technical issues resolved, we cut back to the demonstration – we get to meet a paperboy called “DIALOGUE: LOW_BaldursMouth_PaperBoy_Stormshore.lsj || CONTEXT: <No Cinematic Context>”. He seems like a good kid.

We watch some story interactions, and then try to trigger the date they want to showcase... but it won't trigger the way it's supposed to. Swen seems surprised; “Wow, that's a first” he remarks... while those who have watched the development progress and played the EA are not at all surprised at a camp event trigger not quite firing as intended and being fiddly. Eventually they get it, and show us a very cute little date sequence. It was nice enough and a little sweet, but my concern is in the same vein as it often is here: the date served only to spotlight the Origin character – I'd have preferred more chance to express and define ourselves, rather than just being a springboard for the origin character to express themselves – but that's unfortunately par for the course.

They do another, intending to let the chat drive the choices The camp scene starts in the lower city, but when the date itself triggers we're suddenly in deep woodland by a river. Who knows how we got there. The chat picks some options that really show that when Larian says they want to present a broad spectrum of romance and intimacy possibilities, they meant it. This viewer wonders most intently what Icelyn thinks... … #ScratchForCompanion

Don't worry, they also confirm that there is a player-side choice for a modesty filters.

That said, at this point, this viewer finds herself having to ask:

What sort of incredibly shit druid is Halsin anyway?
- Is Bear literally the only wildshape he knows?
- If you cannot control yourself when you're in wild shape, you barely deserve to call yourself a druid.... if you lose your mental faculties, or risk doing so, while in wildshape, then you're not really much of a druid; this is basic, basic stuff.
- If you risk having your wildshape come out when you don't want it to, by accident, when you get worked up, then you're a really shit druid.

So, either Halsin is an incredibly shit druid who is actually just a first year druidic acolyte who has only just started to learn about the process of wildshape, and can't really do it right yet... or the people who designed him haven't got a proper clue about what druids are in the D&D space.

Or maybe he's actually a werebear, and just trying to hide it.

Or an awakened bear pretending to be an elf.

Either way, an Archdruid he is not.

Ahem...

Aaanyway..... Swen tries his best to calm the crowd and transition to the topic of combat. They talk about difficulty modes; we'll have three; an easier explorer mode, the average balanced mode, and then their harder Tactician mode. They bring in Matthew to speak a little about their philosophy of making every combat encounter a puzzle to solve; this confirms that every enemy is a set piece, as we've experienced so far, and there won't be any random generation involved.

They begin another play-test demonstration, this time to showcase the Monk class as well as the difficulty modes. They show us using 'flurry of blows' as their bonus action without taking the attack action (sigh). After telling us about the Monk's deflect missile attack, their monk then gets shot, and the game does not appear to give them any opportunity to use the ability. Excellent showcase so far. Some spellcasting happens from an enemy somewhere, but as is often the case, the camera and screen fail to show who was actually casting what... unchanged from the usual EA experience. Adam mentions on his turn staying next to the spellcaster he didn't quite kill, so that he could have an opportunity attack on them. When that spellcaster's turn comes around it runs away from the Monk, but does not provoke opportunity at all, and is free to clear distance and cast its spell. When the monk's turn starts again, we see that the effect “Martial Arts: Unarmed Strike” ends on the character... it activates again when he uses his Flurry of Blows again... once more, without committing his action to attack. His monk continues to get shot without deflecting anything and chases some enemies around, eventually punching most of them to death.

Finally, an enemy shoots at the other monk, which prompts a deflect missiles reaction. The player reacts, deflecting the missile...but it's a fire arrow, so it still splashes fire everywhere all over the monk, the ground, and destroys the ladder next to her as well, even though she successfully caught and threw back the fire arrow. The screen shows the monk making a saving throw of some sort when this happens – probably from the fire splash damage that shouldn't have happened. We also get a brief glimpse of the tooltip that tells us that their Deflect Missiles will automatically spend your ki to throw the missile back at the enemy that shot you; it doesn't, as we see in a moment, and the option to do so is indeed separate, but you'd be forgiven for not understanding that, since there are two separate icons for this, both named Deflect Missiles and both with the exact same icon. The deflection, we see, automatically attacks the attacker rather than letting you pick a target (lack of freedom and options that you should have), but it's also more or less what this viewer has come to expect of Larian implementation – I am disappointed, but not at all surprised.

When trialling some combat on the harder Tactician difficulty, it's mentioned that now all the goblins will have fire arrows, and there's lots of other little 'explosive surprises' scattered through the set piece combat... because covering more of the area in more fire is exactly what counts for tactical gameplay. No, Larian – that's what this writer generally would call “overbearing actual tactics with your gimmicks.”

To illustrate how much harder Tactician mode is, their player chooses not to use deflect missiles when prompted, against the game telling them they're being hit by a critical hit, and their team functionally gets killed before either of them get to have a proper turn. They then show you how it's really done – which is, of course, by exploiting! The third player, who was detached from the party elsewhere now sneaks in, taking as much time as he likes while the goblins are time-frozen in their combat with the other players (which they strangely remain, even though the other two players are dead).

He does take a decent amount of time, having a little trouble climbing up onto the roof over the boxes, and having some camera issues with the display through the building, but he gets there and initiates eventually. During the clip we see more mysterious off-screen casting, and goblins shooting arrows at people through solid roof layers. Impressive.

They do showcase a little bit of splitscreen multiplayer, which I believe is the first time we've seen this since it was initially promised.

The play-test ends and we switch topics to discuss cinematics and cinematic content, with a video cut in of various (still uncredited) Larian employees talking about what has been Larian's first time ever developing cinematic content. This viewer would say that, yes, she knows; she can tell. Apparently they're really happy with it. This viewer refrains from further comment, but would refer others to the detailed analytical threads on this topic posted by herself and others.

They go on to discuss some of the antagonistic characters, and tell us that we'll like them even when we know we shouldn't; we'll see but I'm sceptical of that. They also tell us that, in terms of expansiveness, if you straight run through the game and just blitz the core story, you're looking at 80 hours of gameplay.... I'm also exceptionally sceptical about that, but that's pretty cool if it's true. Still, the teasers they give us during this video show a lot of different environments and a lot of scope, and it does look promising. We also see teases of many monsters that we've not seen yet, and a few other races that we've not yet seen, including kobolds. Sadly not playable though.

As we wind down, Swen asks his co-hosts what their favourite moments in the game are, and they have to each in turn say that it's one they obviously can't spoil here. Edifying Content. They move on to reiterating that you'll necessarily be locked out of various major cinematics that are exclusive to playing as various origin characters, and that all the origins have loads of exclusive content in that manner. No word on whether the same is true of playing a custom character; it does not sound as though it is... It sounds, rather, that playing a custom character will just result in a lesser experience and an emptier game.

Swen moves into his general wrap for the panel, and mentions that the after show to follow will showcase playing a section of the later game, which will be heavy spoiler territory, with himself and Nick playing characters that have come to the same point in very different ways, to showcase how different the game can be.

They take closing remarks to show off the collector's edition of the game, and the physical merch you can get for it, unboxing style. We get a look at the nice map, some art prints and stickers, some very nice-looking character sheets for the origin characters and a very beautiful hard cover art book, and the much splash-screened Illithid model (some assembly required).

The after-show gameplay they showcase is pitched at how differently the game can unfold based on your decisions, and how the same events and same places can be very heavily differentiated by these... What they actually SHOW us, however, just really looks like the difference between someone who took the high road, and someone who took the low road, in regards to the Act I direction choice.

I'll refrain from giving any actual spoilers by discussing the events seen, but I will say this:

For crying out loud, Larian, please do your due diligence on the lore of the world you're making a game for. Don't assume you know all about something because it resembles something that exists in other mythologies and other cultures.

Pixies are NOT malicious – categorically they are not, it's part of the defining nature of what they ARE. Pixies might be malicious in other mythologies and legends, but in D&D, and in the Forgotten Realms, they are NOT, and anyone who Passed their intelligence check on the matter, would KNOW this, and not be mistaken about it. They are good and good natured, curious and playful – tricksters and occasionally pranksters, true enough, but distinctly and specifically not malicious; they are very much opposed to violence and harm in any way, as part of their very being. Please have some respect for the material you're acting as the custodians of.

That, however, is that for this final Panel From Hell, and though I was mistaken the last time, this time I'm pretty sure this one will be the last one of these I do.

Take care everyone,

-Niara

Last edited by Niara; 08/07/23 04:46 PM.
veteran
veteran
Thanks Niara, it is awesome that you've done this every time. It may not have always been pleasant for you, but reading your thoughts is always enriching and enjoyable.

C
addict
addict
C
Fantastic write-up as always. And you posted it right about when I was thinking I wanted to go back to the PFH video to clarify a few things, so thanks for saving me from trying to find specific moments in a three hour preso.

The biggest takeaway I'm getting is that the game will be most rewarding for people who will play it over and over and over for years, in a way that's likely much greater than most games.

That's great news for me, but sad news for others.

I'm really looking forward to eg a Shadowheart playthrough to get a little more inside her head. I think I'll eventually do all the origin characters, after exploring a bit with the new races and classes.

I've had a sense for a while that once you're past the fight at the Grove gate, different playthroughs could feel like totally different games, and I think the PFH confirmed that, more or less

veteran
veteran
Thanks as always Niara for writing up these synopses. They're both entertaining and informative.

Originally Posted by Niara
Or maybe he's actually a werebear, and just trying to hide it.

Or an awakened bear pretending to be an elf.
Hmmmmm.... Every BG3 companion does need a dark secret. And we allegedly were going to get a werebearwolf companion...

veteran
Online Confused
veteran
Great write up as always.

veteran
veteran
This viewer wonders most intently what Icelyn thinks...
I was the squirrel when I saw that!!! 😮

I am not outraged about it like some but wish they had left that one choice out so that he wouldn’t be an infamous character to have as my favorite character!

veteran
veteran
Thank you Niara as usual. It was a pleasure to read through your thoughts.

Originally Posted by Icelyn

I am not outraged about it like some but wish they had left that one choice out so that he wouldn’t be an infamous character to have as my favorite character!

lol, yea, it's funny how differently I see Halsin now, he's become a meme overnight.

old hand
old hand

Gave him to us then turned him into a joke. ouch Oh well, I'm hoping it won't really matter once we're playing the game, since there are obviously other ways to play out that scene.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Well that was the first one I've read but sadly it will be the last. Superbly written. Larian should have had you writing the script for the PFH.
Thank you.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel

Gave him to us then turned him into a joke. ouch Oh well, I'm hoping it won't really matter once we're playing the game, since there are obviously other ways to play out that scene.
Yes, I am sure there will be other options for me to pick for that romance that don’t involve a literal bear!😊

B
old hand
old hand
B

It could have been worse. Halsin could have gotten the knockback from Asterion and become known as the bloke who Asterion' rejected.

journeyman
journeyman
Hey, Niara. I hear about you quite a bit from a friend who likes your posts, and I like a lot of your posts by proxy, but I'm rarely on these forums to catch them myself. I know this post is a bit more like a recap with your personal flair on it, but I figured I should try to get my voice on the forums a bit more instead of letting it drown out in the sea of words Discord can become during and after a panel.

I heard about this post as I hear about many of your posts from my friend, so I'd like to touch on what he mentioned to me first.

This is just this viewers personal opinion but, sorry Larian, No. That's a contradiction. I'll feel like the custom character You created. By all means, tell me what my character experiences, and what comes to them through their senses, but if you start telling me what I'm thinking or what I'm feeling, or how I feel about various different things, then I'm no longer playing my character – I'm playing yours, and I'm not interested. There is a distinct line here which I do not feel that Larian's writing has ever really understood, and sadly, what they revel and discuss here does nothing to dissuade that concern.

Totally right that it's a contradiction. I will say, however, that it did not feel particularly oppressive in the Gale scene. Granted this was a small snippet, but it seemed more akin to an intrusive thought from a supernatural or divine source than outright dictating the character's feelings, philosophies or thoughts. That said. I share the fears nevertheless. I like the concept behind TUD, it seems to be an allegory and Larian's personal take on Bhaalspawn... but that is tricky ground, and I've never trusted Larian's writers to make good on a concept I like. If they try to make him a literal Bhaalspawn, we've retreat ground where there is no ground to tread. If they just make him an edgy, indulgent self-insert, we're left with just what you're suggesting; a character with a pre-defined role that I move around, not a character I can project my own role onto.

Despite liking the concept, though, TUD is undoubtedly a slap in the face to anyone that was hoping Tav would meet up to any Origin standards. The ribbon features that were unique to Tav are all presumably removed, such as changing race, class, background, and name. The name is up in the air... Swen's TUD did have an option to refer to himself as The Dark Urge. What a dialogue option. To paraphrase...

"Hello, I am The Dark Urge, sorcerer, at your service."

Hopefully this is just the default name, and it can indeed be changed by the player. This much I do think they will do.

That still doesn't solve the problem that Tav has of being almost entirely unconnected to the plot outside of the tadpole. Where every Origin has some sort of background story going on for them, most of them some misguided attempt to one-up the last (from alien to vampire to god-loving turbowizard to two very seasoned, apparently, heroes... you get the idea,) Tav just flounders in the pool of mediocrity that tag dialogue options are. Maybe they're hiding something for him, but I won't hold my breath, and given I would have had no input on what that background for Tav could theoretically be, I'm not sure I even want it at this point.

I'll probably be playing my drow monk as TUD, based on what I know, and doing my best to ignore moments where I feel like my thoughts have been forced on me. We'll see if I last long enough to not just make a throwaway review character.

I won't get into everything you've talked about here right away, even though I'd love to. The bear thing has annoyed me greatly, and we're of one mind that it's silly for Halsin to be 'losing control' of a fairly basic druid ability.

I'm going to talk about the monk section before I leave my post be for now.

I just want to cover some of what I noticed on top of what you did, monk is my most played class in the rare chances I get to be a player.

First, flurry of blows seemed incapable of spreading its attacks across multiple targets, on top of the ability you mentioned to use it without having used your action to attack. Now, honestly, I don't find this to be a mechanically broken issue. It's a minor buff, and Monk does need those if we're looking at them from a PHB perspective. It is narratively strange, though, since it's meant to be a continuation. However... it seemed like there was no ki-less flurry option? Admittedly, perhaps I missed it, but their attempt to increase how much ki we get won't mean much if our ki-less features get removed.

I'm glad you noticed things about deflect missiles, because at this point I was just trying to make it through the panel and didn't want to pause much for closer looks at tooltips. It seems poorly implemented entirely. To top it off, Tactician placed a Warg on the roof of the opposite building, because obviously that's a narratively preserving way to make combat harder. Airdrop wargs on us.

Anyway, it was a treat to read this, and maybe I won't lose interest in the forum as quickly as usual and I'll respond here and there to some people on here. I'm much more active in their Discord than anywhere else, as it stands.

P
stranger
stranger
P
There's one question I have about the whole scene. Shouldn't Halsin lose his druidic powers for fooling around with a vampire spawn?

Just think about it, a character that has to be attuned to nature, allowing something unnatural to be around...

It's just a thought. I know Larian doesn't really care about the mechanical side of DnD influencing the narrative that much. Considering they have rewritten Gale into Karsus Jr, and Wyll also has much more field experience now with his rewrite, starting at level 1 for these guys is much weirder now.

veteran
veteran
Thank you , Niara. That was great as always, especially since I couldn't see the PfH.
I'm as mad as you about they dismissive attitude towards halflings. That is just shitty and I loose all hope, that they fix them. I'm also mad that they maybe booted Helia for some edgelordy background.
Yeah, The Dark Urge sounds awful. And no, I won't play an origin character to get all the stories. I want them with my own character or not at all.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by prop85
Just think about it, a character that has to be attuned to nature, allowing something unnatural to be around...

But is it unnatural? If it can exist, it's part of nature

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by colinl8

Traditionally, druid circles consider undead to be unnatural. Particularly the fleshy and bony undead.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Originally Posted by colinl8
Originally Posted by prop85

We're looking at a more religious interpretation of nature. A chaotic, untamed force of cycles and change. Life and death, life from death, death from life. Undead are not part of that.

old hand
old hand
Spores druids exist.

addict
addict
I've read this in a few spots, people un happy with Tav as he doesn't have a story other than the tadpole. In pnp I am my character I create my back story. I don't see why that should change. Personally I wouldn't want a DM creating my back story, although my very first dnd game 45 yrs ago lol (I'm old) I entered the game as a gladiator... It was fun

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
Spores druids exist.
They do! They exist in a strange spot, but Spore Druids are a notable exception.

"Druids of this circle have a complex relationship with the undead. They see nothing inherently wrong with undeath, which they consider to be a companion to life and death. But these druids believe that the natural cycle is healthiest when each segment of it is vibrant and changing. Undead that seek to replace all life with undeath, or that try to avoid passing to a final rest, violate the cycle and must be thwarted."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard