Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#855797 07/07/23 07:18 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Overall a great stream, my only disappointment is I was hoping they added the ability for paladins to choose a deity. It is really important for me for my paladin to acknowledge their deity and rival deities when they crop up in the story. Them just not mentioning anything takes me out of the story and just frustrates me

veteran
veteran
I dont feel like this single message needs its own topic ...
So i just leave it here: Im much more sad and/or mad about the fact that we dont get option to pick Oathbreaker right at character creation. frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I hadn't thought of that but yeah if you wanted someone who broke their oath previously you are out of luck.

veteran
veteran
It feels like our character started their existence on Nautiloid ...
Litterally.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
It feels like our character started their existence on Nautiloid ...
Litterally.

Which could be the fact but would be disappointing if so

old hand
old hand
The workaround is to multiclass into Cleric or Warlock. They mentioned patron interactions. I'll guess as dialogue options? Would have been exciting to know if Clerics also have interactions with their deities or if they can only do this with certain spells, only after a certain point (e. g. Level 4 Divination).

addict
addict
So i just leave it here: Im much more sad and/or mad about the fact that we dont get option to pick Oathbreaker right at character creation. frown

Someone will do a Mod

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Ranxerox

Someone will do a Mod

God bless the modders

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Lotus Noctus
The workaround is to multiclass into Cleric or Warlock. They mentioned patron interactions. I'll guess as dialogue options? Would have been exciting to know if Clerics also have interactions with their deities or if they can only do this with certain spells, only after a certain point (e. g. Level 4 Divination).

That could work in a pinch. Do you know if Feywild warlocks get to pick which fey deity or is it just in general? I haven't seen either way and if we can talk to them it would be great to pick

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Scoonster49

That could work in a pinch. Do you know if Feywild warlocks get to pick which fey deity or is it just in general? I haven't seen either way and if we can talk to them it would be great to pick

Unfortunately no. During EA it was not possible and yesterday nothing concrete was mentioned except for the fact that there will be patron interactions.

veteran
veteran
so if you play the new dark character as a Pally... you have no idea who your God is or even what oath you have?

as far as you know, the Nautiloid is where you just happened to pop out of your egg smile

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
B
old hand
old hand
B
God bless the modders
Can they choose which god?

I would of liked the option for a deity.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Beechams
God bless the modders
Can they choose which god?

I would of liked the option for a deity.

There is a mod on the Baldurs Gate 3 Nexus site called Deities for All that lets everyone pick a deity option. It very likely won't work the day of release until it gets updated. But it does work now if you want to give it a try

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Unfortunately no. During EA it was not possible and yesterday nothing concrete was mentioned except for the fact that there will be patron interactions.

That's disappointing though getting to talk to them is more than I was expecting so there is that

enthusiast
enthusiast
As noted Paladins do not choose deities in 5e -- they choose Oaths.
The only character in 5e that chooses a deity is a Cleric.
I know folks want some things from previous editions of D&D but mods are likely the best place for that content.

Multiclassing As a Paladin/Cleric is tricky as you need at least a 13 in Strength, Charisma, and Wisdom.
If no mods are available you can always name your character "Tav servant of Helm"

L
addict
addict
L
Shame-they did so much work according to the datamines only to throw out the most thematic and defining characteristic of the class.

Originally Posted by Alodar
I know folks want some things from previous editions of D&D but mods are likely the best place for that content.

Multiclassing As a Paladin/Cleric is tricky as you need at least a 13 in Strength, Charisma, and Wisdom.
If no mods are available you can always name your character "Tav servant of Helm"

Except there's stuff even in 5e that suggests this is not the case, like how you are expected to redeem a fallen paladin by finding a priest of the same faith. We had a big 'ol thread about this previously-it's not that clear-cut.. If that divide between 5e and earlier paladins becomes more defined in the future, then that's one thing-fanon becoming canon, I guess. But Larian by all indications was ready to give us Paladin deities and chickened out at the last minute

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

Yes I get you don't have to choose a deity to be a paladin in 5e but this is one of the issues were the rules as written do not really reflect how alot people play. Neither I nor anyone I have ever played with have viewed the Path as more important of deity. It is always we choose the deity then pick a path that best represents them and if there is a issue between path and deity code the deity code supersedes the issue. I mean the whole idea of paladins is inherently religious and while giving those who would like to "secularize" them is great hindering those of us who view our paladins faith in their god as essential to their character sucks and takes me out of the game.

I am not concerned about the name. If I am a Paladin of Selune and I am interacting with Selune or Shar characters I want to be able to have dialouge that reflects that like the clerics.

For multiclassing I will not likely need to multiclass for too long hopefully. Just make a paladin multiclass to get my deity ooption then once the Deities for all mod is updated, download it then respec

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yes I get you don't have to choose a deity to be a paladin in 5e but this is one of the issues were the rules as written do not really reflect how alot people play. Neither I nor anyone I have ever played with have viewed the Path as more important of deity. It is always we choose the deity then pick a path that best represents them and if there is a issue between path and deity code the deity code supersedes the issue. I mean the whole idea of paladins is inherently religious and while giving those who would like to "secularize" them is great hindering those of us who view our paladins faith in their god as essential to their character sucks and takes me out of the game.

I have the opposite experience. I've been playing 5e since it was D&D Next and in that entire time neither I, nor anyone I've played with, has wanted to choose a deity for their Paladin. It has always been about embodying the Oath.

I found it to be a nice differentiation from Clerics. Instead of being beholden to a certain god, who are flawed, you were beholden to an ideal.

L
addict
addict
L
I have the opposite experience. I've been playing 5e since it was D&D Next and in that entire time neither I, nor anyone I've played with, has wanted to choose a deity for their Paladin. It has always been about embodying the Oath.

I found it to be a nice differentiation from Clerics. Instead of being beholden to a certain god, who are flawed, you were beholden to an ideal.
I never got this. Divine literally means 'of god' And in the Forgotten Realms the connection between divine casters and deities is *very* clear and constantly reinforced. They can and will take powers away from their followers if they choose, and the deaths of divine beings has huge repercussions for those who receive their power-it's literally the backstory for the original BG Saga!

And the idea that Paladins have turned into something where anyone can just 'promise real hard' and become a superhero as long as they stay true to their superhero code is just....weird to me. Oh, but if you fail your personal code, you lose your powers, but can get them back in an edgier version if you want, without even the strings attached that the oath represented....doubly so.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Leucrotta

I never got this. Divine literally means 'of god' And in the Forgotten Realms the connection between divine casters and deities is *very* clear and constantly reinforced. They can and will take powers away from their followers if they choose, and the deaths of divine beings has huge repercussions for those who receive their power-it's literally the backstory for the original BG Saga!

And the idea that Paladins have turned into something where anyone can just 'promise real hard' and become a superhero as long as they stay true to their superhero code is just....weird to me. Oh, but if you fail your personal code, you lose your powers, but can get them back in an edgier version if you want, without even the strings attached that the oath represented....doubly so.

Absolutely agree! No where else in any media do Paladins get their powers without a god's help and like you said I don't get just promising to do hard will get you powers. It wasn't until paladins were released in early access that I ever heard that people don't pick a deity. As for clerics being different paladins are usually more martial and aggressive but even if they give both the same tags having two religous classes is a good idea. If I want to see the differences between worshipping Shar and Selune in this game it would be nice to be able to play different classes each time

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard