Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
I wonder, if Halsin is not a very competent archdruid , because he doesn't seem to be in control of his shapeshifting
I thought its nothing new ...

Wasnt Ettercaps Druids that were shapeshifting into spiders "long time ago" until they loose themselves somewhere in between?
(I mean, im sure there was some deity or demon involved aswell ... but still.)

I mean ...
This is common theme in fantasy where somoeone fills the mid step between human(oid) and animal ...
Even Gangrels lean more and more towards their animalistic site as they grow older. smile
Whole Werewolf ruleset stand on finding ballance between each aspect of their life, bcs if one is missed out, it fights for its existence and can owerwhelm the Werewolf.
In Warcraft 3, Druids also forgot during their long slumber in animal form that they are actually Elves. laugh
Werewolves from Dragon Age also become quite bestial.
I could go on ...

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Icelyn
I'm now at the Infamous scene and I wonder, if Halsin is not a very competent archdruid , because he doesn't seem to be in control of his shapeshifting, or If he is indeed a werebear, which would make his accident shapeshifting maybe a bit more believable.
I think you are right that he might be a werebear!!!

I finally had the time to watch the whole panel (and the infamous bear scene 😂), and I think it would make a lot of sense. Maybe they took this part of Helia's story and made Halsin a werebear.

I was always a bit surprised - and shocked - that this kind and friendly druid would kill the goblin kids, when he manages to free himself in the goblin camp. There was quite a bloodbath there. It would make sense if he lost control in his bear form, because he was under great emotional distress.

veteran
veteran
I love Gale’s cat! I wonder if Gale would mind if Tav brings the cat to camp!😊
I wonder if our Druid will be able to take her form as Wildshape.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Hope the owlbear dont eat it

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm pretty sure about it, since he is basically the Helia replacement - that would give that scene, where he involuntarily changed shape, a whole new meaning.

Oh, I am sorry, I didn't notice that you already had mentioned that.

enthusiast
enthusiast

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

I love her, too! I think Tressyms might be the most adorable creatures in DnD. But the little Hollyphant was also very cute.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
That would be a fantastic wild shape!🐈‍⬛💕

veteran
veteran
If Halsin turns out to be a werebear, I will be very pleasantly surprised. And impressed that you called it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Hasn't there been a pretty big implication that he struggles controlling himself?

I thought It was implied at one point he accidentally killed Kethric's daughter?

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Hasn't there been a pretty big implication that he struggles controlling himself?

I thought It was implied at one point he accidentally killed Kethric's daughter?
eh?
when?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

eh?
when?

I sort of recall some theory about that a long time ago, but I'm not sure there was ever anything solid there. I think the speculation was that maybe Ketheric "fell" because something bad happened to him... he had a daughter... maybe his daughter died and that's why he fell? I believe a piece of text specifically mentioned that he "fell." And in earlier patches, there was more information about ketheric sitting around, if I recall correctly. Anyway. It's been a while since I looked at anything about Ketheric's daughter, but isn't she:

Isobel? Who we can meet in the Shadow Lands with Jaheira.

As far as Halsin not being able to control himself, he tells us that in EA when he offers to help fight the goblins in the temple. He warns, if I go with you then I won't be able to control myself and we'll likely have to kill every goblin in this place. Or something like that, paraphrased obviously.

Last edited by JandK; 09/07/23 06:06 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N

eh?
when?
I feel like it was in one of the books in the druid enclave.

veteran
veteran

eh?
when?
I feel like it was in one of the books in the druid enclave.
I think that text might have been removed in one of the updates?

veteran
veteran
I don't think that was the implication in that removed book. If anything it seemed like it had to do with Halsin's predecessor. There is the bit when rescuing Halsin where he says once he enters the bear form, there's only one course of action to follow....violence. Which seemed odd at the time for a Druid wildshape. I like the werebear theory, especially since we seem to be down on werewolf.

F
addict
addict
F
It would make a lot of sense him being a werebear. He got attacked, transformed and attacked instead of running with Aradin's gang.

The whole druid thing, while sincere, is also a convenient cover.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I also wondered about the werebear theory. That would explain why he can use multi attack and our druid can't. That would also explain why he seem to have trouble controlling himself in that scene.
There are also theses lines in the game :
<content contentuid="h02cf842dgc135g4047g90ffgd985ae2a0745" version="3">Should you change your mind, head west. Halsin is an elf with the presence of a bear.</content>
<content contentuid="h134f59d4g3945g410fg99bag22d0871dab3d" version="2">Kinda disappointin', for a bear-man.</content>
<content contentuid="h2cffaa54g4779g48a0ga24dgc459e8d54573" version="4">See that? Fella was some magicker bear-elf and he didn't stand a chance.</content>
<content contentuid="h32309ddbg269fg4d82g976bg93be7e35ea80" version="4">Having a shapeshifting bear-druid at my side might make things easier.</content>
<content contentuid="h44a4f576g8ce4g437fg9dffgc8795abfa751" version="1">Be warned - my presence could make things more difficult... I can only restrain my bear form so much. I won't be able to help but attack goblins.</content>
<content contentuid="h8fc9387bg5a7ag4958g9a15gddd24580de90" version="3">Halsin is an elf with the presence of a bear. He left west, with the adventurers.</content>

Mmh...

veteran
veteran
Another thing: I just finished the PfH (took a break for Guild Wars 2 - Tequatl, Drakkar and the Marionette needed attention) and I find it kind of funny, that people are exploding about the bear scene (which I don't need either, I just don't care about it being in, since I will never see it), but obviously have no problems with the graphic violent scenes in the last playthrough, where Swen played the Urge thingy and Adam a very darkside Shadowheart - especially that hospital scene was graphic. I'm ok with that, I'm a horror fan, but I would think, that killing people in the most gruesome way is a tad bit worse than having two consenting adults have weird sex - just my two cents.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Heh. Personally I didn't look too closely during that bit either and found it equally distasteful. I never watch hospital/surgery series for good reason and back in the day I once fainted some twenty minutes after having watched Star Trek: First Encounter as I recalled the scene where Picard ripped a chip out of a Borg drone's intestines. Guts belong on the inside, okay?!

But as for why people don't freak out as much about that I assume it's because (fictional) violence is normalized, we're dulled to it. And as a means of conflict resolution it's expected in games. Yeah I'm aware this particular situation isn't the best example for that though. But human/animal "intimacy"? Considered wrong, like violence, but we've not been dulled to that yet. We're not conditioned to think that's okay outside of very particular niche games which most people don't play or probably know of.

Last edited by Silverstar; 09/07/23 09:17 PM.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
B
old hand
old hand
B
I mentioned this scene in another thread but something struck me later. The scene appeared to be just that, a scene - you walk into the room, the scene plays out, everyone dies and you move on. And the point was . . .? At least with the bear thing it has a rationale, i.e. it's part of an ongoing romance and presumably wont be the last time it happens.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by snowram
I also wondered about the werebear theory. That would explain why he can use multi attack and our druid can't. That would also explain why he seem to have trouble controlling himself in that scene.
There are also theses lines in the game :
<content contentuid="h02cf842dgc135g4047g90ffgd985ae2a0745" version="3">Should you change your mind, head west. Halsin is an elf with the presence of a bear.</content>
<content contentuid="h134f59d4g3945g410fg99bag22d0871dab3d" version="2">Kinda disappointin', for a bear-man.</content>
<content contentuid="h2cffaa54g4779g48a0ga24dgc459e8d54573" version="4">See that? Fella was some magicker bear-elf and he didn't stand a chance.</content>
<content contentuid="h32309ddbg269fg4d82g976bg93be7e35ea80" version="4">Having a shapeshifting bear-druid at my side might make things easier.</content>
<content contentuid="h44a4f576g8ce4g437fg9dffgc8795abfa751" version="1">Be warned - my presence could make things more difficult... I can only restrain my bear form so much. I won't be able to help but attack goblins.</content>
<content contentuid="h8fc9387bg5a7ag4958g9a15gddd24580de90" version="3">Halsin is an elf with the presence of a bear. He left west, with the adventurers.</content>

Mmh...

Honestly he makes more sense being a werebear than not if you think about it

If he has a homebrew were bear class he could be a good equivlant for Lae'zel and we wouldent double up on druids.

Itd also give more good aligned players a transformation instead of becoming a vampire with Astarion

Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard