Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, Wyll. I'm going to pop in spoiler tags, even though it was covered in the Panel from Hell so most folk will be aware of the key point anyway and I don't know much more, I can only give you my impressions of meeting the new, and allegedly improved, Wyll.

It looks as though the companions might be getting a slightly cooler animated entrance, apart from poor Shadowheart who is stuck in her pod. And I didn't manage to go find Astarion in my playthrough, just made all haste for the grove, and certainly didn't get as far as where I assume Karlach still might be. But you saw a bit of Gale's if you watched PFH (though his entrance did not end well there, my halfling kindly yanked him out of the portal smile).

Wyll also gets a bit more animation at the gates, making his entrance cooler and more dramatic. Though unfortunately he was casting Arms of Hadar all over the place in my run, so doesn't look like there's been a change to that scene to help him keep his warlock status under wraps for a little while which is a pity.

But once I got into the grove and met Wyll, I had no idea that he'd changed so was most surprised to hear him, instead of talking about going to kill goblins, talk about needing to hunt down someone called Karlach instead. I'll admit I didn't take careful note of exactly what he said as I assumed I'd not be talking about that in any detail because spoiler and because I'd started off whizzing through the conversation wrongly thinking I knew what was happening until I was brought up short, so I'm not going to potentially sow misinformation by going into any more detail than I can accurately remember.

However, I will say I did somehow get a different, and more compelling vibe from this Wyll. Part of it, I think, is because in the EA build I thought he was very poorly animated: oddly jerky and pulling strange, rictus-like expressions. That was gone and he felt much more natural to me and, without the distraction of the dodgy animations, the VA's performance was finally given the opportunity to start to shine. While it's a lot of weight to put on one single conversation, I also felt that the new Wyll was coming across as more mature and genuinely confident (as opposed to fake confident, though of course he may just have got better at faking), and the tone was somehow just a little darker, though not in a way that I can put my finger on or that made him come across as a bad person.

Some of you may recall that Wyll was the companion I'd been least convinced by in EA. I confess I'm now intrigued. Partly just because I want to see how his story, and Karlach's, has changed. But partly just because he grabbed me as a character more. And because I'm now really keen to have him and Karlach (who I found surprisingly adorable) in a party together and see how they can, as was mentioned at the PFH, overcome what looks like it's going to be a difficult beginning and become fast friends.

That's of course my own totally subjective opinion, and you might well disagree. We'll see in a few weeks smile

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Princeps08
Since you played a ranger can you tell us if they changed anything on favored enemy and if you know how it and natural explorer progress at higher levels?

I didn't look carefully at the favoured enemies or terrains, but on a quick glance they looked the same as EA.

I also didn't see anything obvious that would tell us more about how the classes progress, which is a bit of a disappointment as I think that's sorely lacking. Obviously not quite as bad given we'll apparently be able to respec, though I'd rather have the info and make the right choices up front than have to relevel because I later discover something that would have changed my earlier decisions (I didn't catch any glimpse of how respeccing might work).

That said, I've not totally given up hope. I certainly didn't spend more than a small fraction of the time in character creation that I could have, and I rushed levelling up so I could carry on playing, so it is entirely possible I missed something.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, that's it for tonight folks. I'll start tomorrow by answering any new questions here, then trawl through that bear thread to see what I make of it and if there's any moderator action I need to take.

See you tomorrow, and in the meantime your help postponing any discussion of wildshape sex would be much appreciated!

apprentice
apprentice
Hi RQ! Glad you got to go to Larian and meet all the folks over there. Who says hard work never pays off. Thanks for being a great mod!

My question (sorry if I missed it, there's a lot and the forums are being sluggish)

How was the build you played? Still have stuff missing/bugs/etc? Any more graphical upgrades? How was the cinematic camera when dealing with different heights? I imagine the version was not the most current. Just wondering in comparison to EA.

Thank you!

C
addict
addict
C
Thanks for the info dump! I'm really, really glad Wyll's gotten more interesting

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by odesseiron81
Hi RQ! Glad you got to go to Larian and meet all the folks over there. Who says hard work never pays off. Thanks for being a great mod!

My question (sorry if I missed it, there's a lot and the forums are being sluggish)

How was the build you played? Still have stuff missing/bugs/etc? Any more graphical upgrades? How was the cinematic camera when dealing with different heights? I imagine the version was not the most current. Just wondering in comparison to EA.

Thank you!

Thanks! I'll give you the short answer just now as you just managed to catch me before logging off, and expand on it tomorrow.

It seemed way more polished and definitely felt much closer to complete, including nice touches with animation, though I did encounter a few minor bugs even on my really quick playthrough. I thought the colours and graphics looked much improved (especially from patch 9, which I think was the one that really seemed to break something). I also didn't notice any problems with the camera handling verticality, though admittedly there wasn't a lot of it in the bit of the game I played. And I'm afraid it still wasn't possible to actually look up.

And I only climbed a couple of ladders, but did so with no problems and popping up and down. So not definitive, but at least we can hope that is fixed.

And yes, the forums are being temperamental again. Definitely time to call it quits for tonight! Bye for now, all.

apprentice
apprentice
Hi RQ - did you get a chance to see if you could choose your starting equipment in character creation? was there anything indicating future class abilities? so you could see class features of future levels?

veteran
veteran
That is all very interesting. Was Wyll still teaching the tiefling boy how to fight? I thought that was a really endearing way to introduce him, also I'm glad the lighting has changed. I never really noticed but I know a lot of people will be happy about that.

L
addict
addict
L
Hi Red Queen.

Thanks for taking the time to answer so many questions. I don't think these have been answered (and some maybe not asked previously). And i know your halfling saved Gale so you may know about wizard questions.

1. Can use choose starting equipment?
2. Can you dodge?
3. Is Ritual Spell casting implemented?
4. With Gale could the familar use the help (distract action), or do anything new?
5. Can players use the help (distract) action in combat?
6. Any sign of the blade cantrips (green flame blame/ booming blade)?

Thanks heaps

veteran
veteran
I have few more questions ...

Since you were Ranger, i dare to presume you werent able to test if Mage Hand can handle things like levers, huh?
You mentioned that Tutorial was shorter ... can you tell us more? I would really like to hear about it.
And since there was some scenes in Gortash trailer that looked like being on Nautiloid ... was it looking very simmilar, or was there some big changes?
Also, how map in the game looked like? I know many people was complaining about it being a bit too ... well, just ugly. laugh

//Edit:
I presume you didnt have enough time to truly explore tadpole powers ... i really wonder if they got better for Ranger, since personaly i find short charge kinda boring ... especialy for Ranged class. :-/
Have you noticed any new items to loot? Armors, weapons ... slings?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 09/07/23 09:16 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Any new backgrounds (Noble/Acolyte/Urchin etc.) for release? I felt they hinted at it during the panel, but wasn't shown or further mentioned.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
old hand
old hand
Breezed through some more pages didn't look like these were posted.

Did they make the background tags customizable? It probably would of been added to the background tab, but at the moment, everyone originates from Baldur's Gate (Balduraian or something like that).

Can you hide or change the size of the minimap still looks huge.

Did you see any donkeys? lol, was going through some of my old posts and remembered requesting for donkeys to carry my junk, if a donkey actually made it to the game it be close enough.

The combat log gets spammed by npcs repeating the same lines over and over and made it really hard to read. Did they add another tab or change the combat window at all?

Congrats on the invite btw, hope you had fun, & thanks for doing this thread.

Last edited by fallenj; 09/07/23 08:59 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
Oxen are in the game. And chickens. You could string together hundreds of chickens to carry your junk.

old hand
old hand
@FrostyFardragon Yes! Or, I could take the Oxen, string the chickens to it and have a traveling breakfast stand along with easy storage.

Last edited by fallenj; 09/07/23 09:32 AM.
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
So it may be possible to replace a custom party member in a multiplayer run with a new player with their own character! Wow, another huge deal.

Sorry, missed this one yesterday.

I only saw this with split-screen co-op in the presentation, but though it doesn't seem unreasonable to suppose that it might be possible to do something similar for multiplayer I unfortunately didn't see anything during my visit that would confirm it.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Ghost214
Hi RQ - did you get a chance to see if you could choose your starting equipment in character creation? was there anything indicating future class abilities? so you could see class features of future levels?

I didn't see any options to customise starting equipment at character creation, though would caveat that I could have spent all my time there and forced myself to rush through.

Similarly with information about class progression, which is something I did hope to see but it didn't jump out at me either at character creation or level up, though again I'd not swear it wasn't there and just not obvious on a quick rush through.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
That is all very interesting. Was Wyll still teaching the tiefling boy how to fight? I thought that was a really endearing way to introduce him, also I'm glad the lighting has changed. I never really noticed but I know a lot of people will be happy about that.

I am not actually sure whether we still got that scene with the kid! I agree that was really endearing, but I confess I was merrily bashing space with my mind on what else I could possibly manage to check in my rapidly expiring time with the game until I was brought up short by sudden realisation that the conversation wasn't going as expected. Wyll was still in the same place in the grove, so it's possible that remains the same, but I don't recall for certain.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by LostSoul
1. Can use choose starting equipment?
2. Can you dodge?
3. Is Ritual Spell casting implemented?
4. With Gale could the familar use the help (distract action), or do anything new?
5. Can players use the help (distract) action in combat?
6. Any sign of the blade cantrips (green flame blame/ booming blade)?

Apologies, I'm not sure on any of these. I didn't notice any evidence they were there, but could easily have missed it even if it were there. These will have to remain in the to be confirmed column I'm afraid!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
So it may be possible to replace a custom party member in a multiplayer run with a new player with their own character! Wow, another huge deal.

Sorry, missed this one yesterday.

I only saw this with split-screen co-op in the presentation, but though it doesn't seem unreasonable to suppose that it might be possible to do something similar for multiplayer I unfortunately didn't see anything during my visit that would confirm it.

I wish we could get confirmation on this as it would be a huge deal for the multiplayer community - sometimes a player doesn't work out for whatever reason and if you are 5-6 sessions in then it's REALLY difficult to sell that players character to a new player. If we could have a new player come in, create a new custom character that would be leveled up to the party level that would be a huge deal - especially if the character being replaced is a really gonked out mess of a class/race/look.

People generally HATE playing other people's toons.

Blackheifer
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Since you were Ranger, i dare to presume you werent able to test if Mage Hand can handle things like levers, huh?

No, I didn't have time to check this, so we don't need to lose hope yet grin

You mentioned that Tutorial was shorter ... can you tell us more? I would really like to hear about it.
Popping in spoiler tags in case anyone wants to just discover this for themself ...

In the build I played, the room with the imps in right after meeting Lae'zel was different, and there was some icky membrane stuff I could climb up directly to outside the room where Shadowheart was trapped without going out onto the nautiloid deck at all. I am assuming that it would still have been possible to go the long way around and the deck was still there, but I didn't verify that.
And since there was some scenes in Gortash trailer that looked like being on Nautiloid ... was it looking very simmilar, or was there some big changes?
Hmm, I'd need to go back to the trailer to check that one. Certainly it looks as though at least some bits of the nautiloid have had some design changes.

Also, how map in the game looked like? I know many people was complaining about it being a bit too ... well, just ugly. laugh

I didn't have time to really look at it properly, but it was pretty obvious that a fair bit of work had gone into improving both the minimap and the full map and on a reasonably quick glance they were looking MUCH better and more useful and readable. I think Larian have also tried to get a bit of classic D&D map aesthetic into the map which I find a fun idea. In short, hopeful signs though I'd need to spend longer to decide how much I really liked the changes.

I presume you didnt have enough time to truly explore tadpole powers ... i really wonder if they got better for Ranger, since personaly i find short charge kinda boring ... especialy for Ranged class. :-/
I rested only once so didn't get even a single dream. Which reminds me I do have a snippet of news about Daisy, that I'll share at the end of this unless anyone asks me about it first grin

Have you noticed any new items to loot? Armors, weapons ... slings?
I didn't have time to loot! Or shop! So no, sorry. As I mentioned, some armours have clearly been redesigned, but I didn't see any brand new types of thing, though that doesn't prove anything given how much I rushed.

Page 7 of 24 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard