Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
As long as each level is really meaningful, and I don't feel like I have the same abilities/gear for 30 hours straight, then I'm okay with it. That said, some levels are just 'click to level up', which is..not great feeling.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
L12 is fine as level cap if the potential sequel continues with your same character.

addict
addict
http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/rogue:assassin

Here is one of my points from earlier,

Not sure if Larian will implement it as per the Dnd Rules , but the Rogue sub class Assassin is really well weak before lv 12.

1. Assassinate
Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn't taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.

2.Infiltration Expertise
Starting at 9th level, you can unfailingly create false identities for yourself. You must spend seven days and 25 gp to establish the history, profession, and affiliations for an identity. You can't establish an identity that belongs to someone else. For example, you might acquire appropriate clothing, letters of introduction, and official- looking certification to establish yourself as a member of a trading house from a remote city so you can insinuate yourself into the company of other wealthy merchants.

Thereafter, if you adopt the new identity as a disguise, other creatures believe you to be that person until given an obvious reason not to.

(Not really sure if this #2 will even be a thing in Larians game) ( So #1 is good, but that is really all your going to get for this sub class) Will see what else they put in.

3. Impostor
At 13th level, you gain the ability to unerringly mimic another person's speech, writing, and behavior. You must spend at least three hours studying these three components of the person's behavior, listening to speech, examining handwriting, and observing mannerisms.

Your ruse is indiscernible to the casual observer. If a wary creature suspects something is amiss, you have advantage on any Charisma (Deception) check you make to avoid detection.

4.Death Strike
Starting at 17th level, you become a master of instant death. When you attack and hit a creature that is surprised, it must make a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, double the damage of your attack against the creature.

This plays out through most all the classes, I'm not going to post them all. Its just my opinion that most the fun character abilities come after lv 12. As for those of you who would say and have said it to tough to implemented high end spells , some spells your absolutely right, however games that are over 15 yrs old did it.. The never winter trilogies

Neverwinter 2002

Neverwinter 2006

As for game release lv 12 is fine with me. I'm hoping for a expansion like previous dnd games. If not... ill live. BTW I'm a grandpa now of a 5 month old and I've never been more in love, so perspective. Happy camper cheers all

Last edited by Doomlord; 09/07/23 07:45 PM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I'll concede that I don't know Pathfinder first edition at all so I can't genuinely speak to how accurately they conveyed it. I'm just going by what I've heard people say. Though I personally LOVED the kingdom-building mechanic in Kingmaker and the crusade mechanic in Wrath of the Righteous. I loved getting time to just focus on kingdom building or taking a break fromthe main game to go crusading with my armies, so I think it may be a matter of taste. Or maybe it just happens to hit my specific thing that I like in games.
It's very much D&D 3.5. They optimized it further, but it is very unmistakable continuation of the same system. If you read introduction to core book, they even (almost) plainly speaks of it. Only to avoid legal issue they worded it as "3rd edition of world's most famous roleplay system". And yes, as hard as it is to believe now, back in the days Paizo and WotC still maintained very friendly relationship, and not been at each other throats.
Even though Pathfinder practically started with WotC ruining their own reputation with release of 4th edition. As both players hated it with passion, and many D&D devs also hated it. Leading with very big exodus of D&D devs from WotC to Paizo, and other studios.

Not second edition though. Even though it's still unmistakably D20 system, and with very much D&D-theme (less D&D-ish with upcoming 2.5 revision, again, stupid legal issues). 2nd edition nevertheless was built from a scratch, with very high focus on a game balance. Although simplification as well. In many ways PF2e actually achieved what WotC failed with 5e. More simplified system, but at the same time not nearly as broken. Though that of course if very surfaced coverage of both systems.

Last edited by Redwyrm; 09/07/23 11:08 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
To put things in perspective, the whole campaign of "Descend into Avernus" is designed for levels from 1-13, and we are talking literal archdevils fights. Don´t know exactly the scope of this campaign but just to put things in perspective as to the power level it can represent.

P.D.: i am, however, also hoping for a future expansion and higher level character progresion :P

Last edited by JackTheReaper; 10/07/23 02:53 PM.
A
stranger
stranger
A
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
A 5e crpg would be incredibly hard to balance at high levels. It's well known that the 5e CR system breaks down at levels greater than ~10 (or even 7 imo). Casters get incredibly powerful spells that can decimate groups of enemies and instantly end combats. Additionally, saving throw bonuses don't scale well with level. E.g., a fighter's Int and Wis saves will be +0 to +2 at levels 12+ against enemy spellcaster DCs of 18-22, meaning they'll almost always fail. This turns high level 5e into an extreme game of rocket tag.

Additionally, the party balance would become wack. While casters grow exponentially in power, martials notably do not and begin to contribute much less than casters to combat, exploration, and social encounters. This feature would not be great for a multiplayer-focused game such as BG3.

A live DM can fine tune encounters to match a specific party composition and tactical competency to keep things roughly balanced, but this doesn't really work in a video game. High level encounters would either completely stomp parties or be easy to the point of trivialness.

Larian hasn't historically done DLC for their games, so I doubt they're doing it here. Idk if they've stated an official reason for why they specifically chose 10 at first and then 12, but imo it's a good balance point between character growth in power and preserving any semblance of balance.
Bg1 lv7
Bg1 expansion lv16
Bg2 lv20
Bg2 tob lvl40

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Answer+5
A 5e crpg would be incredibly hard to balance at high levels. It's well known that the 5e CR system breaks down at levels greater than ~10 (or even 7 imo). Casters get incredibly powerful spells that can decimate groups of enemies and instantly end combats. Additionally, saving throw bonuses don't scale well with level. E.g., a fighter's Int and Wis saves will be +0 to +2 at levels 12+ against enemy spellcaster DCs of 18-22, meaning they'll almost always fail. This turns high level 5e into an extreme game of rocket tag.

Additionally, the party balance would become wack. While casters grow exponentially in power, martials notably do not and begin to contribute much less than casters to combat, exploration, and social encounters. This feature would not be great for a multiplayer-focused game such as BG3.

A live DM can fine tune encounters to match a specific party composition and tactical competency to keep things roughly balanced, but this doesn't really work in a video game. High level encounters would either completely stomp parties or be easy to the point of trivialness.

Larian hasn't historically done DLC for their games, so I doubt they're doing it here. Idk if they've stated an official reason for why they specifically chose 10 at first and then 12, but imo it's a good balance point between character growth in power and preserving any semblance of balance.
Bg1 lv7
Bg1 expansion lv16
Bg2 lv20
Bg2 tob lvl40
What's your point? If you're using the evolution of the BG1&2 games as an argument for why BG3(&4) should follow the same trend, that logic doesn't really follow. There are too many differences.

BG1&2 used AD&D 2e, whereas BG3 is using D&D 5e. In addition to being separated by multiple editions (3 or 4 depending on how you could 3.5e), these editions were created by entirely different companies.
BG1&2 were developed by BioWare, whereas BG3 is being developed by Larian Studios.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
"Well known" by who? Nobody that matters. All dnd can be played at any level if the DM knows what they are doing. Period.

Last edited by Volourn; 10/07/23 07:35 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
BG1&2 used AD&D 2e, whereas BG3 is using D&D 5e. In addition to being separated by multiple editions (3 or 4 depending on how you could 3.5e), these editions were created by entirely different companies.
BG1&2 were developed by BioWare, whereas BG3 is being developed by Larian Studios.
3.5 was just a revision of 3, it can't really be counted as new edition, just as upcoming "D&D One" can't be as well.
Shame though, 5e already 9 years old. Would make sense invest into 6th edition, instead of trying to patch quite broken 5th one.

addict
addict
The depth they have gone to to get choice and consequence, graphical quality, cinematics etc etc..
To go to above level 12 where characters are starting to reach epic abilities the budget would get ridiculous as would the number of years to make the game…

old hand
old hand
If this were 3.5, I too want to reach 20, so you can actually build something fun other than gain more APR and Attack Bonus.

But this is 5E. You get fun new stuff to do every level. I'm fine with it. The things a level 12 party can do in 5E is incredible.
12 is fine. You can get 10 levels in warrior ethos for two APR and dip in something other. You can attain level six spells. You can grab three stat increases / feats.

Edit: And there is bound to be DLC coming, a BG4.... They have to leave room to expand a bit.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 11/07/23 10:00 AM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
I think this game sucks because you can't even summon Odin or Bahamut. You can't fight against Sephiroth and you can't even reach level 99. Enough said.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard