Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
The stats didn't change at all while they went through different races. I'm assuming this might've been fixed for the presentation.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Aurora42
Here is he thing and my issue, yes orcs is on a general level stronger and sturdier, as elves is generally more agile, etc and so fourth... but i still think the we the players isnt general we are the exceptions and thus a mage orc should or could have a +2 to int, and be just as good as a high elf mage... its much much less common, but i think its fairly fair and open up all races for all classes in a much more fair way...

To make a example if you look at background in DnD 5e, its actually stated that the backgorund in PHB is just examples and something that is just a example of a urchin... and again, not all urchins in the entire world comes from the same form, its kinda retarded to think the all Urchins in the entire universe and planes all have Sleight of hands and Stealth, they could as well have survival and persuasion... its outright stated you can make your own background...

And to further this, drow are generally evil... is that seen that All drow have a intereic + to their evil axis and thus cant have certain levels of good ?... my point is yes drows is generally evil but on the rare occasion a just as good aligned drow exist, like drizzt ?!?...

Do i think there should be cultural and racial characteristics, i sure do, but i rather see it have a certain list of more loosly apropriate racial features, like for example that forest gnomes can speak with aimals, or dwarves speak has a affinity with rock stuff...

That being said, i can play eitherway, but i do like the path DnD one is taking even more so in regards to half "races"... My issue is f people want all races to be attributed by their general atributes then that should be across everything, meaning all drows is evil, since their generally evil, or atleast they cant be good since they have a plus towards evil, wich would be the same for orcs, githiyanki... right ?

I totally respect your taste in building a character, and I actually fully agree on unlocking the backgrounds, because background is actually a storytelling tool that is rooted into your character's past actions. However, inter-species differences are not rooted in actions, they are rooted in morphological differences. Having something like Strength or Dexterity or Intelligence in the game means that those concepts fundamentally apply to every species in the game, and it would be weird for them to apply the same way to orcs and halflings for example. Thats why I insist that the general rule remains intact and the optional rule unlock everything for everyone, see?

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Fantasy races shouldn't just be window dressing. Their differences should matter.

This is a terrible idea.

addict
addict
I certainly hope floating ASIs will be available. If not though, I am sure that'll be a mod in a matter of hours.

old hand
old hand
So, after all, according to @TheRedQueen, it seems like what we are getting is the complete absence of racial abilities and a possibility to assign a floating +2 to one ability and a +1 to another. There is also no information on whether this is the only option, the main option or the optional rule. If this is the only option, then I am slightly upset, because for me this disconnects your character from the rest of the world in a bad way. However, I am not mad about it and still think that its going to be fun exploring the new system and all the possibilities.

Originally Posted by neprostoman
So, after all, according to @TheRedQueen, it seems like what we are getting is the complete absence of racial abilities and a possibility to assign a floating +2 to one ability and a +1 to another. There is also no information on whether this is the only option, the main option or the optional rule. If this is the only option, then I am slightly upset, because for me this disconnects your character from the rest of the world in a bad way. However, I am not mad about it and still think that its going to be fun exploring the new system and all the possibilities.

What?!
So race has been demoted to a mere choice of appearance?
This is indeed a sad day for all players...

I personally can't be happier, even though this was just a small thing. As many said during this discussion, races have more things to them than "appearance". Lore is not "appearance", breathing flames is not appearance, as is not being able to cast spells and cantrips.

I personally can't wait to play a wise half orc druid!

... because it's fun!
addict
addict
This is fantastic news for me. My favorite race happens to be mechanically the worst possible option for my favorite class (Dragonborn and Druid). Now I can fix the ASI issue and play the character I want without a major handicap.

And he'll still be distinctly a Dragonborn too, as he'll be covered in elemental-resistant scales and be running around breathing elemental energy from his mouth. Something unique to his race that no other race can replicate that at least minorly effect how I play my druid.

Besides, Dragonborn ASIs were always weird to me. No CON bonus when their breath attack scales off CON? Really?

@TheRedQueen has said on several occasions that she knows no more than we know.
So, where did she get this information? Is this just a guess, or legitimate, developer-confirmed information?
@neprostoman, could you quote what she said?

OP Offline
It may be ironic given that I requested the very thing, but I have a bittersweet feeling about it now since this thread reminded me that many players like racial bonuses. I hope that everyone can play the character they like and this change turns out to be an improvement for the game overall.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Edvin Black

@TheRedQueen has said on several occasions that she knows no more than we know.
So, where did she get this information? Is this just a guess, or legitimate, developer-confirmed information?

Its not very convenient for me to quote using the phone, but in her feedback thread she told everyone about being at PFH and having an opportunity to play the game, starting with the character creator. So this seems to be true, even if we don't like it. smile

Originally Posted by Llengrath
It may be ironic given that I requested the very thing, but I have a bittersweet feeling about it now since this thread reminded me that many players like racial bonuses. I hope that everyone can play the character they like and this change turns out to be an improvement for the game overall.

Well, maybe it will be related to the difficulty selection.
If you choose the easy difficulty, you will be able to divide the bonuses as you wish.

Its not very convenient for me to quote using the phone, but in her feedback thread she told everyone about being at PFH and having an opportunity to play the game, starting with the character creator. So this seems to be true, even if we don't like it. smile

Ok, you've calmed me down a little.

There's still a pretty good chance that what they was playing is just a test version where some of the settings are taken very loosely.
I think Swen even complained that a different version of the game was installed on one PC than he thought was there.

So all may not be completely lost.
smile

veteran
veteran
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=856451#Post856451 wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
thread reminded me that many players like racial bonuses

When a game evolves there is always someone who is more affectionate to the old system than others. You can see this with sequels, new editions, adaptations and whatnot. To not change means to remain stale and never improve. Not all changes are for the better, that's sure, but we know that that's the goal, wether the idea fail or succeed.

Larian is our DM and they are adapting a game through an overly different medium. At the table I can ask my DM to change one thing to another, and Larian is simply that master that said yes.

Even without changing medium I'm sure that many people wouldn't play in a campaign dmed by me because I've a lot of Houserules myself, like giving advantage and disadvantage to interpretation, like ignoring busy hands for somatic components, like using potions as bonus actions and so on. You can't please everyone.

Edit: and all of this ignore the fact that anyways the floating stats are official rule for 5e, and the default for 5.5 (one D&D), so...

Last edited by Sansang2; 08/07/23 02:04 PM.

... because it's fun!
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=856451#Post856451 wink

Ok, now I'm even more convinced that it was just a test version, since it looks like humans also had +2/+1 which would make them a useless race, since they have nothing at all besides their +1 bonus to everything.
Damn @neprostoman, you scared the crap out of me for a second hehe

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

Ok, now I'm even more convinced that it was just a test version, since it looks like humans also had +2/+1 which would make them a useless race, since they have nothing at all besides their +1 bonus to everything.
Damn @neprostoman, you scared the crap out of me for a second hehe

Hahaha, wasn't my intention, sorry! I am still not very optimistic about the game keeping the racial abilities in place.

Hahaha, wasn't my intention, sorry! I am still not very optimistic about the game keeping the racial abilities in place.

I am also not 100% convinced, but for now the facts indicate that the system has not been changed.
Thanks God (of murder).

Last edited by Edvin Black; 08/07/23 02:15 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sansang2
When a game evolves there is always someone who is more affectionate to the old system than others. You can see this with sequels, new editions, adaptations and whatnot. To not change means to remain stale and never improve. Not all changes are for the better, that's sure, but we know that that's the goal, wether the idea fail or succeed.

Larian is our DM and they are adapting a game through an overly different medium. At the table I can ask my DM to change one thing to another, and Larian is simply that master that said yes.

Even without changing medium I'm sure that many people wouldn't play in a campaign dmed by me because I've a lot of Houserules myself, like giving advantage and disadvantage to interpretation, like ignoring busy hands for somatic components, like using potions as bonus actions and so on. You can't please everyone.
Completely agree and Larian have a tough choice here. I'm happy to see some customizability is likely coming up.

If it ease your feelings the same discussion happened on Reddit, but on there there something around 95% positivity around the concept of floating stats. It's not as far as divisive as it's in here.

... because it's fun!
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard