Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
you know a player could edit its stats and still play multiplayer right? its like you are just making up situations to justify your opinion
saying stuff shldnt be added because players could cheat is silly imo

no thanks, I'll imagine playing bg3 the way I want to play. you can just not use the feature

I personally just want bg3 to be close as bg1 and 2 as possible , larian has really missed the boat on that so any little features they can add that will at least give a small nod to the old games id enjoy and use
trying to argue a feature is cheating is just silly as the feature can be programmed any way that larian sees fit (if they care about players cheeseing it some how, wich they dont based on other far easier ways to make fight easy such as blasting objects at encounters before you even fight them)

I feel like I need to jump in here because multiplayer always gets forgotten in these discussions. I run a Multiplayer Guild and we focus on issues like these because we have to look at it in a multiplayer context.

To clarify:

I don't give two shits what you do in your single player game. It's your experience, go have fun.

However, stat rolling in multiplayer would be a fucking nightmare for everyone.

1) There would be the issue of fairness - in multiplayer you want everyone to start on the same page with the same level of advantages, especially in a game where there is some competition BETWEEN players that is inherent.
2) No one wants to wait an hour or two while some dingus compulsively rolls for the "perfect" stats.
3) Or worse if you only get one roll, and somebody doesn't like it forcing everyone to start character creation over so they could "get a better roll"

At least with mods all 4 players have to install the mod in order to go into a stat roll multiplayer game, which gives a lot of people an easy "out" on having to participate in that. Our guild has banned any mod like that because we wouldn't take any player that insisted on needing to do that (they would be considered below the required skill threshold to play with us by dint of needing that crutch).

So from a multiplayer perspective Larian 100% did the right thing. Thank you Larian.

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Again, rolling for stats is the base for 5e. Anything else including point buy are the variant. That said, best way to do this is give at least 3 different ways. In SP it dorsnt matter. In MP, they can have it where the host can lock in or leave open which stats determination is open to joiners. There a non issue is solved. Isnt Larian bragging about how many OPTIONS the game has?

Also, to make it clear to the people who dont like 'classic' rolling... Rolling 4d6 six times and choosing where to place them is the base fir 5e per the PHB. Everything else is a variant. Read it, and weep. Of course in the end, it is up to Larian, but they claim they want to follow the PHB base rules, and not giving thus is skipping a fundamental part if said rules. Lol Not a gamebreaker for me, but it be funny. laugh

Last edited by Volourn; 10/07/23 01:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Redwyrm
And i plainly explained why... perhaps it worth re-reading my post.
Im affraid you didnt ...

You told me ballance have its purpose ... you told you you like ballance ... and you told me you want it in your game.
Neither of those things interests me at all tho ...

Maybe you missunderstand the question ...
Let me rephrase it:

Why do you care what will be in MY game?
Why do you care what i demand in my game?
How will it affect you if there will be alternative, that you dont have to use at all, if you dont want to?

Better?

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/07/23 01:35 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
So you believe larian cant code the roll to only be pressed one time?
Even if they could ... why bother?

Its my game and i do that bcs i want to do that ...
Whos business is that but mine alone? laugh

Yes, multiplayer is often used as a counter argument ...
But you can kick any player that dont follow rules you agreed on.
So again, where is the problem?

veteran
veteran
I'd like to better understand why single player folks who want stat rolling feel that having to install a mod to get that is considered a "step too far"?

Also, if they included stat roll but you only got one roll just like the PHB would that be acceptable for everyone?

"To find your ability scores, roll 4d6, drop the lowest number from each roll, and repeat 6 times. Then, place these numbers however you want in your ability scores. This is a high-risk/high-reward situation that can potentially unbalance your character in either direction"

Or do you folks want that compulsive "roll as many times as you want" thing which isn't supported by any version of D&D ever?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
All problems you mentioned are solvable.
And its not even hard. laugh

First of all, when you play with some people, you (and now i mean whole group) should be able to agree on certain rules for that game ... if you all agree on not rolling stats, then dont roll stats > problem solved.
Yes, anyone can roll stats and just not tell you ... i presume you will notice tho.

Tell me honestly, do you really wish to keep a person who dont give a shit about anything and do whatever he wants?
I wouldnt.
I would kick him out, and wouldnt even feel bad about it. :-/
But to each their own i gues, just dont blame sytem for it.

Second:
Maybe im naive ... but i can imagine it shouldnt be too hard for Larian to give host of Multiplayer option to just not allow this option.
Solved again. ^_^

1) There would be the issue of fairness - in multiplayer you want everyone to start on the same page with the same level of advantages, especially in a game where there is some competition BETWEEN players that is inherent.
Every time someone mentions rolling stats, i mention infinite point buy ...
It have same results, it just saves player time.

Your group agree they wish to feel stronger ... but nobody wants to reroll their stats thousand times?
No problem ... you agree on buffed standard aray ... lets say: 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 16
(It was first outcome from stat roller on internet)

You "point buy" theese stats as you see fit and problem is solved.

Can someone cheat? Well, of course they can ... but that was solved abowe.

2) No one wants to wait an hour or two while some dingus compulsively rolls for the "perfect" stats.
Again, key to satisfying multiplayer is comunication ...

You should be able to agree on anyhting that feels good to everyone ... if you are not, im affraid what is waiting for you will not be pleasant multiplaer experience. wink

3) Or worse if you only get one roll, and somebody doesn't like it forcing everyone to start character creation over so they could "get a better roll"
Honestly this whole idea of that restriction feels idiotic and unnecesary to me.

It solves nothing and only makes people angry ...
If that was Larian goal, they should have sell Pacman instead of Baldur's Gate III. smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD

First of all, when you play with some people, you (and now i mean whole group) should be able to agree on certain rules for that game ... if you all agree on not rolling stats, then dont roll stats > problem solved.
Yes, anyone can roll stats and just not tell you ... i presume you will notice tho.

Tell me honestly, do you really wish to keep a person who dont give a shit about anything and do whatever he wants?

Rag, respectfully, How much multiplayer have you played?

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran

Really getting 'the game works for how i like to play therefore it's good' vibes from you right now.

veteran
veteran
I'd like to better understand why single player folks who want stat rolling feel that having to install a mod to get that is considered a "step too far"?
Im not aware that anyone ever said its "step too far" ...

It just feels unnecessary.

This request is here for a long time, it would be fine to be clear if it ever will be fulfilled or not ...
Tell me one topic where this dont apply.

Some hate it, some love it, probably most dont give a shit ...
Tell me one topic where this dont apply. laugh

Of course, if the game come out and there will be no option, we will download the mod ... what other choice will we have? smile
Again ... tell me one topic where this dont apply. xD

But just as with all other requests across all the games in whole industry and human history ... we just rather not have to. wink
Isnt it same with you? :P
You can also download a mod that would ban this for multiplayer ... but im sure you would rater not have to. wink

Also, if they included stat roll but you only got one roll just like the PHB would that be acceptable for everyone?
Nobody can (even tho some try) speak for everyone ...

To me?
Yes, it would.

Or do you folks want that compulsive "roll as many times as you want" thing which isn't supported by any version of D&D ever?
Sure, why not? smile

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I'd be absolutely fine with the just one roll rule. Not a big deal. Point buy is boring though it's become the standard largely in dnd crpgs even though it's not the standard in the 5e PHB. LOL But, rpg devs are known to be lazy abd too keen on 'balanced' because some players ate loud and think that dnd is a competitive sport.

And, as I already pointed out there's already an easy fix fir MP. Let the host decide just as they'll likely get to decide difficulty abd other basic 'rules' for that campaign. Problem sold.

Unlikely but this is what I'd do if I were Larian:

1. Roll 3d6 x6 (option of setting it in order, and have an 'extra roll")

2. Roll 4d6 x6

3. Low PB

4. Medium PB

5. High PB.

Choose at start if campaign. Host in MP sets the standard for the campaign they host. Much like they decide difficulty, abd other optional stuff.

EVERYONE WINS.

veteran
veteran
Funny you allready forgot that you asked me at least twice this question. laugh
But dont quote me on that, all those times are just estimated ... i don't keep a game diary smile

Lets see ...

I play WoW for last 10 years ...
I play chess over internet for last 17 years ...
I played DnD for last 5 years ... with two stabile groups ...
I played Diablo III since it was released ... purely with open game, never solo ...
I play DIablo IV with group that just recently fall appart, so since it was released, last month alone ...
And i have around 5-6 (not sure if we finished the last one, i think there was patch) Baldur's Gate III. gameplays trough EA in multiplayer. smile

And some shorter periods on Counter Strike, Mass Effect, SW:Republic Comando, or SW:Battlefront ... but those vary from range of few weeks, to few months.

So ... take whatever you want from it.

But *I* would dare to say that i played enough multiplayer to know that if there is an asshole in your group, it rarely ends well. wink

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast

100% agree mate people making up multiplayer arguments are just doing so to gatekeep the game, and think their way is the only way it should be played, IMO
and considering most/all multiplayer is going to be played with your friends you can quiet easily discuss how you want people to play before hand artificial restrictions are not really necessary,
and i was just trying to find the middle ground with suggestions, however your point it the correct stance imo.

let people do what they want and add a kick function. problem solved

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Really getting 'the game works for how i like to play therefore it's good' vibes from you right now.

Again, I don't care what people do in single player. I don't think downloading a mod that already exists is too much to ask. Where if multiplayer needs to make a change we would all have to have that mod which would require a lot more work.

Look, the multiplayer folks are all on the same page on this - because they understand what a huge problem this would cause in regards to getting games going and the potential arguments. I would invite you to see for yourself.

I am curious how Commodore feels about this since he is planning to do multiplayer as well.(has done?)

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Dude. It's simple. Let the host decide what method. Just like difficulty right? Or any other campaign wide option that must be chosen. It's not complex. Then the potential joiners can decide if that's the game fir them, and if you are playing with friends you can have that discussion just like anything else. Why is this do hard to figure out?

veteran
veteran

100% agree mate people making up multiplayer arguments are just doing so to gatekeep the game, and think their way is the only way it should be played, IMO
and considering most/all multiplayer is going to be played with your friends you can quiet easily discuss how you want people to play before hand artificial restrictions are not really necessary,
and i was just trying to find the middle ground with suggestions, however your point it the correct stance imo.

let people do what they want and add a kick function. problem solved

Spoken as someone who has not actually played multiplayer.

Actually, the VAST majority of games are between strangers on the Larian Discord.

It's REALLY hard to have these kinds of discussion with a group of people who don't know each other - and someone could easily have a bad experience if they get streamrolled into a situation they are not in agreement with.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 10/07/23 02:58 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Dude. It's simple. Let the host decide what method. Just like difficulty right? Or any other campaign wide option that must be chosen. It's not complex. Then the potential joiners can decide if that's the game fir them, and if you are playing with friends you can have that discussion just like anything else. Why is this do hard to figure out?

I love how all these folks who have never actually played any multiplayer in this game are like "dude, it's so simple..."

I mean I only have over 2k hours in multiplayer and run a multiplayer Guild where I get feedback from a half dozen admins and 80 regular players - but what do I know?

I would invite you to take a walk in my shoes and then come back with experience to inform your opinion.

Last edited by Blackheifer; 10/07/23 02:22 PM.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
I don't think downloading a mod that already exists is too much to ask. Where if multiplayer needs to make a change we would all have to have that mod which would require a lot more work.
If it takes 1 woman 9 moths to birth a baby ...
How long will it take to 9 womans?

This is same situation. smile
If download a mod for me to use is "not too much to ask".
Then you all can to the same and its aswell "not too much to ask" ...

Thats why mod argument is not relevant. wink

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Spoken as someone who has not actually played multiplayer.

why do people come up with bs statements like this, how does this statement improve your point? think anyone else in the forum thinks oh Blackheifer must know Xzoviac and knows he doesn't play multiplayer and his opinion is coming from a place of naivety? - I like to believe most people are not that stupid.
attempting to come from a place of authority, your opinion is the only valid opinion because you DO infact play multiplayer.

well shock horror, a kick function would work perfectly fine against randoms too that dont want to play by the hosts rules, and a leave function works just the same no one is going to get railroaded in to something they dont want to do

and just encase you are in any doubt Blackheifer, I do infact play multiplayer games

I love how all these folks who have never actually played any multiplayer

trying to use a Place of authority again

2k hours in multiplayer and run a multiplayer Guild where I get feedback from a half dozen admins and 80 regular players - but what do I know?
Again

come back with experience to inform your opinion.

Respectfully, How much multiplayer have you played?

Last edited by Xzoviac; 10/07/23 02:44 PM.
veteran
veteran
"come back when you've played 2k hours in multiplayer"

No, I don't think I will. I don't need 2k hours in multiplayer to want an option for rolling for stats, anymore than you need to NOT want that option. I don't really want to argue though, this thread is turning sour quickly.

veteran
veteran
I don't think downloading a mod that already exists is too much to ask. Where if multiplayer needs to make a change we would all have to have that mod which would require a lot more work.
If it takes 1 woman 9 moths to birth a baby ...
How long will it take to 9 womans?

This is same situation. smile
If download a mod for me to use is "not too much to ask".
Then you all can to the same and its aswell "not too much to ask" ...

Thats why mod argument is not relevant. wink

Sigh, that's called the Mythical man Month fallacy

I have literally heard this fallacious argument 5 times in the last week. It's a line of illogical thinking that collapses as soon as you apply any systemic organizational system to the model. it's nonsense. I would invite you to not repeat it further.

Blackheifer
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard