Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Yo no one choosing non-custom-origin lol
Not really suppriseing though. The origins are cool for replayablity. But most people buy a d&dragons game are going to do a custom character first.

That said I definitely am planning to try and do a solo assasin astartion whose only focused on growing stronger than cazador and killing him

Actually I am a bit surprised. I had the feeling they were rather popular. Personally I don't see the appeal. The Dark Urge has potential, but I'm pretty sure I already played that character in BG1/2.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I'll definitely play a non-Dark Urge custom character for my first playthrough, though am still dithering about exactly who they'll be. And I'll probably continue to do so right up to release.

But I do find the idea of being able to experience the companions' stories as party members first then jump into their shoes to see what the adventure might look like from their perspective pretty cool and, if I enjoy this game as much as I think I will, expect to eventually play through each of the origins plus probably two Dark Urge playthroughs (both resisting and submitting).

Though I'll admit that if I'd been given the choice up front about either being able to play as some of my companions OR having lots more content that could help connect custom characters to the world and flesh out their history in different ways, I'd have chosen the latter.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
yes its like trying on moms shoes, sure its funny but you really want to walk around in your own

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'll definitely play a non-Dark Urge custom character for my first playthrough, though am still dithering about exactly who they'll be. And I'll probably continue to do so right up to release.

But I do find the idea of being able to experience the companions' stories as party members first then jump into their shoes to see what the adventure might look like from their perspective pretty cool and, if I enjoy this game as much as I think I will, expect to eventually play through each of the origins plus probably two Dark Urge playthroughs (both resisting and submitting).

Though I'll admit that if I'd been given the choice up front about either being able to play as some of my companions OR having lots more content that could help connect custom characters to the world and flesh out their history in different ways, I'd have chosen the latter.
Did you learn anything else about Señor Urge? Freeform origin that just gives PC more flavor?

(also have a feeling The Urge is an Avatar of the Quasi-Divine Bhall)

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
If the Dank Urge is more than just "play a serial killer or say no and miss out on all the extra content" then I might play that during a 2nd playthrough, I want to see a redemption story, but my current plan is a custom character. None of the origins appeal to me in the slightest. I want to play my character, not Larians.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
It's dnd. People want to roleplay their own character. The 'origin' characters are all Larian 'cool dudes'. They're best as joinable nocs not the actual player. Lol Why would I wanna roleplay someone else's character? Crpgs are already limited in what choices you get... I'm not gonna limit it further by playing someone else's character. Lmao

stranger
stranger
tbh I'm intrested in the dark urge storyline, It could be a really good story behind that. Plus BG1-2 hero was a bhaalspawn I dont know this origin is a spawn too or not but based on the lore they have this dark temtation to do evil acts what you can deny . In BG1-2 just wasn't obvious for the main hero or how I remember it so this dark urge origin feel like a real bhaalspawn to me. My plan is to completely deny the "urge" but I'm just a bit worried to even possible to avoid to kill ANY innocent ppl/creature through the whole game...

Last edited by zsuszi; 10/07/23 03:59 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Volourn
Why would I wanna roleplay someone else's character?

I dunno, because it's fun? I loved playing as Commander Shepard, Revan or Geralt of Rivia.

Just for the sake of argument. In the originals, if you could play as Imoen - wouldn't you at least *try* that experience? Or as Sarevok? I would, and I would love it. It's not my *first* choice, but dismissing it outright is missing out, I think.

It's dnd.

I'm guessing I'm a little older; but there was a time when it was pretty common for a DM to make up the characters in the campaign and you got to choose. Especially for newer players. Hells, the Starter Kit does this. Not everyone knows how to create a character that is fun, plays as you expect it to *and* is effective. Not everyone has the imagination to come up with something. So for them, it's actually pretty neat to pick something and just play.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 10/07/23 04:25 AM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I'll most likely be playing a forest gnome land druid with the sage background for my first playthrough. He'll have high Int and Wis, as he worked as a nature researcher/biologist before learning Druidic magic.

I've also been thinking about playing my first EA Pl character. He was a Zariel tiefling valor bard archer. He'll have the guild artisan background as he was an weaponsmith's assistant that would also single tales of the heroes that came by their shop.

apprentice
apprentice
I will play a human paladin, folk hero who see's his wife die during the natuloid fly through. He will be torn by the decisions and fight back against his growing rage. So I'll do a vengeance Paladin/totem Barbarian. I will have no romances and be hell bent (pun intended) on killing all the mind flayers.

veteran
veteran
I like the origin characters well enough, but I'm not at all interested in playing them. I tried playing sebille in DOS:2 and it really did just feel wrong. I knew what she was like from a prior playthroughand playing her as nice simply did not feel comfortable orright. Plus I love character creation and imaginingmyown characters. If I could play as a custom character instead of Geralt for example, I absolutely would and I'd never play geralt because he doesn't interet me all that much honestly. I played witcher 2 twice to see the branching story and Witcher 3 once and I have no interest in returning. But if I could make my own character I absolutely would. Playing my own character is just always more fun to me. People are coming to this game to play their own characters, so of course people are less interested in the origins.

F
addict
addict
F
I will probably start off several characters and see which I like the best. But I'm interested in playing Karlach, Wyll, and The Dark Urge (halfling bard and duergar monk).

F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I'm guessing I'm a little older; but there was a time when it was pretty common for a DM to make up the characters in the campaign and you got to choose.

For those old enough to remember: Dragonlance.

apprentice
apprentice
Seeing as I am currently reading an old Robert E Howard book , I'm going to be Kull - King of Valusia , and a Barbarian ( thats about the limit of my knowledge for D&D lol) and the only kinda story I can put to it is getting the Tadpole outa my head and returning home to govern my Kingdom ( Yes I know Valusia has nothing to do with D&D ) Or I mite be Crom - Conan's sombre moody God) and yes still a Barbarian or an Elf Rogue/Assassin

journeyman
journeyman
After thinking through, here is what I planned :

FIRST RUN

Druid Half High Elf, good-aligned team, romance with Shadowheart. The druid is a great tactical character and RP & visually I love it. I kept on the side my usual Ranger, despite they added the Gloom Stalker subclass, because I feel that at high level ranger will be still just sending arrows, whereas the Druid become powerful and impressive. Maybe in a replay, though.
Allies : Minsc, Shadowheart and one DPS (possibly Wyll or Gayle)

SECOND RUN
Arcane Trickster, Half Elf Drow ?, romance with Minthara (the romance with Lae'Zel look a bit hardcore :D), semi-evil aligned (test the tadpole powers, join the Absolute, but I won't go too deep in the darkest places of BG3 :D)
Allies : Lae'Zel, Karlach, Minthara. I might add Astarion punctually.

THIRD RUN
The Dark Urge, Warlock, I will try the path where he resist most of the temptations, to see if he can be redeemed or if he is really doomed.
Maybe a romance with Karlach or Lae'Zel, it looks like it would be fitting.

FOURTH RUN
If I ever do a fourth run, it should be :
Paladin, Human, romance with Viconia maybe

Last edited by Isenthal; 10/07/23 09:31 AM.
F
addict
addict
F
Originally Posted by PlugUglies
Seeing as I am currently reading an old Robert E Howard book , I'm going to be Kull - King of Valusia , and a Barbarian ( thats about the limit of my knowledge for D&D lol) and the only kinda story I can put to it is getting the Tadpole outa my head and returning home to govern my Kingdom ( Yes I know Valusia has nothing to do with D&D ) Or I mite be Crom - Conan's sombre moody God) and yes still a Barbarian or an Elf Rogue/Assassin
You may be too young to know this, but back in the early 80s there where two official D&D Conan modules released. Conan was a duel classed Fighter/Thief. This was 1st edition, and Barbarian had not yet been added to the game. You can probably find the stat block online.

Last edited by FrostyFardragon; 10/07/23 09:45 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Thanks Frosty for thinking Im young lol and ty for the Fighter/Thief combo that sounds good fun to try

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll likely try a Dragonborn Monk first(Sub-class TBD)

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Dude, I've been playing dnd for nearly 40 years so stop with the 'age nknsebse'. Players have always largely preferred to play theur own characters if given a choice. The whole point if dnd is using yiur imagine and creating your character is 'half the fun' as they say. Sure, pre made characters have their place espicially in one shots. But, largely not a 60hour+ crpg.

Even the games you listed, like Kotor and and ME yiu are creating yiur own character. In Kotor, your Revan is a blank slate and he or she us a legit character of your choice. Shepard wven gets variant backgrounds, history, and everything. Outside of the basic you are a space soldier, it's your character.

And, no, I would nkt want to plsy as Imoen or Sarevok. Their npcs. Their great to interact with and suit their purpose well. They have their personalities. To try to 'rpleplsy' them.would be either very limited - much like acting - or you would just bend what the character is. Probably one of the reasons why I dislike Twitcher. Geralt is not my character so making choices fir him is silly. He has his pre built personality. You either rigidly follow it or you off kilter it and the character no longer matters.

The starter kit is a bad example since it's literally used to introduce players/dms to the game and it's mechanics. It's an intro. FYI, I've had some fun with pre made characters in the last, but cresting your own character is 1 million times better, and 99.999999% of people likely agree - not that I personally worry about that subject it comes down to personal opinion. But, that's the spirit of dnd. Creating your own hero or villain and playing thst character. My greatest memories if dnd is that not playing Bob Bozo created by some other person. Lol I had one group I was gonna join try go push me to play a character created by an ex member and I laughed at them, and created my own which they accepted. Lol

Anyways.... that's enough spam. laugh

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard