Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24
G
G
Ok this is the thread with 411 info.

Given that technical details aren't really spoilers at this point, can you ask Larian if they intend to directly or indirectly update the BG3 Wiki site (I don't know who manages it).

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Grizzmyt
Ok this is the thread with 411 info.

Given that technical details aren't really spoilers at this point, can you ask Larian if they intend to directly or indirectly update the BG3 Wiki site (I don't know who manages it).

Glad it's been useful!

The only wikis I'm aware of are fan ones, though.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Okay, last pass through my notes for some more random but probably non-spoilery content stuff I spotted in the presentation by Swen on the morning before the PFH.

I am going to put this in spoiler tags, though, as though it's things I'd not mind knowing in advance of the game, some folk might prefer to discover it for themselves as they play. And I do have just a bit more stuff noted that I definitely judge to be spoilers so I won't call it out, though I might try to drop tantalising hints if anything to which it's relevant crops up here or in other places grin

• It appears Karlach, who turned out to be much sweeter than I expected, had been in the hells for 10 years.
  • Some companions are up for poly relationships. The only specific example given was Halsin.
  • I saw various new and different creatures, including dinosaurs, a displacer beast, a kobold and a djinn.
  • The (probable) hollyphant we saw in trailers wasn't Lulu.
  • I saw the meeting with Gale's tressym we can get if he's a companion, but apparently if we play Gale as an origin we'll meet it much earlier.
  • I saw one of the possible consequences of scrying eyes spotting us doing stuff that the cult wouldn't like.
  • I saw a couple of things that might happen with Zevlor and Councillor Florrick depending on our actions.
  • I saw a meeting with the head of the Guild, with some special content that apparently we'll only get if Jaheira is with us.
  • I didn't see inside it, but we did go past an entrance Swen said led to the Undercity.
  • Apparently there are a number of background citizens added to Baldur's Gate to make it feel busier, but we can speak with more than 50% of the random folk and though many will only have a sentence, those sentences can change depending on what we've done and what's happening in the world.
  • Swen showed us the amount of optional detail that we might uncover as we explore and think creatively about how to interact with the world and characters, including a short jaunt to Chult, which was pretty mind-boggling for something that looked pretty easy to miss!
  • I saw the intro of the third antagonist, Orin, and it was EXTREMELY COOL. And from what Swen said, if we only play the game once, we might never realise quite how cool it really is. I recommend avoiding any further spoilers about this if you possibly can for maximum impact when you play.

Okay, I like all of this. I'm wondering if we can get more detail on these ones...?

• I saw one of the possible consequences of scrying eyes spotting us doing stuff that the cult wouldn't like. <--What consequence?!? I wanna know, too!
  • I saw a couple of things that might happen with Zevlor and Councillor Florrick depending on our actions. <--What might happen???
  • I saw a meeting with the head of the Guild, with some special content that apparently we'll only get if Jaheira is with us. <-- Was it nine fingers? Was the character/scene interesting? Can you describe it?
  • Swen showed us the amount of optional detail that we might uncover as we explore and think creatively about how to interact with the world and characters, including a short jaunt to Chult, which was pretty mind-boggling for something that looked pretty easy to miss! <--What's the whole Jungle of Chult thing about? Can you tell us more?

I asked a few questions in the spoiler tag. Sorry if I'm asking too much. I just kinda like hearing about this game.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Imagine trying to sneak pretending to be a cultist at moonrise and immediately getting killed by kethrik because they saw you kill minthara with the eye

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by JandK
Okay, I like all of this. I'm wondering if we can get more detail on these ones...?

• I saw one of the possible consequences of scrying eyes spotting us doing stuff that the cult wouldn't like. <--What consequence?!? I wanna know, too!
  • I saw a couple of things that might happen with Zevlor and Councillor Florrick depending on our actions. <--What might happen???
  • I saw a meeting with the head of the Guild, with some special content that apparently we'll only get if Jaheira is with us. <-- Was it nine fingers? Was the character/scene interesting? Can you describe it?
  • Swen showed us the amount of optional detail that we might uncover as we explore and think creatively about how to interact with the world and characters, including a short jaunt to Chult, which was pretty mind-boggling for something that looked pretty easy to miss! <--What's the whole Jungle of Chult thing about? Can you tell us more?

Okay, here's just a bit more detail on each of these, still trying to avoid completely spoiling anything, but I'm definitely, definitely recommending folk who prefer to discover things for themselves do not click for goblins here!

• I saw one of the possible consequences of scrying eyes spotting us doing stuff that the cult wouldn't like. <--What consequence?!? I wanna know, too! - RQ: Let's just say that if the scrying eyes see something, the Steel Watchers will know about it
  • I saw a couple of things that might happen with Zevlor and Councillor Florrick depending on our actions. <--What might happen??? RQ: I'll leave it at that if we don't help the tieflings at the grove, Zevlor's story probably doesn't have a happy ending. And that Florrick and Gortash don't see eye to eye, so his ascent to power doesn't go well for her but if you help her she'll help you.
  • I saw a meeting with the head of the Guild, with some special content that apparently we'll only get if Jaheira is with us. <-- Was it nine fingers? Was the character/scene interesting? Can you describe it? RQ: It was indeed Nine Fingers, and she and Jaheira appear to have history. It was interesting, but I'm not going to try to describe it any further as I didn't note the exact details and don't want to get anything wrong!
  • Swen showed us the amount of optional detail that we might uncover as we explore and think creatively about how to interact with the world and characters, including a short jaunt to Chult, which was pretty mind-boggling for something that looked pretty easy to miss! <--What's the whole Jungle of Chult thing about? Can you tell us more?RQ: Well, outside Baldur's Gate, there's a circus with many things going on that I can't wait to experience for myself, and amongst the attractions is a very (and amusingly) rude djinn with a rigged wheel of fortune. If you can somehow interfere with his ability to rig the game, you can win. And if you win your "prize" will be a sudden and unexpected trip ... from which you probably want to find a portal to get back to the city as quickly as possible grin

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Okay, I have finally - I hope - answered almost everything here to the best of my ability (please shout if I've missed anything - it wasn't intentional!) and shared everything non-spoilery in my notes that I think folk here might be interested in.

The questions I've not yet addressed are about the reaction in the room and from the people there to the Halsin/Astarion scene. Right now, I'll just say it was a bit of a mix of shock, admiration and amusement. And probably a combination of those three things would be an accurate description of my own personal reaction too.

I'm sure you'll be curious for more detail (particularly on the "admiration" bit, which might seem a strange word to use in this context) but you can see from all my posts today that I've already spent a long time here so I'm going to beg your patience for one more night and will expand on my short answer properly tomorrow, once I've had some sleep.

Speak to you all then!

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Beechams
that I've not mentioned yet.

The bear?

I've not forgotten. How could I? grin

I'm just guessing once we get to that it might then dominate discussion, so trying to cover everything else first.

I think everybody who has something to say on that topic has said their piece, and clearly, no minds are being changed. It might be in everybody's interests to just put a moratorium on that subject, and limit it to what you observed of the audience in the room, conversations you had with other participants, etc. All the stuff that you have access to. And perhaps, when you saw it, did you know immediately it was going to be a moderation nightmare?

But beyond that, unless there's a lot of disagreement, I don't think we need burden you with yet another free for all.

Last edited by colinl8; 09/07/23 11:27 PM.
addict
addict
I heard that Daisy was changed, it's a little disappointing. I literally don't understand what the point of the guard is, I thought the dream should "seduce" us, that was the point... It's useless now.

I don't speak english well, but I try my best. Ty
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Siege664
Thanks for all the info on resting updates!

As someone that seems to long rest less often than most, I'm glad story will be less tied to it now.

Sorry they got scattered through the thread! Clearly my notes on camping and resting weren't very well organised grin

Originally Posted by Tarlonniel
It also seems that rather than taking the act 1 camp in the wilderness with us, we'll get new camp locations for each area we visit (which we were probably expecting from the fact that the game already gives us different camp maps when we venture into the Underdark and so on, but still to see that confirmed).

mourns my camp decorating dreams wink

We can still hope that at some point in Baldur's Gate our "camp" will become a permanent stronghold that we can decorate to our heart's content, without needing to pack everything into the Traveller's Chest every time we move to a new area!

Well given Baldur's Gate is Act 3, I can see us getting one or more Strongholds in the city. In fact I can see each origin getting a unique Stronghold, Gale a new Wizards Tower, Astarion his former Master's place, Shadowheart a Temple, Wyll his family's estate, Karlach & Lae'zal I'm not sure, Dark Urge that murder den in the sewers, Tav a customizable Tavern maybe?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Giannis_M
That's what i gathered as well but i wanted to know for sure. Well either way the game will be amazing. It doesnt really make sense to me because we have heard they would add more PC voices without the PCs being fully voiced. Does the sound barks need to be so detailed with 8 different voice options?
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
Okay, definitely curious about this! Could you share with us the snippet of news about Daisy? Thanks for all the great answers so far

Originally Posted by FrostyFardragon
Who is Daisy, and what has she done to Hal?

"Daisy" is the nickname for the character we're asked to customise along with our protagonist as part of character creation.

I'm going to pop this bit in spoiler tags, though given everything I saw that was different was at character creation it's not something you'd need to wait long to discover once you play the game grin

In Early Access, after we created our character and were ready to venture forth, we were asked "Who do you dream of?" and were able to set the race and appearance of a second character in a floaty lilac robe.

In the build I saw at the event in Ghent, this was different. For my custom Tav at least, I was instead told "You need a guardian, choose one" and the character we could configure was dressed accordingly, in a slightly paladiny/crusadery way. I'm speculating that Larian have listened to folk who found the original Daisy disturbingly creepy and have reworked this interaction. Personally, I quite liked the creepiness, but freely admit it didn't work for all my planned protagonists, let alone all players, so I'm quite glad there seems to have been a bit of a rethink. Of course, it's anyone's guess what this means for the actual Daisy interactions in game, and as I only rested once and didn't dream (not even a "Where are you?" despite having used my illithid power to free SH from the pod), I have no insight to offer on that front.

We'll have to wait and see whether we're able to have a bit more control over the nature of the relationship with Daisy, or whether the relationship will still be the same for all but of a different kind. But still, I found it interesting that this change has been made, and I know that for some folk here at least that will be something of a relief.

EDIT Just updated to clarify this was only for a custom character. I'm not sure what happens for origins, and whether their Daisies might be specific individuals from their stories, such as Cazador for Astarion. I'm guessing the origin character "Daisy" dream sequences might be quite different, though that's speculation.

I suspect its that they didn't want Daisy stepping on The Dark Urge/Hobgoblin guys toes as the creepy option, so they went with a more heroic option, might still be Tav lover, but less dark, hypothesis Daisy 2.0 might be an Astral Deva/Guardian Angel now, Astral Devas cam shape shift maybe instead of just existing in our minds we can summon him/her/they with Planar Ally. Do you pick a class as well as a Race/Subrace for Daisy now?

Are we able to customize Origin characters appearance and subclass when playing them? Like changing Shadowheart off Trickery domain or Wyll to Great Old One?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

Okay, here's just a bit more detail on each of these, still trying to avoid completely spoiling anything, but I'm definitely, definitely recommending folk who prefer to discover things for themselves do not click for goblins here!

• I saw one of the possible consequences of scrying eyes spotting us doing stuff that the cult wouldn't like. <--What consequence?!? I wanna know, too! - RQ: Let's just say that if the scrying eyes see something, the Steel Watchers will know about it
  • I saw a couple of things that might happen with Zevlor and Councillor Florrick depending on our actions. <--What might happen??? RQ: I'll leave it at that if we don't help the tieflings at the grove, Zevlor's story probably doesn't have a happy ending. And that Florrick and Gortash don't see eye to eye, so his ascent to power doesn't go well for her but if you help her she'll help you.
  • I saw a meeting with the head of the Guild, with some special content that apparently we'll only get if Jaheira is with us. <-- Was it nine fingers? Was the character/scene interesting? Can you describe it? RQ: It was indeed Nine Fingers, and she and Jaheira appear to have history. It was interesting, but I'm not going to try to describe it any further as I didn't note the exact details and don't want to get anything wrong!
  • Swen showed us the amount of optional detail that we might uncover as we explore and think creatively about how to interact with the world and characters, including a short jaunt to Chult, which was pretty mind-boggling for something that looked pretty easy to miss! <--What's the whole Jungle of Chult thing about? Can you tell us more?RQ: Well, outside Baldur's Gate, there's a circus with many things going on that I can't wait to experience for myself, and amongst the attractions is a very (and amusingly) rude djinn with a rigged wheel of fortune. If you can somehow interfere with his ability to rig the game, you can win. And if you win your "prize" will be a sudden and unexpected trip ... from which you probably want to find a portal to get back to the city as quickly as possible grin

Thank you. Really looking forward to release.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Beechams
that I've not mentioned yet.

The bear?

I've not forgotten. How could I? grin

I'm just guessing once we get to that it might then dominate discussion, so trying to cover everything else first.
We're leaking ya'll:
https://old.reddit.com/r/cursedcomments/comments/14v3hua/cursed_bear/

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Nyloth
I heard that Daisy was changed, it's a little disappointing. I literally don't understand what the point of the guard is, I thought the dream should "seduce" us, that was the point... It's useless now.

I think the point is to make Daisy different from the Dark Urge, less dark & creepy, more heroic? My guess is she is a guardian angel. Could still end up a lover.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nyloth

Yah, I have no idea what I'd make for any of my characters now. It was easy to just imagine a cute Dream Girl for each of them, but some kind of guardian? They're adventurers. They don't exactly desire someone else to protect them from danger.

[*]Swen showed us the amount of optional detail that we might uncover as we explore and think creatively about how to interact with the world and characters, including a short jaunt to Chult, which was pretty mind-boggling for something that looked pretty easy to miss! <--What's the whole Jungle of Chult thing about? Can you tell us more?RQ: Well, outside Baldur's Gate, there's a circus with many things going on that I can't wait to experience for myself, and amongst the attractions is a very (and amusingly) rude djinn with a rigged wheel of fortune. If you can somehow interfere with his ability to rig the game, you can win. And if you win your "prize" will be a sudden and unexpected trip ... from which you probably want to find a portal to get back to the city as quickly as possible grin
[/list]

OIh wow, this is exciting! one of my favorite regions of Faerun. Just seeing it for a second will be fantastic. I hope my druid can learn a few tricks while he's there.

Also thank you for covering all this!

Last edited by SaurianDruid; 10/07/23 02:45 AM.
apprentice
apprentice

• Some companions are up for poly relationships. The only specific example given was Halsin.

Cross my fingers that Astarion is also openminded.

stranger
stranger
I'm curious about the Nautiloid ship and the first map as mentioned changed compare to EA. Size too or just the layout?

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Synaryn
Are we able to customize Origin characters appearance and subclass when playing them? Like changing Shadowheart off Trickery domain or Wyll to Great Old One?

I'm afraid I didn't note this for definite, but I don't think we can. In fact, I think someone shared a screenshot on these forums somewhere showing the Edit Appearance option was greyed out for origins other than The Dark Urge, and from admittedly hazy recollection we simply don't have a class/subclass tab for them.

Definitely feel free to wait for more reliable and better evidenced info from elsewhere, but I'd brace to find that the non-Urge origins are pretty fixed.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Animat10n

Cross my fingers that Astarion is also openminded.

I kind of feel that he would be, but that's just speculation grin

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by zsuszi
I'm curious about the Nautiloid ship and the first map as mentioned changed compare to EA. Size too or just the layout?

Because of the change in layout, I can't actually comment on the size, because ...

I found a shortcut that took me straight from the (redesigned) room with imps after meeting with Lae'zel to outside the room with Shadowheart, so didn't see any of the deck area at all. I assume it's still there and I just bypassed it by climbing up some icky membrane stuff, but obviously can't evidence that given I didn't see it smile

Page 13 of 24 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard