Print Thread
Page 16 of 24 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 23 24
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by Volsalex
A question - is the +2 / + 1 abilities score rule for all races mandatory or optional? Second could be the better option, since some builds can be heavily reliant on current race bonuses.

As far as I could see on my very quick survey, it applied to every race. Of course, many of them have a +2/+1 already so in a sense it is optional as the player can always leave the bonuses on their default attributes. But for some, eg humans (which I did look at) and half-elves (which I didn't) it looks at the moment as though we're not going to be able to replicate PHB.

Though the usual caveat applies: this was based on me trying to see as much as I could of the game very quickly, so there are things I could have missed, and also while presumably it was a nearly-final build of the game, things could still change before release.

Could I get more clarification on this, because this seems like a great change.

So I understand.

if you play, say a Gnome, you would get +2 or two +1 to put into any ability score of your choice, and then on top of that you would get an additional racial from your subrace? Then you get Point buy on top of that? is the subrace racial increase exempt from the +2/+1 +1?

if THAT is what we are getting it would be amazing, since it really does a lot to open up more race/class combos without unduly penalizing certain races.

As far as I understand, all races start 8/8/8/8/8/8 and can allocate +2 to one stat and +1 to another, then distribute 27 points as usual.

Ok, I think I get it, then do you also have Subrace racials or is all of that replaced by the +2 +1 thing?

Blackheifer
old hand
old hand
It also outed a small minority of bigots who we all got to make fun of for being weak, over-sensitive little snowflakes and who think the entire world needs to cater to their personal bigotry.

Speak for yourself? I haven't made fun of anyone confused

old hand
old hand
Ok, I think I get it, then do you also have Subrace racials or is all of that replaced by the +2 +1 thing?

Hm, not sure, but I think no. I've watched through PFH character creation twice on slow but they've never switched subraces I think, only races. May be RQ can shed some light on this.

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
if you play, say a Gnome, you would get +2 or two +1 to put into any ability score of your choice, and then on top of that you would get an additional racial from your subrace? Then you get Point buy on top of that? is the subrace racial increase exempt from the +2/+1 +1?

As far as I could tell, the +2/+1 replaces any racial attribute bonuses. In many cases, it's actually the same as the racial attribute bonuses by default, though the user seems to be able to reassign them.

So my stoutheart halfling ranger, for example, defaulted to +2 Dex, +1 Con as normal, but I could change the +1 Con to +1 Wis instead. I could have changed the +2 Dex to +2 Cha or something too, if I'd wished. I assume I couldn't have put them both on the same attribute to get a +3 but didn't actually check that.

Of course, not all races/subraces get a +2/+1 by default but what it looks like Larian have done is change their attributes to match this pattern but then give some additional benefit in proficiencies to balance in the event that this makes the race weaker than as per PHB, and some folk have gone through the PFH screenshots and gathered a bit more info about that. I'm afraid I didn't have time to do more than note the basics.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran

As far as I could tell, the +2/+1 replaces any racial attribute bonuses. In many cases, it's actually the same as the racial attribute bonuses by default, though the user seems to be able to reassign them.

So my stoutheart halfling ranger, for example, defaulted to +2 Dex, +1 Con as normal, but I could change the +1 Con to +1 Wis instead. I could have changed the +2 Dex to +2 Cha or something too, if I'd wished. I assume I couldn't have put them both on the same attribute to get a +3 but didn't actually check that.

Of course, not all races/subraces get a +2/+1 by default but what it looks like Larian have done is change their attributes to match this pattern but then give some additional benefit in proficiencies to balance in the event that this makes the race weaker than as per PHB, and some folk have gone through the PFH screenshots and gathered a bit more info about that. I'm afraid I didn't have time to do more than note the basics.

Are the special racial feats still in? For example the Lucky feat for your halfling or fire resistance for tieflings, special weapon specs for dwarves, gith, elfs etc.?

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
stranger
stranger
S
that makes human worst race, as they dont get anything on top. and i guess makes half orc and wood elf best ones for combat and magic/roguish class respectively.
btw, does anyone heard about stat / class customization options for origins?

Last edited by somewherebeyond; 10/07/23 01:37 PM.
veteran
veteran
so like an unlucky/ tall halfling could take an extra +2 Con to help with banging his head on all those low door ways wink

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by somewherebeyond
that makes human worst race, as they dont get anything on top. and i guess makes half orc and wood elf best ones for combat and magic/roguish class respectively.

Humans are getting light armor proficiency as well as polearms proficiency. At least in the PFH version.

S
stranger
stranger
S

Humans are getting light armor proficiency as well as polearms proficiency. At least in the PFH version.
for combat characters that is useless as they are getting it anyway, and for magic characters you either go with half-plate with cleric dip or wear no armour, so useless again.

Last edited by somewherebeyond; 10/07/23 01:44 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lyelle
I hope this question hasn't already been asked and I've missed it, but did you see if the owlbear cub was still in our camp? I'd imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to take Scratch along with us to Baldur's Gate, but what happens to the little cub? (Ok, maybe it's not that little 😄 But it's cute)

Sorry, Lyelle, I have nothing to report on either Scratch or the owlbear cub so we can but hope. I didn't see them in either of the camping areas that were shown briefly in the morning presentation, but then I didn't see most of the companions that must have been there somewhere either, and of course they may not even have been collected in the playthrough we were seeing the later part of, so there is no reason to despair grin

No worries, thank you for your reply! I hope we'll have them both in our camp, though I don't think it would be a wise idea to bring the owlbear cub to Baldur's Gate. But then again, we could try fighting the BBEGs with a mix of cuteness overload and impressive claws 😄

veteran
veteran

for combat characters that is useless as they are getting it anyway, and for magic characters you either go with half-plate with cleric dip or wear no armour, so useless again.

Seriously, this feels like a 'play something other than human please' move. D:

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

If you are a true chad, then this won't stop you from making a generic pure human fighter.

veteran
veteran

That's fantastic, thank you for the in depth explanation. I love it. This opens up all sorts of doors - I will communicate this to my Guild now.

I wanted to hold off until i fully understood what we were getting. Do you have any additional info on any additional racials implemented? I assume all the standard ones are still there? darkvision, armor proficiency etc?

Blackheifer
Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
It also outed a small minority of bigots who we all got to make fun of for being weak, over-sensitive little snowflakes and who think the entire world needs to cater to their personal bigotry.

As long as any making fun and name calling doesn't happen on these forums!

Disagreeing with substantive points is, as always, totally fine.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
old hand
old hand
B
Just watched the Woolfart vid and everything is 'really cool' as per usual. His comments about the number and variety of magical items got my attention and he reminded me that the maps have been overhauled to be more functional.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah

Well it's not working. Unless they physically block humans from playing draconic sorcerer. In which case I would just play human oathbreaker. No optimal meta build required for me!

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Okay, let's see what I noted about character creation that I've not already said.

• Genitals can be specified independently of body type (options were "default", "penis" and "vulva")
Wait... there's no option to have both a "penis" and a "vulva"?

Volunteer Moderator
OP Offline
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Beechams
Originally Posted by Tuco
Following this PFH I expected a deluge of previews and videos from "content creators" talking about their experience trying this game, but so far it's been weirdly silent on that front.
Not much new stuff for them to comment on to be fair at least not without spoilers. Everything they saw and experienced will be 'awesome' and 'amazing' etc.

Edit:
Just spotted this but not watched it yet

Cheers for sharing! I've just watched and it looks as though Wolfheart picked up on a lot of the same stuff I did, though he of course talks about it engagingly as always so definitely worth a look even if there's a lot of stuff you'll already know if you've read this thread.

He also seems to have looked more at alchemy than I managed, and he created a dragonborn monk Dark Urge so has some more details about that race/class/origin than I was able to provide.

He also mentions that he tried to hide behind an enemy (which I didn't as I was trying to snipe from a distance) and found he couldn't hide in the threat zone which I presume is in melee range, which sounds like yet another restriction on stealth on top of the Hide as action and immediate rolling of initiative that I encountered, so more good news in my book!

Oh, and he also noticed that supply packs could be used directly from the Traveller's Chest which I didn't.

He also chats a bit about items which he got some info about from another player, and mentions the panther wildshape and facepaint which I did come across but think I might not have mentioned here.

I'm feeling a little better now I know he doesn't seem to have got much further than me in the game, though. It sounds like he got stuck in character creation too, possibly even more than me grin

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Humans always had been the worst race, why do you think humans have the variant human subrace?, because no one would play humans otherwise, most people prefer the variant human over the regular one because of the extra feat, even during the last Panel from Hell, Twitch chat was going wild with the Variant Human spam.

F
addict
addict
F

AND something else which we haven't been able to figure out from the screenshots, other than it's a passive ability represented by three arrows.

Page 16 of 24 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 23 24

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard