Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Originally Posted by Doomlord
just seeing a lot in the last few day that's making me shake my head and say, "what the %$%^$ is this world coming to"

Fortunately, all we need to worry about here is what BG3 is coming to.

We can leave the state of the world for another day and another place grin

Or unfortunately. By the way, is it forbidden on the forums to talk these kind of themes? I don't see how it violates the rules. The feelings Doomlord has are drawn from the change directly connected to BG3. Imo, too much policing of freethinking and self-expression won't do the forums any good. I also feel deeply uncomfortable on a fundamental, emotional level about the tonal shift in gaming industry and other media and marketing during the past many years. I am trying to adapt but it just doesn't stop, world is running somewhere I am not sure we can run at such speed. This particular topic with equalizing the races in a computer game is just a grain of sand in the vast desert of little changes that are pushed to the consumer, seemingly harmless, one by one, then one day you wake up in the different reality. And boy I am not sure this reality will be a better one. I hope so.

Edit: A little more on the topic. I really, really hope that Larian Studious give us, their players, options. It is crucial that some of the changes to the beloved material are optional. If they only leave their new system with discounted races, no stat rolls, no racial stat, then for me it'll mean that they are standing behind one particular group of players with some selfish intent while discrediting the needs of all others. Here I saw a lot of players post that they are not content with the possible changes and it should matter to the developer, unless it turned into a corporate machine or is acting for some agenda. I am not asking them to drop their changes, but I think it'd be fair to let people choose.

Last edited by neprostoman; 10/07/23 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Are we sure that this proficiency isn't due to e.g., humans getting an extra feat and taking the Polearm Master feat?

I think all we're going off at the moment is the bit at ~4:11:56 in the release showcase PFH where we can see that the human has polearm proficiencies that the other races don't have (and that don't come from the barbarian class that's selected). If so, then it doesn't seem out of the question that might be updateable. I didn't play around with the "Race Features" at all and see whether those icons might in some cases be buttons we could press and select different options???

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Humans get polarm proficiency so they'll be good for clerics and druids. Maybe even for arcane casters
The problem is that in order to HIT with polearm ... you need Strength.
Wich is something Druids and Arcane Casters usualy lack.

Also i doubt there is any better weapon for Druid than Staff/Club ... especialy with Shillelagh. wink

Clerics are good example tho, they really suffer on proficiencies. smile
But im affraid they are aswell the only example. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Or unfortunately. By the way, is it forbidden on the forums to talk these kind of themes?

We can talk about anything gaming related as long as it's civil, everyone respects alternative points of view and it's in a relevant thread rather than off topic. And I don't think it's on topic here, especially as there have been other similar points raised in the ASIs thread that is also live at the moment and I don't see the value of having two threads turn into basically the same discussion. So I would definitely say that we should keep any political discussion there, where it is more relevant.

More generally, I personally don't think it's usually appropriate to bemoan the state of the world on a gaming forum, because it's basically dragging in wider politics that no doubt some people here will agree with and others won't, but none of us are here to discuss. Or at least we shouldn't be here to discuss that, given there are plenty of other places on the web! Plus it's not very fair to just spout our own opinions on non-gaming stuff if everyone else isn't going to be able to do the same, so that sounds like a slippery slope to me. So if someone says something I don't really agree with on that front, I'm probably going to say that I don't think we should be discussing it rather than start actually debating whether the world is going to hell in a handcart and, if it is, why it is.

But whether I put my moderator hat on formally is always going to depend on the tone of the discussion and whether someone is as willing to listen as to speak, and on there being no insults or personal attacks (either on people contributing here or who may be reading, which basically means everyone). I hope it's generally clear from my tone and what I say whether I'm making a friendly suggestion that I aim to help keep the discussion on track and constructive, and when I'm actually laying down the law, but feel free to PM me if it's not on any occasion, and I'll use your feedback to help make myself clearer in future.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
old hand
old hand
Sadly I think we won't settle on this one, and sorry for bemoaning the world. And your moderating is all fine, message is always pretty clear.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Or unfortunately. By the way, is it forbidden on the forums to talk these kind of themes?

We can talk about anything gaming related as long as it's civil, everyone respects alternative points of view and it's in a relevant thread rather than off topic. And I don't think it's on topic here, especially as there have been other similar points raised in the ASIs thread that is also live at the moment and I don't see the value of having two threads turn into basically the same discussion. So I would definitely say that we should keep any political discussion there, where it is more relevant.

More generally, I personally don't think it's usually appropriate to bemoan the state of the world on a gaming forum, because it's basically dragging in wider politics that no doubt some people here will agree with and others won't, but none of us are here to discuss. Or at least we shouldn't be here to discuss that, given there are plenty of other places on the web! Plus it's not very fair to just spout our own opinions on non-gaming stuff if everyone else isn't going to be able to do the same, so that sounds like a slippery slope to me. So if someone says something I don't really agree with on that front, I'm probably going to say that I don't think we should be discussing it rather than start actually debating whether the world is going to hell in a handcart and, if it is, why it is.

But whether I put my moderator hat on formally is always going to depend on the tone of the discussion and whether someone is as willing to listen as to speak, and on there being no insults or personal attacks (either on people contributing here or who may be reading, which basically means everyone). I hope it's generally clear from my tone and what I say whether I'm making a friendly suggestion that I aim to help keep the discussion on track and constructive, and when I'm actually laying down the law, but feel free to PM me if it's not on any occasion, and I'll use your feedback to help make myself clearer in future.

I respect your authority on here, I'm good. Old dwarven roofer here, tons of intestinal fortitude. I walked away a couple hrs. ago and worked out and it dawned on me, lol something I've learned many times and I'm sure ill learn it again at some point and its this.

How someone plays the game doesn't effect me, "Ill do me you do you" I still stand behind my sentiments on my previous post, however this is not my forum and there are guild lines, I can play respect that and be respectful. As you can tell, life is like a dnd game, we all have strengths and attributes mine is not writing lol

It can be learned and perfected, I try. My strengths are .. well who care lol

at the end of the day. I make my bed you all make yours.

Peace

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
So Wolfheart just confirmed that there was no stat rolling in the version of the game he got to play during the press briefing. Instead there was that wimpy "everybody gets +2/+1" nonsense so now all gnomes and haflings and dragon-borns and half-orcs are entirely the same, seemingly.

And I got to say, I'm not exactly pleased by that. Makes the world less coherent. Makes races less coherent. Even your exceptional goldfish isn't going to have a higher strength rating than your generic great white shark.

But whatever, it will probably be fine in the end.

yeah i just listened to wolfheart too , I really don't like the sound of everyone gets +2/1 even current pre release system is better then that, feels like the races lose a lot of what makes them who they are, so a dwarf can be exactly the same as an elf stat wise?

I really dont like this at all

I guess this will be another thing that needs fixing with mods

Last edited by Xzoviac; 11/07/23 12:03 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Can they also code so players can't go back to main menu, and start game anew? But you already knew that, don't you?..
you know a player could edit its stats and still play multiplayer right?
So... modding/cheating... what i was telling from start. And not what was TS asked. Not for cheat mod, but for devs to put intentionally broken mechanic in base game.

opinions on peoples personality's based on your assumptions its pretty rude mate
Haven't assumed a thing. And pretty sure never played with you. So no idea where "rudeness" comes from.

Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
opinions on peoples personality's based on your assumptions its pretty rude mate
Haven't assumed a thing. And pretty sure never played with you. So no idea where "rudeness" comes from.

You equated me to letting players re roll 1s when they stat roll to being a spineless gm, spineless implies cowardly mate, and i told you refering to me as such is rude.

Hope this clarifies things for you

Last edited by Xzoviac; 11/07/23 09:24 AM.
stranger
stranger
Seriously, does anyone expect people with the pointbuy system to not put a minimum of 17 and 16 on these stats? Same thing for roll stats, just they are 2 different ways to create the character and get better optimization. Having an 18 allows you to choose one or even two feats throughout the adventure without leaving you without maxing out your main stat. In other ways, the only way to make characters different is about what gear you have, and all you have to do to see that there are a lot of people getting the same specs or gear templates is go to youtube, redit, or similar and search info, all the people do the same thing with electric damage combos, tiefling flaming blade and all that stuff. At least if we can choose a couple of feats we can be different from others.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Cyrus
Seriously, does anyone expect people with the pointbuy system to not put a minimum of 17 and 16 on these stats? Same thing for roll stats, just they are 2 different ways to create the character and get better optimization. Having an 18 allows you to choose one or even two feats throughout the adventure without leaving you without maxing out your main stat. In other ways, the only way to make characters different is about what gear you have, and all you have to do to see that there are a lot of people getting the same specs or gear templates is go to youtube, redit, or similar and search info, all the people do the same thing with electric damage combos, tiefling flaming blade and all that stuff. At least if we can choose a couple of feats we can be different from others.

It's not necessary to waste your feats on ASI in most cases when there are items and potions in game that will raise stats beyond 18 either until long rest or as long as you are wearing them.

We have already seen the ogre strength belt, and there are potions of hill giant strength, the headband of intellect (unwarped) is probably available, the dexterity gloves are likely available.

When I make a Barbarian I give them 14 Strength and then use Potions of HGS to kick str to 21 and just use another every long rest. Then I can grab GWM and really go to town damage-wise while also having 16 con and Dex.

There is way more flexibility in just the EA than most people realize. The full game is probably going to allow for some insane builds especially compared with a full gamut of magic items you can aquire, expanded feats, subclasses, and multiclassing.

But look, there is already a mod for stat rolling, and even setting stats to whatever you want for people who want to do that. BG3 is SUPER mod friendly. Single player chads in particular will have an easy time of it just picking and choosing what experience they want based on a few mods here and there.

I am honestly perplexed by all this doom and gloom negativity. This is the most advanced and complex game I have seen in 40 years of gaming and it has a LITERAL Battalion of mods who are ready to go once the full game drops.

Has anyone considered waiting until the game comes out, playing it, and then providing feedback once you get to actually experience it in full context?

Last edited by Blackheifer; 11/07/23 12:22 PM.

Blackheifer
If I find that ogre strength belt, I respec my fighter's strength to 8 and raise other stats with those points. Now I have insane demi god just like Larian intended.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Potatoo
If I find that ogre strength belt, I respec my fighter's strength to 8 and raise other stats with those points. Now I have insane demi god just like Larian intended.

Although demi-God is a bit of a stretch - Yep, you do whatever you want. I have no judgements or gatekeeping on that score in regards to what makes sense to you. It's your experience.

I plan to play this game for the next 10 years at least so I am going to play it all kinds of different ways.

Blackheifer
stranger
stranger
I agree with many of the things you say, but I still don't understand why they take freedom in the game as their flag and promise one thing, and then not fulfill that promise and cut off that freedom. The game in all other aspects seems perfect to me, but this point in particular seems important to me too. In addition, it seems much more worrying and dangerous that they let you change the class or characteristics of an NPC whenever you want than putting the roll for stats system.It will be the gratest RPG ever? I hope so. This is a dark point to me ? Yes. Nothing can be 100% perfect smile

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Hmmm i dont think changing class and race has been confirmed for origins. Just respecing. Some things we will see in 2 weeks I guess

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

It's not necessary to waste your feats on ASI in most cases when there are items and potions in game that will raise stats beyond 18 either until long rest or as long as you are wearing them.

We have already seen the ogre strength belt, and there are potions of hill giant strength, the headband of intellect (unwarped) is probably available, the dexterity gloves are likely available.

When I make a Barbarian I give them 14 Strength and then use Potions of HGS to kick str to 21 and just use another every long rest. Then I can grab GWM and really go to town damage-wise while also having 16 con and Dex.

There is way more flexibility in just the EA than most people realize. The full game is probably going to allow for some insane builds especially compared with a full gamut of magic items you can aquire, expanded feats, subclasses, and multiclassing.

But look, there is already a mod for stat rolling, and even setting stats to whatever you want for people who want to do that. BG3 is SUPER mod friendly. Single player chads in particular will have an easy time of it just picking and choosing what experience they want based on a few mods here and there.

I am honestly perplexed by all this doom and gloom negativity. This is the most advanced and complex game I have seen in 40 years of gaming and it has a LITERAL Battalion of mods who are ready to go once the full game drops.

Has anyone considered waiting until the game comes out, playing it, and then providing feedback once you get to actually experience it in full context?

There are some fair points here. I haven't thought of it the way that involves treating consumables as an integral part of the builds and gameplay. This reminds me of Witcher and elixirs, no one complained about Geralt consmuning tones of potions to peak the build. But on the other hand, you've described a type of a world where everyone uses performance-ehancing drugs and revels in it. This can be upsetting to some people who want to roleplay classic fighters for example, not potion-drugged gigachads with 18 in every ability score. It is even more concerning how they'd balance the game around such shenanigans. Something tells me they won't at all.

stranger
stranger
This can be upsetting to some people who want to roleplay classic fighters for example, not potion-drugged gigachads with 18 in every ability score. It is even more concerning how they'd balance the game around such shenanigans. Something tells me they won't at all.

That is a good point.

addict
addict

There are some fair points here. I haven't thought of it the way that involves treating consumables as an integral part of the builds and gameplay. This reminds me of Witcher and elixirs, no one complained about Geralt consmuning tones of potions to peak the build. But on the other hand, you've described a type of a world where everyone uses performance-ehancing drugs and revels in it. This can be upsetting to some people who want to roleplay classic fighters for example, not potion-drugged gigachads with 18 in every ability score. It is even more concerning how they'd balance the game around such shenanigans. Something tells me they won't at all.

Might I interest you in BG 1 and 2?
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Potions

Between the massive availability of potions and all the permanent stat boost books, BG has always been a very consumable heavy game series.

Last edited by benbaxter; 11/07/23 02:23 PM.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
We have already seen the ogre strength belt
Acording to PFH interface ...
There is no slot for belt.

there are potions of hill giant strength
Wich might be aswell just buged in last patch, since all the other time they worked for just a few seconds?

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Roll roll roll your dice, gently across the table. Merrily merrily merrily merrily, life is but a dream.

Let me roll Larian, God damn, let me roll!

Rolling is for everyone!

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard