Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Buba68 #858211 10/07/23 08:41 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Buba68
In the Honour of Thieves DnD movie the Barbarian ladies had a thing for Gnomes ...

Wait, wasn't it a halfling???

Ixal #858222 10/07/23 09:08 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by fylimar
But you do know, that they are adults, so where IS the problem? 🤷
The culture war in the US.

And also as crashdaddy said technical aspects like motion capture. And probably also budget reasons and small races not being popular enough to jzstify the expense.

I don't know, what you mean with culture war, I'm not from the US, , but we are talking about races that are part of fantasy for a very long time.

And as Rag said, the player character can be a small race, so mocap has to be done anyway.
And as for budget reasons: according to an interview with Swen, only 5 % are going down the evil route, but still we get a lot of stuff for playing evil. I bet, more than 5% play dwarves ( one of the most iconic races in fantasy), halflings and gnomes. But the devs also made very clear, what they think of small races in the PfH, so I'd say, this is more personal bias than anything.

Last edited by fylimar; 10/07/23 09:09 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
In the Honour of Thieves DnD movie the Barbarian ladies had a thing for Gnomes ...

No, that was a gnome.

Doctor Who
B
old hand
old hand
B

Too skinny for a hobbit.
Or maybe she didnae take care of her man well enuff ...
In the closing scenes - signing of documents - it again was an IMO Gnome that caught her roving Girl Gaze ...

Found him:
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Marlamin
Played by this hottie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Cooper

Last edited by Buba68; 10/07/23 09:19 AM.
fylimar #858235 10/07/23 09:32 AM
addict
addict
I think you are taking this the wrong way. I never said that I had a problem. I said "some" as in other people can have a problem. I was not including myself.

Buba68 #858236 10/07/23 09:32 AM
old hand
old hand

Too skinny for a hobbit.
In the closing scenes - signing of documents - it again was an IMO Gnome that caught her roving Girl Gaze ...

Found him:
Played by this hottie:

The link you gave says he was a halfling though.

Volourn #858244 10/07/23 09:41 AM
veteran
veteran
Dwarves are too boring for Larian.

Unless it would be a wereboar with a dark curse that would devour the world unless you feed virgins to it. The snowflake race is unyielding, after all.

B
old hand
old hand
B
The link you gave says he was a halfling though.
LOL!
I feelso dumb out of a sudden!
smile
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Dwarves are too boring for Larian.

Unless it would be a wereboar with a dark curse that would devour the world unless you feed virgins to it. The snowflake race is unyielding, after all.
Nailed it!
We need MORE edge!

Volourn #858251 10/07/23 09:46 AM
veteran
veteran
I really do think Larian is just biased against short races. Since I would argue humans and elves are as boring as dwarves. Humans certainly are the most boring race.

fylimar #858263 10/07/23 10:09 AM
I
old hand
old hand
I
I don't know, what you mean with culture war, I'm not from the US, , but we are talking about races that are part of fantasy for a very long time.

Lucky you.
In short, in the US politics are getting more and more hostile and are spilling into all forms of entertainment.

D&D has run afoul of that several times with people loudly complaining that Orcs are racist because they somehow resemble Mongols, Africans, Arabs (people couldn't agree on which one, just that they were racist) and also monkey people which have existed since decades are now racist when shown as a bard.
The "respectfull" representation of small people is also a hot topic. And also who has the "right" to use certain cultures as inspiration for fantasy countries.

And the other side will already have a field day with BG3 and its more graphic romance scenes if it pops up on their radar.

In genetal its a huge powder keg and no one knows what will set it off next.

Last edited by Ixal; 10/07/23 10:47 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
I think you are taking this the wrong way. I never said that I had a problem. I said "some" as in other people can have a problem. I was not including myself.

Yes, but my argument still stands. And those people can avoid having sex with a companion from a smaller Race without problem.

I mean, I'm not keen on killing children or have bear sex, but I won't have it in my game, If I don't initiate it. Same with a potential companion from the smaller races. If one doesn't want sex with them, don't initiate a romance.
That is the good thing with this game, that you can decide, what you want to have in it ( around certain parameters of course). And there is also the modesty filter to peronalize the gaming experience even more.

Doctor Who
fylimar #858272 10/07/23 10:50 AM
I
old hand
old hand
I

Yes, but my argument still stands. And those people can avoid having sex with a companion from a smaller Race without problem.

I mean, I'm not keen on killing children or have bear sex, but I won't have it in my game, If I don't initiate it. Same with a potential companion from the smaller races. If one doesn't want sex with them, don't initiate a romance.
That is the good thing with this game, that you can decide, what you want to have in it ( around certain parameters of course). And there is also the modesty filter to peronalize the gaming experience even more.
And yet which modern rpg lety you kill children?

Ixal #858274 10/07/23 10:53 AM
veteran
veteran

Lucky you.
In short, in the US politics are getting more and more hostile and are spilling into all forms of entertainment.

D&D has run afoul of that several times with people loudly complaining that Orcs are racist because they somehow resemble Mongols, Africans, Arabs (people couldn't agree on which one, just that they were racist) and also monkey people which have existed since decades are now racist when shown as a bard.
The "respectfull" representation of small people is also a hot topic. And also who has the "right" to use certain cultures as inspiration for fantasy countries.

And the other side will already have a field day with BG3 and its more graphic romance scenes if it pops up on their radar.

In genetal its a huge powder keg and no one knows what will set it off next.

OK, I do know about the orc discussion and the rest, so it was just the Word cultural war, that was unknown to me in this context. but I think, Larian did show, that they don't care about what people think by showing the bear sex scene among other stuff - the hospital scene was pretty graphic too for other reasons ( which I'm ok with, don't get me wrong). I think I agree with Gray Ghost that they are just biased towards the smaller races

Doctor Who
fylimar #858275 10/07/23 10:53 AM
addict
addict

I agree with you. It can definitely be avoidable and a choice but there are some people that I've seen in other forums or chats have a really big issue with certain themes, to the point of not wanting it in the game.

veteran
veteran

I agree with you. It can definitely be avoidable and a choice but there are some people that I've seen in other forums or chats have a really big issue with certain themes, to the point of not wanting it in the game.

I understand that, I have topics, I don't want to see either, but I 'm ok with the compromise, that certain things won't be in my game. The problem is, where does it start or end, if a dev caters to every phobia/feeling etc.
In this case I think, that Larian just doesn't find the small races interesting and flashy enough anyway.

Doctor Who
Ixal #858279 10/07/23 11:00 AM
addict
addict

There are games where children have died, whether by your hands or others. Mass Effect 3, Baldur's Gate 3 and just recently Final Fantasy 16 (this one made me cry).

Ixal #858280 10/07/23 11:01 AM
veteran
veteran

Baldurs Gate 3 lets you directly kill children, if you go down that route.

Doctor Who
Volourn #858462 10/07/23 02:11 PM
V
Volourn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
V
This idea that the smaller races 'could be mistaken for children' is silly, ignorant, and foolish. Yiu already can create a dwarf or even a handling and have thembang an npc. You literally see it in one of the videos. So, I doubt Larian is concerned about that. Also, that is rather bigoted towards really short real life people. Nobody thought this way, fyi, when the dwarf was banging every woman he saw in GOT. LOL Nobody saw him and thought 'he's a child'. Lmao

fylimar #858496 10/07/23 02:32 PM
veteran
veteran
I think you are taking this the wrong way. I never said that I had a problem. I said "some" as in other people can have a problem.
Oh my sweet summer child. smile

"Some" people will allways have a problem. wink

There are even people who have problem with that someone else have problem ... or those, wich is especialy funny, who have problem with fact that someone else dont have the same problem. laugh
Our kind is messed up, that is basic truth of the world. wink

Baldurs Gate 3 lets you directly kill children, if you go down that route.
Just some childern tho! frown

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Buba68 #858500 10/07/23 02:35 PM
addict
addict

Too skinny for a hobbit.

Found him:
Played by this hottie:

IIRC haflings are supposed to just be scaled down human proportions, rather than slightly bobble-headed like gnomes, or stout and broad like dwarves.

Back from timeout.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard