Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
fylimar #859201 11/07/23 06:51 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Vitani
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Yes, Larian hate small races which is why they comprise 1/3 of the playable races in the game. NODDERS
They are in the PHB and Larian promised us the content of the PHB, they made it clear in more than one occasion, that they see the smaller races as a joke ( see during showing off the CC in the last PfH).
If they do than I am grateful none of the companions are of the smaller races. In another thread I mentioned that my dislike for them (the races) stems from the fact most RPGs make a laughing stock of of them, there is no decent representation and this is why they are the butt of every joke out there.

We can play a dwarf/gnome/halfling, so Larian delivered PHB material, but until they hire a writer that actually loves smaller races I prefer they not thouch that aspect.

I think Gale would have worked great as a gnome tbh. You wouldn't need to change anything about him storywise or personalitywise.
I play DnD a lot and have honestly never met a character from the smaller races, that were laughing stocks. I play two small characters myself, a halfling bard and a gnome artificer, and none of them are joke characters or treated as such by other players.
But if they designed him with a gnome in mind he would be a new Jan Jansen.

I mean, sure, making him a gnome now, just changing his model, would probably be okay. I don't think race plays into the companion's story in a any way (okay, Lae'zel and Karlach would still need to stay the way they are I think?).

Although I do prefer Gale as he is now, just sayin' wink

Volourn #859205 11/07/23 07:04 AM
addict
addict
I think the main reason for Early Access was for Larian to collect data about the choices players made (well, it was not for communicating with players on their forum). Those data were likely used to bring game statistics in line with player's preferences. I think it is quite possible that they analysed the data and found out that a big majority of players did not play dwarves, and therefore there was no room for dwarves in their limited roster of companions.

Last edited by Ikke; 11/07/23 07:04 AM.
Volourn #859206 11/07/23 07:05 AM
veteran
veteran
I hate this forum so much right now, it is a mess to read or write anything here atm.

Vitany:

Not really, Jan Jansen was the comical relief, while Gales story is more serious.
As for Karlach: I don't think, she needs to be a tiefling, other races are forced to fight in the bloodwar too, as far as I know,so she could as well be a dwarven lady for example.
Same with the other companions apart from Lae'zel.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
fylimar #859212 11/07/23 07:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I hate this forum so much right now, it is a mess to read or write anything here atm.

Vitany:

Not really, Jan Jansen was the comical relief, while Gales story is more serious.
I know, but like I said: If they DESIGNED Gale as a gnome they would make him a comic relief. They designed him as human so he got a serious background.

Now, changing him to a gnome would indeed get us a non-comic character. Not that I would like it, but hey - mods exist.

I'm just pointing out the mindset - most people see the smaller races like a joke, it started way back and it's hard to break out of it. I would know, I can't take them seriously either thanks to their portrayal in media in general.

Volourn #859251 11/07/23 08:07 AM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I recognise the comic relief worry (not that I object to comic relief, as long as that's not all a race is), but while it's something other games have perhaps been guilty of, it's not a problem I have with BG3. The shorter race characters it does have, I think, are good, solid, interesting characters with shades of light and dark like any others. In fact, given a lot of the dwarves we meet are duergar, probably more dark.

I actually find this almost more annoying. I think Larian have shown they are perfectly capable of creating compelling, complex shorter race characters, but still haven't given us a really prominent one as a member of our party.

Not that I want any of the existing companions to change at this stage, given I've got used to them as they are. Though obviously I'd not have missed them had they never existed. But still, I'd rather have a completely new shorter race companion (or Barcus!) than a reworked version of one that already exists.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I recognise the comic relief worry (not that I object to comic relief, as long as that's not all a race is), but while it's something other games have perhaps been guilty of, it's not a problem I have with BG3. The shorter race characters it does have, I think, are good, solid, interesting characters with shades of light and dark like any others. In fact, given a lot of the dwarves we meet are duergar, probably more dark.

I actually find this almost more annoying. I think Larian have shown they are perfectly capable of creating compelling, complex shorter race characters, but still haven't given us a really prominent one as a member of our party.

Not that I want any of the existing companions to change at this stage, given I've got used to them as they are. Though obviously I'd not have missed them had they never existed. But still, I'd rather have a completely new shorter race companion (or Barcus!) than a reworked version of one that already exists.

I really wished, Barcus could have become a companion. I like him so much. Same with Nattie, I would have preferred her over Halsin tbh ( sorry Icelyn). Both are very well written imo.

Doctor Who
Vitani #859271 11/07/23 08:34 AM
veteran
veteran

Vitany:

I know, but like I said: If they DESIGNED Gale as a gnome they would make him a comic relief. They designed him as human so he got a serious background.

Now, changing him to a gnome would indeed get us a non-comic character. Not that I would like it, but hey - mods exist.

I'm just pointing out the mindset - most people see the smaller races like a joke, it started way back and it's hard to break out of it. I would know, I can't take them seriously either thanks to their portrayal in media in general.

But they have proven, that they can make serious small characters, like Barcus or Nettie or Raphaels dwarven helper. And from what voicelines I heard from the sadly scratched Helia, she was awesome too.

Doctor Who
Volourn #859274 11/07/23 08:35 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm with you. Nettie would have been great ad a companion. And Barcus feels just primed to be one as well. He's got his own journey that he's on, but you can befriend him, it writes itself. The only question is what class he would be. I don't think anything really fits him. Not even artificer if that were in the game. Not everyone who tinkers and can build things is an artificer.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
I'm with you. Nettie would have been great ad a companion. And Barcus feels just primed to be one as well. He's got his own journey that he's on, but you can befriend him, it writes itself. The only question is what class he would be. I don't think anything really fits him. Not even artificer if that were in the game. Not everyone who tinkers and can build things is an artificer.

I think, artificer would have been a good fit tbh. But I can see him as a rogue ( arcane trickster) with the guild artisan background. He would be ideal for people, who want a rogue in the group, but don't want to deal with evil Astarion in a good playthrough.
I mean, maybe we get some more non-origin companions along the way and Barcus is indeed one of them, I'll stay hopeful.

Doctor Who
fylimar #859561 11/07/23 01:25 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Barcus feels just primed to be one as well. He's got his own journey that he's on, but you can befriend him, it writes itself. The only question is what class he would be. I don't think anything really fits him. Not even artificer if that were in the game. Not everyone who tinkers and can build things is an artificer.

I think, artificer would have been a good fit tbh.

Perhaps we Barcus-lovers need to pick up some lobbying tips from the Halsin fans! You never know, if we try hard we might get an artificer class DLC with Barcus promoted to full companion at some point grin

(Nettie is great too, but I'll admit I was happy with her as an interesting NPC to meet and didn't really get companion vibes from her, whereas I agree with Gray Ghost that Barcus just seems primed to join our party. I didn't watch the Helia data-mined stuff and I don't think I'm going to now - if she was a potentially great gnome companion/origin that we didn't get (yet?) then it'll just make me sad.)

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
Volourn #859573 11/07/23 01:42 PM
veteran
veteran
I didn't realize Helia was once supposed to be a druid rather than a bard. I'd always been opposed to Helia as a werewolf bard, but a werewolf druid? Completely fine to me. Maybe it's just that the druid and werewolf stuff feels like there's more synergy there than random werewolf plus bard.

I
old hand
old hand
I
I didn't realize Helia was once supposed to be a druid rather than a bard. I'd always been opposed to Helia as a werewolf bard, but a werewolf druid? Completely fine to me. Maybe it's just that the druid and werewolf stuff feels like there's more synergy there than random werewolf plus bard.

A character that can shapechange playing a class that can shapechange is redundant.

Vitani #859599 11/07/23 02:09 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
I've never had any love for Gnomes. But the flatulent nitwit put me off that Race forever.

veteran
veteran
Barcus feels just primed to be one as well. He's got his own journey that he's on, but you can befriend him, it writes itself. The only question is what class he would be. I don't think anything really fits him. Not even artificer if that were in the game. Not everyone who tinkers and can build things is an artificer.

I think, artificer would have been a good fit tbh.

Perhaps we Barcus-lovers need to pick up some lobbying tips from the Halsin fans! You never know, if we try hard we might get an artificer class DLC with Barcus promoted to full companion at some point grin

(Nettie is great too, but I'll admit I was happy with her as an interesting NPC to meet and didn't really get companion vibes from her, whereas I agree with Gray Ghost that Barcus just seems primed to join our party. I didn't watch the Helia data-mined stuff and I don't think I'm going to now - if she was a potentially great gnome companion/origin that we didn't get (yet?) then it'll just make me sad.)

Yeah, I guess we can learn a thing or two from the Halsin and Minthara fans.
I really would have liked Barcus as a companion.

Helia would have been a halfling, I still have hope, that she might become a surprise companion.

Last edited by fylimar; 11/07/23 02:47 PM.

Doctor Who
Buba68 #859640 11/07/23 02:48 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Buba68
I've never had any love for Gnomes. But the flatulent nitwit put me off that Race forever.

Jan actually grew on me over time. And Tiax is my fave BG1 companion. But I can't abide Quayle. So for me it very much depends on the gnome.

veteran
veteran
Perhaps we Barcus-lovers need to pick up some lobbying tips from the Halsin fans!
Not fair!
They had Chubblot! And Icelyn!

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Volourn #859643 11/07/23 02:51 PM
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Helia would have been a halfling, I still have hope, that she might become a surprise companion.

Ah! Thanks for clearing that up. I'd also take a good halfling companion grin

Buba68 #859645 11/07/23 02:53 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Buba68
I've never had any love for Gnomes.
Me neither ... for a long time.
Then i created one, in WoW ... just as a joke originaly.

Since then i understand ... Gnome cannot be explained, it have to be experienced. smile

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Perhaps we Barcus-lovers need to pick up some lobbying tips from the Halsin fans!
Not fair!
They had Chubblot! And Icelyn!
Look, it's easy:
-Make a "Fan Club of [Character]" topic and post fanart to it religiously.
-Mention how much you love [Character] in every thread and subreddit topic and twitter post at every opportunity.
-Produce fanart, comics, videos, and communities all devoted to [Character].
-Be as thirsty as possible and mention romance potential whenever you can.

Speaking of which, anyone want to do this for Alfira?

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Volourn #859685 11/07/23 03:37 PM
V
Volourn Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
V
Dwarves are usually treated seriously in rpgs. Not one dwarf joinable npc in BG history is treated as a 'joke'. Even Larian dud a decent job with their dwarf npc/origin character in DOS2.

As fir popularity... several things... varric is one of the most popular companions in a popular rpg series.

Also if laruan was going by 'popular', they'd only include the option fir human white male fighter. Afterall, thrur own research shows that as 'most popular' by a mile. Lol

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard