Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
With only 12 levels and a 27 point buy would the game be better if you didn't have to worry about having a minimum 13 in each class that you multi-classed into?

I only ask because there are no more stat requirements for multi-classing.
Multiplayer.it: We would like to start from multiclassing, given that in the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset its use is rather limited, certainly more than it was in the Divinity system. How did you approach it? Did you make it more flexible and interesting in some way?

Nick Pechenin: We've changed a couple of ground rules, just to remove possible friction with multiclassing. If you know the rules of the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons, you surely know that in order to multiclass there are stat limits that you must respect: we have removed them, there are no more stat requirements and you can make a character with multiple classes in any moment. There's even an achievement that requires you to get to level 12 with a level in every single class.

Google Translated from Italian

Interview found here

Last edited by Alodar; 10/07/23 07:51 PM.
veteran
veteran
This is true to D&D, to multiclass into another class you have to meet certain minimum requirements that class would have at level 1. Generally speaking multiclassing isn't something you just decide to do on the fly but something you plan for from the moment you start character creation. Now in terms of the achievement of getting to level 12 with 1 level in every class...that sounds horrible. I don't even know if the game would be playable that way as you wouldn't be good at anything and you'd be quite miserable at everything. The only way I can think of getting that achievement is to progress as normal to level 12, make a manual save, respec your character into a mess that has 1 level in every class to see the achievement pop and then reload the save from before you screwed up your character. But to actually play the game like that...hell no.

veteran
veteran
I think that system can be confusing to new players who would splash into 4 classes without realizing that their abilities can't decently support that many different classes simultaneously.

Also I've always felt your initial class to be a part of your backstory along with allocatable ability points - those all represent your level of training and preparation. Starting with 8 intelligence as a fighter and immediately branching into a wizard would completely devalue the lore behind the wizard's training.

Last edited by neprostoman; 10/07/23 08:13 PM.
Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'll probably abide by the D&D restrictions in my play-throughs so it will feel more like D&D.

It does open up some interesting builds, for those who wish to partake, that were trickier under D&D restrictions.

A Dex based Sorcadin is now viable as is a Tempest Cleric/Storm Sorcerer which was always tricky to build.

Last edited by Alodar; 10/07/23 08:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alodar
I only ask because there are no more stat requirements for multi-classing.
Multiplayer.it: We would like to start from multiclassing, given that in the Dungeons and Dragons ruleset its use is rather limited, certainly more than it was in the Divinity system. How did you approach it? Did you make it more flexible and interesting in some way?

Nick Pechenin: We've changed a couple of ground rules, just to remove possible friction with multiclassing. If you know the rules of the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons, you surely know that in order to multiclass there are stat limits that you must respect: we have removed them, there are no more stat requirements and you can make a character with multiple classes in any moment. There's even an achievement that requires you to get to level 12 with a level in every single class.

Google Translated from Italian

Interview found here

Well, f***. I feel like every bad decision is being made lately, feels terrible tbh. OK, let's just hope I am wrong. What else can I do, I doubt anyone at Larian cares about my opinion, hah.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I think that system can be confusing to new players who would splash into 4 classes without realizing that their abilities can't decently support that many different classes simultaneously.

Also I've always felt your initial class to be a part of your backstory along with allocatable ability points - those all represent your level of training and preparation. Starting with 8 intelligence as a fighter and immediately branching into a wizard would completely devalue the lore behind the wizard's training.
Forget about the lore, the lore would be the absolute last of your problems if you had a wizard with intelligence of 8...that would be outright broken and useless. it would be a purely wasted level. A wizard with intelligence of 8 just does not work.

veteran
veteran
It would offer more flexibility, sure, but I don't think it would make the game better. 5e...isn't really designed with multiclassing in mind. It's an optional rule, and there are lots of exploits that result from multiclassing---mainly due to classes being so frontloaded = huge benefits from taking even a single level. E.g., sorcadin, sorlock, caster + 2 levels in Fighter, starting with Fighter to get Heavy Armor Proficiency on a caster. Ability score requirements to multiclass out of and into a class are the only thing holding these back.

Additionally, while some combos would be OP, there would still be many other suboptimal, non-synergistic multiclasses that people might take if there weren't at least some restrictions.

I've never been a fan of the "everyone can be everything" approach, so I think stat requirements are okay. I'll play this as a single-player game though so it doesn't affect me what anyone else does.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
Alodar Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well, f***. I feel like every bad decision is being made lately, feels terrible tbh. OK, let's just hope I am wrong. What else can I do, I doubt anyone at Larian cares about my opinion, hah.

I'll probably abide by the D&D restrictions in my play-throughs because it will feel more like D&D to me.

It does open up some interesting builds for those who wish partake that were trickier under D&D restrictions.

A Dex based Sorcadin is now viable as is a Tempest Cleric/Storm Sorcerer which was always tricky to build.

addict
addict
Hell,
Why stop here?

Lets just make the weapon dmg all the same. Knives will do the same dmg and a great axe, we don't want anyone feeling left out for their decisions..

and while were at that lets be done with stat requirements for casting spells and their DC'S we don't want the 8 intelligence barbarian feeling left out that he isn't throwing 6d6 fireball dmg along with his heavy crit great axe.

Why shit, lets be done with Wisdom being needed for detecting secret doors and such, why even have skills. Every day goes by and I'm losing more hope for any enjoyment for this game. I could go on and on down this path.

" You do you ill do me" -Doomlord

I stand by this statement but if their going to change the fundamental why the game and rules are applied , I'm no longer playing dnd. I don't play other RPG'S none because they all seem weak, I love the rich lore and history of Dungeons and Dragons. And how its like our world where we live and die by our choices and the people we surround ourselves with our allies, who strengthen us and give our character help in our weaknesses.

I better just take a break and play some Elden Ring lol

Last edited by Doomlord; 10/07/23 09:02 PM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Wait. I thought this was supposed to be accurate recreation of pnp...now I'm hearing you don't need min stats to multi class? Lol Bg series had tem, and the more modern game can't...

veteran
veteran
Level 12 with a single level in every class lol. I'm totally doing it on my second playthrough.

veteran
veteran
I bet on reddit everyone will be cheering about this change, same as it was with racial ASIs removal. LMAO may be I am a damn fossil, a relic of the past with no idea of half-decent game design, honestly don't know anymore. Bet soon it'll be time to start making my own game and play that instead, it seems, hahaha.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Level 12 with a single level in every class lol. I'm totally doing it on my second playthrough.
And tactician mode ...
That sounds like a legendary challenge!

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 10/07/23 09:23 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Boblawblah

I think Id treat it as just three companions' playthrough, with ADD Tav along because they're adorable and the companions don't want to abandon their helpless ass

veteran
veteran
I bet on reddit everyone will be cheering about this change, same as it was with racial ASIs removal. LMAO may be I am a damn fossil, a relic of the past with no idea of half-decent game design, honestly don't know anymore. Bet soon it'll be time to start making my own game and play that instead, it seems, hahaha.
While I don't really have strong for or against feelings on the topic of racial ASIs at least the game still abides by legit D&D rules. In this case this change is from Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, so it's not like Larian is taking it upon themselves to change core rules of D&D, those changes(or at least alternatives) were introduced officially by D&D first. But I don't think you have to worry about removal of class stat requirements ever actually happening in either game or D&D. Although the stat requirements are mostly there to protect players from themselves because the results would be catastrophic. Imagine making a barbarian with strength 8, warlock with charisma of 8, etc.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
They're there because it makes sense a wizard is smart, a rogue is agile, and a barbarian is stoing. In fact, I think the minimums are too low as is. This is opposed to the barbarian 'culture' group, of course. But, that's irrelevant. It is what it is

Last edited by Volourn; 11/07/23 01:55 AM.
veteran
veteran
I much prefer the Goblins comic version where, instead of getting full levels 1 by 1, each time you level up you simultaneously gain 1/12 of a level in each class.

I would prefer for the requirements to remain. Removing them might benefit min-maxers, but I think you'd have huge numbers of people who would assume that if your character can multi into a class, they will be able to use the abilities of that class (as opposed to seeing multi-classing as an opportunity to pick up a beneficial passive. It has seemed to me that in general Larian has chosen which subclasses to implement and made class adjustments with an eye to balance--rather than supporting super OP builds and allowing some classes to lag behind. In an environment in which modding is possible and there is a multi-player option, I consider this to be for the best.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Doomlord
Lets just make the weapon dmg all the same. Knives will do the same dmg and a great axe, we don't want anyone feeling left out for their decisions..
Genuine unhinged take. Letting a character with 8 INT choose to multi-class Wizard is bad for the game but not because it removes anything from Wizard as a class. It's just letting players make bad choices, and that is hardly ever a good idea. A Wizard with 8 Intelligence is useless. A Fighter with a 2d6+2 Dagger is not.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard