Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by BiasWINS
RIGHT how DARE this 'evil company' put in completely _OPTIONAL_ features that serve to make the game accessible to a wider audience. SHAME ON THEM!........ (Seeing the threads here, i kind of understand why Larian Opt to not participate themselves it also reminds me why there's like 1 or 2 people at most from the group i used to Pen / Paper with as a teenager that i still have any sort of contact with today as an adult.)

No one said "evil".
You can spare me the clownish hot takes.

It's of questionable competence as game designers at best, though.

Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
Nobody forces you to use any of those features.
It literally doesn't matter if they are "forcing" me or anyone else to do anything.
Aside for the fact that if I'm going to join a multiplayer game I will potentially have to deal with this nonsense regardless of liking it or not, there's a problem at the source.

That's not how system design works. A game is defined by the interaction of its rules and subsystems. Messing them up randomly is not just going to be a blemish in isolation. It has a cascade effect in the way the game balances and plays out.
A game is defined by its limitations. People who think "you should always be free to do whatever you feel like" apparently struggle to metabolize the concept, though.

"Our new rule in this chess sim is that every chess piece on the board can act like the Queen when you really feel like it" is a disaster of a systemic change even if someone personally doesn't plan to take advantage of it.
Especially since that person in the will interact with other players in that ecosystem.

@Silverstar: not sure why I should care about what you are going to do with haircuts, but thanks for coming out.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
Sorry to hear that you're giving up on Larian. You will be missed around here, I'm sure.
No, I won't, because I never said I'm going anywhere.

And I can't say the feeling is going to be mutual, anyway.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Aside for the fact that if I'm going to join a multiplayer game I will potentially have to deal with this nonsense regardless of liking it or not, there's a problem at the source.
Multiplayer with randoms or just people you don't know is always guaranteed to ruin your game experience regardless...especially in a videogame where a lot of the players will have never played D&D even if the game was a million percent true to 5e. The best advice I have, and this would have been no different even if the game were true to 5e: play only people you know and trust and discuss this stuff with them to make sure you all agree before the game starts that nobody will touch the bad stuff.

The only major issue here is multiclassing...that multiclass system should just not exist. No multiclassing is better than this system.

journeyman
journeyman
"Our new rule in this chess sim is that every chess piece on the board can act like the Queen when you really feel like it" is a disaster of a systemic change even if someone personally doesn't plan to take advantage of it.
Especially since that person in the will interact with other players in that ecosystem.

How does any of these changes in any way, shape or form equate to this absurd example you're offering? If you have to exaggerate the impact of the changes so much for you to get your point across, maybe your argument isn't as solid as you think.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I have to support Tuco and how he feels, even though I know those changes are optional. The thing that bothers me is that all those big changes to the classic formula dropped out of nowhere RIGHT AFTER the dirty bear sex marketing trick that lured a lot of passing casual onlookers on a quest to do some bear banging shenanigans. It is like they did the actual DnD community dirty by being silent for several years and letting us play a COMPLETELY different game then luring some 'connoisseur of fun gaming' and dropping the biggest bomb of changes to appeal to THEM, not the fans of the source material. Changes like this should have been transparent to the community all this long-long time, period.

Edit: While I was typing...

Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
I think a big issue within the community of this game is distinguishing DnD tabletop players from those who have never played DnD but are interested in this game. I believe that Larian knows this and are also catering to that group which is why they are giving players easier options.

THIS. Exactly this, but with the balance swung dramatically to appeal the general audience and make everything for them as easy and with as few restrictions as possible so that they could feel themselves at home.
While I am not a classic DnD fan myself (having been drawn to BG3 due to a general love of RPGs and DOS2), I do think that the classic DnD tabletop lovers have gotten shafted more than other segments of the fanbase.

EDIT:
I WANT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS DISCUSSION BUT THIS DIAL-UP ASS WEBSITE IS MAKING ME FEEL YOUNG AGAIN AND NOT IN A GOOD WAY

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 11/07/23 12:08 AM.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
S
old hand
old hand
S
This feels like Larian is committing hard to courting players unfamiliar with D&D. Essentially, it's the non-optional mirror to story mode.

I don't mind reset mechanics existing, as the game will need to be marketable. I don't like their implementation, but it's fairly reasonable to take the mental load off new players.

I don't think I like them boosting multiclassing massively. It is entirely possible, however, that Larian COMPLETELY changed when we unlock what spells. If multiclassing legitimately locks characters out of strong spells late game, I can see an argument made for this.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a really questionable idea. It just may be reasonable mechanically, because they've completely unbalanced everything. I can't even discount that this is the smaller evil.

@Silverstar: not sure why I should care about what you are going to do with haircuts, but thanks for coming out.

It did indeed woosh you if that's what you got from the post. But to put it in words you won't fail to understand; I don't mind the changes overall as they're something I won't use and I probably won't play this in multiplayer. I do however think I might make minor edits to some companions.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
veteran
veteran
D&D fans attacked Sword Coast Legends for doing similar things (i.e. watering down or outright changi8ng D&D rules and mechanics). Will they hold BG3 to the same standard, or will Larian conveniently get a pass? I wonder.

addict
addict
I get it Tuco.

I have to approach this game as “based on 5e D&D”. I can enjoy this game based on that concept if the story is well written.

That’s being if they have done all this… I am pretty much sure stat rolling is in game or just choose your own stats…

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 11/07/23 01:03 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Where did you hear about the multiclass change?
That would honestly annoy me, since you can already make multiclasses more optimized than the single classes and playing around with the tradeoffs was most of the fun in character building for me. I like that I get fireball later, and have a harder time in the early game, in exchange for greater power a couple levels later...

Well, Tempest Cleric 2/ Storm Sorcerer 10 abusing chain lightning, haste, quicken spell and the wet condition is going to be the meta after all, I guess...

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by KLSLS
How does any of these changes in any way, shape or form equate to this absurd example you're offering? .
In more than one. Thanks for asking and goddbye.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Qoray

Here.

veteran
veteran
Sorry to hear that you're giving up on Larian. You will be missed around here, I'm sure.

Well, if you really decide to give up on Larian and find that you can't offer constructive comments to a company you don't believe in, then we'll all understand, I think. And if you don't trust Larian to hear/heed the common-sense, business-savvy guidance you're offering, and that makes you ultimately decide to leave... we will do our best to continue, sans said commentary.

veteran
veteran

Well, if you really decide to give up on Larian and find that you can't offer constructive comments to a company you don't believe in, then we'll all understand, I think. And if you don't trust Larian to hear/heed the common-sense, business-savvy guidance you're offering, and that makes you ultimately decide to leave... we will do our best to continue, sans said commentary.

What do you think you are you doing here, exactly? The only commentary I don't find in the least constructive in this thread is yours... better share your feelings on the changes, if you have something worthy to say apart from 'I like it' and 'It doesn't bother me'.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Choosen of KEK
Came here to complain about probably one of the most asked features shadowheartgiggle

"Some people asked for it" is not enough to make a stupid idea not stupid, incidentally.

It just makes a fool of who asked for it.
This adds onto the bonfire of threads of people being mad about stuff that doesn't affect them to be honest. Why do you care? Just don't use it if you think it is bad, dumb, stupid or whatever. Those are your opinions to which you are entitled; but to discount and restrict other people's desires based on your subjective opinion is the very definition of bigotry. Literally the only feature you can't passively avoid is the one about multiclass progression, and that you can actively avoid by not using those slots. These kinds of arguments literally make no sense at all. Just. Don't. Use. It.

veteran
veteran

What do you think you are you doing here, exactly? The only commentary I don't find in the least constructive in this thread is yours... better share your feelings on the changes, if you have something worthy to say apart from 'I like it' and 'It doesn't bother me'.

Would it be easier if you PM'd me a list of things I can/should say?

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I'm giving up on Larian in the sense that I'm not going to concede them the "benefit of the doubt" anymore.
They proved over and over across at least three games that they are absolutely dreadful at designing subsystems and balancing mechanics. And maybe even worse at understanding the implications of the systems they put in place.

But sure, feel free (hell, even ECOURAGED) to "do your best" to continue on your own. It's not like I was ever finding myself in a spot where I was particularly valuing our interactions, anyway.

veteran
veteran
Would it be easier if you PM'd me a list of things I can/should say?

Try PMing your think tank for that info. wink
Not the easiest, but worth the effort.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Qoray

Here.
That is terrible. I can only pray that something got horribly lost in translation like maybe the interview was done in English and they had a completely inept translator convert the interview into Italian and it's all just a horrible, nightmarish misunderstanding. If this was optional and maybe hidden deep in the game settings there was an option that said "ruin multiclassing, warning, you will not be able to play multiplayer with characters created while this setting is on" then I would not have cared. But this is just horrible. They would have been better off just not allowing any multiclassing at all.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 11/07/23 12:17 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I really like that we can edit the origin characters, ill probably change how they all look, I may not change all peoples classes, maybe

I wouldnt mind Shadowheart as a paladin of Shar or change her name to Viconia and be a drow cleric of Shar, it would almost fit

Wyll will stay as a warlock but id probably make him a dragon born.

ill be makeing gale a gnome wizard , or a tiefling sorc

Im not sure what ill change minsc in to but I dont really like the fact he was dragged from bg2/comics so if its not to jarring ill try make him like a random heroic npc (unless he goes on about boo a lot then hell have to stay as minsc)

Astarion will be a female halfling bard

Id definitely tweak lots of stuff to fit my personality, and remove some of the stuff i dont like, imo this is good

only news im really not happy with is races losing their unique stats, Ill suppose this is something i will have to hope a Modder fixes for me

Last edited by Xzoviac; 11/07/23 12:19 AM.
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard