Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29
G
addict
addict
G
Not surprised. They want it like DOS2 where you can be anything and everything without any roadblocks.

I feel this is why they hid multiclassing in EA. Who knows what else will be changed upon launch.

They were always going to do what they wanted to do.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by gaymer
Not surprised. They want it like DOS2 where you can be anything and everything without any roadblocks.

I feel this is why they hid multiclassing in EA. Who knows what else will be changed upon launch.

That's where the table top ruleset is going too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

This is something that I have literally found out today. The new generation of D&D is coming out next year and some of these horrific changes sound like Larian are aligning BG3 with with the next handbook...this is genuinely just terrible. Hold on to your 5e books and take great care of them because Wizards of the Coast are about to kill D&D. If you don't have physical paper books for 5e go and get a set now before they go out of print because when they are gone they'll be gone forever and all the digital stuff will be erased and replaced with the new horrible stuff.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I really don't understand the issue there. Respec is a basic feature that every CRPG should have and that pretty much everybody request. Playing for dozens of hour and realizing you built your character wrong is a terrible feeling. Multiclassing in tabletop is a clunky system with only a very few viable builds, so making it more viable make a lot of sense. Why would you want a feature where the only purpose is to weaken your character?

G
G
I intend to make the most out of my play-through and am confident that I can have a really fun play through. I am looking forward to launch.

That out of the way, I am with you after this title.

Larian absolutely Hijacked a great franchise and ruined it.

If they wanted to make a Horror RPG set in the Faerun Universe, then get the WOTC licensing and build your own lore from scratch.

Secondly, don't make false advertising.

"But I love the game!". I am sure you do, because the lore they outright stole is amazing and not their own brainchild (pun intended).

The big problem I have is all the fans of the franchise that are on the outside looking in, completely screwed over because the game wasn't made for them.

Then there are those like me that are feeling robbed thinking "this is NOTHING like a BG title".

Is it visually pleasing? It better be, this is 2023.

The acting is bang it out of the park, but the characters are B roll at best. Where are the great characters?

Who here wouldn't trade sex for feature X (like a day / night cycle)?.

Never before has a D&D developer NOT created and tested a proper engine that would support the D&D rule set BEFORE building a world.

I could keep going, but this post is too long already.

When Larian announced BG3 it was better than any kickstarter...CHA CHING! Instant pre-sales funding. Shameless money grab.

Last edited by Grizzmyt; 11/07/23 04:50 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Grizzmyt
I intend to make the most out of my play-through and am confident that I can have a really fun play through. I am looking forward to launch.

That out of the way, I am with you after this title.

Larian absolutely Hijacked a great franchise and ruined it.

If they wanted to make a Horror RPG set in the Faerun Universe, then get the WOTC licensing and build your own lore from scratch.

Secondly, don't make false advertising.

"But I love the game!". I am sure you do, because the lore they outright stole is amazing and not their own brainchild (pun intended).

The big problem I have is all the fans of the franchise that are on the outside looking in, completely screwed over because the game wasn't made for them.

Then there are those like me that are feeling robbed thinking "this is NOTHING like a BG title".

Is it visually pleasing? It better be, this is 2023.

The acting is bang it out of the park, but the characters are B roll at best. Where are the great characters?

Who here wouldn't trade sex for feature X (like a day / night cycle).

Never before has a D&D developer NOT created and tested a proper engine that would support the D&D rule set BEFORE building a world.

I could keep going, but this post is too long already.

When Larian announced BG3 it was better than any kickstarter...CHA CHING! Instant pre-sales funding. Shameless money grab.
Ok I had to stop at the horror comment, you do know the setting you are in right?

Originally Posted by Tuco
Some previews and new information are doing the rounds and what I'm learning is incredibly discouraging.

It took Larian three years to revert most of of their (almost universally bad) homebrew rules.
We had to fight for months and write down goddamn entire books to make our point about why these chances were not for the better, but here we were, close to the release and with MOST of the bad decisions finally reverted.
Sure we still have a bunch of lingering issues, but we were getting somewhere...

Then today new details started circulating.

- Apparently the player will be able to respec at will. But not just that, he will be able in any given moment to change everything about his character, including the stats and starting class.
- Apparently, the same will apply to companions too. They'll be tagged as "that companion" by the game, but you'll be able to change appearance, starting abilities and skills distribution AND STARTING CLASS, too.

Now, I know that there's always people who will argue that mods often give these options, but I think there's a fundamental difference and whole different level of abstraction between modders and use of external software and a game offering these options natively, with no barrier or filter of any kind.
It's like the game is going out of its way to remind you "Don't worry, everything about it is fake and there's no need to long term commitment about anything, because none of this matter".
Which is technically true, but heart-breakingly immersion-shattering as a message to the player.

it's not the end, thoug.

- In an interview with a popular Italian portal, the lead combat designer Nick Pechenin bragged about how they removed stat/abilities requirement for multiclassing...

...and if this wasn't already bad enough, what I read in the following statement made my eyes pop out.

- They are planning to help these "poor multiclassing underdogs" to unlock more spell slots and more quickly so that they'll be able to keep pace with the unlock of spells with their single-class counterparts. The example they made was that "It was disappointing for a multiclass player to have to delay so much the access to the fireball spell, while single-class could get it so much sooner".

This is depressing. I'm genuinely starting to think the people in charge of making key gameplay decisions at Larian may very well be some of the WORST rule designers I've ever witnessed.

Oh god, thanks! I'm estatic! I pretty much expected these things to be in the game, since Larian knows how to make games, but having a confirmation send me through the roof! I can't wait!

... because it's fun!
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
I really don't understand the issue there. Respec is a basic feature that every CRPG should have and that pretty much everybody request. Playing for dozens of hour and realizing you built your character wrong is a terrible feeling. Multiclassing in tabletop is a clunky system with only a very few viable builds, so making it more viable make a lot of sense. Why would you want a feature where the only purpose is to weaken your character?
There's not just one issue. I agree with you about the respec'ing (of Tav, not of Origin Chars' level 1 classes).

5e is not really designed for multiclassing, as evidenced by the frontloading of classes, the fact that multiclassing is an optional rule, the existence of the various subclasses which seem to fulfill the function of multiclassing (e.g., Eldritch Knight = Fighter/Wizard), and the evident brokenness of certain multiclass combos and ineffectiveness of others.

So yes, multiclassing in 5e is clunky, but Larain has done much more than simply making multiclassing "viable." Removing all restrictions for multiclassing and flat out buffing all caster muticlasses...aren't what I'd call decisions that make the system better. It doesn't seem like Larian is actually making an effort to improve multiclassing, but instead are just opening the floodgates.

Multiclassing should allow additional flexibility in character customization and gameplay options, but it is bad design if multiclassing is *the* optimal way of play. If a multiclassed Fighter/Wizard character is strictly better than an Eldritch Knight...why does Eldritch Knight exist? If a Wizard 3/Cleric 3 character has the same # of spell slots and can cast the combined spell list as both a singly-classed Wizard 6 AND a Cleric 6, then why would you ever play a normal wizard or cleric?

G
G
Ok I had to stop at the horror comment, you do know the setting you are in right?

Oh god, thanks! I'm estatic! I pretty much expected these things to be in the game, since Larian knows how to make games, but having a confirmation send me through the roof! I can't wait!

Baulder's Gate fans and D&D fans in general would not expect a game of this flavor at all because its unprecedented.

I heard BG3 and I clicked buy, "take my money please".

But beyond that, you simple don't take on a project like this and NOT respect both it's fans and lineage.

Now look at YOU. Even their supporters don't respect. TSK TSK, shameless flamers.

If you don't agree with an opinion ignore it.

I don't flame your posts.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Multiclassing should allow additional flexibility in character customization and gameplay options, but it is bad design if multiclassing is *the* optimal way of play. If a multiclassed Fighter/Wizard character is strictly better than an Eldritch Knight...why does Eldritch Knight exist? If a Wizard 3/Cleric 3 character has the same # of spell slots and can cast the combined spell list as both a singly-classed Wizard 6 AND a Cleric 6, then why would you ever play a normal wizard or cleric?
So far all that I see is speculation. Of course removing all things that makes multiclassing a compromise would make it the best way to play the game. That is not what I am reading though, merely that Larian want to avoid for it to be a noob trap.

G
G
I know why they removed the multi classing requirement.

They wanted to dumb things down and make it so people didn't have to plan their builds ahead of time AND so they could respec at will.

Sigh, I guess this generation's brains would melt if they had to plan a build that spanned BG1 and 2.

My multiclass build was set already. Making a build is a lot of the fun. Respec was just silly anyway. Rewriting the rules nonsense.

Larian understands NOTHING about D&D.

This proves that this game was not made for D&D users, because what they expect and what Larian does are on separate planes of the Multiverse.

Last edited by Grizzmyt; 11/07/23 05:22 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

This is something that I have literally found out today. The new generation of D&D is coming out next year and some of these horrific changes sound like Larian are aligning BG3 with with the next handbook...this is genuinely just terrible. Hold on to your 5e books and take great care of them because Wizards of the Coast are about to kill D&D. If you don't have physical paper books for 5e go and get a set now before they go out of print because when they are gone they'll be gone forever and all the digital stuff will be erased and replaced with the new horrible stuff.

My 3.0-3.5 library is fully stocked. Its my favorite rule set. I play fast and lose and let things run smooth or I should say I did.

Last edited by Doomlord; 11/07/23 05:17 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
addict
addict
Larian went full on casual gamer mode.
I knew this would happen, make the game open for all and let you do anything for your class, making class completely meaningless...like DOS2. Its a sauce.
Just wait for it. When 90% of newcomers start complaining that spells don't get re-memorized after combat.
Larian will change that and people say, well, its more fun and if you don't like it just don't use spells. "Its completely optional".

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 11/07/23 05:23 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Grizzmyt
I know why they removed the multi classing requirement.

They wanted to dumb things down and make it so people didn't have to plan their builds ahead of time AND so they could respec at will.

Sigh, I guess this generation's brains would melt if they had to plan a build that spanned BG1 and 2.

My multiclass build was set already. Making a build is a lot of the fun. Respec was just silly anyway. Rewriting the rules nonsense.

Larian understands NOTHING about D&D.
Prepare yourself because it seems like things are much MUCH worse than that. As far as I can tell from some of the other changes reported about BG3 it appears Larian are aligning BG3 at least partially, with the next edition of D&D which releases next year. And a lot of these seemingly wild rule changes may not have been Larian's idea. I suspect it's Wizards of the Coast trying to dumb D&D down for more mainstream appeal and more casual players. God forbid any thinking or planning might be required...we can't have that.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
So far all that I see is speculation. Of course removing all things that makes multiclassing a compromise would make it the best way to play the game. That is not what I am reading though, merely that Larian want to avoid for it to be a noob trap.
I mean...
Originally Posted by Interview
Nick Pechenin: We've changed a couple of ground rules, just to remove possible friction with multiclassing. If you know the rules of the fifth edition of Dungeons and Dragons, you surely know that in order to multiclass there are stat limits that you must respect: we have removed them, there are no more stat requirements and you can make a character with multiple classes in any moment. There's even an achievement that requires you to get to level 12 with a level in every single class. Of course, it will be very difficult for some players, but it is made possible by this removal of limits.

[...]

The other thing we've changed is how magic users use spell slots, making it less punishing to level more than one magic class. One issue with multiclassing is that if you multiclass early in the game, you don't get strong abilities like "Fireball" at the same level as a "pure" class, but we wanted players to be able to multiclass from the start of the campaign, without having to necessarily wait for the advanced levels, so it was the case to revise the use of resources a bit.
I'd be *extremely* happy to be proven wrong. But these direct quotes:
a.) State that there will be no ability score restrictions for multiclassing in BG3.
b.) State their intention that multiclassed characters get access to high level spells earlier than they would otherwise, possibly up to equaling what you'd get as a "pure" spellcaster (= based on character, not class, level).

Like, maybe this is just a 1 level bonus. "When multiclassed, your casting classes are all considered as 1 level higher for the purposes of learning spells." But even that alone is a significant buff, making multiclassing almost already strictly better than not...

addict
addict
Dare I say it...If you want to play a multiclass character, go play Baldur's Gate 2. By FAR the superior game (on so many levels...).

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 11/07/23 05:33 AM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
G
G
repare yourself because it seems like things are much MUCH worse than that. As far as I can tell from some of the other changes reported about BG3 it appears Larian are aligning BG3 at least partially, with the next edition of D&D which releases next year. And a lot of these seemingly wild rule changes may not have been Larian's idea. I suspect it's Wizards of the Coast trying to dumb D&D down for more mainstream appeal and more casual players. God forbid any thinking or planning might be required...we can't have that.

I did catch that.

Well the good news is I'm building my new bar /extended kitchen, and am taking to more in depth cooking.

Getting ready for football season, and spending time with loved ones. There is SCUBA, Kayaking, camping, and communal gatherings.

If WOTC gets too stupid I'll be sure not to miss them.

G
G
Now the problem with this campaign, is that if they start front end loading powerful spells early then it will have completely unknown balancing issues (not between classes, but for encounters).

Enemy casters will have these same spells too (and a s**t ton of barrels) so it will be a unique adventure that's for sure. I just hope these encounters are challenging.

I will pass on respec.

veteran
veteran
Oh wow, I just woke up to this.
As a big multiclass fan, I'm not happy with this changes. Why throw away the requirements for multiclassing, like stats? What good does it do to multiclass to cleric with 8 wisdom? Even if you get stat bolstering stuff ( which should not be a common thing). And why make it more powerful than a single class ? That is just stupid.
If I multiclass, I'm fully prepared to take the drawbacks, you get enough out of it as it is.

And changing the companions doesn't make any sense. Their classes are important for their stories. I'm ok with maybe giving Wyll a few levels in rogue or bard, but he should begin as a fiend warlock, because otherwise his whole story doesn't make sense. Same with all the other characters, except maybe Astarion, who imo is not really defined by his class.

Respec is ok for me. People not familiar with 5e might have specced themselves in a way, they don't have fun anymore. So that prevents them from having to start over.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
G
G
More good news.

In spite of how I feel about Larian's poor decisions and character, I am still able to enjoy the amazing graphics and the turn based combat.

My inner circle is Jaheira, Minsc, and Wyll (as I have mentioned), but I think they will brighten my play-through.

I will do the other's quest's: Free Astarian, support Lae'zel when her eyes are opened, watch to see if Gale is a train wreck or not, and free Karlach of her servitude.

Shadowheart, poor thing died bravely on the Nautaloid, a true hero to be remembered on a playing card.

Page 5 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard