Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
addict
OP Offline
addict
It is apparently a hybrid blade/hexblade design. A few other things also noted:

Link credit to neprostoman from another thread.

https://multiplayer.it/articoli/baldurs-gate-3-intervistata-lead-system-designer-larian.html

Google translate to English

https://multiplayer-it.translate.go...en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 11/07/23 01:11 AM.
veteran
veteran
Ok no, at this point this has GOT to be nonsense lost in translation, bad reporting, or outright fake stories. Larian literally just confirmed all the classes and subclasses that will be in the game at launch less than two weeks ago.

veteran
veteran
The subclasses for Warlock are:
Great old One
Archfey
The Fiend

The Pact Boon isn't a subclass technically. I honestly wish they had discussed what pact boons there would be.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Yeah, but I don't think anybody's talked about pact of the blade or tome yet, have they?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Ok no, at this point this has GOT to be nonsense lost in translation, bad reporting, or outright fake stories. Larian literally just confirmed all the classes and subclasses that will be in the game at launch less than two weeks ago.

Pacts aren't subclasses they are another choice in Warlock progression.

Your subclasses are your choice of Patrons: At first level you pick Fiend, Great Old One, or Fey

At 3rd level Warlocks can further customize their class by choosing a Pact. Pact of the Blade, Pact of the Tome or Pact of the Chain.

Currently in Early Access we've had two subclasses, Fiend and Great Old One, but only one Pact has ever been available, the Pact of the Chain.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Well Google Translate can be very VERY off 😂

This has to be a pact boon.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Alodar

Your subclasses are your choice of Patrons: At first level you pick Fiend, Great Old One, or Fey

At 3rd level Warlocks can further customize their class by choosing a Pact. Pact of the Blade, Pact of the Tome or Pact of the Chain.

Currently in Early Access we've had two subclasses, Fiend and Great Old One, but only one Pact has ever been available, the Pact of the Chain.
Pact of the Blade does not work without The Hexblade subclass/patron(not to be confused with the Hex spell) because that patron enables the Pact of the Blade weapon to use your warlock's charisma modifier and therefore be effective...that subclass is not in BG3. What that means is that this would be a worthless pact incompatible with BG3 warlocks because it would require significant investment into strength to make the weapon work.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 11/07/23 01:47 AM.
old hand
old hand
They'll just homebrew it and it'll work. I think we need start getting used to this.

veteran
veteran
Pact of the Blade does not work without The Hexblade subclass/patron(not to be confused with the Hex spell) because that patron enables the Pact of the Blade weapon to use your warlock's charisma modifier and therefore be effective...that subclass is not in BG3. What that means is that this would be a worthless pact incompatible with BG3 warlocks because it would require significant investment into strength to make the weapon work.
In the interview they say that they're adding Hexblade features to the Pact of the Blade benefits, not that they're adding Hexblade as a Pact without that subclass/patron.

Originally Posted by Interview
Nick: An example? Warlocks must choose a pact. One of these pacts is the pact of the blade, which allows him to devote himself more to weapons, create a pact weapon related to him, and so on; the part of the pact that was missing was the extra attack: a lot of martial classes have an extra attack available and Warlocks don't. The problem is that the weapons are balanced around the number of attacks per turn, so we added this to make the pact of the blade more interesting.

Interviewer: So have you integrated some of the elements of the hexblade ( a very popular Warlock subclass, but absent in Baldur's Gate 3 nd. Pregianza ) into the normal sword bond? Is that why it's missing from the game?

Nick: Exactly. It won't be possible to make a full Hexblade, but we absolutely researched the class when we implemented the changes to the Warlock. Small details, like attack modifiers, to make the playstyle possible.
Now, this doesn't actually make sense, because Pact of the Blade Warlocks could always get Extra Attack through the Eldritch Invocation: Thirsting Blade. Additionally, they don't mention anything about using your Charisma modifier, which is *the* benefit of being a Hexblade... Edit: my b, they *do* mention modifiers.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 11/07/23 02:41 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Now, this doesn't actually make sense, because Pact of the Blade Warlocks could always get Extra Attack through the Eldritch Invocation: Thirsting Blade. Additionally, they don't mention anything about using your Charisma modifier, which is *the* benefit of being a Hexblade...
There is no way this is real. Absolutely no way. It's a dead pact without the extra attacks and using the charisma modifier.

Would it really be crazy for them to mix in some of the core hexblade features like Hex Warrior into Pact of the Blade?

veteran
veteran
Now, this doesn't actually make sense, because Pact of the Blade Warlocks could always get Extra Attack through the Eldritch Invocation: Thirsting Blade. Additionally, they don't mention anything about using your Charisma modifier, which is *the* benefit of being a Hexblade...
There is no way this is real. Absolutely no way. It's a dead pact without the extra attacks and using the charisma modifier.

I'm having trouble understanding.

What is being said about Pact of the Blade?

That it's going to use CHA modifier for attack?

That it's going to give extra attacks?

Or both?

I apologize. I'm just having trouble understanding.

addict
OP Offline
addict

Real or not “Nick” said they were adding an extra attack and modifiers to make it “work”. It’s just another homebrew - see mrfuji3’s quote above.

veteran
veteran
Oh wait yeah my bad, the interview *does* actually mention changing attack modifiers. So my guess is that Pact of the Blade will allow you to use Cha instead of Str/Dex for attack rolls.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK

I'm having trouble understanding.

What is being said about Pact of the Blade?

That it's going to use CHA modifier for attack?

That it's going to give extra attacks?

Or both?

I apologize. I'm just having trouble understanding.
When you attack with a weapon the attack roll is your D20 roll plus proficiency bonus plus strength modifier unless you have a patron like The Hexblade that allows you to use your charisma modifier instead of strength. Warlocks don't use strength so if your warlock strength modifier is higher than 0 you probably set up your character wrong. At levels 1-4 your proficiency modifier is +2, then +3 at levels 4-8 and finally caps at +4 at levels 8-12. So when first starting the game you will have to roll at least a 10 on the dice for a total roll of 12 if the enemies have a DC(armor) of 12. Late game that same dice roll will be 14 and tough enemies will have DC18 or higher. So basically good luck hitting anything...late game you'll have something like a 20-30% chance to land a hit with your pact weapon. And you can't have the Thirsting Blade eldritch invocation that would give you extra attacks either.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Larian might hombrew fix that like they've done with monks and paladins

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Nightmarian
Would it really be crazy for them to mix in some of the core hexblade features like Hex Warrior into Pact of the Blade?

Wizards of the Coast is releasing an updated version of the Player's Handbook in 2024.
In their most recent playtest the Pact of the Blade Warlock was overhauled.
Many of the features of Hexblade were rolled right in to pact of the blade.
Much like the special weapon attacks that were introduced in EA, the changes to Pact of the Blade are likely based off Wizard's of the Coast playtest material.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S

Wizards of the Coast is releasing an updated version of the Player's Handbook in 2024.
Much like the special weapon attacks that were introduced in EA, the changes to Pact of the Blade are likely based off Wizard's of the Coast playtest material.

Yeah, I actually suggested they at least fold the Hex Warrior feature from Hexblade (+CHA mod) to the blade pact in a separate thread. I personally think it makes a bit more sense to me than having the whole subclass, and generally agree with that change from WOTC.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Siege664

Yeah, I actually suggested they at least fold the Hex Warrior feature from Hexblade (+CHA mod) to the blade pact in a separate thread. I personally think it makes a bit more sense to me than having the whole subclass, and generally agree with that change from WOTC.

I don't know anything about 5e, but as a player of bg3, I'd be thrilled it I could trade the ability to summon an imp for:

1. Using my CHA for attack and damage with melee weapon, and
2. Getting an extra attack.

Sign me up. Because that sounds amazing.

Are you saying there should be more than that?

veteran
veteran

Do you have a link? I would like to read about it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard