Print Thread
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
[

I'd argue that nothing is WORSE for character building than hexblade has been for 5e
What about a multiclassed hexblade with ACCELERATED spell gain? How would you feel about it?

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Tuco
- Apparently the player will be able to respec at will. But not just that, he will be able in any given moment to change everything about his character, including the stats and starting class.
- Apparently, the same will apply to companions too. They'll be tagged as "that companion" by the game, but you'll be able to change appearance, starting abilities and skills distribution AND STARTING CLASS, too.

I didn't even think about it before but this is a huge deal for Multiplayer. If we lose a player and we can't bring in a new player with a custom character - letting them simply respec the character they are taking over may solve the problem. I wonder if they can change name and appearance?
That's a great point.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
In all of this, my two least favorite portions of the news are:
-Expedited/Buffed Multiclassing (I want multiclassing to be easy. I don't want it to be uniformly better than single-classing in every respect. I want build tradeoffs).
-Altering starting class for story companions. Or altering anything about companions other than some stats and minor cosmetics.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Sounds pointless, if they removed the story you may as well just use a mercenary
Not pointless...that is the entire point. If you want to intentionally destroy the origin characters then you should be left with mercenaries.

Each and every origin character has a story centered on who they are before you meet them. Shadowheart is a cleric of Shar and you meet her while she's on a mission for Shar...if you change her then her story makes no sense so you should lose that. Lae'zel is a faithful Githyanki fighter and her story has everything to do with that...if you change that you should lose the story full stop.

Each and EVERY origin character has a very specific story centered on who they are before you meet them. If you don't like that, then fine, you can have mercenaries, but absolutely never a character that doesn't make sense running through their stories.

S
old hand
old hand
S
If Larian is taking feedback, I believe these are fairly uncontroversial points:

1. Reconsider the power up to multiclass
2. Restrict how often each character can be reset (one way or another. E.g.: at least one class locks at level x. Stats can be reset every x hours. Each companion x times).

addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
Originally Posted by Doomlord
This thought Im having was brought up somewhere else in the forums, I am concerned and curious as well.

1. Lv 1 Wizard
Lv 1 Clr
Lv 1 Ranger

= LV 3 wizard for spells casting and Lv 3 Cleric as well This cant be right?

One level of every class x12 ( which I heard there is an achievement for finishing the game like this), will the 1st level wizard be throwing Lv 6 spells as well as lv 6 cleric and warlock...
If the interview is correct, you'd get level 2 spells for each of those classes as your total level would be 3 -> grants access to level 2 spells. Additionally, as Ranger isn't a full caster class, it's unclear if it'll work this way. But for 3 full spellcaster levels (level 1 Bard + Cleric + Wizard): yes, they might gain access to level 2 Bard, level 2 Cleric, and level 2 Wizard spells.

Also, it's unclear how this will interact with Warlock...

Originally Posted by New Interview
Nick: "Another thing we've been working on a bit out of the box is the magic items in the game; various objects have been designed or introduced with multiclassing in mind, and we put them thinking "ok this will really help a specific combination a lot". An example is the intellect bandana that is already in early access: set your intelligence to 17 and it's useless for classes that already use it, but for other martial classes that may not have invested in that stat and want to multiclass it can be essential to not miss out by choosing a second class with completely different main stats"
The singular headband of intellect was fine. One additional headband/belt would also be okay. But if there's 1 of each of the stat-boosting items in the first Act (in particular, a Belt of Dex -- which doesn't exist in 5e) that'll be too much. Hopefully this quote wasn't an indicator that they'd be adding many more of these items...

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by Doomlord; 11/07/23 01:12 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
Players feeling they have to restart a playthrough because their build turned out to be hot trash is a MASSIVE quit moment in gameplay. Quit moments are bad.
How would a normal respec not be enough to address this, exactly?

And frankly I'm not even a fan of basic respec in general. I just understand its convenience.
But frankly this is a ideological war at this point.

The ill conceived notion that anything that is "convenient" also makes a game better is a bane of modern game design, in general.
That's why so many games in the end despise investing more and more in presentation and production value turn out to be so toothless and insipid.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/07/23 01:13 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Silver/
If Larian is taking feedback, I believe these are fairly uncontroversial points:

1. Reconsider the power up to multiclass
2. Restrict how often each character can be reset (one way or another. E.g.: at least one class locks at level x. Stats can be reset every x hours. Each companion x times).
3. Lock story companions' starting class.

AND FIX THE FORUM WEBSITE

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 11/07/23 01:16 AM.

N
apprentice
apprentice
N
Its watered down for convenience and accessibility. The bane of any good game. Stick to the D&D rules. The beta was sooo long, why change the rules now, makes no sense.

veteran
veteran
Guys I am starting to believe that all this stuff coming out of nonsense foreign articles and unknown publications is literally made up nonsense. I just saw someone else post more nonsense articles talking about pact of the blade warlocks being confirmed in BG3 when Larian themselves literally posted the full list of classes and subclasses in the game less than two weeks ago and pact of the blade warlock was NOT on there. For now let's calm down and wait for official word from Larian or the release of the game because a lot of this might just literally made up trash.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Guys I am starting to believe that all this stuff coming out of nonsense foreign articles and unknown publications is literally made up nonsense. I just saw someone else post more nonsense articles talking about pact of the blade warlocks being confirmed in BG3 when Larian themselves literally posted the full list of classes and subclasses in the game less than two weeks ago and pact of the blade warlock was NOT on there. For now let's calm down and wait for official word from Larian or the release of the game because a lot of this might just literally made up trash.
BUT HOW WILL I BE OUTRAGED???
YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD
YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO

addict
addict
[

I'd argue that nothing is WORSE for character building than hexblade has been for 5e
What about a multiclassed hexblade with ACCELERATED spell gain? How would you feel about it?

LOL. Yes, that would be worse; but hexblade isn't available in BG3.

Back from timeout.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
IF MULTICLASSING IS EXPEDITED WHAT THE FUCK IS THE POINT OF FEATS THAT GIVE YOU ACCESS TO ANOTHER CLASS' ABILITIES, PERKS, OR SPELLS????????
How much you want to be we get a Feat every 4 character levels instead of every 4 class levels? :p

veteran
veteran
[

See this thread (or the interview it's about), where it's claimed that Pact of the Blade will be boosted in power to be closer to hexblade.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by neprostoman
The issue I think Larian are contending with is that even 5e is a complex system. I know this from watching dozens of EA streams of people who aren't DnD familiar getting owned by simple mistakes because they don't understand that Shadowheart's Firebolt uses Intelligence to hit rather than Wisdom for her Guiding Bolt; or that her Mace is a Strength weapon and she is more likely to hit with a dagger. DnD is FULL of traps for inexperienced players to get hardstuck on without a DM to say "that's probably a bad idea".

I feel like introducing a proper tutorial sections and properly tying it to a decent story should do the trick of introducing the game to a new player base. Unfortunately, it becomes impossible when you are from Larian studios and you build your prologue based solely on the rule of cool and then slap a clumsy and messy parody of a tutorial on top of this cool action. I think a proper tutorial and maybe a manual should solve these problems better than scrapping racial ASIs, scrapping multiclass restrictions, letting us respec every 10 minutes and giving fireball to anyone who dipped one time into Wizard.
I don't have your optimism. I would fully expect the zoomer generation of gamers to brute-force through a proper tutorial without understanding it and never open a manual ever. XD

enthusiast
enthusiast
Pact Boon is a base Warlock class feature, not a sub-class.

C
addict
addict
C
100% agree with OP that every one of the items they mentioned is a fucking stupid idea. (can I say that here?). But it doesn't detract from my enjoyment one bit. In the PfH when Swen mentioned respecing, and don't recall if he said it would be free or if he said it in a way that makes me think it would be free, my gut was "why would you do that?"

But then he answered the question. It's an enormous game, and he'd rather not have people give up on it if their choices are give up, start again after maybe dozens of hours, or continue playing as something that's not fun for them.

The other changes are harder to justify for sure, but yeah, as others have noted, they all float around this idea of wooing folks less familiar with D&D and/or these kinds of games in general.

Would it be cool if those things were locked behind a harder difficulty mode? Yeah, 100%. Does it detract from enjoyment that they're not, not in the slightest.

If there are achievements eg "did such and such without respecing or multiclassing," that would be cool, but I'm not fussed in the slightest.

Really, if this is the stuff that's grinding your gears, I'm jealous of you. I've got stuff in my life that is way way way out of the normal for stuff that sucks, so a poor design decision in a fun game I can just ignore? Okay.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I really hope the multi-classing thing turns out not to be true. There MUST be restrictions and opportunity costs to multi-classing. Otherwise, everyone would do it. There would be no upside to single-classing. And in the end everyone would end up with very similar character builds. This is already enough of an issue in 5e, with everyone taking dips in hexbalde or fighter, they really shouldn't make it worse by removing the downside of multi-classing.

veteran
veteran
Pact Boon is a base Warlock class feature, not a sub-class.
Pact of the Blade is a worthless pact without The Hexblade subclass/patron which is not in BG3. Long story short is without The Hexblade patron your pact weapon depends on your strength modifier and doesn't get extra attacks...so you might as well try to beat your enemies with a wooden stick for the difference it makes.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 11/07/23 02:11 AM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
[

See this thread (or the interview it's about), where it's claimed that Pact of the Blade will be boosted in power to be closer to hexblade.

Thanks for sharing that smile

For clarity subclass pacts and pact boons are different. Pact boons aren't selected until level 3, and the better invocations, like extra attack, for Pact of the Blade (the boon) aren't selectable until level 5 or later and eat up rare resources. You only have 3 invocations by level 5.

If you need to have Warlock 5 Paladin 6 in order to get the Cha benefits, things may feel a little more balanced. Still not perfect, but far more balanced than just taking a one level dip.

Back from timeout.
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard