Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Tarorn
Must have missed something here ..it’s essentially a single player game - yes you can multiplayer likely with friends and not randoms in which case you’ll play as per the group rules.
The point is it’s irrelevant what anyone else does with the rules as presented as long as they enjoy their own experience.
Many of us will self police certain features I’m a d&d fan but last I played was third edition so I’ll apply rules as I think will most help me enjoy my experience - who cares about anyone else’s ?
Larian are selling a game to as wide an audience as they can so it will be wholly successful to all spectrum of rpg fans.
I think this will be an amazing experience over hundreds maybe thousands of hours - choice matters in gameplay - if there are parts that you don’t like - ignore it and play it your own way and have a great time doing so.

"Just don't use it if you don't like it" is an incredibly fallacious argument when applied to game design and mechanics.
In the very moment you are setting new rules and conditions, you are intrinsically changing how a game plays. That remains true even if the reaction is "I'm not a fan of it". You are basically asking the player to "pretend the flawed rule isn't there" and to self-restraining from taking advantage of it.

This fundamentally alters the "rules of engagement" between the designer and the players. It's not "Here's a puzzle/challenge, do your best to work your way around it" anymore; it becomes "You could unravel this entire thing with a button press, but try to pretend you are struggling with it".

Case in point: why would anyone have to struggle to make good use of the stat assigned to companions, when they'll be constantly merely two clicks away from readjusting each one of them at will?

But that's a bit beside the point, since in the end while INCREDIBLY LAME in itself, the "free respec" is by far NOT the worst news among these announced changes.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
journeyman
journeyman
In this context(talking about availability of respec to fix broken builds) it is. I don't want to start a new game every time i make a build mistake. You can be dramatic and say designing character build before starting the game is part of the process, but that it just for you, not everyone. I just want to play organically not spend hour or however long to research best wizard build available.

Last edited by Necrosian; 11/07/23 09:31 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
Now that I think about it, if anyone can respec freely then what is the point of the disguise self spell?

Not having to go to the trouble of entirely rebuilding your character from the ground up, including designing what they look like, and then doing it again to change back. There are issues with this, but it replacing disguise self isn't realistically one of them.

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Tuco
the "free respec" is by far NOT the worst news among these announced changes.

Definitely. For me the multiclassing stuff is way more concerning, and I think there's already been some discussion of that over at https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=859247#Post859247.

I'm going to be away for a couple of hours at least, so in the meantime I'll just suggest that we try to have discussions on one topic in one thread to save all our heads exploding. I don't mind which thread it is though grin

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Llengrath
There has to be a sensible limit though
There is and it is provided by personal choice and self-restraint.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Necrosian
In this context(talking about availability of respec to fix broken builds) it is. I don't want to start a new game every time i make a build mistake. You can be dramatic and say designing character build before starting the game is part of the process, but that it just for you, not everyone. I just want to play organically not spend hour or however long to research bet wizard build available.
You could of course just live with your mistake. That would truly be playing organically.

journeyman
journeyman
Yup, i like playing dead weight characters.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Yup, i like playing dead weight characters.
Hyperbole.
A single mistake does not make a character dead weight.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Ixal
In this context(talking about availability of respec to fix broken builds) it is. I don't want to start a new game every time i make a build mistake. You can be dramatic and say designing character build before starting the game is part of the process, but that it just for you, not everyone. I just want to play organically not spend hour or however long to research bet wizard build available.
You could of course just live with your mistake. That would truly be playing organically.

For sure. You'd ofc also not be playing a game that rivals the budget of a A-A-A SP in the style of say Horizon or TLOU hell you would not even be playin an OwlCat budget one.

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Well, there you have it folks.
[Linked Image from cdn.discordapp.com]

I'm still waiting on direct confirmation as this sounds like hearsay and possible misinterpretation to me, though no doubt offered in all good faith.

I'd find it really weird if you could make changes to origin companions on respec that as far as I could tell you can't make to them as your own origin PC. But anything is possible, including that I missed something at CC.

I'll admit that if it is true, I find it hard to see how it could work given how integral their classes seem to be to many companions. But I'll probably never find out if it works or doesn't, as while I could definitely see myself multiclassing hte companions in different ways, I can't imagine bringing myself to change their level 1 class.

Respecing the MC is just a granted, that's obvious, and respecing the companions at least from the point you acquired them (WOTR) come with it. People don't want to start over a story because their build didn't turn out as they expected, and if you can respec your MC you also should be able to respec the decisions you took for your companions.

Now, for "full" respec of the companions, I'm going put my clown hat on with this, I know, but: it's fun.

I don't expect to be able to change races of companions, as I couldn't in DOS2. As someone said before the game have a massive amount of cinematics and it would simply be impossible to make them work with new models. And there are a few more things that really matter, like Shadowheart worship towards shar. But classes and stats? They do have a meaning, sure, but only up to a point.

I'm going to play the companions as they are for my first and second play through, but after that I'd change them to have fun. I'm not interested in bringing around a mute hireling to have a barbarian party, I'd rather change Lae'zel and Minsc in barbarians.
Wyll made a pact with a devil, but not everyone who makes a pact with a devil become a warlock. He can easily be a fighter who made a pact with a devil. Shadowheart worship Shar, and will continue worshipping her as a death domain cleric, as a rogue or as a sorcerer. Gale as been rewritten so who knows how much he's tied to the idea of a wizard.

If I couldn't fully respec my companions it would change nothing to me, but having that option is just a plus that opens up the game to new experiences.

... because it's fun!
journeyman
journeyman
A single mistake? Sure. But one thing i learned playing WOTR is that you might think you are making the right choice, but you can't actually finish the game with your build.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by BiasWINS
For sure. You'd ofc also not be playing a game that rivals the budget of a A-A-A SP in the style of say Horizon or TLOU hell you would not even be playin an OwlCat budget one.

What does budget have to do with this?

Last edited by neprostoman; 11/07/23 09:39 AM.
Not everyone plays DnD you know, and learning ruleset just to play a single game seems bit much to expect from people.
In all my life I never played a crpg where I didn't have to learn rules, and I don't want to. If Larian wants to make a game where you don't have to learn any rules, that's their prerogative, but it's not what I wanted when I paid 60€ for a game called Baldur's Gate.

I have to agree that these new changes to core rules are not very pleasant to hear.

I was planning to make gloom stalker/battle master/assassin multiclass with 8 STR 17 DEX 15 CON 8 INT 16 WIS 8 CHA stats. Now if I find some magical item from the game that changes my WIS to 17 or higher I can respec my WIS to 8 and raise my other stats significantly. This makes these regular not so good magical items to be legendary status magical items.

Some might say that well you don't have to respec your stats to abuse the game but I have to because this is now built in game mechanic and the game wants me to do this or else I'm being a dumb for being a bad player.

I
old hand
old hand
I
A single mistake? Sure. But one thing i learned playing WOTR is that you might think you are making the right choice, but you can't actually finish the game with your build.
Oh please I finished WotR with several unoptimized and "badly" build characters, including one which was build from level 1 for combat in gold dragon form (already a suboptimal choice) instead of using respec, meaning for 3/4 of the game all of his feats were useless. On normal difficulty.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Must have missed something here ..it’s essentially a single player game - yes you can multiplayer likely with friends and not randoms in which case you’ll play as per the group rules.
The point is it’s irrelevant what anyone else does with the rules as presented as long as they enjoy their own experience.
Many of us will self police certain features I’m a d&d fan but last I played was third edition so I’ll apply rules as I think will most help me enjoy my experience - who cares about anyone else’s ?
Larian are selling a game to as wide an audience as they can so it will be wholly successful to all spectrum of rpg fans.
I think this will be an amazing experience over hundreds maybe thousands of hours - choice matters in gameplay - if there are parts that you don’t like - ignore it and play it your own way and have a great time doing so.

"Just don't use it if you don't like it" is an incredibly fallacious argument when applied to game design and mechanics.
In the very moment you are setting new rules and conditions, you are intrinsically changing how a game plays. That remains true even if the reaction is "I'm not a fan of it". You are basically asking the player to "pretend the flawed rule isn't there" and to self-restraining from taking advantage of it.
This argument is not fallacious in any way, shape or form. One of Larian's selling points for this game is the amount of choice they are offering via game design and mechanics. Choice implies that one or more options will not be chosen. Should I complain that Larian provides the option of killing the grove druids because I don't want to do it?

You appear to be making a tautological argument. Anything which allows deviation from the way you wish the game to be is bad. These choices allow the game to deviate from the way you want the game to be so therefore they are bad.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Llengrath
Not everyone plays DnD you know, and learning ruleset just to play a single game seems bit much to expect from people.
In all my life I never played a crpg where I didn't have to learn rules, and I don't want to. If Larian wants to make a game where you don't have to learn any rules, that's their prerogative, but it's not what I wanted when I paid 60€ for a game called Baldur's Gate.

Meant that in context of not having respec needing to design character build before playing. With respec you can just play the game and fix build issues at any time.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by Beechams

This argument is not fallacious in any way, shape or form. One of Larian's selling points for this game is the amount of choice they are offering via game design and mechanics. Choice implies that one or more options will not be chosen. Should I complain that Larian provides the option of killing the grove druids because I don't want to do it?

You appear to be making a tautological argument. Anything which allows deviation from the way you wish the game to be is bad. These choices allow the game to deviate from the way you want the game to be so therefore they are bad.

Look at the chess 'analogy' they made early on. If there was any doubt before it, there was none after.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Beechams

No.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by Ixal
Oh please I finished WotR with several unoptimized and "badly" build characters, including one which was build from level 1 for combat in gold dragon form (already a suboptimal choice) instead of using respec, meaning for 3/4 of the game all of his feats were useless. On normal difficulty.
Core difficulty here, I was stupid enough to start my first PF game at this difficulty and hit a wall somewhere in act 2. Thank god respec was bugged to be free back then else I wouldn't be able to progress further. But to be fair you can't mess a character this badly in DnD5e.

Page 9 of 29 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard