Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 29 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 28 29
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Ixal
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Jaheira is by default a druid/sorcerer and thus will benefit from it. .

Why would she be a Druid Sorcerer? She's always been a Fighter Druid.
Because Larian.

Yeah, that's funny, but is this confirmed? I seriously doubt this. She was portrayed with twin scimitars on her back. No Druid/Sorcerer would equip twin Scimitars.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Originally Posted by Beechams
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
If you are looking for something more challenging, then you should play the other difficulties.
Why? Just because you said so? Who are you to tell anyone how they should play their game?

... Is this a serious question?

My statement is the game is easier on easy mode. It is harder on hard mode.

It isn't that way because I said so. It is that way because that is just how it is. I'm not sure if you are familiar with difficulty settings in video games - but that is how they work. I said the game isn't being "Gatekept" because there is a difficulty mode that will let just about anyone pick it up and beat it.
Yes it is a serious question because your original statement said that these changes should be relegated to Story Mode and anyone who wanted these changes should only be allowed to play in that mode.

Yes I know how difficulty levels work in video games so I know that they do not all work in exactly the same way, e.g. hard mode in one game is not exactly the same as hard mode in the another. Some games, such as Solasta, have set difficulty levels while also allowing the player to tweak various elements to get things how one wants.

One does not 'beat' a game, one completes it. It is designed to allow you to complete it, not to stop you completing it. From what you just wrote it would appear that some 'newbie' 'beating' the game on the same difficulty as you is an affront to your masculinity or self-esteem.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
To spend a lot of money on a game, you have to make a game people will want to play. Not the 0.2% of people who play DnD. The 2 billion people who play video games. What about this is hard to understand?
More than anything?
The direct correlation between the features announced and this alleged explosion in popularity for the game.
In order to get the sales (to recoup outlay and make a profit) Larian have to appeal to the largest number of people and in order to do this everything has to be made as simple as possible (dumbed-down).

I counter you with the Souls games, that are notoriously hard and unforgiving and don't coddle you in any form, yet people flog to them like moths to the light, so much so, they became their own genre.
You don't have to dumb down games to be successful, just make them engaging. And it's not like DnD is a niche product anymore, everyone knows about DnD nowadays thanks to media, so that should bring in the customers.
I understand the need for tweaking some rules to make it work better in a videogames, but there was nothing wrong with multiclassing according to RAW, you could still make very powerful characters and it is not hard. No need to dumb that down.

Last edited by fylimar; 11/07/23 11:59 AM.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
S
old hand
old hand
S
Yeah... this incredibly dumbed down multiclassing is not necessary. The existing story mode and free full resets are all Larian needs to offer to handle players unfamiliar with the rules

B
old hand
old hand
B
Jaheira is by default a druid/sorcerer and thus will benefit from it. .

Why would she be a Druid Sorcerer? She's always been a Fighter Druid.
Because Larian.

Yeah, that's funny, but is this confirmed? I seriously doubt this. She was portrayed with twin scimitars on her back. No Druid/Sorcerer would equip twin Scimitars.
Was it something to do with the spell she cast? Or was it datamined?
I was wondering how a druid/sorcerer would work stats-wise. Not exactly an intuitive dual-class pairing.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Originally Posted by Potatoo
I wonder what have they done to ASI/feats increases when you multiclass? Maybe the same thing has happened here, we eill probably get ASI/feat like every fourth level regardless how we multiclass.

This is very likely, because otherwise it can actually be puzzling to the new players. I mean, if Larian could make good and engaging tutorials, this could be left untouched, but their tutorials are average at best and only scratch the surface of the game systems.

Sven did say that they changed the rules regarding multiclass because they wanted to make it more appealing to new players who never played DnD or know anything about multiclass. I'm one of those people, so if a game makes it easy for me to understand then I welcome that.

Multiclassing in 5E isn't rocket science, there's absolutely no reason to make it easier.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Originally Posted by neprostoman
I wonder what have they done to ASI/feats increases when you multiclass? Maybe the same thing has happened here, we eill probably get ASI/feat like every fourth level regardless how we multiclass.

This is very likely, because otherwise it can actually be puzzling to the new players. I mean, if Larian could make good and engaging tutorials, this could be left untouched, but their tutorials are average at best and only scratch the surface of the game systems.

Sven did say that they changed the rules regarding multiclass because they wanted to make it more appealing to new players who never played DnD or know anything about multiclass. I'm one of those people, so if a game makes it easy for me to understand then I welcome that.

Multiclassing in 5E isn't rocket science, there's absolutely no reason to make it easier.

Even if it isn't rocket science, I believe they are doing this for those that never played a DnD game before.

veteran
veteran
We are living in times when attention span is 10 seconds. I can totally see how people could just avoid multiclassing for being 'too complex'.

S
old hand
old hand
S
With all due respect, it's not logically easier that one (1) level wizard and 8 levels of a half caster give you every level 5 wizard spell.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
But this change isn't making multiclassing "easier to understand", especially since there was hardly anything cryptic about it.
This is just making multi-classing more powerful, which is questionable in terms of fairness, since they apparently plan to remove most of the opportunity costs that came with it.

Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Well I read the 5e PHB and studied hours every day reading articles on internet just for that I know how to multiclass properly. All that was for nothing, LOL.
Wasting time on nerdy pnp rpg to play a videogame shouldn't be a thing
Speaking of "gatekeeping" that really shouldn't be for you to decide.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
To spend a lot of money on a game, you have to make a game people will want to play. Not the 0.2% of people who play DnD. The 2 billion people who play video games. What about this is hard to understand?
More than anything?
The direct correlation between the features announced and this alleged explosion in popularity for the game.
In order to get the sales (to recoup outlay and make a profit) Larian have to appeal to the largest number of people and in order to do this everything has to be made as simple as possible (dumbed-down).

I counter you with the Souls games, that are notoriously hard and unforgiving and don't coddle you in any form, yet people flog to them like moths to the light, so much so, they became their own genre.
You don't have to dumb down games to be successful, just make them engaging. And it's not like DnD is a niche product anymore, everyone knows about DnD nowadays thanks to media, so that should bring in the customers.
I understand the need for tweaking some rules to make it work better in a videogames, but there was nothing wrong with multiclassing according to RAW, you could still make very powerful characters and it is not hard. No need to dumb that down.

Souls-like games have next to no story or plot; next to no dialogue; next to no companions; next to no settlements with any sort of community; next to no NPCs; next to no lore; and no real tactics other than working out the moves of each opponent which are the same every time you meet that particular creature. They are dumbed-down to just being fighting every 100 metres. They are a niche market within gaming and many, if not most, are not big budget AAA titles.

Last edited by Beechams; 11/07/23 12:17 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Yes it is a serious question because your original statement said that these changes should be relegated to Story Mode and anyone who wanted these changes should only be allowed to play in that mode.

Yes I know how difficulty levels work in video games so I know that they do not all work in exactly the same way, e.g. hard mode in one game is not exactly the same as hard mode in the another. Some games, such as Solasta, have set difficulty levels while also allowing the player to tweak various elements to get things how one wants.

First of all - I did not say that they should only be 'allowed' to play in story mode. I'm not the video game police running around telling people what they can and cannot do. I said people cannot be labeled as gatekeepers when a game already has a mode that makes it super accessible to everyone and that no one is criticizing that modes existence in the game. I do not think that unlimited respec should be available in the regular game mode or in tactician in this game - if it is there should be a cost associated with it that aligns with the difficulty setting. That doesn't mean people are not "allowed to play in those game modes".

One does not 'beat' a game, one completes it. It is designed to allow you to complete it, not to stop you completing it. From what you just wrote it would appear that some 'newbie' 'beating' the game on the same difficulty as you is an affront to your masculinity or self-esteem.

This is an incredibly odd thing to say and it seems you are rather upset about something. First you think I am saying people are not ALLOWED to play certain difficulty modes and now you are trying to turn me into some person who puts all of their self worth in video games because I have an opinion on how respec should be handled. You can use the term beat the game, finish the game, complete the game or whatever else you want. It doesn't matter to me how you describe it. Nor do I tie up my self-worth in video games.

I personally played on the regular difficulty setting in DOS2 and a modded version with added some health to the regular version because I didn't find tactician to be appealing - because the crowd control mechanics got to be a bit much for me. I guess I don't see how that makes me any better or worse of a person, any more of less of a man than someone who spends way less time playing games and played easy mode or who enjoyed tactician and beat it.

I think free respec for higher difficulty levels is a bad idea and bad game design, especially in the hardest difficulty as it seems difficult to balance and hard difficulty settings tend to encourage min/max. I think changing an already pretty easy system in multi-classing to the point where it might be just flat out better than not to be bad game design (if that is really what ends up happening, Larian could have implemented this well, we haven't seen the finished product yet). I also think it doesn't make sense to let us completely recreate origin characters when some of their backstories are completely tied to their class, where as some other companions/characters it does make sense for them to be more flexible.

If you think that means I have low self-esteem or that I believe my masculinity is being questioned then I think it is more a problem with you than with me.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by fylimar

This is also why I brought up difficulty settings. Not every game has to be a Souls-like, but there are people who like a difficult experience. There are also people who enjoy just playing through for the story. There are going to be people who want to play through without the ability to respec... or when their character dies, they stay dead - it is why things like 'hardcore' mode got so popular in Diablo 2.

For all of the talk of choice the champions of choice sure do want to remove the choice from everyone else to have game modes or an experience tailored more toward difficulty and traditional 5e rulesets.

Last edited by Lake Plisko; 11/07/23 12:20 PM.
addict
addict
I see what you mean in terms of power. I think an issue that might present itself with new players that have never played DnD is the mixing of two classes. Such as a Ranger/Druid where they are very similar in regards to nature but one is more magic based than the other. That might be confusing to some, as to say why not just be a full Ranger or a full Druid.

veteran
veteran
Firstly, I agree that you shouldn't need to research D&D to be able to jump into BG3. And you currently don't. I didn't, and I've been playinn EA with only... 2 or 3 sessions of D&D under my belt.

Now onto the important part, I still firmly believe that what Larian is doing isn't "making multiclassing easier for newbies." Respeccing does that, and I'm fine with respeccing at least to level one. No, what Larian is doing seems very obvious to me as trying to make sure players do all sorts of crazy combinations of multi-class because that's their idea of fun. With the items they're throwing around and whatnot. Think about it, if you're new to the game and D&D, you're not going to find most of those items they're talking about sprinkling around. So if a newbie tries to multiclass, isn't it more likely they're going to walk into a bad build ratherthan less, in that case? I'd argue that the 13 attribute restriction is probably more a help than a hindrance, because it makes sure a newbie isn'g going into a multi-class woefully unprepared for what they need.

old hand
old hand
Look, are any of these workings confirmed? Becasue the way this topic reads is as if I can be a Cleric 1 /wizard 1/ warlock 1/ paladin 2 / ranger 2 / Arcane Trickster 3 / Druid 1/ Sorcerer 1 and effectively be a Cleric 12 / Wizard 12 / Warlock 12 / Paladin 12 / Ranger 12 / Trickster 12 / Druid 12 / Sorcerer 12, ast least where spellcasting is concerned.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
S
old hand
old hand
S
The full caster classes are bard, cleric, druid, sorcerer, and wizard.

Under this ruling, you can be a bard-cleric-druid-sorcerer-wizard with no additional cost. The only question is what buffs to spells you want and what it means for your casting stat

If you pick a half caster, it only counts as half a level of wizard, cleric, etc.

T
T
If this was a custom option, you wanna engage in the circus mode. Click the checkbox be happy with it.
But making it core even for Tactician? Makes zero sense and just makes the game designer looks lazy, I understand that 5e has serious issues regarding character identity and customization, but this is due to some factors.

Feat selection and progression.
Class choices and interactions
Weapon interaction and maneuvers (Larian fixed this thankfully by adding maneuvers)

The optimal way would had been homebrew new feats for BG3 and add 3.5 feat progression.

1st
3rd
6th
9th
12th

Basically you would have more interesting ways to define your character build without resorting to lets make pure classes useless. Because with this Multiclass no restriction you need to be a sucker to go pure class.

Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox
Well I read the 5e PHB and studied hours every day reading articles on internet just for that I know how to multiclass properly. All that was for nothing, LOL.
Wasting time on nerdy pnp rpg to play a videogame shouldn't be a thing
You say that about a game that was advertised as authentic experience to said pnp RPG.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Souls-like games have next to no story or plot; next to no dialogue; next to no companions; next to no settlements with any sort of community; next to no NPCs; next to no lore; and no real tactics other than working out the moves of each opponent which are the same every time you meet that particular creature. They are dumbed-down to just being fighting every 100 metres. They are a niche market within gaming and many, if not most, are not big budget AAA titles.
Not a single word of this is of ANY relevance to the point she was making.

What you are missing on the other hand is that they are very popular and commercially successful games, despise hardly compromising on their defining "lack of hand-holding".
Not only they climbed up to sales numbers that Larian would probably be ECSTATIC to replicate (Elden Ring being above 20 millions, most of the previous Souls ranging to the 5 millions or so each on average), they can also boost a surprisingly high completion rate among players, with a percentage of roughly 40%.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Page 13 of 29 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard