Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 29 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 28 29
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lake Plisko
Originally Posted by fylimar
I counter you with the Souls games, that are notoriously hard and unforgiving and don't coddle you in any form, yet people flog to them like moths to the light, so much so, they became their own genre.
You don't have to dumb down games to be successful, just make them engaging. And it's not like DnD is a niche product anymore, everyone knows about DnD nowadays thanks to media, so that should bring in the customers.
I understand the need for tweaking some rules to make it work better in a videogames, but there was nothing wrong with multiclassing according to RAW, you could still make very powerful characters and it is not hard. No need to dumb that down.

This is also why I brought up difficulty settings. Not every game has to be a Souls-like, but there are people who like a difficult experience. There are also people who enjoy just playing through for the story. There are going to be people who want to play through without the ability to respect... or when their character dies, they stay dead - it is why things like 'hardcore' mode got so popular in Diablo 2.

For all of the talk of choice the champions of choice sure do want to remove the choice from everyone else to have game modes or an experience tailored more toward difficulty and traditional 5e rulesets.

Thats exactly why it is so important to make sure that your subsystems i.e. story/gameplay/visuals/worldbuilding/level design etc. compliment each other and always double check on each other for being a cohesive system as a whole. For example allowing you to change your companions to the point of making them the exact opposite of what they are (making SH a Githyanki Selunite Life Domain cleric for example) is good for the gameplay but bad for the story and overall results into an average if not bad system in general. Also allowing anyone to multiclass with no ability requirements is in some aspects good for gameplay but bad for world building, because it contradicts with how world presents different classes as someone with at least a portion of experience in their field of expertise. And so on.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Beechams
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Yeah, that's funny, but is this confirmed? I seriously doubt this. She was portrayed with twin scimitars on her back. No Druid/Sorcerer would equip twin Scimitars.
Was it something to do with the spell she cast? Or was it datamined?
I was wondering how a druid/sorcerer would work stats-wise. Not exactly an intuitive dual-class pairing.

It's not confirmed that she is a druid/sorcerer by default, in one of the clips they showed she was in the party as a level 9 druid/sorcerer multiclass but chances are they just chose to build her like that when leveling up, my guess is that she is just a druid by default.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Souls-like games have next to no story or plot; next to no dialogue; next to no companions; next to no settlements with any sort of community; next to no NPCs; next to no lore; and no real tactics other than working out the moves of each opponent which are the same every time you meet that particular creature. They are dumbed-down to just being fighting every 100 metres. They are a niche market within gaming and many, if not most, are not big budget AAA titles.
Not a single word of this is of ANY relevance to the point she was making.

What you are missing on the other hand is that they are very popular and commercially successful games, despise hardly compromising on their defining "lack of hand-holding".
Not only they climbed up to sales numbers that Larian would probably be ECSTATIC to replicate (Elden Ring being above 20 millions, most of the previous Souls ranging to the 5 millions or so each on average), they can also boost a surprisingly high completion rate among players, with a percentage of roughly 40%.

Exactly, but I think, that user doesn't want to acknowledge the point, I was trying to make here.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Yep, had they been smart they would have tied this to difficulty settings where easy/story mode allows you to go full clown mode and re-spec to your hearts content. Tying this to every difficulty level means that for players looking for a challenge they are by design required to engage with the systems, in particular being forced to multiclass if they are going to objectively make that choice better than pure class.

People going against this in the name of choice are ironically limiting choice themselves.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Some people would have all restrictions gone, and ask us to do "staff only" runs if we want a challenge. Bonk! Bonk! Bonk! All hail the wooden stick! I'm feeling so free right now under this artificial self limitation that requires me to neurotically check if every staff is 100% wood.

C
C
In order to get the sales (to recoup outlay and make a profit) Larian have to appeal to the largest number of people and in order to do this everything has to be made as simple as possible (dumbed-down).

Yeah, this is a platitude that gets repeated over and over for years at this point.
But despise the attempt to make it sound like a wise assessment, it doesn't actually answer the question: how many additional copies would you guess these changes will move, if you had to quantify?

Originally Posted by Sansang2
In your opinion.
Exactly.

Clearly very little. You answered it well before you edited your reply. It'll be the other stuff. So, firstly these changes will have minimum effect on sales. Currently steam spy has BG£ at between 2-5 million, up from 2-3 million. It'll be a big seller. You seem to think the optional rules will be a turn off though. I disagree. And I can point to the other forum of committed BG3 fans, reddit, and say the subject hasn't even made a splash there. Normies will give even less of a shit imo.

The people annoyed at these options tend to see a game system as a whole and if something is added that they see is holistically to the detriment of the system even if optional, they think it as bad choice by the devs. Most of the time here it boils down to how far they stray from 5e. Not just 5e mind you, PHB because they tend to disagree with Tasha's which is a core part of it now. It's a fair opinion, nobody can say someone is wrong for feeling that way. Saying just don't use them is not understanding why they don't like it and really isn't a valid counter argument. But it is only an opinion and no-one is speaking from authority, even if they obviously have convinced themselves otherwise.

The people who think different think it's all about choice. And that what Larian do too as Swen went into a lot of detail explaining, that it is their goal for a successful experience. But honestly for games like this, or even ones with light rpg elements, this is in fact one of the core design philosophies of a lot of developers. That's not an opinion, it's a fact you can tell from playing them and it is confirmed by interviews and youtube videos they make. Highly dependent on publisher, budget and technical issues, but it is very high on the design philosophy. Larian being Larian push the goofiness and cheese, but that is again a matter of taste only.

The existence of difficulty sliders and story mode even shows how the holistic approach just isn't as high up as people think. BG 1 and 2 changed the core mechanics of the rules and BG2 normal (default) difficulty was with party damage from spells removed. You had to actually change it to core if you wanted the proper rules. Even Elden Ring has a robust summoning system which most of it's hardcore players think goes beyond easy mode and borders on cheating.

I know a bit about DnD and all I care about is can I get it as close to it as I can. I'll ignore the cheese, exploits and optional rules. The only rule I'm worried about is the multiclass spells one, which I hope will be made optional. I think it's fair if some people think differently, But to be honest I think BG3 is going to be a bitter sweet experience for them, maybe not even sweet. Most of us are gonna have a ball for the most part. There's always the chance of patches, but I just don't think enough people care about an option that can be ignored and I don't think they'll make major changes before the Xbox/playstation crowd arrive.

journeyman
journeyman
If your game requires players to police themselves for balance that does not speak well for the quality of your work.

Solasta D&Does what BG3 D&Doesn't.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
Clearly very little. You answered it well before you edited your reply.
...but I didn't edit anything out of my reply? You are probably confusing it with some OTHER reply I wrote.

You seem to think the optional rules will be a turn off though. I disagree. And I can point to the other forum of committed BG3 fans, reddit, and say the subject hasn't even made a splash there. Normies will give even less of a shit imo.
...Nope?
I wasn't even remotely arguing sales until other people came up with the BULLSHIT excuse that "these changes are necessary to access a bigger audience", Which I THEN argued against.
I was arguing that these changes are a turn-off for me *quality-wise*.
You are probably making some confusion here.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Doomdrake
If your game requires players to police themselves for balance that does not speak well for the quality of your work.
Most games are like that.....

Exploiting and breaking games is its own subset of gamer culture look at all the speed runners and the like.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

Exploiting and breaking games is its own subset of gamer culture look at all the speed runners and the like.

You are confusing glitches and exploits with balance, no?

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

Probably the best way to put it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Elessaria666
You have apparently missed the last decade of trends in game popularity.

Do the games make the developers more money. 100%.

I'm not seeing actual data backing the claim, incidentally.
Well we can start with Divinity: Original Sin 2 outselling Wrath of the Righteous, Kingmakers and Crown of the Magister combined on Steam by double the units and 3x revenue and still having more active players than all of those games combined despite being several years older...

Last edited by Elessaria666; 11/07/23 01:48 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Eeh... this isn't always true. I know plenty of games where you have access to overpowered things quite easily but it is way more fun to do the same thing in a creative way.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire

You are confusing glitches and exploits with balance, no?
Not necessarily. Take souls like games for example were character builds are all built around exploiting npcs the most you can.

Or thr Skyren stealth archer which let you wash mode most combats of the game.

C
C
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
Clearly very little. You answered it well before you edited your reply.
...but I didn't edit anything out of my reply? You are probably confusing it with some OTHER reply I wrote.

You seem to think the optional rules will be a turn off though. I disagree. And I can point to the other forum of committed BG3 fans, reddit, and say the subject hasn't even made a splash there. Normies will give even less of a shit imo.
...Nope?
I wasn't even remotely arguing sales until other people came up with the BULLSHIT excuse that "these changes are necessary to access a bigger audience", Which I THEN argued against.
I was arguing that these changes are a turn-off for me *quality-wise*.
You are probably making some confusion here.

I know mate I was agreeing with you. That's why I quoted your reply.

The other bit you were right was in response to a previous post:
" Stuff that the OVERWHELMING majority of the "casual buyers" won't even be aware exists until 20-30 hours into their playthrough IF the devs are lucky and the players will remain engaged enough."

Maybe I read a bit more into the last bit as it seemed to me you were suggesting the changes might have an issue. Maybe you weren't though, no harm done

You have apparently missed the last decade of trends in game popularity.

Do the games make the developers more money. 100%.

I'm not seeing actual data backing the claim, incidentally.
Well we can start with Divinity: Original Sin 2 outselling Wrath of the Righteous, Kingmakers and Crown of the Magister combined on Steam by double the units and 3x revenue and still having more active players than all of those games combined despite being several years older...
Still I prefer WOTR over DOS2

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
No, we can't, because the comparison doesn't hold up even just on a superficial level.

These are games with VASTLY different budget and production value, which lines up with what I was stating about what actually drives sales.

You could probably fund the entirety of "Solasta 2: the Biggest and Massively Improved Sequel" on the budget Larian spent on their BG3 cinematic intro alone.

Last edited by Tuco; 11/07/23 02:02 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
W
veteran
veteran
W

Have you by any chance ever heard of a little game called Dungeons & Dragons?

journeyman
journeyman

It's not as simple as that statement makes it out to be, most games will require at least some extent of self-limitations in order to achieve the level of balance one may desire, which might also not be the same for everyone. Game balance is to an extent an objetive matter, but also has a subjective component, and the lines that divide these parts aren't as easily drawn as you might think.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's one of the first things you're hit with in the original BG games. Do you believe that most players stick to the first roll they get? No, most players will keep rolling until they get something they're satisfied with, and those numbers will change from player to player.

Of these changes the only one that seems worrying is how they'll tweak spell slots when multiclassing, but we have absolutely no information of the severity of the changes and many people here just seem to be assuming the worst.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Thats exactly why it is so important to make sure that your subsystems i.e. story/gameplay/visuals/worldbuilding/level design etc. compliment each other and always double check on each other for being a cohesive system as a whole. For example allowing you to change your companions to the point of making them the exact opposite of what they are (making SH a Githyanki Selunite Life Domain cleric for example) is good for the gameplay but bad for the story and overall results into an average if not bad system in general. Also allowing anyone to multiclass with no ability requirements is in some aspects good for gameplay but bad for world building, because it contradicts with how world presents different classes as someone with at least a portion of experience in their field of expertise. And so on.

I've watched a ton of videos and read community polls regarding 5e, and from what I can tell, druids and wizards are the only classes that work really well as single class. Multi-classing isn't optional if you are min-maxing.

Do the BG3 changes make it far less punishing for spellcasters? Yep. But let's not pretend like this isn't how 5e is currently built, regardless of WoTC original intent or your personal experience. The way so many classes are front loaded makes dipping the best option for a majority of builds (many caster builds can do it without costing spell slots and only pushing back spell progression a bit).

As far as constructive criticism goes, maybe we can make suggestions on what would work to make you, Tuco, and others feel like they are getting what they paid for.

Would a "Core rules" difficulty setting or toggle be sufficient to assuage your concerns?

Last edited by benbaxter; 11/07/23 02:15 PM.

Back from timeout.
Page 14 of 29 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard