Page 1 of 2 1 2
#858165 10/07/23 07:10 AM
B
Buba68 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
After watching the Karlach/Dragonborn date scene my first thought was that there should be no romance for the lizards, unless with other lizards.
Even the Gityanki are too alien for them.

Volunteer Moderator
Online Content
Volunteer Moderator
That's clearly a choice that we can make for our own dragonborn characters if we wish, but personally I'm glad the game gives players the flexibility to make up their own minds on this front.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Buba68
After watching the Karlach/Dragonborn date scene my first thought was that there should be no romance for the lizards, unless with other lizards.

Like the Moderator said. That Dragonborn is the player character, basically it's you. No matter what race you choose for your character, you'll be able to romance anyone of your companions.

S
old hand
old hand
S
I don't think dragonborn players will appreciate being locked out of a feature of the game

addict
addict

Would it be okay for a druid dragonborn to turn into a monitor lizard and have a romance?

I need this forum to guide my morality and let me know what combinations of adult sentient beings are allowed to have interracial romances.

Back from timeout.
B
Buba68 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Silver/
I don't think dragonborn players will appreciate being locked out of a feature of the game
Their problem - nobody forced them to pick that Race.

addict
addict

Is this a Poe's law situation?

Back from timeout.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Hopefully, because "let's base a feature on what the users of said feature will actively not desire" is, uh. Creative game design. There's enough furries and monsterfuckers who would go for a lizard. Hell, I'm not a furry, but I liked Garrus, so who knows. There's just no coming back from that. Might as well be lizard-flexible.

veteran
veteran
As someone who wanted to play a white dragonborn when the game comes out, I can say that the scene with Karlach made me think twice.

I don't think the option should be taken out of the game. I don't understand that.

But that aside, just talking about me, I started thinking how it didn't look like a dragonborn could kiss. Not really. And that's no slight on the dragonborn design! Quite the opposite. The design looked so good that I felt off when I saw the kiss. It made me realize, on a roleplaying level, that I don't think I'd feel the same way about kissing and romance. And if that's going to be an important part of my story through the game, then maybe I'd better play something else first.

addict
addict
Githyanki lay eggs, so they might be closer to Dragonborn than they are to humans or elves.

veteran
veteran
Interesting to see folks proudly coming out of the woodwork to declare that their understanding of romance and intimacy is predicated absolutely on the physical body and its supposed compatibility.

Dragonborn likely don't kiss in the same way that fleshy-lipped folks do, that's true enough - does that mean they don't express intimate face-to-face affection? Not at all. It would be nice if Larian accounted for this; there are many, many ways to express close-face intimacy without lip-to-lip kissing, some of which are arguably more intimate than kissing is anyway. Just like I hope they've adjusted and accounted for the differences in physical intimacy with small-race characters, I'd really like it if they accounted for differences in intimate expression for dargonborn and others who would naturally express this differently. This goes for the rest of the physical form as well; there are countless ways to express love and intimacy that do not require species-and-sex-matched genitalia, and trying to suggest some characters should be locked out of romance and intimacy because their body isn't a sexual jigsaw match to someone else really just kind of outs the speaker as an absolute caveman who really needs to do some self-reflection rather than trying to make their bigotry everyone else's problem.

B
Buba68 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
Githyanki lay eggs, so they might be closer to Dragonborn than they are to humans or elves.
True. This makes "romance" between humanoid mammals and Gityanki just as stupid as between Dragonborn and humanoid mammals. Maybe - both being oviparous - they are culturally compatible.
However, even if butt ass ugly, the Gityanki look more humanoid and are thus less jarring on a visual level hence e.g. Gale smooching Lae'zeal brings down the "this cannot work" alarm bells .

Last edited by Buba68; 11/07/23 05:55 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by SaurianDruid
True. This makes "romance" between humanoid mammals and Gityanki just as stupid as between Dragonborn and humanoid mammals. Maybe - both being oviparous - they are culturally compatible.
However, even if butt ass ugly, the Gityanki look more humanoid and are thus less jarring on a visual level hence e.g. Gale smooching Lae'zeal brings down the "this cannot work" alarm bells .
Why do you bring down romance to reproduction?

veteran
veteran
It is really not their problem, since dragonborn romances are in. It is your problem, because that will not change 🤷

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
So ... dont.
Problem solved.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict

I honestly don't see a big deal in having differences races as romances. This isn't new in fantasy game settings. ESO does this and Larian has also done it when Divinity Original Sin 2.

P
addict
addict
P
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Buba68 Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Reply to the post above - we are real men, we get ass raped by bears.

Last edited by Buba68; 11/07/23 02:16 PM.
veteran
veteran
Hey, it was clearly all entirely consensual between the vampire and the druid.

P
addict
addict
P
Your ignorance of one of the oldest BG3 romance controversies aside...

It's fine if you don't want to play a dragonborn, or romance a dragonborn in your game, that's your choice, but trying to argue that no one should because of your personal feelings about inter-species couples in a fantasy role-playing game is pure arrogance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard