Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 29 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 28 29
journeyman
journeyman
I'm more concerned about every random-ass hobo goblin having grenades and exploding arrows. Concentration is going to be a dead mechanic.

And if the enemies keep hopping around the battlefield like they did in early access .... urgh!

Solasta D&Does what BG3 D&Doesn't.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Being able to respec your character is now so common in RPGs it would actually seem weird to many people if it wasn’t there, there would certainly be a lot of demand for it. Not sure whether there’s a cost to dissuade people from doing it all the time, which is pretty normal.

Respecing the companions to a different class could cause issues with the story and interactions. Presumably it’s some added flexibility for people who want to play with particular compositions but don’t just want a bunch of mute mercs in their party. So if you’re happy for the game to treat Gale like a mage for the story, but play him as a paladin or something in combat then that would be a option. If that’s going to bother you, best stick with defaults.

The multi-class thing could be more of an issue if it makes them too OP. Hope they don’t screw it ip.

journeyman
journeyman
Let's be honest, the reported changes to multiclassing would go a long way towards changing the game back to the classless system we know Larian prefers. And while yes the game is SP, this isn't really a homebrew you can abstain from without abstaining from multiclassing entirely. Honestly, that's not a big deal for me, but what about those who like multiclassing yet do not want to be cheezily overpowered?

This is not rule of cool. This is a calculated move to bring gameplay back to DOS, whether they just believe it's more fun this way, or to lean into DOS fans.

veteran
veteran
Is this a generation thing? Are players so entitled these days that they need to have unlimited free respecs and the ability to turn Gale into a Rogue because they want? Dump Intelligence completely and still multiclass into an Intelligence class? Get some readily available magic gear that fixes everything? I.e. do whatever you want. Why? Where is this coming from? Games have rules and the rules are what make a game. Without sensible rules being enforced it's just lame sandbox play that never feels rewarding since you don't actually have to even learn the rules.

Larian are taking this "power to the player" stuff way too far. To the point where it actually hurts the game, with or without the player realizing it.

Multiclassing in 5e is far from perfect. But WotC have to fix that, not Larian. All their rules changes in BG3 so far have made D&D a worse game. And the Divinity game system is pretty garbage, being the obvious reference here for what "works" in a video game. It doesn't. They will probably change multiclassing into something where everyone basically gets "fun spells for free". A Divinity like mess where every character is basically a spellcaster to some degree and class identity does not exist. Much like with the scroll use that has remained free for all for years now. There's a reason why multiclassing has ability score requirements in D&D. The restrictions aren't even strict but they give structure and strengthen class identity. Being a Wizard or Sorcerer is fun because not literally everyone can claim to be one, or even be encouraged to be one by the system design. This is something Larian will never understand, based on the Divinity system which is as lame as it gets.

Someone's personal preference of a classless game system is being pushed really hard into D&D and it's not acceptable.

Last edited by 1varangian; 11/07/23 07:20 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Dulany67
Let's be honest, the reported changes to multiclassing would go a long way towards changing the game back to the classless system we know Larian prefers. And while yes the game is SP, this isn't really a homebrew you can abstain from without abstaining from multiclassing entirely. Honestly, that's not a big deal for me, but what about those who like multiclassing yet do not want to be cheezily overpowered?

This is not rule of cool. This is a calculated move to bring gameplay back to DOS, whether they just believe it's more fun this way, or to lean into DOS fans.

seems pretty sneaky to just put it in in the end with out even mentioning it in the last panel from hell.

wonder if they new it would cause some backlash so tried to keep it quiet

Originally Posted by Ranxerox
Can we now expect multiclass enemies with these new OP abilities? Try ignoring that.

Enemies don't use PC rules to be written in 5e. You could already meet a caster who cast heal wounds, Eldritch blast and thorn whip in 5e, and there would be nothing strange about it.

Last edited by Sansang2; 11/07/23 07:17 PM.

... because it's fun!
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Doomdrake
I'm more concerned about every random-ass hobo goblin having grenades and exploding arrows. Concentration is going to be a dead mechanic.

And if the enemies keep hopping around the battlefield like they did in early access .... urgh!

LOL right!!

EA at the start sucked. Acid baths and flaming arrows up the Kazoo

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
veteran
veteran
Also.. If respeccing everything will be so damn convenient and inconsequential, what's the harm in keeping the multiclass stat restrictions, then? Just respec more charisma for your PC if you want to multiclass into Sorcerer.

So the real agenda here is to allow players to multiclass into whatever on a whim and then provide a handy Item of Ability Score that bumps your Charisma from 8 to 18. Anyone can be anything, at any time.

Nonsensical powergaming multiclasses and "build" items ftw? D&D this is not. This has more implications to completely undermine the D&D class system and character building than it seems at first. Someone at Larian simply can't let go of their awesome Divinity system that apparently is not only better than any other game out there, but also the only option. Anything else will be forcefully assimilated.

Last edited by 1varangian; 11/07/23 07:33 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Originally Posted by Dulany67

seems pretty sneaky to just put it in in the end with out even mentioning it in the last panel from hell.

wonder if they new it would cause some backlash so tried to keep it quiet
Well, let me ask you this: do you have any doubt that they knew the reaction that would come from the bear scene- including the major sales that resulted over the last 3 days?

I like Larian a lot, but they aren't an indy any more.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Silver/
I absolutely fear so. I heard from people playing the early full access that the combat gets way harder. Now, that *is* hearsay, but it does not inspire confidence. Either we may need it to keep up, the enemies have it, or both.

Oof, I hope not. If they don't actually expect you to hit level 12 with any class, that's really disappointing.

N
old hand
old hand
N

God's forbid and extra organized and better equipped group of goblins act extra organized and better equipped

enthusiast
enthusiast
Why make it a DnD game if they want a classless system. A meme that this is just DOS3 is alive, lol.

But I’m sure we are misinterpreting something. If a lvl 4 fighter takes 1 lvl of sorcerer and can cast a fireball… then 1 lvl of sorcerer is still enough to get chain lightning and disintegrate as fighter 11 / sorcerer 1? Lol 😂

Last edited by ladydub; 11/07/23 08:52 PM.
S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by ladydub
Why make it a DnD game if they want a classless system. A meme that this is just DOS3 is alive, lol.

But I’m sure we are misinterpreting something. If a lvl 4 fighter takes 1 lvl of sorcerer and can cast a fireball… then 1 lvl of sorcerer is still enough to get chain lightning and disintegrate as fighter 11 / sorcerer 1? Lol 😂

Caster classes count as a full level, half casters as a half level, fighters for 0 levels. So, you need a level 8 paladin with one level in sorcerer to cast level 5 sorcery. You need a fighter with 5 levels in wizard for fireball.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
These changes won't entice a single buy. A 'casusl' won't be paying attention....

Now bear sex... that'll get some animal lovers maybe.

But, 'free mutli classing'? 'Respec'?

I don't know of too many people who decide to buy a game based on the existence if respec. Lol

Casuals won't even know what the 'free multi classing' even means. laugh

The problem with Larian is they dont care or like dnd, bg, ir those fantasies. Thry also take them for granted because we're suckered fir the logo.

I enjoy Larian games, and I'm sure this game will be fun, but anyone expecting this to be a legit dnd/bg3 experience weren't listening.

It'll be fun but it'll fun in the DOS style, not dnd style. smile

Last edited by Volourn; 12/07/23 04:44 AM.
Originally Posted by Volourn
These changes won't entice a single buy. A 'casusl' won't be paying attention....

Now bear sex... that'll get some animal lovers maybe.

But, 'free mutli classing'? 'Respec'?

I don't know of too many people who decide to buy a game based on the existence if respec. Lol

The problem with Larian is they font care or like dnd, bg, ir those fantasies. Thry also take them fir granted because we're suckered fir the logo.

I enjoy Laruian games, abd I'm sure thus game will be fun, but snyone expecting this to be a legit dnd/bg3 experience weren't listening.

It'll be fun but it'll fun in the DOS style, not dnd style. smile
Would be sad if they did get people into D&D, but the way they handle the rules will give more casual audience false perception of it and will turn them away when they will see how they REALLY streamlined it.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

Oh yeah, can't really say I was particularly thrilled when during the Panel From Hell the combat designer commenting on Tactician Mode kept talking about "Adding a grenade to a Bugbear, giving an explosive arrow to a goblin, putting an explosive barrel here and there..."

At some point I remember blurting out "Jesus Christ, is making things EXPLODE the only way this guy knows to add challenge to an encounter?"

Last edited by Tuco; 11/07/23 09:53 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Volourn

I'm not sure that's how it works. You're correct that "free multiclassing" means nothing to them as a phrase, but it does mean something as a play experience.

Free multiclassing: "this game is so fun! There are all kinds of neat, crazy things I can try!"

Correct multiclassing: "this game is really complicated, how am I supposed to understand what I can and can't do?"

Those of us that always know where our PHB is, and where it is is usually close at hand, we're not the primary target market here. They're trying to get people who aren't usually into RPGs to try this.

I might hate the rule change, and I know a lot of people will disagree with this, but I think these stupid rule changes are good for gaming in general. The more that RPGs are mainstream, the better. At least in my opinion.

I hate these rule changes, but I think they're still good. The game is less about crafting the perfect build in the traditional way; it's clearly meant to be more about story than about combat.

I know others hate that, but I don't.

Last edited by colinl8; 11/07/23 09:55 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tuco
..... is making things EXPLODE the only way this guy knows to add challenge to an encounter?"

Yes

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Is this a generation thing? Are players so entitled these days that they need to have unlimited free respecs and the ability to turn Gale into a Rogue because they want? Dump Intelligence completely and still multiclass into an Intelligence class? Get some readily available magic gear that fixes everything? I.e. do whatever you want. Why? Where is this coming from? Games have rules and the rules are what make a game. Without sensible rules being enforced it's just lame sandbox play that never feels rewarding since you don't actually have to even learn the rules.

Maybe it is a generational thing. I could never have imagined video games could come this far when I first played on an Atari 2600 or the early arcade cabinets.

Early access is good and I’m looking forward to full release. There’s maybe some choices I’d have made differently if I was in charge, but I’m not. So I’ll just play and enjoy the game they’ve made (probably not using the the respec). I guess that makes me entitled?

old hand
old hand
Alright. This will be the last thing I say about this.

I don't know. I haven't seen the game. I don't know how it plays, I don't know the difficulty curve, I'm not sure how I feel about all this. In the end, I want a fair game that challenges me when called for. Maybe the new rules make sense and I'll get used to them. In that case, fair enough. And perhaps not. And in that case, I will probably mod it in, that mod will be there super fast - as the game already lets you walk around naked [I think, what else are the genitals for?]. Not what I hoped for, but I suspect it's what I would want.

But, my gut says, Core Rules, even if it's only optional so it's casual for the casuals.

But. If you give others the options to do whatever, then whatever should include being able to play by the rules and be restricted in their choices. Choice and consequence in an RPG matters just as much in dialogue as it does when progressing your character.

I would *always* check the Core Rules button if it's there. *Always*, even if it becomes annoyingly hard and Tav loses an arm or a tentacle. Core Rules setting will affect my experience positively for the entire game.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Page 17 of 29 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard