Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
I think I will pass on this now. At least BG 1 and 2 stuck to the d&d rules and not change everything for the causal whiny players.

Last edited by zarchaun44; 11/07/23 11:39 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by zarchaun44
I think I will pass on this now. At least BG 1 and 2 stuck to the d&d rules and not change everything for the causal whiny players.
Ah yes gate keeping dungeons and dragons... A game totally not all about diversity and inclusion.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Ah yes gate keeping dungeons and dragons... A game totally not all about diversity and inclusion.
Also BG1+2 changed plenty of things.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
W
veteran
veteran
W

There is a lot of whining going on, but it’s never coming from the “casuals.”

I’m just happy I have an easy way to respec Minsc into a barbarian without mods.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I have seen no declarative proof that companions can be reset to level 0. Meanwhile the drama over removing multiclass restrictions is overblown as well. Point buy systems could have been replaced with dice roll and allowed Uber builds. By default if you mutliclass into a class with a low base score you will perform poorly. It's a built in check and balance.

I go back to the original DnD ( 1st edition) and we must remember TTRPG and CRPG cannot function identically. Since it's a single player/Co Op experience, I think some flexibility is warranted.
Rules as intended from 1st edition forward are at the discretion of the DM.
Game looks amazing
Enjoy it

addict
addict

Sounds like you're gatekeeping. There is nothing wrong with simplifying things for new players. That doesn't mean it will always stay that way.

Originally Posted by Warlocke

I’m just happy I have an easy way to respec Minsc into a barbarian without mods.

Hm, I keep hearing this assumption over and over, but do we for sure have actual confirmation companions can be completely reclassed? I would assume it would just be to level 1, perhaps subclasses included, but that's it. I don't have a strong feeling about it, will probably keep everyone their own class, but small quibbles like being able to change Shadowheart out of the terrible trickery domain would be nice.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Nightmarian

Hm, I keep hearing this assumption over and over, but do we for sure have actual confirmation companions can be completely reclassed? I would assume it would just be to level 1, perhaps subclasses included, but that's it. I don't have a strong feeling about it, will probably keep everyone their own class, but small quibbles like being able to change Shadowheart out of the terrible trickery domain would be nice.

From what I heard, it seems Larian is using a lot of things they did with Divinity Original Sin 2. In regards to your companions you can change their class. Before they join you, they will tell you want they are proficient in and you can choose to either keep the class they are or change it to something you think suits them better.

veteran
veteran

More self-flagellating melodrama for a game ya haven't even played. Nice.

Blackheifer
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Lady Avyna
Originally Posted by Nightmarian

From what I heard, it seems Larian is using a lot of things they did with Divinity Original Sin 2. In regards to your companions you can change their class. Before they join you, they will tell you want they are proficient in and you can choose to either keep the class they are or change it to something you think suits them better.
Center multiple companions' entire stories and personalities to specific classes
Make those classes optional
What could go wrong?

W
veteran
veteran
W
I have heard on both Fextralife and Wolfheart recaps of the private content creator preview that all companions can be fully reclassed.

Since this is optional, its completely up to you if Wyll, Gale, or Shadowhearts’ classes don’t match their stories. I think this is the right design choice. I won’t change any character with a class intrinsic to their background, but for players who don’t care about the dissonance, why not just give them that option? It isn’t costing anybody anything.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Center multiple companions' entire stories and personalities to specific classes
Make those classes optional
What could go wrong?

Going to make for some awkward conversations.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
I have heard on both Fextralife and Wolfheart recaps of the private content creator preview that all companions can be fully reclassed.

Since this is optional, its completely up to you if Wyll, Gale, or Shadowhearts’ classes don’t match their stories. I think this is the right design choice. I won’t change any character with a class intrinsic to their background, but for players who don’t care about the dissonance, why not just give them that option? It isn’t costing anybody anything.
Yeah, options are option, but it betrays an underlying design philosophy that you can get what you want by modifying pre-existing fundamentals rather than the dev accounting for more options.

I'd have liked a bard, sorcerer, and monk companion rather than having to tear a companion's story to the ground to build one up.

W
veteran
veteran
W

Yeah, options are option, but it betrays an underlying design philosophy that you can get what you want by modifying pre-existing fundamentals rather than the dev accounting for more options.

I'd have liked a bard, sorcerer, and monk companion rather than having to tear a companion's story to the ground to build one up.

Only some characters have classes deeply tied to their backstories. Astarion works perfectly well as a bard, Lae’zel could be a monk.

And while it would be amazing to have one companion for each class, just because that wasn’t in the scope of the project isn’t a reason not to give people this option.

I would honestly add Halsin, Jaehira, and even Lazael to a degree (she is definitely a martial soldier, would be weird to see her as a bard or sorcerer).

Once more, no strong feelings seeing as it's an option, but on a personal level I do agree it'll be goofy as all heck to see a paladin or ranger with boar pet Wyll talking about his warlock pact. If people want to do that to themselves, it's certainly their choice and if not Larian a mod would have done it. Just shocked it was Larian that allowed it, though.

Seems like at some point they kinda just throw out the 5E PHB lol and took a cleaver down in between gameplay and story. Probably when they started reaching for Tasha's stuff too and then homebrewing the rest hard and long. Whelp, luckily for me, I'm less interested in the DnD aspects of the game and more in the story, setting, and characters, and the combat is passible too so I get fun out of it. Heard encounters are much more interesting in act 2 from fextralife, so good.

Well, good to know, I guess. I know Team Min Max is orgasming right now.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

Only some characters have classes deeply tied to their backstories. Astarion works perfectly well as a bard, Lae’zel could be a monk.

And while it would be amazing to have one companion for each class, just because that wasn’t in the scope of the project isn’t a reason not to give people this option.
Still don't like it; still think it's a very imperfect approach to the problem, but I can make my peace with it. There are certain places in this game where I would have reduced features and certain places where I would have increased features, but it's not my game, not my company.

veteran
veteran

Originally Posted by Blackheifer

More self-flagellating melodrama for a game ya haven't even played. Nice.

Is it essential to make those snarky one-liners? How hard can it be to let those who want to feel certain way about things feel that way without belittling how they feel?

N
old hand
old hand
N

Even for those you could argue for class swapping, if only maybe at diffrent points

Mizora now seems to be more of the traditional patron and if will fully escapes her it'd make sense for him to lose his warlock level and put them into bard or something.

Shadowheart clearly isn't a proper Shar cleric and exhibits traits of being a sorcerer

Gale even makes sense as a wild magic sorcerer woth his chest thing

addict
addict
Also BG1+2 changed plenty of things.

Yeah, BG2 added an entire class to the game that was never in 2e (sorcerer), and the monk was a bit of an amalgam of abilities that weren't really nailed down anywhere at that point. BG2 was more like a 2.5e in the same way that BG3 is turning out to be more like a 5.5e.

Back from timeout.
B
B
Wyll makes perfect sense as various other classes. The tadpole nerfed his powers but the infernal pact is still signed. This basically allows Wyll to level up from lvl1 as whatever he wants. Before being a warlock, Wyll was definitely something else based on his story.

Page 18 of 29 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 28 29

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard