Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
But, I think I said this before actually, what's the point of rolling then?
I mean, by that rationale, you might as well have a counter that says how many points you want for your point buy, all the way up to 15 in each ability.
All the way up to 18! wink

And yes ...
That is called infinite point buy, and some of us (well, probably just me) are advocating for it for quite some time by now. laugh

Originally Posted by Potatoo
The purpose is to keep the game balanced and not let people cheat.
Ballance is just fancy word that sounds nicely. smile
DnD never was, still its not, and never will be Ballanced.

Stat rolling is not cheating, in fact its the original and most core and raw way to set your statistic ...
We get you dont like it, but that is your business, not ours ... so, it have no place in our game. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
I would love to have different ways to get stats- dice rolling, point buy etc.
I always find rolling stats in pen & paper very satisfying.
I'm ok with point buy too, I would love to have both though.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Xzoviac Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'm in the camp that folk can do whatever they like in their own singleplayer games and wouldn't care whether or not there was any limitation on stat rolling. And I wouldn't mind if people were also given the option to just enter their desired stats, so they could replicate a TT character, manually roll offline, or just cheat if that's what they want to do. I guess for multiplayer some restrictions might be helpful.

Personally, as I've just said in another thread but it's probably more relevant here, having been brought round in the course of BG3 EA to the fun of working round weaknesses and flaws and just rolling with the dice, my main regret if we don't get stat rolling would be not being able to roll characters just once and try to work around what I got, including potentially some real lows and highs. That said, this is probably something I'd want to leave until I'd mastered the game with a more balanced character, so personally I won't be too upset if we don't get stat rolling on release. I'll still be hoping it gets added later, though.
100%

I really wanna do 1 roll playthrews even if they are doomed to be crap, id love finding ways around being gimped

And god mode runs would also be fun if they allowed to 25 all stats and see what would happen

Freedom to play how i feel at the time

And multiplayer can just have tags warning players wich mode the host is using (plus the number of times the host has dice rolled) so players can choose if they want to join them or not at a glance

Last edited by Xzoviac; 21/07/23 10:49 AM.
I'm born in 1983, you can count how old I am and if you get 25 or under from that then good luck to you.

Don't get me wrong, I love stat rolling, but if I'm being honest, I would probably cheat if I can freely roll my stats infinite times and that would bring the overall game experience down in the end. So I prefer that Larian doesn't give me the opportunity to cheat.

veteran
veteran
I would probably cheat if I can freely roll my stats infinite times and that would bring the overall game experience down in the end.
Well ...
This is something for what i honestly dont have any understanding.

I called it "please developers restrain me so i dont willingly do something i dont want to do" ...

And that just feels ...
Eh no, lets just not go there, im rarely polite in this matter.

I say, this is game for 18+ (maybe 21+ in America? dunno) ... meaning adults only.
Adult is a person who should be in my honest opinion be able to make informated choice about what they want by themselves ... especialy when they know well enough the consequences.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 21/07/23 11:03 AM.

journeyman
journeyman
The purpose is to keep the game balanced and not let people cheat. If you wan't to make the game easier then take the easy difficulty.

Cheat? How would you be cheating? It's an option; you're not obligated to use it.

It amuses me that I have to switch the difficulty to easy when I found the EA of BG3 so laughably easy smile

addict
addict
But whether you cheat or not is entirely up to you.

Would you view reloading your save to get a desirable outcome in certain dialogs or fights as cheating as well? Or using mods?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I'm in the camp that folk can do whatever they like in their own singleplayer games and wouldn't care whether or not there was any limitation on stat rolling. And I wouldn't mind if people were also given the option to just enter their desired stats, so they could replicate a TT character, manually roll offline, or just cheat if that's what they want to do. I guess for multiplayer some restrictions might be helpful.

Personally, as I've just said in another thread but it's probably more relevant here, having been brought round in the course of BG3 EA to the fun of working round weaknesses and flaws and just rolling with the dice, my main regret if we don't get stat rolling would be not being able to roll characters just once and try to work around what I got, including potentially some real lows and highs. That said, this is probably something I'd want to leave until I'd mastered the game with a more balanced character, so personally I won't be too upset if we don't get stat rolling on release. I'll still be hoping it gets added later, though.

see I would be fine with stat rolling in multiplayer under a few conditions.

1) Done by the book, you get one chance to roll - rolling 4 x 6-sided dice, dropping the lowest number, and adding the remaining total. No re-rolls.
2) You have to accept your method, no switching to point buy after.

But I know that isn't what people want. They want the old Bg1, 2 infinite stat rolling. Which is fine for single player but would be a nightmare for multiplayer.

Blackheifer
Exactly, you said it the best. The rule is you get one roll and that's it, everything else is cheating. It's the same if the game would give you infinite turn for attack, just pick how many times you want to perform your attack per turn, it's up to you because you're responsible adult, aren't you?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
That is called infinite point buy, and some of us (well, probably just me) are advocating for it for quite some time by now. laugh

Truthfully, I'm not opposed to this in the slightest. If available, I'd use it sparingly, and way more conservative but it would be fun to make a 18STR HOrc or 18CON Dwarf or something. The latter I had on TT and was lots of fun.

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
But I know that isn't what people want. They want the old Bg1, 2 infinite stat rolling. Which is fine for single player but would be a nightmare for multiplayer.
But I can see this, too.

Still, if people want to play their tabletop party in this game, I say; let them.

Last edited by rodeolifant; 21/07/23 11:16 AM.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
The rule is you get one roll and that's it
Can you please show me where exactly in PHB is it said that you can never reroll? smile
(Hint: Its not. wink )

---

Originally Posted by rodeolifant
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Truthfully, I'm not opposed to this in the slightest. If available, I'd use it sparingly, and way more conservative but it would be fun to make a 18STR HOrc or 18CON Dwarf or something. The latter I had on TT and was lots of fun.
Thats exactly the point ... you can get whatever result you would get with rolling, without rolling. laugh

You want to make Bigus Dickus with all 18's ? You can ...
You want to make Fraglus Brokus with all 3's? You can ...

Its all in your direction, break your game however you want. laugh

The rules for stat rolling in 5e are:

Roll 4 x 6 sided dice
Remove the lowest dice result
Add up the remaining numbers to get an ability score
Write down this ability score on note paper
Repeat these steps until you have 6 ability scores
Assign a score to each attribute on your character sheet.

Where is the part that says "You can re roll as many times as you like until you get your desired scores." ?

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
As a person who usually rerolled stats in BG1 until there were 92 or more points....I actually don't think stat rollling makes sense in a CRPG. If you can't reroll without significant effort (such as restarting from the main menu), then it's a potentially frustrating experience, if you can reroll, it's equivalent to a cheat. You might as well just use a mod or cheat program to set your attributes. And since there is no such thing as dual-classing in D&D5 with its very high attribute requirements you might not be able to get with the buy point system, rolling for stats serves no useful purpose.

The purpose of stat rolling is that it can bring some excitement because the outcome is governed by chance. This only happens when you get to roll once, but if you can roll infinite times then the meaning and outcome is totally different.

addict
addict
In BG2 Depending on the class I self set a number of rolls (more for bards, thiefs...) 30 rolls for example and take the best ^ ^
Its fun and always get aomething a little different. Sometimes max is an 88 sometimes a 95. This guides me to what further choices in spells weapons ill take further in the game.
Omg do I dislike gamers that go for the most OP and mathematical build. I nerver play games with those types. Sucks the roleplaying and fun out of everything.

On a related side note, I really dislike these +2 +1 bonuses we will get for races...but you know what? I will add them to my lowest attributes and ignore them. Haha, back at you Larian!

Moral being we have the option to sorta ignore these weird changes that are suddenly being pushed.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 21/07/23 12:39 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Where is the part that says "You can re roll as many times as you like until you get your desired scores." ?
Right at page 1. smile

https://dnd4.fandom.com/wiki/Rule_0

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
But I know that isn't what people want. They want the old Bg1, 2 infinite stat rolling.
The BG games actually had the worst combination of point buy and rolling (still better than only point buy, but I digress). I.e. you could freely substract and add points from rolls, so the only thing that mattered was getting a high total. IIRC your companions had pretty optimized stat spreads too, so the game expected you to min-max.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The answer is "whatever the DM says". If the DM says you can re-roll it's not cheating, if they say you can't (and you do it anyway) it is. I've run campaigns with point buy and rolls in 5e and honestly I think it depends on the campaign which is best. Some of the best characters and roleplay come out of the wonky stat distributions rolling provides. Personally I let people re-roll if they get a truly terrible array and make the re-roll if they get a truly god-tier one that I feel could legitimately upset play. We have an excellent int 6 barbarian in the party at the moment and the player really leans into the character not understanding complex things without either being suicidal or a detriment to the party. I ask the players to recap the previous session as their character would and they all make this player do it because damn the man is funny.

I can't recall if it's in the original games but I'm sure in the Beamdog re-releases you could actually dig out the times a character had had their stats re-rolled from one of the .ini files or something else easily viewable in text readers.

I do think if the option is put in (which I think it should) there should be some limitation for multiplayer available as a toggle (the more the better but disable/one roll only would be the obvious limitations). Raw stats in 5E aren't as big a deal as they were in AD&D/BG1or2 when they were tied to things like learning spells, amount of spells per day etc. But raw 5e has some surprisingly rigorous adherence to expected bonuses in your primary stat, the AC-to-CR of the average monster and the expected player to-hits is almost always 65% (the game "assumes" you take an ASI in your primary stat at 4 and 8 to hit 18 and 20).

Even if stats don't affect as much as they used to they'll still be a noticeable effect with someone whose has a higher bonus so there should be limitations available to the host player in MP should they wish to use them. In SP let the players do what they want within reason, I like rolling stats and would happily roll for a few minutes to get an interesting array of numbers, I don't plan on sitting there for 2 hours but if people want to let them.

veteran
veteran
I feel like the final argument will be:

Why can't I assign whatever points I want to my stats? If I'm supposed to be "creating" this character, why can't I create this character?

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard