Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Tuco
Originally Posted by Vitani
Can't believe I agree with what Tuco said but there you have it
Devastating. You must finally be infected with common sense.

You get used to it over time. It's nice to be right about things.
Actually laughed out loud

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
enthusiast
enthusiast

Aaand that nice, fluffy feeling is gone. Bummer. galeworried

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z

Aaand that nice, fluffy feeling is gone. Bummer. galeworried
As quickly fleeting as an orgasm innit

C
addict
addict
C
There's plenty of reasons to not use that platform:
I don't like its interface. I don't like its organization. I don't like their Vortex client and I don't like having to keep up with mods manually to have them up to date, either.
Steam Workshop support would spare me from every single one of these things, so I'll gladly use it given the option.

All of this. Steam Workshop is vastly superior to vortex

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by colinl8
I don't like its interface. I don't like its organization. I don't like their Vortex client and I don't like having to keep up with mods manually to have them up to date, either.
Steam Workshop support would spare me from every single one of these things, so I'll gladly use it given the option.

Except Vortex automatically tells you if mods are outdated, gives you version control over mods, gives you load order control, and lets you manually check out and if necessarily modify each mod.

But yeah, let's tie modding to a client that doesn't support the entire player base and offers a dramatically worse service.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
Originally Posted by colinl8

Except Vortex automatically tells you if mods are outdated, gives you version control over mods, gives you load order control, and lets you manually check out and if necessarily modify each mod.

But yeah, let's tie modding to a client that doesn't support the entire player base and offers a dramatically worse service.

+1, seriously.

Tuco when was the last time you used Vortex? It auto updates mods, it tells you if there is a conflict, it makes recommendations on load order and warns you about possible conflicts. It makes it super easy to "suspend" a single mod in the sequence if it is not working right and also lets you transmit mod "kits" to other users who you may want to play with so you are all using the same mods.

I mean, nothing against Steam workshop, I use that as well because it's right there but it's just not going to be active day one, and it doesn't have the bells and whistles of vortex. If you are fine waiting a month or two for it to be set up then fine.

If however you want Variant Human on day one - Nexus mods is your boi.

Blackheifer
A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
If however you want Variant Human on day one - Nexus mods is your boi.

I certainly won't use mods for a first playthrough. It is better to experience the game as intended first. But then I would really appreciate have the workshop for mods, simply because it is so much easier and convenient.

So +1 for workshop from me.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Arkhan
I certainly won't use mods for a first playthrough. It is better to experience the game as intended first.

Unless you've found a way to play the game as a full-time job, I reckon that by the time you'll have completed a first playthrough, the mod ecosystem will by rich and robust

Last edited by colinl8; 14/07/23 10:03 PM.
addict
addict
Vortex has gotten MUCH better over time, but I am not a fan of some of the Nexus’s decisions lately. How they implemented collections for example…. Still better than workshop IMO. I use both.

Last edited by avahZ Darkwood; 14/07/23 11:16 PM.
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
+1, seriously.

Tuco when was the last time you used Vortex? It auto updates mods
In December, when I did my first Paladin playthough.
It's garbage.

I prefer even the BG3 mod manager to Vortex. But that doesn't come with auto-update for your mods, does it?

I mean, Jesus Christ, since I never even bothered uninstalling it I just launched it again to give it a try and here's the result.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But no, "IT'S AMAZING, TRUST ME BRO". Ok. Can I still have my Steam Workshop support and leave all this amazingness to you guys?

Last edited by Tuco; 15/07/23 11:11 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
+1, seriously.

Tuco when was the last time you used Vortex? It auto updates mods
In December, when I did my first Paladin playthough.
It's garbage.

I prefer even the BG3 mod manager to Vortex. But that doesn't come with auto-update for your mods, does it?

I mean, Jesus Christ, since I never even bothered uninstalling it I just launched it again to give it a try and here's the result.

But no, "IT'S AMAZING, TRUST ME BRO". Ok. Can I still have my Steam Workshop support and leave all this amazingness to you guys?
In other words, you can't figure out to to set up the Nexus, therefore it is bad, therefore please hide all options and give us an automated one size fits all rubbish solution that hinders what people can actually do with mods?

That sort of logic is why applications continue to have fewer and fewer settings. Why confuse users with options that they'll only mess up anyway?

From what the error display is telling you, you can trivially see that the error comes from a Morrowind plugin. It has nothing to do with BG3.

Incidentally, I also have an old Vortex installation from last time I was playing Skyrim, which was some time back in 2022 when the GOG version was released. And I went through some effort to make the unofficial patch work, because the unofficial patch assumes all of the free anniversary edition content is active, meaning a host of absolute garbage creation club junk that Bethesda gave away as a "gift". Having that junk in the game is seriously disruptive and detracts from the experience, so obviously I don't want that, but the unofficial patch team really don't want to do separate versions of their patch, and they don't make previous versions of their patch available either. Fortunately I had a very recent previous version before the AE crap was added to the base game, and using that instead of the latest version worked just fine in Vortex. Zero issues.

And the reason I bring it up is because I just started Vortex, just to have a look-see, and guess what? No issues at all. No errors, no nothing. And my Skyrim works too, because the GOG version allows me to have version control over the application, meaning it will not update and invalidate the script extender, which would then force me through a very aggravating process of updating mods. Everything just works, and *I* control when things are updated.

You don't realise how valuable version control really is until you've had Bethesda shit in your box of cereal for the tenth time because they wanted to add yet more paid mod junk to their creation club.

PS
How many people do you think tried D&D once, had a bad experience because of a shitty DM, and then decided the whole system was garbage?

veteran
veteran
Yeah, you have a corrupted install.

Yikes. You should stick to Steam workshop. Safer for everyone.

Blackheifer
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
"You don't understand true heroism [through serial killing]"
"You can't figure out Vortex" (as if I did ANYTHING beside launching it again after few months of non-use".

Jesus Christ, you clowns would bend in the shape of a Pretzel to defend even the most hideous shit, if convenient to your argument.

Last edited by Tuco; 15/07/23 12:47 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
"You don't understand true heroism [through serial killing]"
"You can't figure out Vortex" (as if I did ANYTHING beside launching it again after few months of non-use".

Jesus Christ, you clowns would bend in the shape of a Pretzel to defend even the most hideous shit, if convenient to your argument.

Yeah, it's fine to have opinions.

Also though just about every action movie is a serial killer that gets rewarded for killing lots of people to achieve their goals. Pretty much anything with John Woo as director, all the Lethal Weapon movies, The Expendables, Rambo, John Wick, The Punisher and James Bond to name a small few.

I think that there is nothing wrong with playing characters across the good/evil spectrum as long as you enjoy yourself.

and I wasn't going to say it but you did SOMETHING to that install, looks like you moved or tampered with one of the Morrowind mod files or folders, or something else did.

Blackheifer
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
and I wasn't going to say it but you did SOMETHING to that install, looks like you moved or tampered with one of the Morrowind mod files or folders, or something else did.
I don't even have Morrowind installed, nor I ever used any Nexus mod for it, but nice try.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Vortex is bloat incarnate and Steam is too barebone.
I much prefer tools like Mod Organizer, a launcher agnostic tool that does one thing and does it well. It allows for some advanced stuff while still being very easy to use.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by snowram
Vortex is bloat incarnate and Steam is too barebone.
I much prefer tools like Mod Organizer, a launcher agnostic tool that does one thing and does it well. It allows for some advanced stuff while still being very easy to use.
For me, the mod community I prefer is based on the quality of the mods and the style of the game. For Bethesda games, barebones doesn’t cut it and you have to use Nexus. For Paradox games though, tge Steak community is generally good. I haven’t seen how Nexus is for Larian games, but the steam community left much to be desired.

Vortex is VERY bloaty though, but so are most client based mod systems. So it all depends

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 15/07/23 07:32 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
I also like smaller tools like Mod organizer or the BG3 Mod Manager better than the bloaty Nexus. These smaller tools are also usually on github so i can see exactly what they do / how they work and can contact the developer if i have questions or suggestions.
I like to fiddle with mods myself and Nexus does not let you do that easily.
Steam workshop is fine for many games that don't have too complex mods, so mostly new or changed assets (Cities Skylines for example). Also for games that have an inbuilt mod manager with load order (Rimworld for example).
So what i hope is that Larian put in an internal Modmanager with loadorder etc. Hopefully on launch. Then Steam workshop will be all you need and it's easy to use even for unexperienced players.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I don't even have Morrowind installed, nor I ever used any Nexus mod for it, but nice try.
You can read the error message, right? I mean, it's in English and everything, and what it says isn't random gibberish. The error message definitively originates from an extension for Morrowind. It just so happens that the base Vortex comes bundled with a Morrowind extension, just in case people might want to use it for handling Morrowind.

What it looks like to me is that an update to that extension failed. That's just from reading your screenshot, though. At a guess, you should be able to go into the Extensions tab, show bundled extensions, search for Morrowind, disable the extension, and then you probably won't get more update errors for that extension. That's just me guessing, of course.

Or you could reinstall your Vortex, get the right version of that extension with no need for the update that is refusing to run, and then the problem is also solved.

Anyway, like I said, your reaction is a bit like sucking the first time you kiss a girl and then deciding to become a monk.

Well, us clowns aren't the people who want the most dumbed down mod manager invented because anything beyond "install mod" and "uninstall mod" is too complicated and has bloat and oh no, I can't stop myself from pushing those buttons I shouldn't be pushing. Jesus Christ indeed, mate.

But I happen to agree that Vortex is indeed "hideous shit". It does suffer from bloat. The default dashboard is just about enough to make anyone have a stroke. But you can customize the dashboard to get rid of all the distracting noise, and as a mod manager, it does work.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Guys is having an argument over mod clients really worth this amount of mutual frustration?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard