Originally Posted by Llengrath
@Sansang I didn't mean to be gatekeepy about this and I apologize if that's what I came across as. If so, it's because I feel strongly about this and I genuinely think it's bad for the game in the long run. When I said 'it's intuitive for rpg enthusiasts', I was referring solely to the idea that classes are integral to a character's story. Is this not how you see it?

That's fair, you want the game to be good, but a button you will never click will not make the game worse. About your question, no I don't think so. Classes are a set of mechanical features to me. When I want to play an half-orc shaman worshipper of the violence of nature, fire and storms, great lord of war, I know that the druid is not about that, but it's also the best fitting class to make it work. The sorcerer could work it well too probably. Reflavouring is something that I do often. On top of that 5e is a game that I love, but I vastly prefer classless games like World of Darkness or Call of Chtulhu.

Originally Posted by Llengrath
I admit I have a hard time wrapping my head around how it's possible to know you can make Shadowheart not-a-cleric at any time and not have your immersion instantly broken.

It's a little play pretend. On one side you can think "sha has always been a rogue worshipper of shar, she never changed", on the other side you can find Zybilna across the road and make a wish "I want to be a rogue and forget everything about divine spells!". Is that so impossible in Faerun?

... because it's fun!