Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#860295 12/07/23 10:40 AM
Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Can we please have some confirmation that this will be a thing, as it was in DOS 2?

I would gladly do without having to use Nexus, if I can help it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
N
N
+1 cant wait for modders to get a hold of bg3

addict
addict
+1

enthusiast
enthusiast
I would assume that yes, but some confirmation would be nice, indeed.

veteran
veteran
A huge +1

Mods are the only way this game becomes even remotely playable.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Hopefully the steam workshop mod makers have access to more tools because I found the DOS2 steam mods to be quite lacking.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
stranger
stranger
+1. As someone who plays BG3 via Streaming (GFN) I can*t really install any mods via Nexus. It is simply not possible due to how streaming games in general works (emulating a new rig everytime you log into the app). Saves land in the cloud so you don*t really lose any progress on that front. But with mods it is a whole other story. They have to be downloaded, managed, integrated manually by the player with every new login into the game. But Mods in the Steam Workshop can be integrated automatically after you added them at least once in the mod library. In DOS 2 this worked really well.

apprentice
apprentice
+1+1+1^π

Yes please.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Wondering myself. Would be great to know before release. Why? Cause if not Ill wait for the PS5 version but if yes than I will get the PC version.

veteran
veteran
We won't know about Steam Workshop Support until post-launch. DOS 2 had it - so there is good reason to suspect that Bg3 will as well, but if WOTC objects then it may be a problem.

Blackheifer
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
It would of course be super nice if Larian were to confirm that they will invest effort into ensuring that people who buy the game on GOG are treated as second class citizens.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by ArvGuy
It would of course be super nice if Larian were to confirm that they will invest effort into ensuring that people who buy the game on GOG are treated as second class citizens.
1- Not sure why supporting the Workshop implementation (something that they did for most of their recent titles) would mean treating you unfairly.
2- Don't forget that you chose your own ghetto. No one prevented you from buying on Steam if you cared about this type of feature.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
+1 Steam Workshop. Yes, please.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Originally Posted by Tuco
1- Not sure why supporting the Workshop implementation (something that they did for most of their recent titles) would mean treating you unfairly.
2- Don't forget that you chose your own ghetto. No one prevented you from buying on Steam if you cared about this type of feature.
1) Depends on whether mods end up divided between those who can use Steam to access them and those who cannot. If you're going to sell the same product in two different stores, it really should be the same product, and if mods become part of the sales pitch then the GOG version of the game shouldn't be dramatically inferior in that regard. Same if they decide to sell an Epic version. It's just not well mannered.

2) Less DRM is better than more DRM. Always. But that whole "fuck anyone who doesn't buy from the same store as me sideways" mentality is hardly something to be proud of, is it?

3) The more you divide the mod base and the player base, the harder modding becomes. It is not really in anyone's interest to see either fragment.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Tuco
1) Depends on whether mods end up divided between those who can use Steam to access them and those who cannot. If you're going to sell the same product in two different stores, it really should be the same product, and if mods become part of the sales pitch then the GOG version of the game shouldn't be dramatically inferior in that regard. Same if they decide to sell an Epic version. It's just not well mannered.
3) The more you divide the mod base and the player base, the harder modding becomes. It is not really in anyone's interest to see either fragment.
1. That is something the mod authors will be deciding, really - if their mod will work on different platforms.
3. Again, it's the modders choice in the end, isn't it? I'm sure Nexus will be filled to the brim just like the Steam workshop.

Can't believe I agree with what Tuco said but there you have it - you chose your platform knowing full well the pros and cons.

veteran
veteran
The majority of mods will be on Nexus at first anyway so there is no reason not to use that platform. It's really pretty easy as long as you have Vortex - but even still you can install them manually if you don't like Vortex.

Steam Workshop is going to take longer and GOG needs to invest more in their own platform so they can support a workshop and stop acting like the Dollar Store version of Steam.

Blackheifer
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
The reason I get ever so slightly grumpy over this is that seemingly a bunch of people feel it is right and proper for Larian to dedicate resources to make the product better for their platform specifically while purposefully ignoring all other platforms. I don't know why that is reasonable?

It is no less a messed up perspective than if I was to argue that Larian should make DLSS mandatory for anything beyond lego resolution, and to hell with scrubs who chose to buy an AMD card. They knew what they were buying. Never mind that it isn't too sensible, but it surely isn't a nice attitude, is it? Definitely rubs me the wrong way, I have to say.

I can see a strong case for using Steam Workshop if a game is only really sold on Steam at launch, or if the dev is small and doesn't have resources for more. But in this case, some users are literally asking for Larian to dedicate resources to fragment the modding community and encourage mods to be exclusively available to Steam users, and there's no real reason for it.

The reason I'm only slightly grumpy is because Larian is pretty big, the community for BG3 is likely to be reasonably big, and so neither the resource investment nor the fragmentation really ought to be too severe. But I'd still dramatically prefer if Larian focused on a more platform agnostic solution to modding rather than tying it to Steam workshop.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The reason I get ever so slightly grumpy over this is that seemingly a bunch of people feel it is right and proper for Larian to dedicate resources to make the product better for their platform specifically while purposefully ignoring all other platforms. I don't know why that is reasonable?

It is no less a messed up perspective than if I was to argue that Larian should make DLSS mandatory for anything beyond lego resolution, and to hell with scrubs who chose to buy an AMD card. They knew what they were buying. Never mind that it isn't too sensible, but it surely isn't a nice attitude, is it? Definitely rubs me the wrong way, I have to say.

I can see a strong case for using Steam Workshop if a game is only really sold on Steam at launch, or if the dev is small and doesn't have resources for more. But in this case, some users are literally asking for Larian to dedicate resources to fragment the modding community and encourage mods to be exclusively available to Steam users, and there's no real reason for it.

The reason I'm only slightly grumpy is because Larian is pretty big, the community for BG3 is likely to be reasonably big, and so neither the resource investment nor the fragmentation really ought to be too severe. But I'd still dramatically prefer if Larian focused on a more platform agnostic solution to modding rather than tying it to Steam workshop.
Because said platform has a built-in tool that players expect. You chose GOG for the no DRM function, others choose Steam for the workshop. What's so hard to understand?

Just say you are angry at yourself and move on.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Vitani
Can't believe I agree with what Tuco said but there you have it
Devastating. You must finally be infected with common sense.

You get used to it over time. It's nice to be right about things.

Last edited by Tuco; 14/07/23 02:51 PM.

Tuco Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
The majority of mods will be on Nexus at first anyway so there is no reason not to use that platform. It's really pretty easy as long as you have Vortex - but even still you can install them manually if you don't like Vortex.
There's plenty of reasons to not use that platform:
I don't like its interface. I don't like its organization. I don't like their Vortex client and I don't like having to keep up with mods manually to have them up to date, either.
Steam Workshop support would spare me from every single one of these things, so I'll gladly use it given the option.

And if some modders don't want to support it... Well, that's up to their choice, but they better be sure their mods will be particularly alluring, because otherwise chances are I simply won't use them.

Last edited by Tuco; 14/07/23 02:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard