I think we're free to head-canon it in whatever way makes best sense to us in our own playthroughs. Which might even differ from character to character.

Though I assume that it's true that we are limited in that head-canon to something that makes sense of all the tags that will have been set in our game. So even though we might tell a different story about who our character is, their motivations, etc if we choose a retcon-type head-canon, the things they have actually done in the game will remain the same, or at least anything that has consequences after the point of respeccing.

I can see a case for thinking of it this way, and I guess that is a fair characterisation of what I did when I respecced my WotR character, who I'd started off as a rogue then took levels in sorceror intending to make her an Arcane Trickster, who needed two levels of sneak attack as per Pathfinder rules. Once I took the Trickster mythic path and realised that would give her the two levels of sneak attack without taking rogue levels, I respecced her as a sorceror at level 1 and pretended that is what she'd always been. So yes, I definitely retconned my WotR character. And I'm not even sorry grin

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"