Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
I went and read more into Shar's cult , and it sounds like SH shouldn't be sharing her worship with you unless she was trying to recruit you. Also, the requirement to become a cleric is indeed pretty terrible, so I better understand where some people's strong feelings are coming from. It reminds me of Mephala or Boethiah from Elder Scrolls.

Based on all the inherent secrecy, it doesn't seem like most people in game would know the Sharran requirements and symbols though (at least without a moderately difficult religion check).
Okay, seems like we can find at least some common ground, which I appreciate.

I would disagree, though, about average FR people's extent of knowledge about Shar. Firstly, I don't think custom Tav is or should be considered average. And furthermore, Shar's monstrocity in the Realms is so enormous that one would have to literally be living under a rock to not know basic things about her, such as her symbols and the extent of her evilness. I mean, it's only been a short few years since she waged a horribly destructive war across a large swath of the Realms in an ettempt to further her nihilism.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by fylimar
What I don't get, is why Shadowheart gets so much bad rep, but Viconia is universally liked, despite being a Sharran.
I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I don't remember seeing those comments about Viconia.
LOL. Valid point. But FYI, Viconia is not absolutely universally liked. I can't stand her, and I think I have even had her in my party only one time in the well over twenty times I've played the old games.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by benbaxter
I went and read more into Shar's cult , and it sounds like SH shouldn't be sharing her worship with you unless she was trying to recruit you. Also, the requirement to become a cleric is indeed pretty terrible, so I better understand where some people's strong feelings are coming from. It reminds me of Mephala or Boethiah from Elder Scrolls.

Based on all the inherent secrecy, it doesn't seem like most people in game would know the Sharran requirements and symbols though (at least without a moderately difficult religion check).
Okay, seems like we can find at least some common ground, which I appreciate.

I would disagree, though, about average FR people's extent of knowledge about Shar. Firstly, I don't think custom Tav is or should be considered average. And furthermore, Shar's monstrocity in the Realms is so enormous that one would have to literally be living under a rock to not know basic things about her, such as her symbols and the extent of her evilness. I mean, it's only been a short few years since she waged a horribly destructive war across a large swath of the Realms in an ettempt to further her nihilism.

Regarding knowing her symbols, I think it's fair that most people wouldn't know much about her at all, but we see based on item descriptions that an onyx stone is associated with her, and Shadowheart wears onyx disks on her armor. So I get the sense that even for the average person, they'd know at least that that is a symbol of Shar the same way an average person in real life knows that a pentagram is associated with Satanism. It's not always associated with that, but it's relatively common knowledge that most people would be somewhat aware of. And when our character knows for a fact she's a cleric, it is not a big leap to make.

old hand
old hand
Shar is also the goddess of loss; and often takes those in her 'embrace' who have lost everything and have nothing to turn to. Kind of like the patron saint of the depressed. Shar being Shar, that doesn't mean she really cares - but that is what is professed. Shadowheart, like Viconia came to Shar in that manner and sought solace with Her.

Now, Viconia lost everything because she wasn't quite as cruel as her Drow compatriots; and when romantically pursued by a good character - she actually turns neutral. Shadowheart, whilst certainly pious and not trusting in the slightest, she certainly *acts* liek a Sharran - Seems to have the most trouble with the choice of siding with Minthara and the goblins. I don't know, I don;t think her heart is *all* Shadow.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kanisatha
Originally Posted by fylimar
What I don't get, is why Shadowheart gets so much bad rep, but Viconia is universally liked, despite being a Sharran.
I mean everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I don't remember seeing those comments about Viconia.
LOL. Valid point. But FYI, Viconia is not absolutely universally liked. I can't stand her, and I think I have even had her in my party only one time in the well over twenty times I've played the old games.

You and I are a minority in our dislike of Viconia - and even if people voice concern about her, it is mostly her standoffishness and not her being a Shar priest (though I must say, I don't actively dislike her like I do disliek Anomen for example, I just don't care about her).

I must admit, that I never really thought about Shar before, but I think rodelifant isn't wrong in that Shar attracts those, who have nothing to loose - the depressed and people without hope. I find that theory quite interesting.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Aerie is best girl. Fight me.

Actually no. Arue from wotr as a Azata is by far, the best laugh so cute, and so much singing and dancing. Loved it. Yea, yea, I'm basic, and proud.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
Regarding knowing her symbols, I think it's fair that most people wouldn't know much about her at all, but we see based on item descriptions that an onyx stone is associated with her, and Shadowheart wears onyx disks on her armor. So I get the sense that even for the average person, they'd know at least that that is a symbol of Shar the same way an average person in real life knows that a pentagram is associated with Satanism. It's not always associated with that, but it's relatively common knowledge that most people would be somewhat aware of. And when our character knows for a fact she's a cleric, it is not a big leap to make.
As well as the "pentagram thing" is more of a common misconception than an actual common knowledge (check wiki), the onyx thing also not that straight and simple https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Onyx

veteran
veteran
Say what you will about Shadowheart; meanwhile, those traders are paying good coin for severed limbs. Who's the real evil?

Of note: I was listening to an Ed Greenwood podcast thing, and he mentioned something about folks in the Realms. How most of them typically pay respect to almost all the gods, offering tribute as necessary. Umberlee being a good example. No one wants to upset her so offerings are often made.

We can look at the Forgotten Realms setting through our modern goggles and make sweeping decisions about good and evil in the eyes of commoners, but I think that's a somewhat shallow approach, for lack of a better word.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
Aerie is best girl. Fight me.

Actually no. Arue from wotr as a Azata is by far, the best laugh so cute, and so much singing and dancing. Loved it. Yea, yea, I'm basic, and proud.

Yeah, Arue + Azata is so much fun. My favourite playthrough of WotR. Also not basic at all, who in their right mind could say no to a redeeming succubus? wink
And if you go Ranger 8 / Bard 12 with Arue she is an amazing support and ranged char.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard