Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Originally Posted by Alodar
GeForce NOW is also an option for those who can't update.

Yes, I hear good things about this for folk who don't have a good enough PC but do have a good internet connection.

From what I understand, GeForce Now is more flexible than Stadia was as you can use your Steam copy to play either on that or on your own machine. Is that right? It looks like free access to GeForce now is pretty basic with only 1h sessions, but seems a great option as a temporary way to at least be able to try the game out and decide whether it's worth splashing out on a pricier monthly GeForce Now subscription or a new machine to keep playing.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
C
C
Originally Posted by Elk Mooser
Oh, it requires an SSD, does it?

I will be very surprised if that's true, 'cuz the EA runs very well from an HDD.

I feel like "requires SSD" is just some meme every dev adds to their requirements now, just in case. Can't complain about the game running like shit from an HDD if the requirements clearly state it requires an SSD.

Probably later game and particularly the city which will be a massive resource drain.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and splurge on a pretty tasty gaming pc with a RTX 4080. I saw some guy on youtube with one and the game just looked amazing

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by crashdaddy
Probably later game and particularly the city which will be a massive resource drain.

The min spec says 8GB of RAM and a 4GB graphics card. An SSD wont compensate for that.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I would use GeForce Now. But I'm worried I wouldn't be able to play if the internet went out for whatever reason. Oh, and my ISP has a data cap.

veteran
veteran
This doesn't surprise me at all.

I am in the clear on both my iMac and my PC - well above recommended.

I mean, most people I thought had M.2 Drives these days, they are $50 for 1 TB space and are faster than a standard SSD. Most motherboards have a slot for it.

I am actually surprised that people still have HDD's for anything other than backup storage - since its so cheap for space.

Blackheifer
L
L
It makes sense. My only real question is whether I will need 150 GB free in addition to the existing EA install or whether that will count towards the space requirements.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
Not to sound like an imbecile, but does the game have to be ON the SSD, or can its files be transferred to an external drive? Cause I can’t just delete my work lol

I found a decent primer on running games off an SSD:
https://computermesh.com/playing-games-off-an-external-hard-drive/

It should answer most of your questions.
Eh, might as well see how well the Early Access runs on my HDD and then judge I guess. Tradeoffs and what not.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Silverstar
If a game has SSD as a requirement it's still typically possible to play it from a regular disk. But it will be a much worse experience with really abysmal loading times at least. Investing in a cheap external SSD might be the way to go if your patience isn't infinite.

Don't know if others have responded to this yet, and I'm not a hardware person, so i could be wrong, but latency on SSD through USB is not more performant than an internal spinning disk is my understanding.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
GeForce NOW is also an option for those who can't update.

Yes, I hear good things about this for folk who don't have a good enough PC but do have a good internet connection.

From what I understand, GeForce Now is more flexible than Stadia was as you can use your Steam copy to play either on that or on your own machine. Is that right? It looks like free access to GeForce now is pretty basic with only 1h sessions, but seems a great option as a temporary way to at least be able to try the game out and decide whether it's worth splashing out on a pricier monthly GeForce Now subscription or a new machine to keep playing.

100% this. I've played EA on the windows side of my imac with Basecamp for the last few years. No problems, and the machine has 32GB of memory, but I don't know from the video card situation, and I've had to dial back a *lot* of video settings for performance I can live with. And while the graphics weren't the best they could be, you know, that's what I've learned to live with playing this way, and I've had no complaint.

I just learned about GeForce in the last couple of weeks, and $16 a month for everything on it's highest quality setting, on the native Mac side of that machine (it is *not* performant on the windows side) is an absolute treat. And I can play from a laptop if the kids are using the good computer!

(... starts wondering if I can get The Outer Worlds on GeForce ...)

apprentice
apprentice
Have enough space on my SSD, but 150 gb.. I live in the countryside and my internet is rather slow. It'll take me a day or so to download. Sadge.. August 4th it is :-(

veteran
veteran
The game will probably be half that size, they tell you how much space you'll need to install it. At least I hope that's it.

apprentice
apprentice
True, but at the best of times i can stream movies on prime / netflix in max quality, which is 5 gb/h (roughly), so even 75 gb would take me about 15 hours. Damned german digital infrastructure..

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
File size bigger than Starfield… a testament to the scope of replayability, or just different structured data?

S
old hand
old hand
S
File size bigger than Starfield… a testament to the scope of replayability, or just different structured data?
As usual with Bethesda games, Starfield will most likely be very procedural. The advantage of doing things that way is that you can reuse a lot of things in various situations such as textures, models, sfx and more. BG3 is way more hand-crafted so that leads to more unique assets, therefore more size used.

veteran
veteran
Bg3 will ship with a lot of VO. That alone should weight quite a bit.

Last edited by Wormerine; 13/07/23 01:57 PM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
I'd be surprised if anyone doesn't game on an SSD as they are much cheaper than they used to be and I moved to SSD builds over a decade ago.

F
addict
addict
F
I just bought and installed a cheap little SSD card today. 200RMB is about $30USD. It runs noticeably better.

Still can't run high performance on my laptop, but hey, I'm happy to wait for PS5 release for great graphics.

enthusiast
enthusiast
My laptop seems to meet the minimum system requirements, but unfortunately, only one of the two hard disks is a SSD. And of course it's the smaller one, where the OS is installed...
The SSD is 237 GB, but the windows folder alone has a size of 34,3 GB.

Would it be possible to install the game on this hard disk, if I manage to make enough space for the game?
Thanks in advance!

(I'll have to buy a PC anyway, but I would like to read up on pre-assembled gaming PCs first and not rush the decision. I would need the PC not only for gaming, but for 3D modeling as well.)

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Lyelle
My laptop seems to meet the minimum system requirements, but unfortunately, only one of the two hard disks is a SSD. And of course it's the smaller one, where the OS is installed...

Would it be possible to install the game on this hard disk, if I manage to make enough space for the game?
Thanks in advance!

(I'll have to buy a PC anyway, but I would like to read up on pre-assembled gaming PCs first and not rush the decision. I would need the PC not only for gaming, but for 3D modeling as well.)
I have a good laptop and am running Early Access fine on high settings from an external hard disk. Know you’re in a different situation, but you may be able to run externally on lower settings with only slightly longer loading screens (not a lot of loading screens anyway because seamless game).

C
C
Originally Posted by Lyelle

Thanks in advance!

I know Windows 10 (probably 11 too) has a migration system allowing you to move folders across drives. Most of the stuff on c outside of windows are programs that defaulted to the boot for installation, plus users and c/program files. I can't imagine any of these would be much of an issue if you put them on the d drive, just not as fast booting and operating obviously.

If you do a google search it runs through how, but just also check any programs you're not sure about (AVG runs on my c drive etc)

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard