Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
KLSLS Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Kotaku uploaded a new video going through character creation, I haven't finished it yet but already saw a few details worth bringing here for discussion, like asmodeus tieflings getting produce flame, and half-elves apparently getting the same set of weapon proficiencies we saw humans were getting.

I will be updating this post to highlight what's new:

- Asmodeus tieflings seem to get produce flame now instead of thaumaturgy, which was shared with zariel tieflings.
- Humans have a second race feature apart from the polearm proficiency set (and light armor?), video shows persuasion proficiency, the icon isn't very telling, but it could mean persuasion proficiency, a floating skill point, or the +20 carry weight we heard about.
- Githyanki have a new racial action, the icon is a book.
- Half-elves seem to get the same weapon proficiencies as humans.
- Drow don't seem to get the dancing lights cantrip at level 1 anymore, half-drows still do.

Full article from Kotaku.

N
old hand
old hand
N
So now I have to wonder what the humans 3 pointed arrow thing is, could it really be the icon for that 20 carry weight boost or whatever? Seems like humans have got the persuasion skill too. I wonder if that 3 arrow thing is the variant human pick a feat?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KLSLS
[...] and half-elves apparently getting the same set of weapon proficiencies we saw humans were getting.
Meh. At the very least, why do half-elves get the same weapon proficiencies as humans, and not some combination of human-weapons and elven-weapons?

And Dwarves get proficiency in Handaxes, Battleaxes, Light Hammers, & Warhammers. This is an even worse set of proficiencies than polearms, as battleaxes & warhammers only get you a single die-size increase compared to simple weapons and no extra weapon properties. Though I suppose Dwarves are losing fewer ASIs than humans, so it makes sense that their "replacement" racial abilities are lesser Edit: They get these profs in tabletop, but they're not really *good* profs.

Last edited by mrfuji3; 18/07/23 09:33 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy who can't read
veteran
veteran
Wow, I know the wait isn't that long, but there's so much we still don't know. Hard to even begin to plan a character build and direction.

I noticed the drow didn't seem to have dancing lights, but the half drow did?

The book for the githyanki might be representative of their extra floating skill point?

KLSLS Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
So now I have to wonder what the humans 3 pointed arrow thing is, could it really be the icon for that 20 carry weight boost or whatever? Seems like humans have got the persuasion skill too. I wonder if that 3 arrow thing is the variant human pick a feat?

Oh, I didn't notice the persuasion proficiency. It might be wishful thinking but those three arrows don't scream +20 carry weight to me, which is what we had heard, hopefully it's something interesting. It could also be that humans don't get persuasion as a racial, and that this feature we don't know allows us to choose a skill proficiency, which might be persuasion by default.

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
And Dwarves get proficiency in Handaxes, Battleaxes, Light Hammers, & Warhammers. This is an even worse set of proficiencies than polearms, as battleaxes & warhammers only get you a single die-size increase compared to simple weapons and no extra weapon properties. Though I suppose Dwarves are losing fewer ASIs than humans, so it makes sense that their "replacement" racial abilities are lesser...

Dwarves already have those proficiencies in EA, I don't think they're getting anything new here.

Originally Posted by JandK
I noticed the drow didn't seem to have dancing lights, but the half drow did?

The book for the githyanki might be representative of their extra floating skill point?

Weird that they'd remove something like that, no clue why they'd do that, a bit disappointing. As for the githyanki feature, it's listed as an action, so I don't think it is a floating skill point.

addict
addict
Meh. At the very least, why do half-elves get the same weapon proficiencies as humans, and not some combination of human-weapons and elven-weapons?

And Dwarves get proficiency in Handaxes, Battleaxes, Light Hammers, & Warhammers. This is an even worse set of proficiencies than polearms, as battleaxes & warhammers only get you a single die-size increase compared to simple weapons and no extra weapon properties. Though I suppose Dwarves are losing fewer ASIs than humans, so it makes sense that their "replacement" racial abilities are lesser...

Dwarves always had proficiency in handaxes, battle axes, and war hammers (along with throwing hammer) in 5E. Nothing has changed in that regard, though we didn't get to see Shield Dwarves...

veteran
veteran
Dwarves already have those proficiencies in EA, I don't think they're getting anything new here.
Originally Posted by Kendaric
Dwarves always had proficiency in handaxes, battle axes, and war hammers (along with throwing hammer) in 5E. Nothing has changed in that regard, though we didn't get to see Shield Dwarves...
Fair, but it'd still be nice if they were given something additional to replace the lost ASI for the Mountain/Shield Dwarf subrace. I suppose as it is unshown, it's still possible they'll get something....but given humans & half-elves it seems unlikely

Last edited by mrfuji3; 18/07/23 08:54 PM.
addict
addict
Fair, but it'd still be nice if they were given something additional to replace the lost ASI for the Mountain/Shield Dwarf subrace. I suppose as it is unshown, it's still possible they'll get something....but given humans & half-elves it seems unlikely

I definitely agree with you there.

I can safely say that I'll wait for a mod that restores the old racials, until then I'll be fooling around in the character creator but not really playing.

old hand
old hand
So... It's actually body type that changes your sex - yet in the Panel from Hell, the body type and gender were separate. I obviously see what's going on, but that was a bit misleading. There's not four body types, there's two for each sex.

On proficiencies - They're terrible anyway. You don't use martial weapons - outside of ranged- unless you're a martial class. I can imagine a non-martial Dwarf having a battleaxe or something, but aside from a Light Cleric how often do you use that? Spend your action on 1d8 Damage? It's not your job to swing your axe. For RP purposes, I suppose a Dwarven Rogue can use handaxes. Well, isn't that awesome.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
So the two most culturally diverse races, Humans and Half-Elves, get trash "military training" Proficiencies that only benefit some weird niche builds like a Str based halberdier Cleric who doesn't already have Martial Weapons. All Monks suddenly using Halberds. All Wizards wearing Studded Leather.

I'd like to ask the devs if they're satisfied with their implementation.

The diversity of those races translates to choice if you ask me. A feat, or some more +1's for ability scores.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
So... It's actually body type that changes your sex - yet in the Panel from Hell, the body type and gender were separate. I obviously see what's going on, but that was a bit misleading. There's not four body types, there's two for each sex.

On proficiencies - They're terrible anyway. You don't use martial weapons - outside of ranged- unless you're a martial class. I can imagine a non-martial Dwarf having a battleaxe or something, but aside from a Light Cleric how often do you use that? Spend your action on 1d8 Damage? It's not your job to swing your axe. For RP purposes, I suppose a Dwarven Rogue can use handaxes. Well, isn't that awesome.

The medium armor is really useful for casters though, other than maybe hand crossbow, it is the best racial equipment proficiency in the game.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
I can only imagine whoever did this was being held at gunpoint and warned if they moused over any of the icons or clicked on the abilities tab they would die.

Mostly just superficial stuff. Very unsatisfying.

Blackheifer
apprentice
apprentice
So no new faces for Tav? I hate when NPC got a faces like my Tav. galeworried

B
old hand
old hand
B
Halflings still unplayable. I can't imagine my Tav looking like THAT!
Maybe a mod will make them less ungainly and ugly.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Originally Posted by rodeolifant

The medium armor is really useful for casters though, other than maybe hand crossbow, it is the best racial equipment proficiency in the game.

This creates the really, really stupid effect of it being optimal to play against type.
Races that are more physical, with a long history of militarism get armor and weapon proficiencies. But if you play a fighter, you get armor and weapon proficiencies anyways. And you only need these features once. So what is the best class for these martial races?
CORRECT!!! Sorcerers and lute playing bards.

Before, the system was limited because noone would play half orc casters because they were suboptimal. And that is annoying. But now, all the casters are shield dwarfs (or githyanki), and all the martials gnomes etc. It is even more annoying to me, the world is even less believable

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Yeah, fair enough. I oddly still think that casting in armor comes at a penalty, but it doesn't.

Originally Posted by Blackheifer
I can only imagine whoever did this was being held at gunpoint and warned if they moused over any of the icons or clicked on the abilities tab they would die.
Mostly just superficial stuff. Very unsatisfying.

This. Times eight point nine.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Just give human +1 to two stats and a free feat, to represent their diversity and ingenuity.
It could all be so easy...

Carrying capacity is such nonsense. WHY does that make sense? What does that have to do with humans?

Last edited by Qoray; 18/07/23 09:47 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Qoray
Just give human +1 to two stats and a free feat, to represent their diversity and ingenuity.
It could all be so easy...

Carrying capacity is such nonsense. WHY does that make sense? What does that have to do with humans?

Apparently every human who wasn't part of some militia was a dockworker or stevedore, so we get increaded carrying capacity wink

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Qoray
Apparently every human who wasn't part of some militia was a dockworker or stevedore, so we get increased carrying capacity wink
This!
LOL!

Last edited by Buba68; 18/07/23 10:05 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Seems they put a lot of effort in to penis and vagina swaping but not much thought in to char creation mechanics, larian missed the ball imo, they all patting em selves on the back for how inclusive they are, yet seem to have forgotten whats important to an actual game.

Get the stats right guys and even better add more ways to customise our stats

I would have much rather had 3/4 different ways to choose stats then all this effort in to genitals, i mean we dont have belts but we got an underwear slot

It all feels so strange.

Finding this lean in to sexuality and away from intresting game mechanics very frustrating

This is.the article im referring too, came with above video + extra

https://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-3-character-creator-races-genitals-options-1850653066

Last edited by Xzoviac; 18/07/23 10:23 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard