Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
veteran
veteran
It's a different world now. For me, I'd much rather have more time spent on NOT-genitalia, but a number of people seem to think it's important, so here we are.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
At the same lvl as having working race traits and attributes? Really?
There are still race traits and attributes.

And yeah when elves are the most popular non human race and Corellon is a deity choice its kind of important yes.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
It's a different world now. For me, I'd much rather have more time spent on NOT-genitalia, but a number of people seem to think it's important, so here we are.
Wondering if there will be sliders for length, girth, and angle.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
There are still race traits and attributes. (You know exactly what I mean and it's not that)

And yeah when elves are the most popular non human race and Corellon is a deity choice its kind of important yes
(That's not why they're popular tho, so no. I'll even go as far as to say most people didn't even know who the elven God is or what set of genitalia he sports).

Originally Posted by Zerubbabel

The people that played at the PFH said you don't, you seem to have 3 vagina options and 5 penis options.

W
veteran
veteran
W

There are just three options for each set of genitals.

Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Seems they put a lot of effort in to penis and vagina swaping but not much thought in to char creation mechanics, larian missed the ball imo, they all patting em selves on the back for how inclusive they are, yet seem to have forgotten whats important to an actual game.

Get the stats right guys and even better add more ways to customise our stats

I would have much rather had 3/4 different ways to choose stats then all this effort in to genitals, i mean we dont have belts but we got an underwear slot

It all feels so strange.

Finding this lean in to sexuality and away from intresting game mechanics very frustrating

This is.the article im referring too, came with above video + extra

https://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-3-character-creator-races-genitals-options-1850653066
I am honestly confused about taking out alignment and how it's supposed to "help with roleplay". My boi. You are literally taking away a big part of roleplay here. Big part of why we choose alignment is to roleplay as that specific character and not only that, but it can be used very well to create a basis for a character and use it for instance to show character growth like in WOTR. For fuck sake.

Also I want to add that I also want to do something like that. My character started as Chaotic Evil. Now is Chaotic Neutral as he tries to become someone better and maybe end up in Chaotic Good as he redeems himself or goes back down to Chaotic Evil because of his vices he can't escape from. Now I can only imagine it.

Last edited by SoulfulAzrael; 18/07/23 11:25 PM.
D
addict
addict
D
Well, polyamory definitely will be convenient with the lizard.

I thought you said polyarmory at first, and it actually made sense in context.

KLSLS Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman

I personally wouldn't care at all if I never got to see my character's genitals, but other people enjoy having these choices, and some players are looking forward to the inclusivity options this game will offer. And my guess is that the team in charge of making these additions is probably not the same team working on other features players like us are more interested in.

I
stranger
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Xzoviac
Seems they put a lot of effort in to penis and vagina swaping but not much thought in to char creation mechanics, larian missed the ball imo, they all patting em selves on the back for how inclusive they are, yet seem to have forgotten whats important to an actual game.

Get the stats right guys and even better add more ways to customise our stats

I would have much rather had 3/4 different ways to choose stats then all this effort in to genitals, i mean we dont have belts but we got an underwear slot

It all feels so strange.

Finding this lean in to sexuality and away from intresting game mechanics very frustrating

This is.the article im referring too, came with above video + extra

https://kotaku.com/baldurs-gate-3-character-creator-races-genitals-options-1850653066

In a game with progression, stats are largely defined by progression - not the starting creator. It would be helpful if you could describe what those "3/4 different ways to choose stats" are. That said, I think the main issue you're talking about isn't stats, it's gear, and for that I would agree that the slots available are quite minimal... but somehow I doubt modeling genitalia was the reason for that. A studio can have different groups of people working on different things, after all - and generally the gear is going to conceal whatever's underneath. Also, unless I'm mistaken, we do actually have a belt slot.

Honestly that whole article reads like the interviewer came at the Larian dev with a ton of baggage and the Larian dev was a bit put off by it, just sort of nodding and smiling with "yes... we want our players to have options" and "yes, because of the way these product development cycles work, I could see a lack of inclusivity being baked in from the start because it's so hard to change later" and the article writer essentially veering into a blog about their baggage with a few bits of BG3 information put on top of it. It's very telling (and very Kotaku) that the "lack of 'black person' hair" cited doesn't mention that the primary reason it was not often included is the same technical reason that any highly curly hairstyle is harder to include: technical limitations of 3D graphics being most compatible with straight or lightly curved hair that can be approximated with layered translucent texture sheets of mostly parallel hair strands. The "all-inclusive" alternative - especially if you want the hair to not be frozen solid - is an impossibly taxing follicle simulation or a struggle to approximate one with POM (which is itself computationally taxing) or other shaders. It is legitimately only quite recently that hardware and rendering software has gotten to the point where it could give curly hair that doesn't... well, look like shit. Seriously, the earliest 3D game hairs were often a solid part of the character's head geometry. Realistic curly hair is a significant technical challenge.

It doesn't really tell me anything about Larian or BG3 except that they seem to have set out to make a character creation system that they and their players would enjoy using, which I can't fault at all. Certainly doesn't seem like a "lean into sexuality" - any moreso than including sex scenes does - and definitely doesn't make me suspect that the character creation options were gained at the expense of "stat customization", since the latter is much, much less technically challenging and can be much more freely altered after release if it is felt to be lacking.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Doomlord
" There are better ways for mages to get a decent Armor Class. For example, Draconic Sorcerers get permanent Mage Armor for free at 1st level, which provides 13 + Dexterity Modifier AC. That's equivalent AC to a Chain Shirt (except the Chain Shirt will only let you apply a maximum Dexterity bonus of +2), and the Chain Shirt costs 50 gp and weighs 20 pounds. If you take a mage with high Dexterity,

then it only gets worse as the armor gets heavier. In addition, any mundane armor heavier than 20 pounds will give you Disadvantage on Stealth checks, and truly heavy armor won't let you apply your Dexterity Modifier at all. Chain, Splint, and Plate Mail all have Strength requirements as well.
Arcane Spell Failure was a complicated and pointless mechanic.

It only served to confuse newbies and slow down the pace of gameplay. Furthermore, the only spellcasters who have access to metamagic (which, aside from magic gear, was the primary way ASF was mitigated) are Sorcerers, which is also the class that needs heavy armor the least. Magic gear is much harder to come by now, so the likelihood of you finding a magic suit of armor made to be light and maneuverable is much more remote, thus removing yet another way of mitigating ASF."

In BG3 you can get a 15AC Medium armor for free by recruiting a single character, liberating your ability scores by needing only 14 Dex to have a 17AC by 2nd level. This lets you boost your Con without hurting your AC and still keep some other attributes above 8 (woohoo!) which is good because you'll probably want your Str at 10.

It is a really good racial ability, but it still sucks that they took the extra attribute point away from them.

Last edited by benbaxter; 18/07/23 11:31 PM.

Back from timeout.
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Originally Posted by Doomlord
" You understand the rules correctly.
It is neither unbalanced nor a departure from D&D tradition.

It is not unabalanced because there are many ways to increase the AC of a Wizard, from Mage Armor to bracers of defense etc. Armor is expensive, and it requires that the wizard invest in both the armor, and the strength to make use of the armor, as well as the strength or dex and int to multiclass in the first place. They will also suffer from a reduced spell progression table, and will be behind others in the party for stat progression. Of course, you'd be better off taking 1 level of wardomain cleric, but the cost of dipping in regards to stat improvements or feats is still there.

It's not a departure from D&D tradition, because in all versions, if you picked the right combinations you could negate the arcane spell failures for all intents and purposes. The only people who missed out were those who lacked the system mastery to create the character concept. On the other hand, the generic wizard always had a hard time casting spells in various types of armor, and in this edition is is not merely difficult, but impossible to do so unless you choose the correct rule combinations, which allows you to do so. A wizard who is only a wizard, can not cast spells in heavy armor as has always been the case."

ASF (Arcane Spell Failure)

Medium armor proficiency is the best racial feature for wizards, warlocks, and sorcerers. In BG3, characters have access to half-plate armor early in the game, which sets base AC to 15. For a modest investment of 14 DEX, you can maximize your primary spellcasting ability and CON while still having an AC of 17. You’ll even have a few points left over for other abilities. Mage armor cannot match that. You would need a DEX of 18 to get an AC of with mage armor.

I don’t think it was an accident that all of the 5E races that were given medium armor proficiency did not have a +2 bonus to any primary spell casting ability.

Last edited by Kind_Flayer; 18/07/23 11:52 PM.
old hand
old hand
That genitalia customization is important for not just irl inclusion but for in game inclusion as well.
Oh, by Helm. I didn't consider that You just might romance someone and find something you did not expect. My game will be safe for all ages, just in case. I don't want to know.

Originally Posted by SoulfulAzrael
I am honestly confused about taking out alignment and how it's supposed to "help with roleplay". My boi. You are literally taking away a big part of roleplay here.
Now that I don't mind at all. One can play a character as any aignment one desires, it needn't be on the character sheet for that. Regardless - that is a 5E thing, not necessarily a BG3 thing.

Originally Posted by KLSLS
I personally wouldn't care at all if I never got to see my character's genitals, but other people enjoy having these choices, and some players are looking forward to the inclusivity options this game will offer. And my guess is that the team in charge of making these additions is probably not the same team working on other features players like us are more interested in.

Judging by the most downloaded mods for Skyrim, most everyone wants nudity in games. And yeah, if you can model a Dragonborn face that's rigged for in-engine use and can support a variety of textures, a few private parts is hardly a chore. I am now wondering if the Dragonhorn is scaled, too.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Warlocke

THIS IS BULLSHIT

WE DEMAND MORE GENITAL SLIDERS

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
N
old hand
old hand
N
Fextralife did claim that bears existed was carefully orchestrated the day before.

Swen is as shrewd as Elminster, he knows what gamers at our core want.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 12:00 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Dragonborn can have tails in this game, Dragonborn never had tails in D&D, that's usually reserved for Half Dragons which look like Dragonborn with tails.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by Warlocke

THIS IS BULLSHIT

WE DEMAND MORE GENITAL SLIDERS
yeah, where is the both option?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf
Dragonborn can have tails in this game, Dragonborn never had tails in D&D, that's usually reserved for Half Dragons which look like Dragonborn with tails.
Dragonborn can have tails in 5e but it's rarer.

I believe the critical roll ones have tails

L
L
I have to admit that everything I really wanted to see on a character creation video they completely ignored. All of my biggest current questions are about ability points:

Is a 27-point buy the only option or can we go with 24 or 29 points or some other number if we prefer?
Can we roll for stats, or is it just point buy?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lemurion
I have to admit that everything I really wanted to see on a character creation video they completely ignored. All of my biggest current questions are about ability points:

Is a 27-point buy the only option or can we go with 24 or 29 points or some other number if we prefer?
Can we roll for stats, or is it just point buy?

Its 27 point, with +1 +2 floating and you can't roll for stats.

Blackheifer
enthusiast
enthusiast
There are still race traits and attributes. (You know exactly what I mean and it's not that)

And yeah when elves are the most popular non human race and Corellon is a deity choice its kind of important yes
(That's not why they're popular tho, so no. I'll even go as far as to say most people didn't even know who the elven God is or what set of genitalia he sports).

The people that played at the PFH said you don't, you seem to have 3 vagina options and 5 penis options.
More genital shapes then body shapes lmao

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard