Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Originally Posted by etonbears
Originally Posted by ToLazy4Name
Originally Posted by TheAscendent
So what precisely is the benefit of playing a Half-Elf or Human?
There isn't one unless you're using a build that wants those new innate proficiencies while also not getting them from your class. If you're not doing that, there is essentially no reason to pick a human or half-elf over a regular elf, outside of RP reasons of course.

Similarly, I seen no evidence that you can roll for character attributes (per PHB), which to me is an essential option for developing interesting D&D characters, particularly when rolling attributes in order, and designing the best RP you can from that. I particularly dislike the point-buy system in 5e/BG3 where you cannot reach extremities for the attributes; give me 3-18 any day.

Swen confirmed on stream today that rolling for stats is not in the game.

addict
addict
LARIAN PLEASE!! Give us OPTIONS.

Gameplay settings >
Racial attribute bonuses: ON/OFF
Multiclassing stats limits: ON/OFF

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 23/07/23 10:41 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by ToLazy4Name
Originally Posted by Uacari
Maybe I should have the right to play BG3 only with traditional races...see my point ?!
No, I don't. Requesting that the PHB ruleset that has been in use for the past 3 years be kept in as an option because it is already implemented and many people prefer it is not the same as requesting that the entire game be rewritten and redesigned, if you mean literally getting rid of all NPCs that aren't a "traditional" race. If you mean just playing as a "traditional" race then you can do that by picking one, nothing is hindering your ability to play how you want, unlike in our situation where what we want is literally unavailable. Your analogy isn't very applicable.

Wow, you clearly did not understand my argument.

Nevermind - I notice no matter what I write, you will not get it.

But your argument of saying I can play with traditional races just by picking them also applies to you - you can still play with whichever race you want. and most races will still get their typical racial adjustments, simply by picking them exactly as they were before. The Half-Elf only lost one ability point... will that really make you choose another race ?! come on... if you find a HAlf-Elf cool, play with one!

AS for the Human, I agree, Larian made it a bit harder for people to play Humans with balance.

Still...I remember playing D&D 2E rules years ago... I found it strange that only Humans could dual class; also, I mostly had to play a Half-Elf multiclass..because of severe level restrictions.

At that time we pretty much had to choose Human and Half-Elf for at least 2 out of 6 party members...if not more.
I bet 4 out of 6 characters were either Human, Elf or Half-Elf.

Still, in Baldur´s Gate 1 and 2 I built the party I was allowed to...and enjoyed both games.

in some ways, I feel Larian went the opposite way - they want less Humans and Half-Elves in the parties...much less than in Baldur´s Gate 1 and 2.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Uacari
Nevermind - I notice no matter what I write, you will not get it.
Same.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Humans will always be the most popular choice barring something completely unforseen. Followed by elves and half elves dince they look the most human. Dwarves also grab a sizeable chunk of the fantasy including me because of their historical stature. Most other races will almost always remain fringe in fantasy games.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Volourn
Humans will always be the most popular choice barring something completely unforseen. Followed by elves and half elves dince they look the most human. Dwarves also grab a sizeable chunk of the fantasy including me because of their historical stature. Most other races will almost always remain fringe in fantasy games.
I dont know man Tieflings and faun's tabaxi and dragonborn seem more popular than elves, certainly more popular than dwarfs

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 24/07/23 05:34 AM.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard