Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Slapstick
By the rules Paladins don't need a God, but every... single... person... playing D&D picks a god for their Paladin. Being a Paladin joining the wall of the faithless is just headachingly stupid and no one plays that way.

* I know someone will come and say "I do!" Well a great big bears hug to you!
What are you talking about? Paladins don't need to choose a god to be a paladin.

I'm pretty sure they do worship a god, just like your avarage joe tending to the fields somewhere, but it can stay smething private from them not a necessity to carry out their duty.

There are a few people in the whole Realms who willingly don't worship any god because, as you mentioned, not doing it is... well, 'stupid'.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
All you'd need to do to accomodate paladins of specific gods is to allow them access to certain dialogue choices and reactions based on their god. It's not demanding much more than would be demanded from a cleric.

Speaking about 5e as a whole, my opinion has long been that they decoupled paladins from explicit religions because they felt it went without saying. They understood that 90% of players would still give their paladin a religion because they understood that it's just how it goes that players give all their characters patron gods as part of character creation. They simply changed this up to allow for a bit more openness for those who wanted to play edge cases and provide some inspiration to stoke those more unique ideas. the problem with BG3 is that they don't allow anyone other than clerics to choose gods. (which by the way is something that Wrath of the Righteous managed to do without issue, including bits of reactivity all through the game depending on what god or religion you chose)

But the issue we have with not being able to pick is that our deity is important for RP purposes. If we get to a point where our deity or their rival is important then not being able to bring it up is as off putting as clerics not being able to bring it up

veteran
veteran
I do agree with you there. I absolutely think Paladins should be able to pick a deity, (even though my one paladin concept is agnostic about deity) and it's a shame that they can't.

veteran
veteran
I'm also firmly in the camp of wanting my paladin to be able to have a deity. But I agree completely with the broader point of any custom PC being able to pick a deity, and to have some dialogue and world reactivity from their choice. Choice of deity ought to be treated just like any other demographic choice in the game such as race or background.

H
apprentice
apprentice
H
I don't really see the harm in providing people a option at least. The work is already done with cleric tags.

Originally Posted by Hyde
I don't really see the harm in providing people a option at least. The work is already done with cleric tags.
Exactly. Unless there's some deeper interactions with the Cleric's class features we don't know about, it shouldn't be a big deal to copy this feature over to the Paladin.

T
T
Given the setting of Forgotten Realms and what happened regarding god intervening. I think every class should be able to pick a god.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Takamori
Given the setting of Forgotten Realms and what happened regarding god intervening. I think every class should be able to pick a god.
In the setting of forgotten realms most people are polythestic. Picking one god's to devote too isn't common at all.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 17/07/23 03:55 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
In the setting of forgotten realms most people are polythestic. Picking one go's to devote too isn't common at all.
Oh indeed given the many aspect the various gods assume, of course exception with tyrannical deities that you will only worship them and thats it (Bane, Cyrric etc)

N
old hand
old hand
N
In the setting of forgotten realms most people are polythestic. Picking one go's to devote too isn't common at all.
Oh indeed given the many aspect the various gods assume, of course exception with tyrannical deities that you will only worship them and thats it (Bane, Cyrric etc)
Even then iirc Thay I'd the only place that exclusivly worships bane

T
T
Well they need a pool of followers or they are candidates to simply die and cease existence. Have that nice chat with Ao probably.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Actually, in the Realms, while most people may give short prayers and thanks to multiple gods in various pantheons (like giving a short prayer to Umberlee when going out into the ocean), the vast majority of people tend to have a favored god or goddess. And, for afterlife reasoning (even though it may have been changed), there is good reason.

addict
addict
In the setting of forgotten realms most people are polythestic. Picking one god's to devote too isn't common at all.

It is rather common to have a patron deity in Faerûn while still praying to varying gods for specific endeavors. A thief who worships Mask might still offer a prayer to Beshaba to avert misfortune on a heist. Most sailors utter a quick prayer to Umberlee before going on a sea voyage, despite their actual patron deities.
Having a patron or favored deity doesn't mean someone is ignoring the rest of the pantheon.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, that sounds right to me. As I was planning out my first playthrough character I realized it would make the most sense for her to not have a single patron deity but to sort of focus on Helm, Ilmaeter and Hoar, just because of what she wants to do and aims to do in her day to day adventuring life. Ironically she's a chaotic good folk hero type but all three of those gods are lawful. It's just they're the gods focused on protecting the weak, watching over people and getting payback, which are all things she's very focused on.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Actually, in the Realms, while most people may give short prayers and thanks to multiple gods in various pantheons (like giving a short prayer to Umberlee when going out into the ocean), the vast majority of people tend to have a favored god or goddess. And, for afterlife reasoning (even though it may have been changed), there is good reason.
I was going to post this same thing. smile

L
addict
addict
L
It was even further along than that. In the datamines paladins already had their unique deity-aligned lines already written out and ready to go for EA, but they scrapped it all for some reason when Paladin came out. Every deity had their own paladin-specific lines too-it looked great.

The weird dialogue in certain places of EA regarding Zariel's fallen paladins, or where your paladin mentions serving a goddess are the remains of all that hard work larian did that they weren't able to fully scrub out.

addict
addict
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

My Oath of the Ancients paladin sworn to Sune is much different than a friends who is sworn to Sylvanus.
Much different. And lets just say that the immunity to disease comes in real handy when my guy was protecting and experiencing the beauty of humanity it all its forms.

Back from timeout.
Originally Posted by Leucrotta
It was even further along than that. In the datamines paladins already had their unique deity-aligned lines already written out and ready to go for EA, but they scrapped it all for some reason when Paladin came out. Every deity had their own paladin-specific lines too-it looked great.

The weird dialogue in certain places of EA regarding Zariel's fallen paladins, or where your paladin mentions serving a goddess are the remains of all that hard work larian did that they weren't able to fully scrub out.

They even had unique lines that were different from the Cleric lines? Real shame that they scrapped this.

L
addict
addict
L
Yeah, IIRC you can see some of them in one of the old Chubblot videos. They have unique lines. Which is pretty remarkable, because for the most part they probably could have gotten away with just copying them.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Nerovar
Originally Posted by Leucrotta

They even had unique lines that were different from the Cleric lines? Real shame that they scrapped this.
Have a feeling it MIGHT have something to do with OneDnD and WOTC if it was already ready.

EDIT:
Or is it Dnd ONE? I have no idea and I am not an expert, just an inferrer.

Last edited by Zerubbabel; 18/07/23 11:05 PM.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard