Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
apprentice
apprentice
My question is if the 150 GB includes the 70-80 we already have downloaded if we're on EA.

"This woman has come in contact with Tokyo's manga. She is Unclean and would lead we righteous ones astray."
addict
addict
Originally Posted by CerusSerenade
My question is if the 150 GB includes the 70-80 we already have downloaded if we're on EA.

I dont work for Larian, so this is not official, But yes I see that 150 GB will be whats needed total for the full game. EA will be wiped. August 3rd will be a fresh install of the entire game.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
S
S
Originally Posted by Alodar
Just an FYI for those who might have to adapt their current rig:

You will need 150 GB of available space and an SSD is required.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1086940/Baldurs_Gate_3/

GeForce NOW is also an option for those who can't update.

Can somebody brief me what is the difference between the EA requirements and the current requirements?

I do use a suboptimal video card (NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti) but the game runs acceptably well for an EA (and yes, I do have SSD).

Honestly, I expected the requirements to slightly go down compared to the EA but I can live with it (I hope, lol)

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 17/07/23 08:51 PM.
S
S
Sorry for the double post... but should all those 150 GB be on the SSD?

I know it is a stupid question but...

L
L
Originally Posted by Doomlord

I dont work for Larian, so this is not official, But yes I see that 150 GB will be whats needed total for the full game. EA will be wiped. August 3rd will be a fresh install of the entire game.

Personally I freed up 200 GB in addition to my current EA install just in case. My own expectation is that they're more likely to do an update/patch method than a complete wipe just because it doesn't make sense to make people re-download things like textures when they don't have to.

L
L
Originally Posted by Scales & Fangs

That 150 GB should all be in the same volume of the same drive--ideally your SSD.

S
S
Originally Posted by Lemurion

That 150 GB should all be in the same volume of the same drive--ideally your SSD.

Well that creates a number of challenges as yes, I have an SSD but I do not have 150 GB on my SSD at the moment. I might need to relocate files.

I did not have this problem with EA as it was in my /D disk .

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 17/07/23 09:15 PM.
L
L

Well that creates a number of challenges as yes, I have an SSD but I do not have 150 GB on my SSD at the moment. I might need to relocate files.

If the game runs now from your D:\ drive you can always make sure you have 150 GB free on that drive to run the upgrade and then set up a Steam Library on your SSD and move the game over if it turns out you do have the space available. I have a bunch of drives on this system and am always moving games around.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Doomlord

Personally I freed up 200 GB in addition to my current EA install just in case. My own expectation is that they're more likely to do an update/patch method than a complete wipe just because it doesn't make sense to make people re-download things like textures when they don't have to.

Nice, sounds good. Ill have uninstalled EA by then. It will all be fresh for me.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
S
S

If the game runs now from your D:\ drive you can always make sure you have 150 GB free on that drive to run the upgrade and then set up a Steam Library on your SSD and move the game over if it turns out you do have the space available. I have a bunch of drives on this system and am always moving games around.

Or I might just run it on my D disc (plenty of space there). EA ran very smoothly. My video card is a bit under the minimum requirements but the rest of the system (like 16 Mb of RAM) is at or not far from the recommended requirements (definitely above the minimum). Otherwise, that means I will have like 2/3 of my SSD filled only with BG3

If it does not work, then I will think.

I can't remember if I can add memory to the SSD of my laptop (yes, I am gaming on a laptop as I like to have it all on one computer).

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 17/07/23 09:40 PM.
veteran
veteran
Got a new SSD so I should now be ready for August 3rd!😊

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you for your help, Zerubbabel and crashdaddy!

I just found out that I can upgrade my internal hard disks and use a second SSD instead of my HDD, and I can also upgrade my RAM. But I don't know whether it is still worth the costs, because the laptop is already almost five years old.

So using an external SSD hard disk or moving folders from C to D might be the better (and less expensive) solution for my first game.

Out of curiosity, I recall hearing that they'll just update the game and we won't need to do a full reinstall--but does anyone know that for sure? Wondering if I should do a clean install or if it even matters.

veteran
veteran
I used to play on Stadia until they ripped the carpet out from under my feet.

I literally had to go out and buy a new PC just to play this game.

The Cost of Playing Baldur's Gate:

$60 for the game.
$2,000 for the computer.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by JandK
I used to play on Stadia until they ripped the carpet out from under my feet.

I literally had to go out and buy a new PC just to play this game.

The Cost of Playing Baldur's Gate:

$60 for the game.
$2,000 for the computer.
Literally the same thing happened to me except I had to get a laptop because I’m really mobile right now and can’t use a desktop.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lyelle

I just found out that I can upgrade my internal hard disks and use a second SSD instead of my HDD, and I can also upgrade my RAM. But I don't know whether it is still worth the costs, because the laptop is already almost five years old.

So using an external SSD hard disk or moving folders from C to D might be the better (and less expensive) solution for my first game.

Just a warning, steam is finnicky sometimes with external hard drives and games. I've had no problems for a long time, and then nothing but grief for some games, so your mileage may vary.

L
L

If you want to replace the existing HDD, a 500 GB SATA SSD could be swapped in for about 20-25 bucks so it's not really a big investment. You could also move said drive to a desktop later.

veteran
veteran

If you want to replace the existing HDD, a 500 GB SATA SSD could be swapped in for about 20-25 bucks so it's not really a big investment. You could also move said drive to a desktop later.

Also, if you're looking to clone an existing drive, say if it has your operating system on it and can't easily reinstall it, an application called "Macrium Reflect" works very well. It's technically a paid software, but there is a free trial that turns into a limited free edition once the trial is over. I recently replaced my dying ssd with my OS on it, and it was painless.

Last edited by Boblawblah; 18/07/23 12:18 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Xurtan
Out of curiosity, I recall hearing that they'll just update the game and we won't need to do a full reinstall--but does anyone know that for sure? Wondering if I should do a clean install or if it even matters.

Can't be sure, but usually the switch from early access to full release is more like a big patch for most games. BG3 is a different beast of course, but depending on how the files are structured and packed the "update" should be smaller than a full download. It was like this with the last early access games i played (Wartales for example). But steam or gog will handle that for you smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you for your help, Boblawblah and Lemurion!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard