N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Ehm ... what exactly is the buff again? O_o
Because a 17 is 1 asi from a +4 meaning they can now dip into a half feat for free essentially. Ir pick up one of the quest related asi boosts to get +4 without any feat use at all
While 16 is exactly 1 ASI from a +4 ...
And as you get +1 to everything, you can set your secondary (no change here), tertiary, quaternary, and quinary ability scores to odd numbers, and get better results in general.

So ... nope, still not seeing the buff. O_o

I can understand there are certain builds that dont care about anything but single Score ... not sure if i would call them good builds, but that is matter of taste.
And i totally understand that in theese VERY SPECIFIC cases, it may seem at first sight as better choice ...

But that hardly makes it straight forward pure buff. laugh

You may say "yay i have my feat" ... and you indeed have it ...
Over the cost of worse spell DC and worse saving throws ... or lower HP and worse Constitution saving throws, affecting both your concentration holding and your resistance against certain spells.

I can see this being matter of priorities ...
But i just cant find the buff there. :-/
Yes but you lose out on the half feat if you go the full asi. Not to mention if you take the asi and get a+1 through quests you will be at a +5 so it's a buff either way
Originally Posted by ToLazy4Name
wider audience
The wider audience isn't a factor as I'm not advocating for the removal of the new system. I want an optional toggle to go back to the old system. There are no wider audience concerns here, this would be a win for everyone.
It kind of is, especially depending on how larian codes this it could be an easy swap, it also might be a mix of spaghetti code. Even if it's easy to do it further complicates character creation to appease a small pool of players

Take pathfinder wotr for example. You put most gamers into that character creation and tell easily get overwhelmed and turned off. There's dozens of posts of players who picked core difficulty and got destroyed.

Mods will hopefully be able to help you guys out but it's understandable if larian doesn't want to include a toggle.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 06:47 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
It's a really huge systems change last minute to alter racial attributes at the last minute after a 3 year beta. For a lot of people BG 3 is the first chance to play full scale Dnd so using existing 5E rules should at last be an option.

I dont know if the stuff with humans getting Polearms and extra carrying capacity is true or not- but I sure hope not. I can always play with a mod of course- so this won't ruin my fun but we shouldn't have to get a mod to fix this.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Sarak
It's a really huge systems change last minute to alter racial attributes at the last minute after a 3 year beta. For a lot of people BG 3 is the first chance to play full scale Dnd so using existing 5E rules should at last be an option.

I dont know if the stuff with humans getting Polearms and extra carrying capacity is true or not- but I sure hope not. I can always play with a mod of course- so this won't ruin my fun but we shouldn't have to get a mod to fix this.
Bg3 isn't a tabletop simulator, and never tried to be one, also these changes come right out of tabletop anyway.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 06:53 PM.
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
This is what people who 'get destroyed' should be gently told: Learn the game. It's okay not to be some sort of mastermind when yiu start out. This us true for anything we do.

When one starts a new job, it's not expect they be perfect or as goods someone with 1o years experience

When someone starts playing sports like basketball we dont expect to be MJ or LBJ.

Someone who starts playing chess us not expected to be the equal of masters.

Tale the time to learn the system and game. That's what I've done with every new dnd player I've introduced to the gane for 3+ decades. I dodnt dumb it down or dehumanize them. I treated them like they had the ability to learn things.

Sadly, gaming seems to be the only place where 'dumbing down' or treating customers like thiy can't think or learn is acceptable. Seems weird to them. If someone chooses to buy and play a dnd game they clearly stated they want to learn it so let them learn it.

Last edited by Volourn; 19/07/23 07:38 PM.
veteran
veteran
Yes but you lose out on the half feat if you go the full asi. Not to mention if you take the asi and get a+1 through quests you will be at a +5 so it's a buff either way
Except in order to get this buff ... you need to give up the first supposed buff, and follow very certain kind of character.

Nope.
Sory, not sory ...

This allready got to spot, where is too much "if"s to be still concidered reasonable.

If you like it ... all power to you.
I dont, and i believe i have made myself clear enough with my reasons.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Volourn
This is what people who 'get destroyed' should be gently told: Learn the game. It's okay not to be some sort of mastermind when yiu start old. This us true for anything we do.

When one starts a new job, it's not expect they be perfect or as goods someone with 1o years experience

When someone starts playing sports like basketball we dont expect to be MJ or LBJ.

Someone who starts playing chess us not expected to be the equal of masters.

Tale the time to learn the system and game. That's what I've done with every new dnd player I've introduced to the gane for 3+ decades. I dodnt dumb it down or dehumanize them. I treated them like they had the ability to learn things.

Sadly, gaming seems to be the only place where 'dumbing down' or treating customers like thiy can't think or learn is acceptable. Seems weird to them. If someone chooses to buy and play a dnd game they clearly stated they want to learn it so let them learn it.
Theres a reason swen has had the character creator made simpler. Simplicity and intuitively are good things.

Clutter and over complicated menus especially in a historically intimidating genre isn't exactly a good thing.

Theres a real opportunity cost to adding toggles like this especially when you are trying to get mainstream appeal, the more streamlined you are the better typically.

S
stranger
stranger
S

Bg3 isn't a tabletop simulator, and never tried to be one, also these changes come right out of tabletop anyway.
Where is there extra human carrying capacity and polearm in tabletop rules?

N
old hand
old hand
N

The floating asi's come right out of Tasha's

S
stranger
stranger
S

Tashas doesn't have anything to do with Polearm skills for humans. Cuz us humans have always had a special affinity for polearms and leather.

Which itself is an optional rule, an optional rule that split the D&D 5E community straight down the middle at the very least. Most prefer both systems in tabletop, being able to choose between them. A huge amount of DMs and players inluding me prefer the original default rule. It should prolly be said that most DMs prefer the default rule btw. Whilst a lot of players (majority of them relatively new), like the extra customizability.

The implementation of Tashas by Larian is either a decision pressed on them by WotC or theyve done it to "streamline" the character creator as many here claim.
The ironic thing is that the +2/+1 system means you need to make more choices in allocating and is actually more complicated in some ways. IF the aim was to make character creation the easiest, then the defualt system is, seeing as its set and you dont need to allocate additional modifiers...

I hope they opt in the default system at least as an option.
A relatively easy compromise would be to combine them. That is to say keep default rules for Dwarves, Half Elves and Humans and alternative for rest. Or Default Human, and new system with rest except Shield Dwarf get +2/+2 and Half Elves get +2/+1/+1. Or some alternative method that facilitates old and new system.

The rest of the races most of us have no problem with, simply because we can allocate the ability modifiers to the stats that correspond with the default system, (the racial ability score bonus numbers themselves being unchanged for those).

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

addict
addict

Actually.... if they had in fact taken the Tasha's Cauldron rule, they'd given us variant human. Since variant human is the default human under Tasha's, is it not?
Also, I might be mistaken of course as I never bought the book, but doesn't Tasha's give a free level 1 feat to everyone?

Last edited by Kendaric; 19/07/23 07:28 PM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by ToLazy4Name
wider audience
The wider audience isn't a factor as I'm not advocating for the removal of the new system. I want an optional toggle to go back to the old system. There are no wider audience concerns here, this would be a win for everyone.
There actually is wider audience to concider ...

One group are people who want old system ...
Another group are people who want new system ...
And third group (probably bigest one, since it contains many people from both previous groups) are people who want both.

So i would totally appeal on wider audience!
Its just that its argument in your favour, rather than against it. laugh
The wider audience doesn't even know what we're are talking about, but they definitely won't want their human wizard being gimped from the start.

Imagine if Asmongold realizes he can't get 17 str on his human fighter. Imagine Asmongold's chat. That's the wider audience. Punishing casuals for playing they way they want is always a bad idea.

Elden ring botw there's a reason these games are so huge. Casuals can drop in and play however they want.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 07:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
So if they made floating stats (if that's what they're called), why not make racial bonuses completely floating then? No unique bonuses, just a list of stuff we can choose with whatever race we want. Why can't Dragonborn get polearms? Why not give Elves 20 kg extra carry weight?

I guess I don't really understand the current system, it seems like a half step towards being able to choose whatever you want.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Floating stats dirsnt simplify things since the new player now has to.make a more complex choices. Before it was of you are a dwarf you got +2 con now you get +2 to whatever. What if the new player is 'dumb' like some thinkand they make a wizard but give the +2 to strength which doesnt help a mage as much bit +2 con. Hmm... So, thry change, supposedly made fir newbs, actually makes it more likely to screw up. on reality, the change was made because races are now seen as 'bad' so certain groups want to eliminate or downplay them and the differences. This is just the start.

A dwarf is not a human is not a half orc is not an elf.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
So if they made floating stats (if that's what they're called), why not make racial bonuses completely floating then? No unique bonuses, just a list of stuff we can choose with whatever race we want. Why can't Dragonborn get polearms? Why not give Elves 20 kg extra carry weight?

I guess I don't really understand the current system, it seems like a half step towards being able to choose whatever you want.

Proficiency bonuses are diffrent than main stats, but yes there is an argument for everything to be floating. That's basically what the linnage systems wotc is testing are.

Also see pathfinder 2e

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 07:50 PM.
veteran
veteran
Wich is not what we get ...

Personaly i would have no problem with Tasha's ... since that actually allow to recreate character any way you want ... wich this system dont, and that is EXACTLY core of the problem here.

The wider audience doesn't even know what we're are talking about
Sometimes i feel like they are not the only one ...

Luckily for them, they dont need to. wink
They only need to see on their character creation screen that there is alternative ... and simply pick.

Imagine if Asmongold realizes he can't get 17 str on his human fighter.
And why exactly he couldnt? O_o
I try to rephrase it ...

- You get B-O-T-H

- In other words:
You have 15 - 15 - 15 - 8 - 8 - 8
Want to make it 17 - 15 - 16 - 8 - 8 - 8 ? You can.
Want to make it 16 - 16 - 16 - 9 - 9 - 9 ? You can.

Comprende?

N
old hand
old hand
N
Wich is not what we get ...

Personaly i would have no problem with Tasha's ... since that actually allow to recreate character any way you want ... wich this system dont, and that is EXACTLY core of the problem here.

The wider audience doesn't even know what we're are talking about
Sometimes i feel like they are not the only one ...

Luckily for them, they dont need to. wink
They only need to see on their character creation screen that there is alternative ... and simply pick.

Imagine if Asmongold realizes he can't get 17 str on his human fighter.
And why exactly he couldnt? O_o
I try to rephrase it ...

- You get B-O-T-H

- In other words:
You have 15 - 15 - 15 - 8 - 8 - 8
Want to make it 17 - 15 - 16 - 8 - 8 - 8 ? You can.
Want to make it 16 - 16 - 16 - 9 - 9 - 9 ? You can.

Comprende?
But again you have the opportunity cost of adding that menu toggle which is just going to add confusion for most people. I'm not saying larian still won't do that, but adding the toggle has a price.

Everything they've done from adding pictures to having the classes do animations at selection is about making things as streamlined and intuitive as possible.

For probably 95% of this game's targeted market a tool tips asking them what asi method they want to use will be utter gibberish that will only confuse them, in a time window, where larian wants to hook the most amount of players as much as possible.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 08:23 PM.
veteran
veteran
Thats nothing more than a guess tho.

And you are contradicting yourself again ...
If Larian's goal is to "hook the most amount of players" ... then their goal should logicaly be to "please the most amount of players" ... therefore, give those players what they want.

By excluding one option, they only asure that one group will be angry.
That dont bring any benefit. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 19/07/23 08:31 PM.

N
old hand
old hand
N

If Larian's goal is to "hook the most amount of players" ... then their goal should logicaly be to "please the most amount of players" ... therefore, give those players what they want.

The people who even know what asi's are are probably a small minority of their targeted consumer base. The people who care enough about this to want the old style a fraction of that fraction.

This isnt a simple do it and make everyone happy thing. There's probably an Email chain out there talking about the opportunity costs of all this and of what will appeal to the most.

In all likelihood they'd probably loose sales by adding a toggle and thus adding another decision/clutter to the character creation ui.

Larin told us most players ran a default basic looking human fighter tav. Anything that slows down these players headlong rush into vanilla tavdom is going to have a negative impact on engagement.

Yall deserve to be happy, you do, but there's a good chance some data analyst the math and realized adding a toggle will make less people happy.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 19/07/23 08:42 PM.

The people who even know what asi's are are probably a small minority of their targeted consumer base. The people who care enough about this to want the old style a fraction of that fraction.

This isnt a simple do it and make everyone happy thing. There's probably an Email chain out there talking about the opportunity costs of all this and of what will appeal to the most.

In all likelihood they'd probably loose sales by adding a toggle and thus adding another decision/clutter to the character creation ui.

Larin told us most players ran a default basic looking human fighter tav. Anything that slows down these players headlong rush into vanilla tavdom is going to have a negative impact on engagement.

Yall deserve to be happy, you do, but there's a good chance some data analyst the math and realized adding a toggle will make less people happy.

Ehm, Im pretty sure the number of consumers who have played D&D will be a huge one. Those are your baseline customers from the getgo.

Anyway, if most players rush through the character creator to play a human fighter, then the default system from the PHB for Racial ability bonuses is the easiest one. No allocating, its already buildt in.
Correct me if Im wrong, but with the current system you have to allocate the +2/+1 yourself no? Or is it automatically allocated to the main ability score(s) for your class?

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard