Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RollToForget
My current theory for if you choose to max out your Illithid powers is that you could end up turning into an Elder Brain. From what we see in the beginning of the game it looks like the Mindflayers on the ship are in a rush to reproduce and even have tech on board to speed up the process. Maybe they just needed more crew to man the ship or maybe the Githyanki attacks have pushed far enough into the Mindflayers' territory as to endanger the Elder Brain commanding them.

It would make sense then if the Guardian is actually the Elder Brain coaxing you along the path needed to become its successor. It wouldn't really be lying then for it to say it's protecting you as maybe in order for someone to skip along the Illithid lifecycle - from tadpole directly to Elder Brain - they first need to cultivate a great deal of psionic ability.

At the very least I think this would be pretty neat!
That's not how elder brains work at all. The way elder brains are created is more complicated. On average between 1 and 4% of successful ceremorphosis transformations become Ulitharids, they are essentially mind flayers that are about 1 foot taller, smarter, and have 6 tentacles vs the 4 of the usual mind flayer. Ulitharids then go on to live in a mind flayer colony in service to an elder brain. After a time one of the ulitharids can choose to take part of the colony away with him and set up a different colony elsewhere and at that point the Ulitharid extracts his own brain from his body and places it in a brine pool and from there the rest of the new colony takes care to feed the new elder brain so it can grow. But this is a rare occurrence. Most Ulitharids do not form new colonies or become elder brains.

Now in a highly unusual circumstance like this where a large amount of mind flayers came into existence without an elder brain to lead them, they would presumably be led by the Ulitharids among them and some of those Ulitharids would in time go on to become elder brains but that would take time it would not happen overnight and in the chaos the new Ulitharids would also not have necessary psionic black metal staves necessary for the process of extracting their brains, and the brine pools would need to be set up, etc.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 21/07/23 04:17 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by RollToForget
My current theory for if you choose to max out your Illithid powers is that you could end up turning into an Elder Brain. From what we see in the beginning of the game it looks like the Mindflayers on the ship are in a rush to reproduce and even have tech on board to speed up the process. Maybe they just needed more crew to man the ship or maybe the Githyanki attacks have pushed far enough into the Mindflayers' territory as to endanger the Elder Brain commanding them.

It would make sense then if the Guardian is actually the Elder Brain coaxing you along the path needed to become its successor. It wouldn't really be lying then for it to say it's protecting you as maybe in order for someone to skip along the Illithid lifecycle - from tadpole directly to Elder Brain - they first need to cultivate a great deal of psionic ability.

At the very least I think this would be pretty neat!
That's not how elder brains work at all. The way elder brains are created is more complicated. On average between 1 and 4% of successful ceremorphosis transformations become Ulitharids, they are essentially mind flayers that are about 1 foot taller, smarter, and have 6 tentacles vs the 4 of the usual mind flayer. Ulitharids then go on to live in a mind flayer colony in service to an elder brain. After a time one of the ulitharids can choose to take part of the colony away with him and set up a different colony elsewhere and at that point the Ulitharid extracts his own brain from his body and places it in a brine pool and from there the rest of the new colony takes care to feed the new elder brain so it can grow. But this is a rare occurrence. Most Ulitharids do not form new colonies or become elder brains.

Now in a highly unusual circumstance like this where a large amount of mind flayers came into existence without an elder brain to lead them, they would presumably be led by the Ulitharids among them and some of those Ulitharids would in time go on to become elder brains but that would take time it would not happen overnight and in the chaos the new Ulitharids would also not have necessary psionic black metal staves necessary for the process of extracting their brains, and the brine pools would need to be set up, etc.

Someone's been reading the Illithiad.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by IdPreferNotTo
It's irrelevant whether or not they warn you about the consequences. They push the fetish content onto the player simply by devoting so much of the player choice and narrative to it...
This makes literally zero sense. Aside from the fact it's not a "fetish" as you keep insisting on calling it, and the fact that if you don't engage with that path you'll hardly ever see it at all, the fact it exists is not the same as it being pushed on anybody. You have more than enough choice to play the game without ever touching that aspect. That path isn't even 10% of the game.

Nah.... the first or second trailer infection scene, the decision to embody the tadpole as a your sexy dream companion, the choice of VA casting, the plethora of other non-consensual d/s topic matter in the game etc... the body horror thematic is clearly treated as a fetish in the storyline. Which, like I've said before, would be fine, if it wasn't so badly/invasively implemented into the game.

Given that chapter 1 is only 25% of the full game, I suppose I could agree with you that this... particular content only makes up about 10% of the game, and could be ignored, if they'd given us the option to remove the tadpole from the pc/npc characters in the first chapter, and if the pivotal choices in the main plot in the future chapters doesn't revolve around whether or not you further(knowingly or unwittingly) the goals of the absolute or not. But I doubt they're going to actually give people not interested in this kind of content enough leeway to ignore their prized plot centerpiece. Sadly simply pretending its not there(the hallmark of a true fan, I guess) is not a viable RP option for me.

In regards to my supposedly weird and senseless commenting... I think the most weird&senseless thing I've done here is trying to critique the game in a forum, which mostly seems to treat pointing even minor failings of this game as a personal affront to the fanbase and is participating in the conversations about the game predominantly with a 'love it or leave it' -mentality.

The promise of being led to death is reason enough to follow.
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard