Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
I've raised this question years ago I think, but since I'm still seeing a lot of topics on how closely to the PHB BG3 implements the 5E ruleset:
are we aware of any modder initiative to build + maintain a "true 5E" mod collection for those that prefer D&D 5E literally "by the book"? I checked out NexusMods but couldn't find anything so far...

Last edited by endolex; 20/07/23 11:28 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by endolex
I've raised this question years ago I think, but since I'm still seeing a lot of topics on how closely to the PHB BG3 implements the 5E ruleset:
are we aware of any modder initiative to build + maintain a "true 5E" mod collection for those that prefer D&D 5E literally "by the book"? I checked out NexusMods but couldn't find anything so far...

It might be outdated but there was one a few patches ago on nexus, I don't know if they have plans to update it but I would guess they'll, or someone else will take charge of it.

Originally Posted by 5eRULES!
We paid for this game and shouldn't have to mod!

David Walgrave, executive producer at Larian Studios indicated 95% of 5e rules were implemented in 2020.

https://twinfinite.net/features/baldurs-gate-3-interview/

Spamming like that on several threads is not going to help you, us or anyone.

S
stranger
stranger
S
It already implements the rules by the book by about 95% the other 5% is still covered by the Rule of Cool and the fact that DMs can create specific rules and scenarios.

So what are you talking about ?

endolex Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Adgaroth - we'll see I suppose. I've been hardcore on the issue of "true 5E" in the past, but in the meantime I'm not that bothered anymore. A revived mod initiative would just be a nice direction to channel all the existing energy reg. ruleset accuracy towards I suppose. smile

apprentice
apprentice
My interest in this would heavily depend on how funky they intended to get or not with multiclassing spell casters and spells known... If they're going to base spells known on caster level, rather than class level, then count me in!

"Go for the eyes, Boo. GO FOR THE EYES! RrraaaAAGHGHH!"
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
My concern is that mods may not be able to rejig encounters to avoid non-5e abuses (think encounter design with x exploding barrels etc ) Are modders going to go through and remove the barrels+ fire arrows etc? The changes seems baked into all systems - rules, encounter design, TB-mode stealth etc etc

enthusiast
enthusiast
Right now there's a few standalone mods like turning shove into action, some spell tweaks, the one that made the races work like tashas (now I guess they'll to the opposite and make one that works like PHB), given some time I'm sure they'll add them up and made a conversion of sorts to ''faithful 5e'' in the meantime just wait some time or do a deep research and see what you can scavenge xD but I'm guessing most mods wont be compatible with version 1.0 anyway for at least a few days.

apprentice
apprentice
Also there are rumours about removing crossbow "loading" restrictions and not having a strength requirement for wearing any heavy armour - I guess you could work around these issues with self-imposed rules, but why should we have to?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
Right now there's a few standalone mods like turning shove into action, some spell tweaks, the one that made the races work like tashas (now I guess they'll to the opposite and make one that works like PHB), given some time I'm sure they'll add them up and made a conversion of sorts to ''faithful 5e'' in the meantime just wait some time or do a deep research and see what you can scavenge xD but I'm guessing most mods wont be compatible with version 1.0 anyway for at least a few days.

I hope that at least a PHB race mod and an update for turning shove into a full action gets made quickly. A true 5E core rules mod will take a while I fear, which leaves me with a €60 character creator for some time while I wait for mods to make the game enjoyable for me.

Last edited by Kendaric; 20/07/23 12:33 PM.
I know there were some mods for EA. So as long as modding is possible with full release, I bet the mods will be made pretty quick.

Personally if Larian doesnt add a mode, or options for these in game, (as they should, its the basic rules and lore), Id like the following off the top of my head.

- Racial ability bonuses from the PHB, not this +2/+1 malarkey. The same system thats been in EA for 3 years now.
- Deity choice for Paladins. In Forgotten Realms most Paladins, like clerics, are devoted to a deity, and is the source of their power via their oath.
those are the main ones.
These would also be nice.
- Hide as action for non rogues.
- Loading property for crossbows
- Regular ammunition for Bows and Crossbows.
- Grappling if at all possible.
- Rope and grappling hooks as a tool (its like one of the top utility items, and most used items at that in D&D).
- Other tools like crowbars, bag of ball bearings etc.
- Optional Deity choice for all classes.

"They say he who smelt it dealt it."
Sooo technically... this burnt corpse is your fault officer."

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Originally Posted by swimcito
It already implements the rules by the book by about 95% the other 5% is still covered by the Rule of Cool and the fact that DMs can create specific rules and scenarios.

So what are you talking about ?

That's a very superficial view of the issue. There are a lot of homebrews that completely re-balanced the action economy, changes to spells, abilities,... I'm not even talking about changes that one would have to expect transferring from TT to PC. There are changes that have nothing to do with anything beyond Larian's vision and those affect far more than '5%'. There are several threads that point out the differences and how deeply they affect classes and general mechanics.

old hand
old hand
I'm one of those that will use that when available, but I'd be wary of modding anytime soon. The game will be patched and rebalanced for quite some time and you might just end up screwing over your own savegames.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by rodeolifant
I'm one of those that will use that when available, but I'd be wary of modding anytime soon. The game will be patched and rebalanced for quite some time and you might just end up screwing over your own savegames.

Quite!

S
stranger
stranger
S
I plan to at least attempt to make a mod to put the racial ASI back instead of TCoE's garbage. No idea if someone will do it better/faster than I will though but I will not be playing the game until I get it fixed at least in that regard. Other things I have no intention of messing with though.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by endolex

I can't even imagine limiting myself to 3 magic items per character. I may pick up some mods for things I care about, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn Monks and Rangers back into the trash they were in PHB.

Back from timeout.
Banned
Banned
Hi endolex, I'm hoping they add a difficulty level for core rules like in BG1 & BG2.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by benbaxter
I can't even imagine limiting myself to 3 magic items per character. I may pick up some mods for things I care about, but I'm not sure why anyone would want to turn Monks and Rangers back into the trash they were in PHB.
Not EVERY magic item requires attunement.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by 5eRULES!
Hi endolex, I'm hoping they add a difficulty level for core rules like in BG1 & BG2.

That would be great!

Banned
Banned
Hi Metalogic, Sadly I can't see this happening on release...

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
95%? More like 65% if I'm being generous.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard