Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
I’ll assume we were posting at the same time, so I’ll say again …

Originally Posted by The Red Queen
Okay, N7Greenfire, you’ve made your position abundantly clear. If you’re not interested in playing shorter race characters or having them in your party, I’d suggest you now just ignore this thread rather than repeating yourself again as it starts to look as though you’re trying to shut down or invalidate other people’s preferences, as opposed to just saying what you want (which would be fine).

People are free here to say what they want and why they want it. Fortunately only Larian really need to worry about the practicality or cost/benefit analysis.
Ok I thought this was a discussion thread, I'll respect it as a fan thread for short races and leave then

veteran
veteran
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

On topic: FFXIV added Wrothgars with the knowledge that they weren't going to be popular. Despite me not being someone who wants to play a shorter race, having a variety is nice. Especially when I see two druids D:. Yes, i'm still annoyed about that. I think Larian plays a bit too much into the 'hey, give the audience what they want' at the expense of a cohesive experience, and this is just part of the results.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Aren't dwarves the 3rd or 4th most popular race in that poll people keep quoting? Should Larian just erase every race under that? Being 3rd/4th ranking is pretty popular.

Plus, if Larian only include the most popular choices we'd all be forced to be male human fighters which iirc Larian took a fit over. Lol

Remember, whenever there are options given one will, be most popular one will be least popular, and others will be in the middle.

As fir the camera thing... you can play dwarves, and other short races which also have access to every romance so claiming that thev'camera work is too hard' is actually insulting to Larian since clearly are capable of using the camera on the shorter folk.

GO DWARVES GO

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Aren't dwarves the 3rd or 4th most popular race in that poll people keep quoting? Should Larian just erase every race under that? Being 3rd/4th ranking is pretty popular.

Plus, if Larian only include the most popular choices we'd all be forced to be male human fighters which iirc Larian took a fit over. Lol

Remember, whenever there are options given one will, be most popular one will be least popular, and others will be in the middle.

As fir the camera thing... you can play dwarves, and other short races which also have access to every romance so claiming that thev'camera work is too hard' is actually insulting to Larian since clearly are capable of using the camera on the shorter folk.

GO DWARVES GO
Yes, dwarves are very popular. I don't remember ever being in a DnD group without a dwarf player, except one and that one has a gnome artificer (me😁)

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
journeyman
journeyman
If there are no romanceable midgets then I'm turning my Guardian into a dwarf and letting the tadpole eat my brain

L
L
To be honest, I don't get it. I admit that there aren't any of the existing companions that I really think should have been a short person instead. Sure, I've seen the argument for Gale as a gnome and while I don't have anything against it, I don't see it as a necessary change either. The camera argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me because they already have to allow for small characters since you can play one. The only thing that would really have to be added are short on short romance animations and I don't know that that would be enough of a problem to justify it.

From everything I've seen they have at most one short hireling, and that just seems weird to me. I probably wouldn't play one myself, except maybe a Dwarf fighter or cleric, but I know enough other people love them that I'm surprised we don't have the option. I know I would have loved to see Nettie as a possible companion, more so even than Halsin.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by fylimar

GO DWARVES GO
Yes, dwarves are very popular. I don't remember ever being in a DnD group without a dwarf player, except one and that one has a gnome artificer (me😁)
Yeah Dwarves are about as popular as Elves, even both races have a bit of a friendly rivalry, you'll rarely encounter a party without either of them.

old hand
old hand
Don't know about the popularity, but I have a friend who always creates a dwarf and gives it some stupid name, the last time we played he named his dwarf monk "Brother" like wth...

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by neprostoman
Don't know about the popularity, but I have a friend who always creates a dwarf and gives it some stupid name, the last time we played he named his dwarf monk "Brother" like wth...

SH: "What are you doing brother?"

ehhh

S
stranger
stranger
S
I don't know about anyone here, but Oghren was one of my favorite Dragon Age companions. Guy stuck by you whether you played good or evil as long as you were decent to him.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Senya99
I don't know about anyone here, but Oghren was one of my favorite Dragon Age companions. Guy stuck by you whether you played good or evil as long as you were decent to him.

I wasn't a big fan of Oghren, but that was not because he was a dwarf, but because of his alcoholism.
I loved Sigrun though and Varric is possibly my favourite companion of all times.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Oghren being a drunk was probably his 3rd most redeeming feature... mostly because it gave him a 'built in excuse' for all his bad behaviour. He alright, but he's nowhere enar the best dwaven npc in a crpg ever. Sigrun and Varric are awesome, though. BG series had some pretty good dwarven companions, too.

L
addict
addict
L
Neverwinter Nights 1+2 had some stellar companions that often get overlooked. But in terms of dwarves, I always liked Khelgar and his quest to become a monk.

... I had forgotten about Ohgren. But yeah he could turn out to be one of the cooler companions for sure. And yes, as Leucrotta points out, Khelgar is also great. One of my favourite dwarf characters so far.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
I seem to remember Jan Jansen being a very popular party member, back in the day, and I do not remember anyone expressing any dislike of Mazzy either. Korgan with the axes was a bit of a theme for evil parties too, as I recall.

And let's be honest, it would have been all kinds of badass to have a full short party and absolutely go to town on all those big people ankles just waiting to get shredded. That said, this topic just gave me a thought that might even at one point evolve into an actual idea. Mages tend to be squishy and dislike having melee types right next to them, but the problem is getting there. Gnomes are quite easy to toss around. Karlach looks like she's big enough to deliver quite a toss. Deep gnome warrior with air delivery? I'm thinking thief 3 / doomstalker, but monk or even vengance paladin might also work.

addict
addict
I would’ve been happy with a non romance small race companion like Minsc and Jaheira. Modders would’ve done the rest. I still suspect the loli looking short races was an issue. Look at how the smaller races now have oversized heads, hands etc to try to take them out of the loli appeal. Not totally against the way they look now, but they could’ve balanced the proportions abit.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Dude, how does anyone look at dwarves and think 'loli'? Elves are more 'loli'. LMAO I doubt that is the reasoning since you are able to play a halfling and have butt sex with a bear.

Originally Posted by ArvGuy
I seem to remember Jan Jansen being a very popular party member, back in the day, and I do not remember anyone expressing any dislike of Mazzy either. Korgan with the axes was a bit of a theme for evil parties too, as I recall.

As I remember it from the Beamdog forums, that's pretty much the case yes. When discussing potential new companions for BG2:EE even Yeslick was suggested.

Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
I still suspect the loli looking short races was an issue. Look at how the smaller races now have oversized heads, hands etc to try to take them out of the loli appeal. Not totally against the way they look now, but they could’ve balanced the proportions abit.

Not a bad theory, but seeing how Larian have no issue doing the bear thing and everyone jumping to its defense, I don't think this would have been an issue either.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
journeyman
journeyman
You guys are also forgetting that Larian has done a short race romance in the past with Princess Aida in Divinity: Dragon Commander (though admittedly some people might not classify it as a traditional "romance").

Last edited by ToLazy4Name; 23/07/23 12:31 AM.
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Dude, how does anyone look at dwarves and think 'loli'? Elves are more 'loli'. LMAO I doubt that is the reasoning since you are able to play a halfling and have butt sex with a bear.
Yep that's like looking at Wolverine and calling him a loli or the male equivalent which is a shota.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard