Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Originally Posted by Volourn
And, I've spoken to players and watch utube let's plays with 'modern' gamers who enjoy and flat out enjoy those games. So, yeah, "I've spoken to 'several' players" is not evidence. laugh

2nd edition. The most beautiful part, is Bg series didn't even do it justice yet still does great.

If Bioware had made BG3 you would be trying to calculate how many loot boxes you would need to buy to get the Dragonborn race unlocked.
"Oh yes, Jarra's Wrath!"

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
If current BIO was making BG3, I likely wouldn't care about it as much. They suck the big one.

addict
addict
If current BIO was making BG3, I likely wouldn't care about it as much. They suck the big one.

Oh god, that is scary to even think about.

Back from timeout.
W
veteran
veteran
W
And, I've spoken to players and watch utube let's plays with 'modern' gamers who enjoy and flat out enjoy those games. So, yeah, "I've spoken to 'several' players" is not evidence. laugh

2nd edition. The most beautiful part, is Bg series didn't even do it justice yet still does great.

Yeah dude, I wasn’t providing evidence that it’s a barrier to all new players, just saying that it was for some. Not every conversation is a competition to be won, friend. That’s kind of exhausting.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by Liley
So do you think it's possible to love BG3, if you haven't loved D:OS 1+2, even if it's so similar?
It is very much possible.

I have been playing both DOS2 and BG3 in the last few weeks, and I can say BG3 feels very, very different. Sure, you recognize Larian's location design, the combat is turn-based, and Larian went a bit too far with both the whimsical and the horrific for my taste, but personally, I can say that the most important reasons why DOS2 is not better than "mostly OK" for me are not present, or at least not present to nearly the same degree, in BG3 as far as we know it at the moment. A few points:

*BG3's origin characters may work not so well as player characters as DOS2's, but they are much more complete than DOS2's (which is one reason why they don't work so well as player characters). Their stories appear more involved, their screen presence is better, they come across as more authentic people. Whether you like them or not, they appear to be really well realized and as companions, I think they might turn out to be better than BG2's.

*DOS2's armor and damage scaling is completely absent since D&D doesn't have that. And that's a very, very big plus for me.

*DOS2's leveled equipment is absent. IMO we can be reasonably sure we'll find reason enough to upgrade our equipment now and then, but regular plate mail you can find at low levels should be just as useful at level 12. Fights won't be impossible just because you don't have the patience to make round-trips to every trader you can reach after every level-up.

*DOS2 has the most egregious example of front-loaded difficulty I have ever seen in a game ("ever" is about 40 years). All the most difficult unavoidable fights until you're close to the end are in the first act. Nothing of BG3's first chapter has been like those.

*Unlike in DOS2, it does not seem as if you'll need to be completionist in BG3 to keep up with the enemies in combat ability.

*Unlike in DOS2, not every encounter descends into "I can't move without stepping into some weird shit". There are a few of those, but then the problem is part of the environment and you can see it from afar.

Last edited by Ieldra2; 23/07/23 11:41 AM.
Liley Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
One thing to be aware of is that if you order the PC version before release day, you get a free upgrade to Digital Deluxe Edition, which includes some special in-game items, a digital art book and some other goodies.

So I did more research on the game overall and decided I actually want to play it smile . I looked on steam but there's only the EA version available. Do I need to pre-order on my larian account and then it will be popping up on my steam account on release day or how does this work? If I should open a new thread for this please let me know.

The upgrade to Digital Deluxe from early access requires no action on our part. Whether you own it on GOG or steam shouldn't matter either. The Digital Deluxe isn't spesifically buyable by itself yet. The full release will require the full 150GB download though, it's not just patching the early access version, so beware of that.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Silverstar
The upgrade to Digital Deluxe from early access requires no action on our part. Whether you own it on GOG or steam shouldn't matter either. The Digital Deluxe isn't spesifically buyable by itself yet. The full release will require the full 150GB download though, it's not just patching the early access version, so beware of that.
Have Larian shown the 3 different exclusive in-game dice skins anywhere yet? There's supposed to be one exclusive to the collector's edition, one exclusive to the PC deluxe, and one exclusive to PS5 deluxe.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Liley
Originally Posted by The Red Queen
One thing to be aware of is that if you order the PC version before release day, you get a free upgrade to Digital Deluxe Edition, which includes some special in-game items, a digital art book and some other goodies.

So I did more research on the game overall and decided I actually want to play it smile . I looked on steam but there's only the EA version available. Do I need to pre-order on my larian account and then it will be popping up on my steam account on release day or how does this work? If I should open a new thread for this please let me know.

If you buy EA now, it turns into the Deluxe Edition automatically. So you can buy it now and not have to worry about purchasing the 'correct' version. You could also play a bit of the EA tutorial (the ship) and get a feel for the game ahead of time. It isn't going to be 100% the same, but it might be nice to feel out the rules ahead of time so that when the full game launches you have already gotten some of the oops! and learning moments out of the way before starting your real run next week.

Back from timeout.
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Originally Posted by Silverstar
Have Larian shown the 3 different exclusive in-game dice skins anywhere yet? There's supposed to be one exclusive to the collector's edition, one exclusive to the PC deluxe, and one exclusive to PS5 deluxe.

I think they showed the "bloody" dice skin (PC DDE) during one of the panels, but I'm not entirely sure. It's not something I have really cared about so I haven't paid much attention. It may have been during the unboxing of the Collector's during the last stream or when they announced the free upgrade to Digital Deluxe.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard