Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
OP Offline
I'm curious. Based on what you've seen of the various companions so far, which do you find so unbearable/annoying/awful that they won't survive very long around you for your first playthrough? Personally I dislike Astarion and if hirelings are fully customizable and thus an option, he's being replaced ASAP. I don't think he's badly written, quite the opposite, I just find foppish snobs very annoying.

Which companion will you dispose of?
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: 22/07/23 10:51 PM

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
veteran
veteran
None! My goodness.

You monsters.

veteran
veteran
Wyll and Halsin for goners for sure. I'll still recruit Wyll at first just to gain some power or benefits for sacrificing him later. But Halsin, nah, he dies with the druids because I want to recruit Minthara later.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 22/07/23 11:00 PM.
old hand
old hand
On my first run, I'll take everyone except Minthara - who is never coming along, ever, and since I assume there's no way to spare her, she'll end up dead. I'll probably turn away some of the other companions on my next runs (Lae'zel, Shadowheart, possibly Astarion). Never gonna kill them, though, that seems... extreme.

OP Offline
Yeah I'll sadly probably never get to recruit Minthara either due to how she wants to handle the druid grove. I assume that by necessity either she or Halsin will always bite the dust. But I'm sure there's people who dislike them for whatever reason and would snuff them out regardless, so on the poll they go!

L
addict
addict
L
Unfortunately for Minthara from all indications is mutually exclusive with Halsin, Jaheria, and Minsc at a minimum. That probably puts her out as an option for a great many player's parties.

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by JandK
None! My goodness.

You monsters.

Indeed. (Edit: Though I hadn't really thought this through. Since almost certainly one or the other of Minthara/Halsin dies by hand in any given playthrough, I ticked both those boxes. Event though I figure I'll have at least one Durge playthrough where everyone dies, I don't think that counts enough to tick every box.)

Last edited by colinl8; 22/07/23 11:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
I expect Minthara will be joining most of my playthroughs. I very much look forward to her story more than any other companion really. And I don't really care that much for the druids or Haslin at all.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
All of them. I'm creating my own characters in MP.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Minthara is going to get alpha striked on all of my playthroughs. Unless they added a way to talk her out of following the absolute at the goblin base, which I doubt.

Even on my evil playthroughs shes probably going to get alpha striked.
Her blubbering infront of Kethrick did her no favors with me and I never found her particularly competent before that.
i kind of fail to see why anyone going down the evil path would want to recruit her at this point other than meta reason that she's a hot drow.

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 22/07/23 11:20 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
I'd kill all of them for a single short companion, preferably a dwarf female though I'll settle for Helia :^)

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Minthara is going to get alpha striked on all of my playthroughs. Unless they added a way to talk her out of following the absolute at the goblin base, which I doubt.

Even on my evil play throughs shes probably going to get alpha striked. Her blubbering infront of Kethrick did her no favors with me and I never found her particularly competent before that.

i kind of fail to see why anyone going down the evil path would want to recruit her at this point other than meta reason that she's a hot drow.
Minthara becomes quite vulnerable to the player character after aiding her against the druids and the tieflings. So you will probably be able to talk her out of or into a bunch of things later.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Astarion. Everything about him is annoying, even his appearance.

And it is very good - means the character is actually done well and some people will absolutely love him.

Also, my first character is wiping the grove, so Halsin won’t make it as well.

H
stranger
stranger
H
I can't stand Gale

OP Offline

I've always liked the drow characters in the CRPGs thus far. BG1 and 2 in particular, and Viconia quite spesifically, but HotU also had some good ones. I'm just assuming Minthara is also the fun kind of evil elf. Though like I said, I'll never know most likely.

L
addict
addict
L

Her blubbering infront of Kethrick did her no favors with me and I never found her particularly competent before that.
I suppose that is another aspect. For A noble from the first house of the Drow city of Menzoberranzan, that scene is a pretty big display of weakness that would be pretty contemptable if you are playing a more traditional drow. I mean, if the 'heretic' part wasn't already a turn off.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by HarmAssassin
I can't stand Gale
Gale is definitely high on the list of sacrificial lambs should they be needed just because of how he betrayed Mystra. But his story is somewhat compelling as he used to be an extremely powerful archmage and there are probably interesting things that can be done with the Netherese Destruction Orb after we extract it from him. His story might lead to powerful items and artifacts and if need be you can probably off him during or after the end of his quest.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Even on my evil play throughs shes probably going to get alpha striked. Her blubbering infront of Kethrick did her no favors with me and I never found her particularly competent before that.

Minthara becomes quite vulnerable to the player character after aiding her against the druids and the tieflings. So you will probably be able to talk her out of or into a bunch of things later.
Yeah but I'm not going to slaughter 50 people for her if I'm good, and she seems too incompetent to take as an underling if I'm evil. I'd rather just take Halsin on my evil runs.
Originally Posted by Silverstar

I've always liked the drow characters in the CRPGs thus far. BG1 and 2 in particular, and Viconia quite spesifically, but HotU also had some good ones. I'm just assuming Minthara is also the fun kind of evil elf. Though like I said, I'll never know most likely.
More power to you friend, but for me, she's just too incompetent, she let's the goblins party and get drunk when they should be hunting down the artifact.
Originally Posted by Leucrotta

I suppose that is another aspect. For A noble from the first house of the Drow city of Menzoberranzan, that scene is a pretty big display of weakness that would be pretty contemptable if you are playing a more traditional drow. I mean, if the 'heretic' part wasn't already a turn off.

I already found her to be a bit of a fool with what a mess the goblin camp was but that scene put it over the edge for me. My evil tavs will probably walk right into moonrise with her blood proudly on their hands while telling Kethrick I'm his new apprentice now.

veteran
veteran
yes Gale is not someone i trust at all and Wyll has a pact with evil herself so she says kill Tav and he has to do it [like hello]

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ussnorway
yes Gale is not someone i trust at all and Wyll has a pact with evil herself so she says kill Tav and he has to do it [like hello]
Actually he doesn't. From the press footage fextra life gave us we see Wyll still has free will, he just gets punished if he disobeys.

Also I'm really excited to see how early I can kill Mizora.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard