Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I'm not going to get rid of anyone on my first playthrough. But Minthara wouldn't make it if I'm going to have Halsin. I'm guessing they're mutually exclusive?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Yeah but I'm not going to slaughter 50 people for her if I'm good, and she seems too incompetent to take as an underling if I'm evil. I'd rather just take Halsin on my evil runs.
You misunderstand...she will do perfectly fine as part of my party after I recruit her. I will need a tank because my character will not be it and to that end she's more than great. As for Haslin...he probably dies early even on my good runs. Ooops...that vicious bear I ran into was actually a druid? Totally innocent mistake...such tragedy. Oh well, off to saving literally everyone else!

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 22/07/23 11:43 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Veilburner
But Minthara wouldn't make it if I'm going to have Halsin. I'm guessing they're mutually exclusive?

That is the common assumption. At least it doesn't seem to be an option in early access.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
S
S
Probably Gale. Due to the dark urge path. I don't hate him and he is nice and easy to please but it will set a darker tone to the adventure. Now if there is a second chance to recruit him, I will do so.

But yeah, with the dark urge nobody is safe.

But I will try my best to rein some of the urges to keep the others. I genuinely enjoy SH and Astarion, so I do hope they will survive to the end.

Personally, I find Lae'zel annoying but one companion less is already a hit. I can't afford losing more, esp. with the unpredictable stuff that can happen.

As for Halsin vs. Minthara, in EA I stuck with the tieflings. But I am going for a very chaotic run (though I won't go ultra-evil), so anything is possible.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 22/07/23 11:59 PM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Scales & Fangs
Probably Gale. Due to the dark urge path. I don't hate him and he is nice and easy to please but it will set a darker tone to the adventure. Now if there is a second chance to recruit him, I will do so.

But I will try my best to keep the others, though.

Personally, I find Lae'zel annoying but one companion less is already a hit. I can't afford losing more, esp. with the unpredictable stuff that can happen.

As for Halsin vs. Minthara, in EA I stuck with the tieflings. But I am going for a very chaotic run (though I won't go ultra-evil), so anything is possible.
I don't think the best approach to the urge is to give in literally every time. Even if you plan to embrace the dark urge and the evil playstyle it would be wise to still build and maintain a party of companions. I get the Dark Urge is probably an avatar of bhaal or some such but that doesn't mean I always have to behave as bhaal would. Corrupting evil so much more fun than just stabbing though I am sure there will be more than enough opportunities to stab things to satisfy the dark urge anyway.

S
S
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

I don't think the best approach to the urge is to give in literally every time. Even if you plan to embrace the dark urge and the evil playstyle it would be wise to still build and maintain a party of companions. I get the Dark Urge is probably an avatar of bhaal or some such but that doesn't mean I always have to behave as bhaal would. Corrupting evil so much more fun than just stabbing though I am sure there will be more than enough opportunities to stab things to satisfy the dark urge anyway.

Indeed. The idea is to unleash it at (some) non-companions. But it is possible that I occasionally slip/ make mistakes. I can't tell without playing the game.

Personally, I think the companions are one of the most entertaining aspect of the game.

As for my main, his original alingment was Chaotic Neutral but due to the fact he is not fully in control of his urges (I guess except for people where he really cares about/desperately need/ feels connection aka companions), he is really CE. To put it in simple terms. I am both excited and worried.

Last edited by Scales & Fangs; 23/07/23 12:08 AM.
C
addict
addict
C
I already found her to be a bit of a fool with what a mess the goblin camp

Interesting. That never bothered me a bit. She's likely overruled by Gut and Ragzlin. "Look, we got the duke, as ordered, now we celebrate. You can go sit in your corner and make plans if you like."

veteran
veteran
I've never even talked to Minthara, she always attacks me and dies. *shrug* so she's my bet for my playthrough.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by colinl8
I already found her to be a bit of a fool with what a mess the goblin camp

Interesting. That never bothered me a bit. She's likely overruled by Gut and Ragzlin. "Look, we got the duke, as ordered, now we celebrate. You can go sit in your corner and make plans if you like."
It seemed to me that she was the nominal authority there. Kethrick certainly felt so. She also had the cultists there not just goblins, and let Edowin, the only other non goblin true soul go hiking around the badlands.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Indeed. The idea is to unleash it at (some) non-companions. But it is possible that I occasionally slip/ make mistakes. I can't tell without playing the game.

Personally, I think the companions are one of the most entertaining aspect of the game.

As for my main, his original alingment was Chaotic Neutral but due to the fact he is not fully in control of his urges (I guess except for people where he really cares about/desperately need/ feels connection aka companions), he is really CE. To put it in simple terms. I am both excited and worried.

Even Bhaal had companions.

P
stranger
stranger
P
Minthara for sure. I don't have it in me to do what it will likely take to recruit her, even if I do end up going Durge. She's always gonna get taken out for me.

I also voted for Lae'zel. I'm not a fan of Githyanki in the first place, and I don't have the patience for her. Also the hissing. She'll likely never get out of that Tiefling cage.

apprentice
apprentice
Minthara dies because she is evil.

Astarion will not be recruited (never say never, we'll see). I initially liked him, but I've gotten so tired/bored of his edgy 13-year-old personality, I've just been giving him a wide berth lately. I was disappointed but not surprised that it turns out he indeed was a piece of trash even before being made a spawn. It did sour my overall appreciation of him, though.

I gave Wyll a fair chance, but I really can't stand him. Don't like his personality or story at all; the only thing he has going for him is his good looks. I've been actively avoiding him since my first full playthrough of EA, but I heard that Larian went and gave him a cutscene intro for the initial goblin fight at the grove entrance? Thanks for making it harder to ignore his existence, Larian; I hate it.

Jaheira is overrated, and hopefully just a temporary companion I can ignore after the relevant quest or whatever.

Can't stand Karlach (early datamined appearance was cool, though), so will likely avoid her, too.

I'm okay with Lae'zel, but I also don't care, so I guess we'll ultimately see if she's a keeper, depending on how long it takes for modders to expand the party size limit.

Shadowheart and Gale have been my pals for a while (but, of course, I have some gripes), and I'm genuinely looking forward to Halsin, even though I used to be resistant for the longest time, lol.

I'm tentative about Minsc, given the vastly different VA, but maybe it won't be too distractingly different (it almost certainly will be). I do like him as a character, especially since we're woefully lacking in decidedly good-guy characters. (Relevant venting: I miss you, Canach's-VA-from-GW2. Dear nonspecific-game-devs: If you must replace someone, at least TRY to find someone who sounds remotely similar to the original VAs, sheesh. For example, the guy who voiced Regill Derenge in WotR would have been a perfect replacement for Canach's VA! How hard would it have actually been to find someone with a similar vocal register to Jim Cummings, in the case of Minsc?)

OP Offline
Apparently Wyll will have a very extensive re-write for release and that's also when his new cut scene appears. I barely interacted with him in early access either, so no idea whether the changes will be good or bad.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Silverstar
Apparently Wyll will have a very extensive re-write for release and that's also when his new cut scene appears. I barely interacted with him in early access either, so no idea whether the changes will be good or bad.

Yes, I heard he'll be hunting Karlach now (wonder if the "paladins" will still be around), but I wonder if his new introductory cutscene is indicative of him still having his annoying "Blade of the Frontier" persona. If so, the new angle isn't going to change much for me, beyond making it even more obvious he's a phony, lol. If I'd at least been interested in Karlach, his story rewrite might have piqued my interest! Another thing I'm curious about, though, is if his "tragic" backstory will no longer be in any way tied to the goblins. It did feel super flimsy and awfully convenient that the goblins that led him to his warlock pact and path of vengeance happened to be the same ones in the area where we crash-landed, imo.

veteran
veteran
Minthara is toast because I would never pick her over Halsin!!! I will recruit all the others, although it is likely a few may leave and/or betray. I will see how it goes!

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by The Fell Omen
Originally Posted by Silverstar

Yes, I heard he'll be hunting Karlach now (wonder if the "paladins" will still be around), but I wonder if his new introductory cutscene is indicative of him still having his annoying "Blade of the Frontier" persona. If so, the new angle isn't going to change much for me, beyond making it even more obvious he's a phony, lol. If I'd at least been interested in Karlach, his story rewrite might have piqued my interest! Another thing I'm curious about, though, is if his "tragic" backstory will no longer be in any way tied to the goblins. It did feel super flimsy and awfully convenient that the goblins that led him to his warlock pact and path of vengeance happened to be the same ones in the area where we crash-landed, imo.

This makes me think of something I've never considered before. This is definitely not an initial playthrough idea, but I'm curious how the situation works if you never enter the grove, recruit Karlach, and then return to the grove to talk to Wyll for the first time. I guess playing origin Karlach won't be super different from that, but I'm curious if that order of doing things is accounted for in any way

veteran
veteran
Where is option to kill Scratch?

Nah ... seriously tho.
We were "semi-promised" new start with Astarion ... but in last Gent event, as people were playing (and little later revealing their experience) we have seen that is meeting scene was exactly the same ...
It obviously will depend on wich character will i pick first in the end ... but most of my characters will react poorly on knife on their throat.

So ... yeah, he will probably not make it very far, since im going to kill him right there ...
Maybe even use some ressurection scroll to kill him again, just to make a point that he really shouldnt mess with me.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Minthara will never be in my party. I will not kill the tieflings for a brainwashed fanatic, so she of course dies.
Astarion is another case of oopsies more often than not, because he annoys me so mich. I always promise myself, I keep him around this time, but then the knife to throat scene happens and the biting you while you sleep scene. So yeah, I think it might be hardwired in my brain to kill, leave or give over Astarion to the. Gur. I'm planning to start with all the companions and I'm not actively looking to kill Astarion, but we see, how that goes this time around.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
L
L
Of them all, only Astarion for me. I may never do an evil run with Minthara but I won’t be getting rid of her because of the listed reasons. I might have listed Wyll, but the rewrite gave him a new lease on life.

apprentice
apprentice
Heh, Astarion is way too much for me too. It's like he's some kind of fanfiction or a character that's stumbled into Faerun direct from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Even Frank-N-Furter would say, 'Daaaamn, that guy's a bit over the top'

Last edited by Mordenkainen; 23/07/23 07:25 AM.
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard