Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by JandK
1. Multiplayer issue. One player is walking around with all 18's while another used point buy?
This just dont feels right ...
They had time and resource to go over all and every intimite scenes, just to cover our ... private parts ... with covenient leafs and stuff ...

But didnt have enough time to include "Dont allow this method in my game!" button? laugh

2. New players might get stuck rolling dice or get really low, subpar stats and not realize how much that's going to hinder their play?
That sounds like good reason ...
Until you include to concideration how fast we will get option to respec.

Also ... even the worse Stat Roller i have found on web counted your total score and told you if you are on average, under it, or over it ... so such message shouldnt be a problem for Larian aswell.
Either that, or i was really lucky when i was searching. laugh

---

Also ...

To be perfectly honest, i would satisfy with Inifinite point-buy ...
I have no problem to roll those stats with my own dices on my table. laugh

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Even I know that has to be an incredibly easy thing to add. Which makes me suspect it's not in for a reason outside of the one give, which was something about production or time?
Yeah, it was a feature that they decided to drop along the way.

To do it up to standard it would sill take dedicated page, UI, animation, sound effects, programming etc. Definitely not outside Larian’s scope, but than I dont think anything is. But there always will be a limit to doable features - they just decided to draw the line there.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
'New' players have managed to deal with dice rolls in earlier dnd games. The total insulting of casuals and new players is hilariously arrogant.

Last edited by Volourn; 24/07/23 06:28 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Wormerine
Even I know that has to be an incredibly easy thing to add. Which makes me suspect it's not in for a reason outside of the one give, which was something about production or time?

To do it up to standard it would sill take dedicated page, UI, animation, sound effects, programming etc. Definitely not outside Larian’s scope, but than I dont think anything is. But there always will be a limit to doable features - they just decided to draw the line there.

Stat rolls? No time for such "difficult" add-on for newcomers. Priority to multi colored hair and testicle size content in the character creator. Everyone wants that.

Last edited by Count Turnipsome; 24/07/23 03:06 PM.

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
addict
addict
I feel like Larian with BG3 is saying:

"Its ok everyone it's D&D with some cool house rules, try it out its so much fun!"

As well as

"Its ok everyone it ISN'T D&D and has cool house rules, try it out its so much fun!"

It just reminded me of the bowl of goat's milk that old Winthrop used to put outside his door every evening for the dust demons. He said the dust demons could never resist goat's milk, and that they would always drink themselves into a stupor and then be too tired to enter his room..
veteran
veteran
Thats exactly why i think infinite point buy would work ...

You have all theese things allready implemented ...
All you need to do is give player 114 points instead of 27 ... and options to raise Ability Scores up to 18 and start game even if not all of them is spread out.

And *that* is something you can deal with single button.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/07/23 03:27 PM.

S
old hand
old hand
S
If they had stat rolling at some point and decided against it, I am pretty sure that it was the result of internal playtesting. Most likely testers either ignored it or rolled for a long time until they get a perfect score. In that case, the decision was made to streamline the newcomer experience as much as possible so it was dropped.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
1. Multiplayer issue. One player is walking around with all 18's while another used point buy?
This just dont feels right ...
They had time and resource to go over all and every intimate scene, just to cover our ... private parts ... with convenient leafs and stuff ...

But didn't have enough time to include "Don't allow this method in my game!" button? laugh

Yeah, it would have been fine it was an optional thing I think. It still would cause some problems for multiplayer but not in my guild.

2. New players might get stuck rolling dice or get really low, subpar stats and not realize how much that's going to hinder their play?
That sounds like good reason ...
Until you include to consideration how fast we will get option to respec.

Can we respec stats as well? Honestly asking - I really didn't catch that.

Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
I feel like Larian with BG3 is saying:

"Its ok everyone it's D&D with some cool house rules, try it out it's so much fun!"

As well as

"Its ok everyone it ISN'T D&D and has cool house rules, try it out it's so much fun!"

Well, and again, I support stat rolls, or increased point buy for whatever for single player, but the infinite stat re-roll thing isn't part of any ruleset in any version of D&D ever.

I just don't think people would be happy with RAW stat rolling. Then again they would probably just exit out, and start over, which would just piss them off.

Bioware had the wisdom at least to understand that if you are going to do stat rolls you may as well just make it infinite because they knew exactly what people would do.

Imagine if you rolled and then the game remember that for next game you started? Like, it insisted that you play by the rules? I would be able to bathe in the salty tears that would result in. Not feasible but still, it would be funny.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer
Time 52:00
(They have their own timesnaps in description ... very nice move.)

Quote Swen litteraly:
"Yeah you can respec everything and you can respec trough the game also, there is a gold price to be payd but you can respec anybody. The only things that are actually locked in are the subclasses of two of our Origin characters when you start playing when you recruit them, but yeah you can respec in any case so doesnt really matter.
*small pause*
Its just a bit, in their heads they will allways have that in their background, that is important to say. Like Wyll will allways be a Warlock, because his story doesnt work if he wasnt"

So ... yeah, as far as we can claim we know ... i would dare to claim that this includes stats.
Not really sure if that means even race tho ...

veteran
veteran
Everyone who wants rolling for stats to be in the game, do you want it because:

a) you want to roll until you get high enough ability scores
b) you want to keep the first roll and play like tabletop

?

Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome

Stat rolls? No time for such "difficult" add-on for newcomers. Priority to multi colored hair and testicle size content in the character creator. Everyone wants that.

I mean. Unironically I'd rather see multi-colored hair and testicle size content than stat rolls, tbh. There's a finite amount of dev time, they literally cannot get in everything they might want. Perfection is the enemy of progress. So if things are going to be cut, they need to focus on what people actually want/care about/are going to use/is going to be easy to add. More hair colors is an easy add, and they felt strongly enough about nudity to include it. I tend to agree with them that it's an important add. Point-buy works fine, is intuitive, and doesn't really need any explanation. It's also the most used system, making it a shoe-in when rolling for stats is easy to gimp yourself OR you spend your time just spam rolling for the best. Pass.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

Quote Swen litteraly:
"Yeah you can respec everything and you can respec trough the game also, there is a gold price to be payd but you can respec anybody. The only things that are actually locked in are the subclasses of two of our Origin characters when you start playing when you recruit them, but yeah you can respec in any case so doesnt really matter.
*small pause*
Its just a bit, in their heads they will allways have that in their background, that is important to say. Like Wyll will allways be a Warlock, because his story doesnt work if he wasnt"

So ... yeah, as far as we can claim we know ... i would dare to claim that this includes stats.
Not really sure if that means even race tho ...

I know you cannot respec your race. I don't *think* you can respec stats either, but I could be wrong. Obviously you can choose a new ASI of course.

It can be challenging to understand exactly what Swen means because English is not his first language, and I don't understand Flemish.

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
"Everyone who wants rolling for stats to be in the game, do you want it because:

b) you want to keep the first roll and play like tabletop"

I prefer rolling fir multiple reasons:

1. More varied. Point buy characters largely tend to look the same stats wise.

2. It's a game. Randomness is part of the fun for me.

3. It's tradition. Yeah, yeah, dome traditions ate bad abd need to be stopped... not this one, imo, lol.

4. I actually dont mind having low stats and point buy systems largely have higher minimums. Instead of a 3 minimum you get a 8 minimum. Meh. Give me that clumsy priest or that sickly mage. One if the most popular dnd inspired characters was literally a ridiculously unhealthy mage.. and he conquered the universe as a major villain.

5. It's the standard in phb. Point buy is the variant.

6. I prefer keeping the first roll though I do admit in crogs I tend to roll fir at least decent. I have played a bg character with as low as 78 though, and my highest was 93. Both playthroughs went fine.

7. It's fun!!! It's classic!!! It's wild!!!

8. Still dint see why the baseline phb rule if rolling could not, at least be an option. I thought bg3 was about options, and playing how you wanted to. This literally limits that frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Everyone who wants rolling for stats to be in the game, do you want it because:

b) you want to keep the first roll and play like tabletop

?
Yes.

That and some more. wink

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 24/07/23 07:02 PM.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
"Everyone who wants rolling for stats to be in the game, do you want it because:

8. Still dint see why the baseline phb rule if rolling could not, at least be an option. I thought bg3 was about options, and playing how you wanted to. This literally limits that frown

Buddy, you got to learn to quote right. See below.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I want to - when playing single player - sit there rolling forever until I get the perfect roll for that sweet dopamine hit! Then do it all over.

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
I did use quotes. I'm old skool. Go troll, and personally attack someone else. Focus on duscussung the actual topic not a random poster. I dont need the mods getting on my case because someone decided to start a war with me because I quoted 'the wrong way'. Lmao

Last edited by Volourn; 24/07/23 07:13 PM.
Originally Posted by Volourn

I prefer rolling fir multiple reasons:

1. More varied. Point buy characters largely tend to look the same stats wise.

2. It's a game. Randomness is part of the fun for me.

3. It's tradition. Yeah, yeah, dome traditions ate bad abd need to be stopped... not this one, imo, lol.

4. I actually dont mind having low stats and point buy systems largely have higher minimums. Instead of a 3 minimum you get a 8 minimum. Meh. Give me that clumsy priest or that sickly mage. One if the most popular dnd inspired characters was literally a ridiculously unhealthy mage.. and he conquered the universe as a major villain.

5. It's the standard in phb. Point buy is the variant.

6. I prefer keeping the first roll though I do admit in crogs I tend to roll fir at least decent. I have played a bg character with as low as 78 though, and my highest was 93. Both playthroughs went fine.

7. It's fun!!! It's classic!!! It's wild!!!

1) Agree, the point buy makes it very tempting to always use the standard

2) While it is a poor replacement, would it be possible to basically roll after all? Either with console commands putting them in, or just using the rolls and maybe using less points, if that is allowed? But I see what you mean.

3) Technically the way you roll the dice has changed over the year - and I *think* I have read that point buy is actually older than many people think.

4) I think these kind of characters are better in pen&paper than in Video Games. A DM can incorporate it in the adventure. Though, when Larian is so proud of reactions few people will see, then maybe such low stats should be in.

5) Pretty sure the standard is the Standard Array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).

6) Eh, depends in what points you put them. Playing a low Dex char used to massively weaken you. Especially for BG1. And I have been salty about htat for 20 years. =P

7) pretty sure that is just a combination of point 2) and 3) =P

8) Again, the baseline is the standard array.

But I think a mod to put rolling would be appreciate by most people. We should probably leave the "save" button for rolling that BG had out..

veteran
veteran
In fairness, it's kinda hard to get the quote feature to work right now. You click it and then... nothing. You have to wait for a while for the quote show up, if at all.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Yes, point buy has technically been around for awhile. Rolling has always been the standard. The 'standard array' is the first option you get if you choose not to roll or your roll is bad according to the 5e phb. Or depending how you read the text, it can be twisted to be 'co standard'. But, rolling 4d6 drop the lowest is the first standard they give for detemrining stats.

Yes, really low dex in bg1 does really hurt you. But, it is possible to play. Espiicially since you get the dex gauntlets in both games (not that you know this first play through). But, dex 10 is fine.

Yeah, I combined them. I waS having fun with the numbered list. laugh

Definitely easier in pnp for any character since you have an actual live DM to 'cater' to everyone's choice. Just like an 'overpowered'; character can be made to face tougher challenges in pnp, too.

Dont get me wrong. I'll survive the point buy. I've done before with other dnd games like NWN. It is not a literal gamebreaker for me.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard