Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Solarian
I don't think rolling for stats works so well in a computer game. If you can just reroll until you get something you like there's no point really, and if there's no reroll ppl will find ways around that since very few people will be satisfied playing a character with low stats. So I am very happy with the current system where you can distribute points to fit the kind of character you like to play.

Computer games are different from pen and paper roleplay where playing a weak character may be just as fun as playing a strong one if you have the right spirit. Yes, it could be too in a computer game, but that would be a huge challenge for developers creating a story and gameplay with choices that would reward good roleplay over character power. Definitely no easy task.

I mean I agree with you, but who cares what people do in single player games, right? Sometimes it's fun to just sit there and see how high you can get the numbers.

It's guilt free gambling and I bet your brain can't tell the difference.

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Rolling has worked fine in crpgs forever. It surely dud not hurt bg1 or bg2. Some people rolled til perfect stats, some never resolved, dome rolled til they got a certain number. Somehow, the series managed. As have other games. With rolling, the player gets to CHOOSE how much or how little they do it. Any dev who can't handle needs to work on their weaknesses. Period.

Last edited by Volourn; 28/07/23 02:15 AM.
Less about the dev and more about how many people just don't like rolling for stats. Point buy is pretty much the standard for a reason, regardless of standard array/rolling for stats being in the book. I hate the randomness and have literally zero interest in stat rolling, it's kept me from playing more than a few TTRPGs. 100% glad they went the route they did, particularly as it'll probably be something that gets modded in easily enough for people that care that much.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Many people lover rolling fir stats. Dude, that's why threads like this exist. You or I dont represent others. Mods don't count.

Originally Posted by Volourn
Many people lover rolling fir stats. Dude, that's why threads like this exist. You or I dont represent others. Mods don't count.
I think you'd lose a large % of the people saying they'd like to roll for stats if you could just set your stats to whatever value you like. It really isn't much different than changing difficulty. Honestly, Larian could have saved themselves some coding time by allowing you to just pick stats instead of having an easy setting that is really just the equivalent of +4 to every attribute (actually, it's not quite that much of a difference, but you could find some amount of Point Buy differential that would be the equivalent). I can't really say that for Tactician because they added a bunch of other stuff, but Tactician with 38 Point Buy is going to be easier than Tactician with 27 Point Buy, and you still get to see all the Tactician stuff.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Or we can get the option to roll, and end up with some 5s or 6s fir stats just like yiu could in pnp.

Originally Posted by Volourn
Or we can get the option to roll, and end up with some 5s or 6s fir stats just like yiu could in pnp.

As long as it's just an option and I can turn it off in my multiplayer games and it doesn't take dev time away from literally anything else, sure.

stranger
stranger
BG1 had rolling for stats.
BG2 had rolling for stats.

BG3 not having rolling for stats means myself and my 3 party members are not buying the game until it's there.

Sven promised it'll be there for release. I've got other games to play meanwhile (restrained myself from playing the EA, I can wait a little longer).

Some might say it'll be in the mods - yeah, sure, that's a way. But I'd really like to keep this option available for the vanilla experience, just like with BG1 and BG2, which I didn't need to mod to have a ton of fun with.

Taking this away to me feels like another part of the charm being gone.

veteran
veteran
Just want to point out that even tho Swen specificly confirmed that it will not be present in game during launch ...
Its still mentioned in FAQ topic ...

Can I roll for my stats?
In Early Access we're using Point Buy as the main way to determine stats in Character Creation, but we've heard that there are big fans of rolling stats out there.
Source: https://forums.larian.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=677277#Post677277

So ... personaly im keeping my hopes for some future patch/hotfix.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Ah, but they never said they would implement rolling for stats. They just said they were perfectly aware that many players want to roll for stats. For what it's worth, they thought "but we don't particulalry care about rolling for stat and, anyway, it's not happening", they just didn't say it.

It's like when they said there would be a time for a Q&A. They never said they would do a Q&A. They just said that there would be a time for a Q&A. Maybe that time is next Tuesday. At that time, it will be the perfect time for a Q&A : before that would be too early, after would be too late. But there is not guarantee that this Q&A will materialise. There's still a bit of time before release for this to happen, but I'm personally not keeping my hopes too high for this.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Drath Malorn
Ah, but they never said they would implement rolling for stats.
This is not true ...
As you can see in this (admitely quite old) article ... they did:

Ed: Can you roll for stats? How will that work?

Walgrave: You can! In the character creation, you can accept what’s there or you can use the point buy option, or you can roll for stats. We’re going to implement I think two or three different ways of doing it.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 29/07/23 07:09 PM.

addict
addict
My mistake. I was basing what I said only on the information from the FAQ. In view of the interview you linked, indeed, Larian clearly said they would implement rolling for stat.

Coming back to your original point, yes, the official FAQ provides unambiguously incorrect information. Providing prospective customers with correct information about your product is so overrated, I guess. Bets are open for how much time it will take for Larian to rectify this.

My mistake. I was basing what I said only on the information from the FAQ. In view of the interview you linked, indeed, Larian clearly said they would implement rolling for stat.

Coming back to your original point, yes, the official FAQ provides unambiguously incorrect information. Providing prospective customers with correct information about your product is so overrated, I guess. Bets are open for how much time it will take for Larian to rectify this.
Not only would, he said you "can" roll for stats. While scrolling through I found something interesting about hoe they tried to implement reactions but it didn't work. So no wonder that suggestion from fans was never picked up.

veteran
veteran
Coming back to your original point, yes, the official FAQ provides unambiguously incorrect information.
As we keep pointing out trough several topics, for at least last few months ... smile

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Solarian
I don't think rolling for stats works so well in a computer game.
I don't think it's conceptually a good system, either.
Too bad this large demand for "rolling for stats" is a problem that WOTC created for itself in the moment they made the point buy system inherently gimped in comparison.
Why it is that by rolling dices I'm allowed to start directly with a 20 on my main stat (18 and a +2 bonus on top) while the point buy caps at 15 with the best-case possiibility to boost at 17 with a +2 on top?
It's an incredibly stupid disparity between the two systems.

And OF COURSE no one who's asking for this system in a computer game is willing to settle for "taking whatever they get at the first roll". The goal is obviously to keep rerolling until an ideal lineup of results comes out of it.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
old hand
old hand
It comes from the old days. Back then, you'd roll stats first, and according to what you rolled - you'd then pick a race, and then a class.

Races had modifiers for these stats; ie. A Dwarf gets +1 to CON, Elfs get +1 do DEX, but there were also class restrictions to these races. There's no such thing as a Dwarven Mage or an Elven Bard in AD&D.

Certain classes were *hard* to attain as most classes had flat out requirements. So in AD&D for example, Paladins were stupid rare, mostly a pretige class as they required 17 Charisma and 14 Wisdom, but didn't use either ability for anything. With low Strength for attacking, low Dex for defense or low Con for HP, you were a terrible Paladin. So you'd only have Intelligence as a dumpstat.

Nowadays, it makes far less sense as you just pick and choose. But, I do admit that I quite like the idea that what-you're-capable of physically - by just existing - is what defines what you can go do effectively for a living. As in; I can, with my intelligence and poor eyesight - never be an Astronaut.

Fear my wrath, for it is great indeed.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
And OF COURSE no one who's asking for this system in a computer game is willing to settle for "taking whatever they get at the first roll". The goal is obviously to keep rerolling until an ideal lineup of results comes out of it.
Even if ...
Is that a bad thing for some reason ... or?

It certainly skews balance. At least with point buy you can balance around a certain expectation, with rolled stats you just sort of have to give up and balance towards an average.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tuco
Which is understandable - how low of a roll is good enough for an average experience?

The more I think about stat rolling and resting system, the more I would be interesting is seeing a D&D rogue-like. I think it’s mechanics would support a perma-death systemic adventure far better than a handcrafted story driven one.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Xurtan
It certainly skews balance.
Does it tho?

I mean, its popular excuse ...
But do you realize we are talking here about game, where you can get permanent +1 to anything from Hag, and permanent +1 to Charisma from Volo ...
And there is several, yes SEVERAL confirmed items that gives you +2 to Str, Dex, or other Ability Scores up to 20?

Even puting aside the fact that people who are re-rolling for crazy high numbers usualy dont give a damn about balance. laugh

I just fail to see the point where the game "becomes" unbalanced.
- I start with 17 charisma as a Dwarf and its perfectly fine ...
- I get to 19 charisma before i meet first ASI and its perfectly fine ...
- But i start with 18 and its sudently unbalanced? O_o
How does that even make sense? laugh

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard