Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Volourn
The arrogance to think that larian is the only good option fir witc. Wotc has many options - some of them potentially better. In 10 years, we could have another company making a dnd game that sells more. *shrug*

And, thete us no evidence that bg 'by far' is yhe 'most popular' dnd game. Sell the most is likely, but we'll see. Do not underestimate the earlier BGs that without this game would not exist or NWN which also, FYI, outsold either BG.

And, no dev is 'completely independent' when making a dnd game.
I mean larian really is the only option. Theres no other studio of their size that does rpg games that has maintained goodwill.

Also most AAA devs now do liveservice or dlc spam so they may not even want to do a D&D game if offered as wotc probably wants a cut of the micro transactions.

I
old hand
old hand
I
I doubt Larian will make another D&D game. They have no love for the limitations of the D&D system and their own IP to maintain.
Doing BG3 was more a prestige issue than a endorsement of D&D.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Ixal
I doubt Larian will make another D&D game. They have no love for the limitations of the D&D system and their own IP to maintain.
They can cycle both ips to prevent burnout of either

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 25/07/23 08:52 AM.
I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
They can cycle both ips to a oud burnout of either
They could. But that also depends on what WotC wants who are notoriously bad at managing their digital IP and also rather greedy. And now after BG3 is made the big prestige reason to do it is gone unless they make something like Planescape 2.
They could also do it like Owlcat and switch IPs. Rifts would be right up their style and no one cares about Rifts rules. Only the owner is a tad overprotective of his IP.

What makes you think that? I got the feeling they like D&D and just made some house rules to improve things they thought weak and to give possibilites you have in P&P, but often not in computer adaptions.

But if we are switching rules.. how about a Traveller Adaption? That would be a massive (and for me welcome) surprise!

W
stranger
stranger
W
Originally Posted by Volourn
The arrogance to think that larian is the only good option fir witc. Wotc has many options - some of them potentially better. In 10 years, we could have another company making a dnd game that sells more. *shrug*

And, thete us no evidence that bg 'by far' is yhe 'most popular' dnd game. Sell the most is likely, but we'll see. Do not underestimate the earlier BGs that without this game would not exist or NWN which also, FYI, outsold either BG.

And, no dev is 'completely independent' when making a dnd game.
I mean larian really is the only option. Theres no other studio of their size that does rpg games that has maintained goodwill.

Also most AAA devs now do liveservice or dlc spam so they may not even want to do a D&D game if offered as wotc probably wants a cut of the micro transactions.

I think cd project would be a dev that can also handle such a game. Of course, they often release buggy games but also repair their games quite well.

I
old hand
old hand
I
Originally Posted by Fox of Embers
What makes you think that? I got the feeling they like D&D and just made some house rules to improve things they thought weak and to give possibilites you have in P&P, but often not in computer adaptions.

But if we are switching rules.. how about a Traveller Adaption? That would be a massive (and for me welcome) surprise!
Traveller would be too grounded for Larian.

Probably, but I have been curious about that ever since I got Classic Traveller for free in a (digital) giveaway. laugh

And it seems no one cares about the system - I have been too late..

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I

Probably, but I have been curious about that ever since I got Classic Traveller for free in a (digital) giveaway. laugh

And it seems no one cares about the system - I have been too late..
Oh....this was long ago. I love the setting. They don't do this kind of old school interstellar SF anymore. But I also recall I didn't much like the system.

veteran
veteran
What makes you think that? I got the feeling they like D&D
Mostly the fact that in the last three years or so they showed nothing but contempt for how D&D works and plays and were constantly on the hunt for ways to "fix" it.
Fixes that for the most part turned out to be completely terrible and they had to backtrack on, while in some cases they did address issues with the original system, but more often than not in the most ham-fisted, heavy-handed and clumsy way possible.

Take for example of this last case the way they "fixed" the Berserker subclass for the Barbarian NOT by rebalancing the drawbacks (exhaustion until rest was admittedly a pretty excessive penalty for using Frenzy once) but removing them entirely.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
Originally Posted by Tuco
Mostly the fact that in the last three years or so they showed nothing but contempt for how D&D works and plays and were constantly on the hunt for ways to "fix" it.

Lol, you are talking like DnD rules are some kind of Hold Scripture that has never been amended or revisioned before.

W
veteran
veteran
W
In the beginning, Gary rolled a D20. This pleased Gary, and it was good.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Alyssa_Fox

Lol, you are talking like DnD rules are some kind of Hold Scripture that has never been amended or revisioned before.
The real trip is seeing 5 e be white knighted which makes me think a lot of the people doing this don't play table top as 3.5 is the edition that gets white Knighted in table top

veteran
veteran
No, I'm not. D&D in general is not even close to be my favorite P&P system or setting, incidentally.

On the other hand you are making a disingenuous attempt at a rebuttal again, which I'm not buying.
You are continuing on a long track record of "I don't know what I'm talking about, but by the hells, that won't stop me from talking anyway".

Last edited by Tuco; 28/07/23 09:57 PM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
W
veteran
veteran
W

The real trip is seeing 5 e be white knighted which makes me think a lot of the people doing this don't play table top as 3.5 is the edition that gets white Knighted in table top

I don’t keep tabs on who says what, so I can’t be positive, but I am pretty sure there is some overlap between people complaining about Larian homebrew rules and people who actively do not like 5th Edition. 😂

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Warlocke
I don’t keep tabs on who says what, so I can’t be positive, but I am pretty sure there is some overlap between people complaining about Larian homebrew rules and people who actively do not like 5th Edition. 😂
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
veteran
veteran

This isn't what Tuco is saying. He's commenting on the fact that Larian has made A LOT of changes to the rules (which they have). These changes significantly affect the balance and various actions of the game, and are mostly geared towards allowing more actions and/or removing restrictions. Swen, in particular, doesn't really seem to enjoy or get the 5e rules. In most videos of him playing it, he's constantly trying to free himself from the restrictions baked into 5e and and expressing disappointment that he can't do X."

There's nothing wrong with not liking a given ruleset. But given that Larian wants to make---and has made---so many changes to the D&D rules, it makes sense that Larian would likely have a more enjoyable time creating (or iterating on) their own game systems instead of having to modify 5e.

Put me down for the "Larian probably won't make another D&D game next" opinion. At the very least, I'm near certain that they won't be making another BG game or develop a game based on another tabletop system.

veteran
veteran
Oh, don't bother. She doesn't care what I'm actually saying.

That's also completely irrelevant.
But the day I'll start to give a damn I'll let you know.

Last edited by Tuco; 28/07/23 10:39 PM.

apprentice
apprentice
I want to play the full game before I pass judgement on the future of CRPGs, but it looks bright indeed.

A few years ago I was thinking about how awesome it would be if they would remake BGII with Mass Effect visuals.

Now we have BG3 in 3D with Jaheira and Minsc in it. Wish granted.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Warlocke
In the beginning, Gary rolled a D20. This pleased Gary, and it was good.

Nah, Gary rolled D6 like everyone else at the time. Then he discovered a pack of weird dice for math teachers to explain platonic solids smile

( That's the story anyway; but it's true that all wargame rules and board/counter rules that I recall from the 1960s/1970s used only D6).

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard