Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
addict
addict
L
I just wonder if we will need to await the full game before finding out how they will implement things.
Maybe it will a slight buff from 5e rules,,maybe after seeing the feedback it will be per 5e..maybe the article is just wrong.
Its interesting they saud werent encouraging multilclassing...made it a smaller icon at character levelling screen...then at the same time suggested it needed a buff for full casters. I just hope its not hardcoded so modders can change it.

old hand
old hand
I don't like multiclassing if most of the disadvantages were removed. In my opinion each class should be independently monitored. So if I level Barbarian to 4 and put the next point into Rogue (cause later I want the two bonus actions of Thief for my Berserker), then I should get the lvl 4 stuff of Barbarian + the lvl 1 stuff of Rogue. But not the second action the Barbarian would get at lvl 5.

It's ok that they removed the ability prerequisites. That they want to make spells and maybe other stuff more easily available than "normal" led me to the conclusion: Probably don't use multiclassing in BG3. Similar to not using stealth or a lot of shoving in EA.

As that's much speculation, let's wait and see.

Originally Posted by LostSoul
I just wonder if we will need to await the full game before finding out how they will implement things.
Maybe it will a slight buff from 5e rules,,maybe after seeing the feedback it will be per 5e..maybe the article is just wrong.
Its interesting they saud werent encouraging multilclassing...made it a smaller icon at character levelling screen...then at the same time suggested it needed a buff for full casters. I just hope its not hardcoded so modders can change it.

Probably not. At least one of the journalists that get review copies are sure to try it, and surely the embargo isn't going to last into launch--that wouldn't make any sense.

Originally Posted by biomag
Yeah, that's what I meant. In your Wizard 3 / Cleric 3 example I think Larian plans to give the multiclassed version access to all spells that they have spell slots for - so you could pick cleric spells as if you were a level 6 cleric and not level 3 - I guess wizards will maybe even on their level up then be able to learn spells as a wizard level 6 (not to mention the mess that their access to scrolls will allow). If Larian goes this way, you can sprinkle 1 level of Wizard into every other full caster and never bother to go higher on the Wizard and still have the full range of spells and full amount of spell slots. I guess that is also why they didn't bother fixing healing spell scrolls which wizards could learn in EA.
While neither Larian's games nor 5e are exactly known for their fantastic balance, I seriously hope this isn't the case because it's just too much. The designers at Larian can't possibly think a 5th level cleric should get access to fireball and haste just by taking 1 level in wizard. 5e spellcasters especially don't need any more power than they already have. Either way, we'll know for sure in a week.

veteran
veteran
It is very alarming to hear the lead systems designer basically say everyone needs Fireball sooner.

Fireball is probably the best example of an iconic power that exists to reward single class dedication. The reason to go single class in the first place. The last power you should readily hand out because it's so cool. It won't be so cool anymore if every Bard 4 / Wizard 1 has it.

If the lead systems designer doesn't get that WotC should put their foot down and educate them. Probably Larian have a contract that allows them to mess things up as they want though.

Turning Wizard into a dip 1 -class would be something I wouldn't be able to recover from anymore. Probably the liberal scroll use already is when we start seeing stuff like a late game Karlach unleashing her scroll arsenal of Disintegrates and Greater Invisibility to beat a tough encounter.

Last edited by 1varangian; 26/07/23 10:44 AM.
Didn't the video in which Swen talks about the mutliclass thing has him mention fireball as an example for something you do not get?
Yes, he said that they want to make multiclassing less punishing, but I did not get the impression that this means that they just give everyone fireball.

I can't find the video-link anymore, does anyone have it?
I would like to rewatch it, to maybe get a better feel to the two sentences.

Last edited by Fox of Embers; 26/07/23 12:03 PM.
J
stranger
stranger
J
Hi, i have a question about bard's college of lore subclass features.
In early access you get this constant Additional Proficiencies: Gain Proficiency in Arcana, Intimidation and Sleight of Hand.
But in original D&D5E in PHB you recive this bonus: Bonus proficencies: when you join the College of Lore at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with three skills of your choice.

So you can pick 3 proficiency and i want to do it instead of gaining 3 constant skills. I wonder if larian will change that in full game, i dont want my bard to have an Intimidation proficiency. Do we have any information about that?

S
stranger
stranger
S
If the game releases with multiclassing being broken, and snagging 1 level of wizard gets you all their spells, then that would be a huge disappointment. I am really looking forward to multiclassing, but I just wouldn't do it if it was that busted. My characters wouldn't have any flavor if they were multiclassed. "Oh look, another multiclassed caster with every spell in the game, just like my previous playthrough."

I'd feel like I was forced to stay single class just to keep things fun. I'm sure that would make tactician difficulty really rough if multiclassing ends up being overpowered.

Hoping for the best, but definitely worried with the little info we have.

Originally Posted by 1varangian
It is very alarming to hear the lead systems designer basically say everyone needs Fireball sooner.

Fireball is probably the best example of an iconic power that exists to reward single class dedication. The reason to go single class in the first place. The last power you should readily hand out because it's so cool. It won't be so cool anymore if every Bard 4 / Wizard 1 has it.

Turning Wizard into a dip 1 -class would be something I wouldn't be able to recover from anymore. Probably the liberal scroll use already is when we start seeing stuff like a late game Karlach unleashing her scroll arsenal of Disintegrates and Greater Invisibility to beat a tough encounter.

Weirdly, I have more of an issue with the scrolls than I do the MCing. I guess because you can sort of choose not to MC if you don't want to, but the scroll thing exists regardless. Honestly being able to dip for spells isn't an issue to me though, and I suspect Larian thinks similarly in this regard, because if you don't want to go that route you can just stick to a single class. Pure casters work just fine. I don't see it as 'won't be so cool anymore' because you still have spell slot limits, there's over 600 spells, and it's up to you what type of spellcaster you want to be. There's enough room to focus on specific elements or spell types or *gestures* And that's all fine, even with a broader spell list. If anything a broader spell list just gives you more room to pick decent options for your theme, tbh, which I think is sort of where they're trying to lean. Greater RP and greater character options.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Keep in mind though, you are going to get MAD real quick if you are multiclassing wisdom and intelligence. You may have fireball on your wizard list, but if you have a 10 or 12 in int, it's going to be be doing half damage a lot more than if you single classed.

Back from timeout.
8/8/8 stat start, let's gooooo

W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by benbaxter
Keep in mind though, you are going to get MAD real quick if you are multiclassing wisdom and intelligence. You may have fireball on your wizard list, but if you have a 10 or 12 in int, it's going to be be doing half damage a lot more than if you single classed.

Yeah. We don’t know how it is implemented yet, but I think there is a good chance it won’t be quite as broken as it initially appears to be.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Warlocke

Yeah. We don’t know how it is implemented yet, but I think there is a good chance it won’t be quite as broken as it initially appears to be.
Larian did say that they plan on having various stat-boosting items like the Headband of Intellect to encourage such multiclassing. If they give powerful versions of items that set stats to 19 (or 20!) rather than just 17, then you won't need to worry too much about these multiclass combos being MAD.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mrfuji3

Larian did say that they plan on having various stat-boosting items like the Headband of Intellect to encourage such multiclassing. If they give powerful versions of items that set stats to 19 (or 20!) rather than just 17, then you won't need to worry too much about these multiclass combos being MAD.

Yeah, 'you won't need to worry' is the vibe they are definitely going for.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Still the opportunity cost, can't take the "refill a bonus action when you deal fire damage" helm

veteran
veteran
Except this is not only about Fireball and whether or not it might have a DC a few points lower.

It's about Clerics / Paladins / Bards / Warlocks / whoever dipping into Wizard to get their stuff, if it's being made easier. Misty Step. Mirror Image. Cloud of Daggers. Detect Thoughts. Disguise Self. Fly. Stoneskin. Counterspell.

Not everything has a DC. And I have a feeling they are making this theft very easy to do.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by 1varangian
Except this is not only about Fireball and whether or not it might have a DC a few points lower.

It's about Clerics / Paladins / Bards / Warlocks / whoever dipping into Wizard to get their stuff, if it's being made easier. Misty Step. Mirror Image. Cloud of Daggers. Detect Thoughts. Disguise Self. Fly. Stoneskin. Counterspell.

Not everything has a DC. And I have a feeling they are making this theft very easy to do.

Yep, sounds like they are depending on action economy to handle balance.

Back from timeout.
veteran
veteran
Ah yes, the action economy.

Laughs in Spell + Hasted Spell + Quickened Spell + item that give you an extra Bonus Action spell (or the BA cantrip "Shove") + Action Surged Spell + Fast Hands Bonus Action (quickened spell, obviously) + probably another item(set) that makes spells more powerful and/or gives you another action to cast a spell.

Ah yes, the action economy.

Laughs in Spell + Hasted Spell + Quickened Spell + item that give you an extra Bonus Action spell (or the BA cantrip "Shove") + Action Surged Spell + Fast Hands Bonus Action (quickened spell, obviously) + probably another item(set) that makes spells more powerful and/or gives you another action to cast a spell.

At this point you're just TRYING to find something broken, though, and if you're hardcore looking for it you're going to find it--it's impossible to fully balance a game of this magnitude. JUST having access to other spell lists isn't in and of itself broken; hell, WotC allows it, depending on choices. Ultimately we're still going to run into issues of only one conc spell, and only one spell per turn without other things stacked on top of that. I think it's fine, tbh.

W
veteran
veteran
W
There are a good many posters here who have spent the last three years looking for things to complain about at every opportunity (many of them visiting here almost every day and making sure everybody knows how unsatisfied there are). You learn to tune it out after a while.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard