Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello there good folks!

I start by saying that i am tremendously excited about the game and story! Following the progress the past few years i am sure it will be a success!

But as i am in the suggestion and feedback thread. I have a question / feedback:

For a long time Larian promised (was somewhere in the Forum and announced in the press) that we will get a "roll for stats" option in the character creation. I feel like it has been silent for far to long or i havent seen the new about it. Are we still getting said roll for stats? I surely hope so, since one of BG3 advertised features is -dice roll anything- (more or less).

Has anyone seen news about that? Or dear Moderators, would you mind giving a statement/ link to a statement?

Cheers

See you in Fearûn

Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Swen Vincke has confirmed in recent interviews that rolling for stats will not be available on release.

Larian, please make accessibility a priority for upcoming patches.
veteran
veteran
I'm glad they're not putting different ability score generation methods in. Solasta has that and I hate it. When you use point buy, you have a nagging feeling that you could have rolled for better stats and more powerful characters. When you "roll" and have the stats as high as you like, it feels like cheating. They tossed in standard array as well to make it even more confusing.

And let's face it, the rules for rolling ability scores are that you roll 4d6 drop lowest, once. How many players would accept the first roll in a video game if they didn't like it? How should the game police that you roll only once? By disallowing a restart and forcing you to play with that character for 8 hours? So it's essentially not about rolling in a CRPG, it's about getting a lot of 18's. So just give a free edit instead. Powergamers will be able to mod their characters to have all 18's anyway.

Much like a tabletop DM decides how ability scores are generated in their campaign, Larian has to choose for BG3 and balance their game accordingly. Imo, point buy is a good balanced way to generate stats in a multiplayer game that still allows freedom and choice.

Last edited by 1varangian; 24/07/23 11:52 AM.
B
old hand
old hand
B
+1

E
E
I would have liked to roll stats. It is a pity it is not there for the people who likes to roll. And yes, even the ones who reroll like BG1 and BG2. I think it is just personnel preferences. Of course, if people are allowed to edit their characters, they can do the rolling of stats with physical dices. For people who play pen and paper, it would allow to translate their favourite characters into the game. That would also be nice. And if someone wants to have all 18s, it is their game. I've no problem with that.

Anyway, I've played solasta and the character creation worked well. I've played the EA and point built works ok. What I wish is to be able to optimize (to my group) the companions' attributes.

V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Point buy limits choice and variety.

Rolling adds to variety.

Who cares if powergamers want all 18s. Let them.

Rolling is fir variety. My favorite dnd characters didn't need 18s. Some if themeven lower stats. *shrug*

Lack of options, choice, and variety always quakers dnd games.

journeyman
journeyman
In BG and BG2 obtaining all 18 stats in rolling in BG was statistically impossible. Besides, AD&D was entirely different from 5e, and the game could be ruthless even if your character had all 18 stats.

Really glad rolling for stats isn't in, honestly. If it was I'd really want an option to turn it off for my game, tbh.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
It is a DnD Game and more over it is a PC game, meaning a PC game give us not as much leeway as a DM might do. I personally hate point buy, it is gut-wrenching for me. I used a lot of the standard array on my games. But if someone wants to roll, buy or use standard should be a choice for the player.
It matter not to you, or to anyone else if there is an option to roll, buy or use standard. Use what you prefer, if people prefer to get more powerful stats by rolling and they feel good with it, you should let them.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Originally Posted by Flooter
Swen Vincke has confirmed in recent interviews that rolling for stats will not be available on release.

Does that mean it will be implemented someday?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheHereticSpot
No.

It may be ... but this is no promise.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by TheHereticSpot

It will be a mod, in fact there are already mods that do this for the EA version. It may take a minute for them to get it re-built for the full game though.

If you have questions about it you should check out the Mod community on the Larian Discord. They are really helpful and friendly.

https://discord.gg/larianstudios

Blackheifer
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Mods don't count. It's not in the game. Modders aren't selling the game. They owe nothing. Thst said, no rolling is dissapointing, but I'll survive. Not the first game to be anti dnd. frown

H
HZM Offline
journeyman
journeyman
H
How is rolling for stats NOT in? Wasn't this something promised at release literally years ago? They are focusing too much on cosmetic bullshit IMO. I don't care about a vitiligo slider or customized genitals.

I agree that rolling should have been an option... I have never been a fan of the current system, but I always held out hope that the rolling would be implemented as it was originally implied back near EA launch.

I wish they just let you pick the points you could spend on stats when choosing game difficulty. Like, Tactician (0 Point Buy) is the hardest setting (every attribute is an 8) and Narrative (54 Point Buy) is the hardest (every attribute is a 15). Then you could also do multiplayer with the same difficulty for everyone.

veteran
veteran
I still believe that giving us more (114 if i remwmber corectly) point to distribue and option to start game with not all points spend ( and discard the rest ofc. )

Would be easiest way to allow us "roll" without needing to implementing the roll itself.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
old hand
old hand
There is not even a decent custom party creator. Imagine the EA cumbersome workaround by starting multiple instances + rolling for stats. Disaster! If rolling for stats then first of all please a reasonable custom party creator like in IWD and a char export / import function.

Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
I still believe that giving us more (114 if i remwmber corectly) point to distribue and option to start game with not all points spend ( and discard the rest ofc. )

Would be easiest way to allow us "roll" without needing to implementing the roll itself.
I think starting with all 18s and reducing what you want is fine, but I want to have a legend that lets me know how much my cheating deviates from what the devs consider a "normal" difficulty. Like Narrative (15 Point Buy) = Balanced (27 Point Buy) = Tactician (36 Point Buy) and if you move the points up it perhaps has a color-code that shows you decreased (more green) difficulty and if you move the points down it has increased (more red) difficulty.

I'm not sure why they needed to take away the ability to spend another 3 points to get a 16, 6 points to get a 17, or 10 points to get an 18, like in D&D 3.5. Seems to me the tradeoff is pretty fair.

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I don't think rolling for stats works so well in a computer game. If you can just reroll until you get something you like there's no point really, and if there's no reroll ppl will find ways around that since very few people will be satisfied playing a character with low stats. So I am very happy with the current system where you can distribute points to fit the kind of character you like to play.

Computer games are different from pen and paper roleplay where playing a weak character may be just as fun as playing a strong one if you have the right spirit. Yes, it could be too in a computer game, but that would be a huge challenge for developers creating a story and gameplay with choices that would reward good roleplay over character power. Definitely no easy task.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard