Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Originally Posted by Tuco
And OF COURSE no one who's asking for this system in a computer game is willing to settle for "taking whatever they get at the first roll". The goal is obviously to keep rerolling until an ideal lineup of results comes out of it.
Even if ...
Is that a bad thing for some reason ... or?

It's just a fact.

The bad things, conversely, are:

- that this large disparity of effectiveness exists between the two systems.

- what this does for balance between players at a table. When your character may end up having something like a 15 stat points disparity with your suspiciously "lucky" companion of adventures it might be hard not to feel like you got the shaft. You aren't even playing in the same league at that point.

Last edited by Tuco; 30/07/23 10:11 AM.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
V
enthusiast
enthusiast
V
Rolling has never made things 'unbalanced'. That's a myth. Rolling adds to the fun, challenge, randomness, coolness, sexyness, brilliance, awesomeness, freeing, imaginative, intellectual, and fantasticness of dnd. It's that great!!!

In comparision: point buy is boring, bland, unimaginative, stagnant, unbalanced, garbage, awful, lazy, easy, unintellectual, ugly, unsexy, not cool, limiting, and majes gane worse than they should be.

veteran
veteran
Questionable at best, but I really don't care about what the excuses for rolling are supposed to be.
That's not the point I was making, to begin with.

The issue is not what people like the most or what's balanced; the issue is that WOTC creates this disparity in demand/appreciation for the two systems by making one inherently far more effective than the other.

Party control in Baldur's Gate 3 is a complete mess that begs to be addressed. SAY NO TO THE TOILET CHAIN
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Volourn
Rolling has never made things 'unbalanced'. That's a myth.
That sounds a little exaggerated ...
I would dare to say, its completely irellevant.

Same phylosophy as with everything else ... dont want it > dont use it.

Im all in for option to disable it for Multiplayer tho.
It would save people lots of problems.

Originally Posted by Tuco
The issue is not what people like the most or what's balanced; the issue is that WOTC creates this disparity in demand/appreciation for the two systems by making one inherently far more effective than the other.
While i agree with this statement ...
I feel like that is something that apply to whole DnD and therefore should be said to WotC (who will most likely not care btw) ... rather than Larian, or us ... since neither of those groups have any power to change it. :-/

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
Originally Posted by Xurtan
It certainly skews balance. At least with point buy you can balance around a certain expectation, with rolled stats you just sort of have to give up and balance towards an average.
Adjusting difficulty levels does the same thing. The easiest setting is quite similar to having +4 to every attribute (perhaps not quite that good because it doesn't add to damage, AFAIK). If you want an "easy" experience on Tactician difficulty, maybe all 18's would do the trick. Accounting for random rolling is as easy as accounting for difficulty levels.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Same phylosophy as with everything else ... dont want it > dont use it.

Yeah, but it's the "same philosophy" that is wrong in this and in almost every other context, disappointingly enough.

veteran
veteran
One wise Tuco once said that there is nobody more blind than person who refuses to see. smile
Think about it, it was wise words. wink

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
B
stranger
stranger
B
Now that the Mac version has been officially announced, I'm only waiting for this to start my journey laugh

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard